Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow KimB!!.. you're really making headway!!

I did not get to my bedroom end table drawer as I wanted to - because I was glued to the TV after getting home from work.

I have it on my list of things to do today.

I think tomorrow, I might pack up my car with DD24's boxes she left here and bring them to her. She'll be mad but, oh well. SHe doesn't want the stuff at her new place - but she deosn't want to go through them at my house, so I could either donate or get rid of them. sheesh!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today will be more fun and games at Mom's. We have a short-term goal, but the storm threw a wrench in that because now the van is parked at the bottom of the hill and we need the truck. So do we take the truck, which will then probably have to sit at the bottom of the hill till the snow melts off the driveway? The truck has all the boxes we'll need in it. Or do we take the van, which has far less space for hauling and no boxes, and leave the truck safely in the garage? I'm sort of leaning towards taking the truck. If it has to sit at the bottom of the hill, it shouldn't be for longer than a couple days. There's a lot of snow but it should melt pretty fast. Decisions, decisions, as if I don't have to make enough of those in this project. I hope we get lots done.

I hope this is the last of the snow for this year, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm still ripping CDs...about 50 on the floor beside me. And, if I do all the classical music, another 100 probably. Man! This takes a long time! I'm home all day today, so will probably be working on other decluttering as well. I'm wanting to finish off the master bedroom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm still in the kitchen, didn't get anything done yesterday, DH has a clear schedlue so might try and get the front porch done.

You guys are making so much progress, I feel like I am standing still, or I just have that big of a mess. lol

OM take care of yourself, I am so glad you are getting some help!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sorrry, lost the post then it showed up.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finished wiping the surfaces in the Master Bedroom. Looks much nicer in there. Hopefully I can get hubby to vacuum when he comes home. It's been 3 weeks since he's had a day off and I am under doctor's orders NOT to use the vacuum or do any other heavy lifting/weird bending. I hate to get hubby to vacuum on his one day off in 3 weeks. He's a meeting for work now. So it's hardly a day off even!

Ripping through Schubert CDs...about 50 of the least important ones. Don't know what to do with all the boxed sets. Mom sure liked Schubert!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finally did it... I organized the bedroom end table drawer that seemed to collect junk. How does this happen?
    Here's the before pic. No Laughing! You all know you have junk drawers like this! lol!

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-20-14.19.54.jpg

Here's the after pic. I discarded a bunch of stuff and put other stuff in its rightful spot.

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-20-14.35.18.jpg

While I'm baring my soul, here's yesterday's organization drawers.

LR end table Drawer 1 before. I tossed a bit of old doggy stuff and gave other stuff to DD24.
    Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-18-15.15.10.jpg

LR End table drawer 1 after
    Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-18-15.20.47.jpg

LR end table 2 Before. I tossed a bunch of stuff and put back others in their rightful place.

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-18-15.22.28.jpg

LR End table 2 After

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-18-15.25.56.jpg

I feel so free!!!

Next up - Hmmmm.... Let's seeeeee..... uhhhmmm.. you know that cabinet that houses all the plastic storage things? well that has gotten out of control.
    Tomorrow's 15 minute task will be to organize the plastics cabinet.

I have to remember that one of these nice spring days I will clean the windows and screens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-20-14.19.54.jpg  

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-18-15.20.47.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great job FN! I'm impressed. It's been a long time since I saw the bottom of a drawer.

Hubby came home and crashed on the sofa for a nap. Poor guy. He just wilted when I mentioned vacuuming. I might have to spend some money on a cleaner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I havent been able to read through the whole thread, so forgive me if these ideas arent new..
    I like to look around for at least one item to take with me when I leave a room, something that belongs wherever I'm going.
    I also try to declutter paper, the junk draw etc while waiting for water to boil for tea, or the microwave to ding.
    From FlyLady, I learned about the 27 Fling Boogie. Grab an empty grocery bag or trash bag and find 27 things to throw away (even a scrap of paper counts) or 27 to donate..whichever category you feel like working on. Then take the bag straight to your trashcan outside or to your car to drop off for donation. It's actually kinda fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really need to do this. I have a friend in who does the more physically taxing cleaning, but I can't expect her to put stuff away too!

I have two projects that really must get done. Papers. I have most sorted by year in boxes in the top of the closet, but I really can't climb to access the top of the closet any more, so today I bought a filing cabinet that should arrive in a week or so. Then the boxes have to be sorted, culled, refiled. I never dealt with last year,s papers and didn't want to mix up this year's with them in the "current year" basket, so this year's are just drifting here and there. I've got to get on top of that. I can't believe it's April and I haven't done that.

The other thing is to reorganize kitchen storage. I started it and stopped part way through. A LONG time ago. Now stuff is really scattered and disorganized there.

For the most part, things seem to pretty much ok on the organization front, except for those two areas. On cleaning - I need to defrost the freezer. I'll catch that in a week or two. I won't check in often - just when I get one of these three tasks done.

Thanks for the thread!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I passed by hubby's office and paused to peek in. It's a disaster zone! Some of the stuff in the filing cabinets is mine. I think I will make an effort to go through them and pull my stuff out so it frees up some more room. I mentioned his office and he wants to switch rooms with me, so he has the sewing room and I have the office room (about half the size). As the sewing room is overflowing too, this doesn't make sense...yet. But we'll see... I think I will come up with a plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mom wasn't in the mood to sort stuff today, so I could see today was not the day to start going through the emotionally-charged antique dishes. So we started in the bedroom where she whipped through two large dressers and purged two large trash bags, two big boxes to donate, a large trash bag of old clothes to give to a local mechanic for rags, and a couple boxes of papers to recycle. She said there was no need to go through the cedar chest because she just knew she wanted to keep everything in it. I suggested we just look through it and see if she could find a thing or two to let go. She ended up getting rid of at least half what was in there. It was hard for her. My uncle was a career fighter pilot in the Air Force and served all over the world. A lot of the stuff in the chest was exotic textiles from India, Africa, Japan, and all over the world, a lot of it WW II vintage. Still, she let it go with no prompting. It was all beautiful, and like new, and completely useless. Once again, I'm proud of her. This is NOT easy for her, but she's making the best of it.

Husby went around the house and tried to gather up all her various papers. Holy moly, she has stuff EVERYWHERE. Letters and cards in drawers, the cedar chest, tucked into books, in jewelry boxes. No rhyme or reason, they're just all over, literally. So far, we have gathered up a huge tote of just the personal correspondence, and brought home a big tote and two big boxes of financial stuff for us to go through.

We gathered up all the unsorted stuff in the sewing room and moved it to the office, so we could put the stuff for the rummage sale in there. So that's organized now.

Luckily, Mom is willing to hire movers for the half dozen or so large pieces left, so the sloppy winter roads are less of an issue and it'll save our backs, too. The only big piece we will need to move ourselves is a chest of drawers and that shouldn't be that bad. Good thing too. My back is wrecked and I don't think I could move much more of the big stuff.

Tomorrow, I hope we can tackle her antique hutch. There's some touchy stuff in there, including a set of Noritake china sent home from Japan by my uncle the pilot, and another set of really nice china that was a wedding gift to Mom and Dad from her parents. I think most of that stuff she will be keeping. I'll take one set of china, but have no idea where to put it.

Lots and lots to do yet, but we're making progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2James View Post
    I havent been able to read through the whole thread, so forgive me if these ideas arent new..
    I like to look around for at least one item to take with me when I leave a room, something that belongs wherever I'm going.
    I also try to declutter paper, the junk draw etc while waiting for water to boil for tea, or the microwave to ding.
    From FlyLady, I learned about the 27 Fling Boogie. Grab an empty grocery bag or trash bag and find 27 things to throw away (even a scrap of paper counts) or 27 to donate..whichever category you feel like working on. Then take the bag straight to your trashcan outside or to your car to drop off for donation. It's actually kinda fun!
    Thanks for these tips, I have a cd that I will put in when I need to really get in the mood to clean, I'll clean until my favorite songs are done.

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    I really need to do this. I have a friend in who does the more physically taxing cleaning, but I can't expect her to put stuff away too!

I have two projects that really must get done. Papers. I have most sorted by year in boxes in the top of the closet, but I really can't climb to access the top of the closet any more, so today I bought a filing cabinet that should arrive in a week or so. Then the boxes have to be sorted, culled, refiled. I never dealt with last year,s papers and didn't want to mix up this year's with them in the "current year" basket, so this year's are just drifting here and there. I've got to get on top of that. I can't believe it's April and I haven't done that.

The other thing is to reorganize kitchen storage. I started it and stopped part way through. A LONG time ago. Now stuff is really scattered and disorganized there.

For the most part, things seem to pretty much ok on the organization front, except for those two areas. On cleaning - I need to defrost the freezer. I'll catch that in a week or two. I won't check in often - just when I get one of these three tasks done.

Thanks for the thread!
    Looking foward to your posts.

I'm home from work and church now, so the timer is being set and bathrooms need to be deep cleaned as ds and host son had the intestinal flu past couple days and we have respite client coming tomorrow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The kitchem cabinets and drawers are finished! I still need to wash 2 walls, clean the oven and clean out the fridge.... DH got the front porch all cleaned up, now we need to wash the blinds, windows and walls....... We put in a good 4 hours. I will do more tomorrow.

Frugal Nurse, great job! Everyone is doing great!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bathroom sanitized and restocked (need to get us all new toothbrushes) bedding changed and dirty ones being sanitized. Linen closet organized very quickly as long as I was in it. Bag of older bedding that is never used packed for GW.
    Dh put away the laundry.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast