Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge
Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Spring Cleaning and Organizing challenge

I need a challenge to get my house deep cleaned and organized.
    House cleaning has never been a priority for me, when I get home from work or have a day off cleaning it is the last thing I want to do.
    I do clean superficially, throw things in a junk drawer, clean the toilets etc. Sweep it under the rug kind of cleaning sometimes.
    As I am finding appliances that I have neglected to maintain properly I am realizing that I need to be more organized.

In the process of getting deep cleaning done, I want to organize and also fix any problem areas I find.

The challenges in this forum have been motivational to me, so I figure a spring cleaning/organizing challenge will be beneficial as well.
    Getting started on a project is part of my problem, I will use a tip found on the net: set a timer for 15 minutes and get as much done as you can
    before the time runs out. On my days off I will start with 30 minutes. Getting started is half my battle. (I read this works well with children as well)

Staying on task is another problem area for me. I need to set a specific obtainable goal and stick with it until accomplished.

My plan is to report back on here with what I accomplished in my 15 or more minutes of cleaning and organizing.
    Anyone welcome to join me if you need a boost to get your house deep cleaned and organized.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will join you! I really need to start my spring cleaning plus I Really need to organize.

I have started to clean and something else comes up and I end up starting all over. Working 15 min. at time doesn't sound too bad, maybe that will give me the boost I need!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, boy, am I IN!

Not only do we have our house to purge, clean, and organize, but my mom is moving to an apartment and we're doing the bulk of the work helping her sort, and it's mostly me organizing her apartment.

Additionally, we have two RVs to sell. One of them is already cleaned out, but the motorhome has to be emptied yet and all the stuff sorted and most of it gotten rid of.

And besides that, a lot of my mom's stuff is coming into our house now, and because we're spending so much time at her place, ours is becoming overwhelmed and even more disorganized.

Currently, I'm focusing on getting my sewing room in order. I recently bought my sixth sewing machine and have to make room for it plus another sewing table, so I have to purge and organize that room so I'll have space.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in. 15 minutes a day sounds doable. I have several areas that need organizing and deep cleaning always needs to be done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome Ladies,
    I'm hoping to get my dh and live at home adult son to give 15 minutes to this challenge as well.
    As I clean and organize I will start a home management binder.
    Share any ideas you come up with for organizing frugally.
    A clean and organized home will reduce stress, save time, reduce waste and maintain a healthier environment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

KimB... I've been looking for a home to organize. lol! Wisconsin isn't that far. lol.

Kudos for you for wanted to grab control of your home.
    I joined this challenge 52 Weeks To An Organized Home: Join The Weekly Challenges at the beginning of the year, but you can join anytime. It's helped me to remember to go through things. Maybe it will give you ideas. Once a month and sometimes weekly, I get an email to remind me.. "it's clean out your recipes week". and how to do it.

My home is pretty well organized (even my junk drawer. I swear!) and clean but there is room for improvement. I'm a minimalist so I don't have that much stuff.. until... you look in my basement storage. oops. the secret is out.

1) I have to organize my basement. That is a monumental task. I can do 15 minutes a day in there. The bins are in order - it's what's in the bins that I need to clean out. What a I need to do is weed out what I don't want which I am storing in bins.

2) The other thing I need to do is organize my photos. Another monumental task. I want to scan them all and put them on flash drives or CDs

3) I need to make a room by room inventory with pictures for insurance purposes.

4) Finally, I need to wash all my windows and screens. I haven't done the screens since I moved in almost 2 years ago.

Great challenge KimB!

And I wish everyone who joins ... happy organizing and sweet cleaning!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by KimB View Post
    I need a challenge to get my house deep cleaned and organized.
    Shame is a great motivator!

I have overnight guests arriving later today (our choir is hosting a French choir, on tour) so I was shamed into purging the room they will be sleeping in. I even made time to unload stuff to a charity shop, stuff that's been sitting, bagged up and ready to go, in the bottom of a cupboard in that room for quite a while.

It's amazing what you can get done in fifteen-minute slots, isn't it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Toffeekit, I know what you mean about shame as a motivator. When I find out someone is coming to visit I look around and I see things in a whole different light! I can get so much done in a few minutes time (at least throw everything in a closet).
    FN, I knew you would be interested in this challenge, but I didn't think you had anything else to organize. I was hoping for some great, free advice from you. . Thanks for the link.
    I decided to start in the kitchen. I have today off so set the time for 1/2 hour. My goal was to get the top freezer section of my refridgerator cleaned and organized. It took the entire 1/2 hour. Threw away a couple bags of freezer burnt left overs that weren't that good the first time around. Posted list for my dh and myself on the outside of what was in it and in what order so we can decide before opening it. Filled it in organized manner leaving alittle room for air circulation. Deep cleaned inside and out and removed all the notes, schedules, reminders from the front of it and put in binder for later organization.
    I feel good about it but yet overwhelmed if I look at all that needs to be done.

Can someone explain to me how to post quotes from other posters to comment on them. Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

KimB... hit the 'repley with quote' button on the lower right of their post. If you want to post multiple quotes.. click the plus sign jst right of that 'reply with quote' and when you're done picking all the ones you want to reply to - click someone's 'reply with quote' and you'll get them all listed in your reply.

You will notice a pattern.. the quotes start with a bracket [ and end with a bracket ] .. do not remove that brack or it won't post as a quote.

And inventory of the fridge is an excellent idea. Great start!

Today, DD2 is coming around with the baby. i will have her go through her stuff she left in her bedroom. I will tell her.. take 30 minutes and make a 'keep' 'toss' and 'donate' pile.
    Take the 'keep ' with you and I will handle the donate and toss piles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Super...today I will:
    finish 4 loads of laundry
    Put the clean clothes away
    organize coupons
    clean off coffee table
    If I finish these I will add more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will join on in too. I am due with #3 in July and want to have my house completely clutter free before then. We have been working really hard on not spending or bringing more stuff into this house. I want to be able to have things in order ASAP. Today I am going to tackle the rest of our bedroom and the one junk drawer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Shoot. Daughter wouldn't go through the things in her old room
    she said she'd do it tomorrow.

Wasted an organization moment. darn

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ARCMOMMY View Post
    I will join on in too. I am due with #3 in July and want to have my house completely clutter free before then. We have been working really hard on not spending or bringing more stuff into this house. I want to be able to have things in order ASAP. Today I am going to tackle the rest of our bedroom and the one junk drawer.
    Congrats on baby #3! I like that I am not bringing in as much "stuff". If I can't spend, I can't buy it to bring it in Are your other 2 children old enough to play a new game called "How much can I help mommy before the 15 minute timer goes off?"

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    KimB... hit the 'repley with quote' button on the lower right of their post. If you want to post multiple quotes.. click the plus sign jst right of that 'reply with quote' and when you're done picking all the ones you want to reply to - click someone's 'reply with quote' and you'll get them all listed in your reply.

You will notice a pattern.. the quotes start with a bracket [ and end with a bracket ] .. do not remove that brack or it won't post as a quote.

And inventory of the fridge is an excellent idea. Great start!

Today, DD2 is coming around with the baby. i will have her go through her stuff she left in her bedroom. I will tell her.. take 30 minutes and make a 'keep' 'toss' and 'donate' pile.
    Take the 'keep ' with you and I will handle the donate and toss piles.
    Trying out the reply with quote button for the first time. Thanks. Did DD get

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I will join you! I really need to start my spring cleaning plus I Really need to organize.
    The more the merrier. Looking foward to your posts.

I have started to clean and something else comes up and I end up starting all over. Working 15 min. at time doesn't sound too bad, maybe that will give me the boost I need!
    The 15 minute rule helped me today for sure. I did set the timer multiple times today. When I didn't reset it I found I got off task and I was in the middle of 3 projects and getting stressed. I decided to take a break and review what I accomplished.
    The stove is deep cleaned and cooking sheets organized in bottom drawer.
    Freezer and refridgerator deep cleaned, organized and list of what available written up.
    Cleaning product cabinet cleaned, organized and list made of what is available.
    Top of island is cleared and cleaned.
    Made myself a tool drawer so I can find what I need easier.
    Cleaned and organized under the kitchen sink, sanitized garbage container.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

FN - all the quotes came up again, I take it I must unclick them each time after posting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Nurse View Post
    Shoot. Daughter wouldn't go through the things in her old room
    she said she'd do it tomorrow.

Wasted an organization moment. darn
    When is tomorrow anyway? My kids say that all the time and it never comes. (But then I say it to myself and it comes in a week or two later sometimes)!

Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast