15 minute Proscrastinators Challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 15 minute Proscrastinators Challenge

Do you start your day with good intentions of getting things done, but at the end of the day your no closer to meeting your goals?

If you are like me , the "To Do List" is written down but rarely is anything accomplished on it at the end of the day.

One of my problems is procrastination, another is lack of ambition when getting home from my job. I sit down to relax and the next thing I know I've wasted hours.

My challenge is to set a timer for 15 minutes each day to get myself started on accomplishing a set goal.

My first goal is to start preparing for Christmas now so that I can enjoy a stress free holiday. I host DH's family Christmas on December 21. This gives me 5 weeks to prepare.

Do you need a motivational challenge to meet one of your goals? Join me and share what you did in your 15 minutes towards meeting your goal.

Of course this challenge starts tomorrow

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great idea!
    Tomorrow I will be spending 15 minutes on the following:

Cleaning the vanity in the MB

Starting slow on purpose

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm really bad at procrastinating. I'll be the first to admit I've become lazy. My lifestyle is so simple now that if I choose to not do then I don't. I'd spent my entire life trying to please and appease everyone around me but once I realized it really doesn't matter my life improved many fold. Right now my dd is my thorn but this too shall pass. In the end all the drama and upsets in life don't matter. No one cares. Learn to let go friends. The sun will rise tomorrow. We make our own stresses.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yeah, I'm on board. In fact when I saw the title of the thread I wouldn't let myself read it until I had washed the dishes, made the bed, picked up the stuff in the living room and kitchen as well as made my to-do list for the day.

When I'm procrastinating it's usually one of three things:

1) I'm overwhelmed by the size of the task and need to break it down into smaller bits. Possible solution: Work on just a small portion or set a timer for a short time. Favorite solution: alternate working for 45 minutes and watching 25 minutes of anime.

2) I doubt my ability to do the task as well as I think I should. Possible solution: decide to do a mediocre level job knowing it will probably end up turning out better. Sometimes my inflated idea of how well a job needs to be done causes paralysis.

3) I lack the focus to get it started. Possible solution: eliminate distractions--when studying or writing a lecture sometimes I'll work at a coffee shop.

Many times just knowing why I'm procrastinating helps me push through and get started.
    Working toward providing a debt free college education for our child.

I being a college mom!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome fellow proscrastinators!
    Do YOU have a project that you've been putting off? Set your timer for 15 minutes right now and get started. Come back and tell us what you have accomplished. You'll be surprised how just 15 minutes can give you the momentum you need to get things done. We all deserve relaxation time, but if you're like me, free time can quickly make you a couch potato.
    Today was my day off so it was a little easier to get a few things done between periods of laziness.
    To meet my goal of getting ready for the holidays early and to avoid the last minute rush, I've decided to start with some deep cleaning of the house - on Dec.8 we host cards and Dec. 21 we host Christmas with DH side of the family.
    My timed 15 minutes got me started on deep cleaning the 3 bathrooms. At times I have 4 adult men using them (DH, DS, and 2 respite care clients). 1.5 hours later they were cleaned and I felt a sense of relief and accomplishment. It is now important for me to spot clean them more often to save time (DH says he will help).
    Next I checked on wrapping paper and I have plenty left over for this years gift wrapping.
    DH and I went shopping with the goal of him finding 2 mens gifts on the Christmas list and me finding at least 2 gifts on the list. Within a very short time we have 5 people marked off the list. Happy with this.
    I decided on the menu for the card party. Found crock pot recipes for French onion meatballs and Cherry spoon cake (with vanilla ice cream) and oven recipe for twice baked potato casserole. Will also have a lettuce salad. All simple quick recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tonight I chose to start cleaning the laminate flooring in the kitchen. 15 minutes turned into 1/2 hour on my hands and knees wiping it down. Now on the couch again watching NCIS.
    Decided on no outdoor Christmas lights this year. Not a necessity, this Christmas is going to be simpler and focusing on the basics. More time with family, less time on frills. Using the artificial tree with the lights and ornaments I have on hand this year. Trying to save money this Christmas while enjoying the holidays with my family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, my fifteen minutes on the vanity let me complete the job!

Tomorrow my fifteen minutes will first be spent on pricing what is in one box for the yard sale this Saturday. Then I will see what's next

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

On my way home from work I stopped at a store to get 2 more gifts off my list. I really did not want to but told myself it would be over in 15 minutes and I could be on my way home.
    Now on the couch catching up on episodes of My Girl and thinking about my next project to start.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Changed my priorities today and addressed 18 envelopes for my first bunch of cards!

Now creating 8 recipe cards for a swap! Love getting into the holiday spirit while I am cooking turkey dinner for friends tonight!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've not been on task at all for the last week or so as MyLovelyMan has been immobilised by sacro-iliac something or other and almost all my time has been spent on ferrying him to the doctor's and the physiotherapy clinic, and taking him to the various other appointments he couldn't avoid - and also, taking him out of the house, so that he doesn't get cabin fever and develop the Bear With A Sore Head approach to me, to life. . . .

So much hasn't been getting done: so here goes - when I've finished this, I'll set my timer for 15 minutes and today's task is - how far round the ground (that's "first", to the north Americans) floor can I get with the vacuum cleaner, in the time? That will be one task done, that without this challenge would NOT have been done.

(Normally, I take up the rugs, too, and shake them outside, but there's a storm raging so I don't believe I'm going to do that: can't vacuum them as the machine picks them up and hangs on to them! Or is that just an excuse I'm giving myself?)

Here goes with the vacuum cleaner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am 15 minuting it all over the place today. So far here's where I have swooped in and done something.....

Kitchen - finish last nigh's cleanup
    Bedroom - still clearing off the bed in small chunks - must get done by tonight
    Couch

Shall return to the marathon in a few hours after dental appt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sometimes 15 minutes isn't enough time. For me it is enough time to load/unload the dishwasher, wipe down the ceramic stove, wash the kitchen floor. 15 minutes will help if I wanted to clean the dining room or tidy up the living room. 15 minutes is enough time to vacuum and wipe down the inside of the car.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really need this. I was always something of a procrastinator and now with health issues and lack of energy, it's just so much easier to sit in my chair and look at what needs to be done rather than doing it. So I'll join in.

Tomorrow my first 15 minute task will probably be finding the timer - LOL! The last time I wanted to time a cake it wasn't where I expected it to be.

After that, my real 15 minute task will be to clear the bar and wash some bird dishes that have been sitting there for a whole lot longer than I am going to confess to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalforever View Post
    Sometimes 15 minutes isn't enough time. For me it is enough time to load/unload the dishwasher, wipe down the ceramic stove, wash the kitchen floor. 15 minutes will help if I wanted to clean the dining room or tidy up the living room. 15 minutes is enough time to vacuum and wipe down the inside of the car.
    Frugalforever, for us proscrastinators , the 15 minute timer is more about getting the task started. Once the task is started a chain of 15 minute increments will often follow to get a task or two accomplished. A large task doesn't seem so overwhelming if it is broken down into smaller tasks.

Mauimagic and Toffeekit you are both doing great. Toffeekit hope your man feels better fast.
    I need to get off my butt now and set the timer. Rough day at work and developed a headache that didn't want to leave. DH made me supper while I took a short nap.
    Be back to let you know what I accomplished.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with that, KimB. Once I get started I can usually carry on for a while. It's the getting started that is hard. Also if I tell myself all I HAVE to do is X minutes, it's easier. If I continue, great, but it's a no guilt out if I don't.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast