Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge - Page 8
Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I posted some CDs online for sale. Will see what happens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since spring is (nearly) here, I've been gathering up all the stray hats, gloves and scarves around the house into one tote bag in the hall closet. Doing little task like that as I can, since I'm on modified bed rest (3rd baby due in late May)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I did as I promised...
    my 15 minute of organization was the plastics cabinet that looked like chaos.
    I took out and tossed what I don't use and used what I needed for food storage (I was cooking up for the week) and organized what was left. Much better! aaaaaaahhhhhhh..... the freedom is spectacular!

I have before and after pics - but they're not too stunning. lol
    Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-21-11.11.39.jpg
    Before: chaos

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-2013-04-21-11.17.29.jpg
    After: order

For tomorrow's task I will have to organize and clean off my desk at work. I will be at work all day and immediately to school afer work so no time for home stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Only a half day at Mom's today, but we got a lot done. The weather was about to go bad, so we opted not to start on the hutch but did have some discussions about it.

It occurred to me last night while I was busy not sleeping that Mom did not have to keep the whole set of the Noritake. She could keep service for four and then sell the other service for four. She loved that idea, so I'm glad I thought of it. She decided to sell the gravy boat she hates and the creamer and sugar bowl she would never use and keep the two serving bowls and the platter, reducing the keepers even more. We also concluded she could probably get both sets into the cabinet above the fridge in her new place. That cabinet won't be very useful for her anyway, and if she wants to get something down, we'll be around to help her since it wouldn't be for everyday use.

We moved her carnival glass pitcher and glasses to her apartment and put it on top the kitchen cabinet between the living room and kitchen, where the light shines through it. Beautiful!

We moved her bookcase and put all her VCR tapes and cassettes in it, where they all fit perfectly with enough space left over for her collection of wildlife field guides. It looks great and she's going to love it. We also finished unpacking all her books and brought in her cedar chest which will serve as a coffee table in the LR, and put all the stuff back in that.

We moved her two small TVs in, and assured her new neighbor Mom isn't laying in her apartment dead. The neighbor was worried because she never heard anything from Mom's apartment. She didn't realize Mom has not moved in yet, so she was relieved.

We moved in a little stand my dad had made and the cable box fits in it like it was made for it. The top shelf will hold a couple of plants, which Mom has been hoping there would be room for. I also figured out her pretty peace lily in the pretty basket will fit on the floor in front of the AC unit that comes through the wall, on a little dolly so she can move it out of the way when the AC has to be on.

All of Mom's furniture is now moved, except for a few pieces she will hire a moving company to deal with. We all concluded $100/hour for two large guys and a matching large truck was a pretty darn good deal and well worth it to move that large heavy awkward furniture. I have to call them this week and see if they think they can get a 34 inch couch through a 29 inch doorway. The rest that's left in the house will be sold.

Unfortunately, we also dragged home a truckload of old papers to sort again, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Shame as a motivator, as I suggested earlier in this thread, isn't going to work for me to clear out the loft/roof space. Why? Because I can close the hatch on it and it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind". But when I do have to go up there (about once a week) - I hate the chaos. So what do I do? I grab whatever it is I went up there for and escape quickly. Close the hatch. Don't think about it.

Until next time.

There is - in my opinion - NOTHING I could "pay" myself as a reward, for spending even 15 minutes up in that junk space. Any suggestions for rewards that might work?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! SD! that's a whopping task you have to do! holy carumba! that's 15 minutes to the nth degree!

Eta: cross post with Toffeekit..
    reward: peace man. peace.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, FN. Moving nine rooms and a garage into three rooms with two small storage lockers is a challenge, for sure. Mom is doing amazingly well, even though it's really hard for her to let all the stuff go. But she agrees it will be a good change in the long run. We've been telling her that, and she says my brother has been telling her the same, so we are all a united front at least. We're hoping she can move in two or three weeks. Then we'll go from sorting and purging and switch the focus to getting ready to sell whatever's left.

Toffeekit, try grabbing a box of stuff to take downstairs and sort just that. Repeat as needed, one per day. I had the same problem with our spare bedroom. I couldn't deal with it and would just shut the door and forget about the mess. But dealing with it one or two boxes at a time helped me get through it. It broke the task down so it was manageable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Toffeekit, try grabbing a box of stuff to take downstairs and sort just that. Repeat as needed, one per day. I had the same problem with our spare bedroom. I couldn't deal with it and would just shut the door and forget about the mess. But dealing with it one or two boxes at a time helped me get through it. It broke the task down so it was manageable.
    Great advice Spirit Deer!
    I've been doing this with a furnace room full of boxes of stuff. I take one box and sit in a chair that has 3 containers in front of it. One for garbage, one for donation, and one for things I want to save for awhile yet.
    I worked on one box for my first 15 minutes of cleaning/organizing tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't get back to the kitchen today, had to catch up on laundry, vaccuming etc.

Going to try and clean the oven tomorrow.

Spirit Deer and KimB, I'm going to try the one tote at a time for the basement, instead of trying to wade through it all at once.

I think you are going through your Mom's house really fast. It took us months to go through Dh Dads place. Bet she is really thankful you are there to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're really pushing to get through Mom's house. We have a brand new camper sitting in the yard and we selfishly want to have a chance to use it this year. Mom needs to move. She's currently fifteen miles from medical care and a bunch of other services she needs and it's getting to be too much for her to care for the place. Her house is going on the market May 1, so if by some miracle she gets an offer right away, she would need to have all her stuff out of it quite soon after that. Additionally, we are hosting an RV rally in July in the Black Hills, which we really can't get out of and don't want to anyway. We also have been trying to de-clutter and purge our own house and get some projects done. We just can't let this drag out.

I'm good at sorting stuff, organizing (though you'd never know it by looking at my house right now), figuring out what order things need to be done in, and setting priorities, all handy skills to have in situations like this. Husby is good at dealing with paperwork so he's taking on a lot of that task, which helps tons. Mom is cooperating by getting rid of far more stuff than we ever thought she would and doing her best to cut down to the bare essentials. I worry it won't be enough, but after this weekend I'm feeling cautiously optimistic because of what's been done and what still needs to be done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

De-cluttered a bookshelf in the Master Bedroom. It sure is dusty! Posted the books online to sell, and threw the ones Mom had written in in the recycling.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This weekend I made a lot of progress on organization/de-cluttering/cleaning.

For the first time in 4 years, I asked DH to move the fridge and the stove, and cleaned the floor under them. Gross! And who knew that under the stove was a measuring spoon, 3 bristle blocks, 5 play dough toys, and various assorted legos?

I made it to Salvation Army with the bouncer, exersaucer, pack and play, and 3 bags of clothing. I've tried selling and giving away the baby equipment, couldn't get rid of it, so might as well take the tax write off. I probably have another 5-6 bags of clothing, but I had to document it for tax time and the baby only naps so long, LOL. At least I got the baby equipment out of the house. Of course, as soon as I started on the mudroom I ran into my "box of stuff to take the SA."

Worked on the mudroom and yard just putting things away! DH left the lawn mower out all winter. Somehow the leaf blower stayed in the mudroom all winter, along with a bag of grass seed. I moved everything out to the shed that belonged there. I also did a quick inventory of yard toys and threw away a scooter and plastic tricycle. The tricycle we had picked up from the side of the road the the tread in the tire is non-existant now, and the part of the scooter than you stand on cracked in half last fall, and it's plastic so it really can't be fixed. I also pitched some old sandbox toys that had cracked and broken. DH was inspired and actually did a bit of yardwork today, too.

I made a huge dent in our clothing - I flung some stuff of mine that needed to go, went through all of the baby's stuff and got rid of the fleecy blanket sleepers and other things he's outgrown, and went through all of DS#1's stuff and got rid of things he's outgrown. I washed just about every single piece of clothing in the house except for 1 load of my stuff. While I probably still have 5-6 bags of clothes that need to be donated, it's at least all sitting in one pile separate from the rest of our clothes. I also rounded up everyone's shoes and figured out what size we're all wearing and what we need to buy.

Since I was going to the SA and had to fit all that stuff in my car, I went through my trunk of my car. Over the years I've been given more "car kits" than I can count, and honestly I haven't used a single one. So I pitched flashlights that didn't work, extras of things (will I really need 5 ponchos if the car breaks down in the rain? How many bandaids am I actually going to need to carry in the trunk?), and a few things that were just trash. I was able to go through my makeshift diaper bag for the baby and change out the diapers from size 1 to size 3, and update the spare clothes to sizes he's actually wearing now.

My next big project I want to tackle is my makeup drawer. I placed a large Sephora order this weekend, so when it gets here I'm going to do a major de-cluttering/organization there! I also want to finish going through my stuff in my closet. I also placed a clothing order from an online clothing site, so I'm hoping when it gets here and I try stuff on and put it away I can finish going through the rest of my closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WOW Telephus! great going!!

Today, as promised, I cleaned and organized my desktop. Nothing changed on it. I needed to keep everything that is on the desk ... on it. So, I just wiped it down. However, my bulletin board was out of sorts..
    as seen here

some improvement after the fact. I took a lot of the stickies down that I didn't need anymore.

Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-deskclean-003.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge-deskclean-001.jpg  

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SpiritDeer, I've taken your advice and given the loft/roof space 15 minutes of my time and there is now stuff to throw out and stuff to go to the charity shop: and I know exactly what fall-back curtains and throws I have (for when the usual stuff is in the laundry).

Will I do another 15 minutes tomorrow? Maybe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I now have a deadline. I caved partially...I am talking to the Merry Maids about coming in for a top to bottom clean. I cannot do it physically, and hubby won't do it. So it will come from the money I save from groceries and earn from selling things.

Speaking of which...I have someone coming to pick up a box of paperback self-help/psychology/personal finance books today.

Meanwhile, it's back to serious de-cluttering. The less I have to clean around, the easier the cleaning will be. At least I'm hoping...

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast