2014 household purge/declutter challenge - Page 13
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never expected to get rid of three boxes of cookbooks, either. Some days I'm just in the mood to purge, and sometimes I think of things in a different way and come up with new ideas so it's easier to let stuff go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Wow, you all are leaving me in the dust! I filled a bag for donation yesterday. It was only five things but they were bigger things.
    I have to at least keep up with what I'm bringing in with thrift shopping(which was 3 clothing items, a sewing pattern and a kitchen item for my little day out yesterday). ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to do some more purging. But one thing I am trying to abide by is the one thing in, one thing out rule. Otherwise, it just gets ridiculous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've fallen behind on the challenge! Then again, I was way ahead so maybe it all evens out.

I changed two lights today, installing one new one in the cabin and moving that one into the house from the cabin. The one that got moved replaced the bathroom light, and the old bathroom light will go into my mom's house along with a light that's been stored in the garage for a long time. So technically I'm getting rid of two lights. But then I'm bringing back two lights from Mom's house, which is going through the sale process right now, so I don't know if it's really purging anything except we're replacing two cheapo ugly lights with two beautiful antique lights. I guess it's more of an upgrade than a purge. Still, it'll be a relief to have that chore done. It was supposed to be done last fall and then winter happened early and stayed so cold and nasty we just didn't get over there to do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I put away my Winter clothes today which means I just re-arranged my closets and one plastic trunk. The clothes part of my purge was so good. I still have a dozen or so items to give away but I'm glad I cleared out the excess.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still plugging along here. I think I've sold 6 things this week, and I have someone coming tomorrow to buy 2 lamps. I listed 2 more things on ebay today and I have 5 or 6 games to list on the fb yardsale site tomorrow. I also pulled out a big bag of yarn to offer to dd's art teacher for use with her students.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tossed a bunch of fabric yesterday, including some old clothes for recycled sewing projects. I also tossed a few small balls of itchy yarn. I tossed one ball that was a color I did not like. It was yarn I hand dyed but it turned out greenish yellow which is one of my least favorite colors.

All in all it was a kitchen garbage bag of stuff, maybe about 2/3rds full.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be getting rid of some old sheets today, for sure. My goal is to make most of the bedding for our king bed fit in the four drawers under the bed. I'll have to get rid of at least a couple large black trash bags worth to make that happen. Clearing out all the old worn sheets and pillow cases will be a good start.

Wish the weather would straighten up so we could haul a few loads of trash and get it out of the garage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Donated one book to the library tonight Over the weekend, I sorted through our winter wear, and I'll have a big bag of outgrown gloves, mittens and hats, and some homemade scarves and a coat to donate to SA next fall. Now I just have to find somewhere to keep the bag that won't drive me bonkers until then. Sometimes my minimalism crosses over into crazy-lady territory

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sorted some of the inherited fancy dishes and set out about a dozen and a half wine glasses to get rid of plus three souvenir plates and a candle holder. Small progress.

I find it interesting to see what others are getting rid of. I'm not really a busybody at heart but for some reason this topic fascinates me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On Sunday, we took our old flexsteel sofa that is in excellent shape over to dd#1. It has been extra and up in the guest room for about 10 years, and her sofa was trashed and falling apart. It is 90's floral....but a slipcover would be fine (camel back style) Her dh doesn't like the flowers. REALLY??? Someone gives you a free sofa in near perfect condition and clean...delivered to your home and set up. The correct response is: "Thank you"
    Anyway....it's out of my house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd take that deal any day of the week. Even if I had to buy a cover.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Started spring cleaning today:

Emptied, sorted, culled and cleaned the
    white 4 shelf FOOD cabinet on the left side;

3 sacks of food for dh,
    9 sacks for the local church that feed the
    homeless weekly.

Few sacks went to trash, but not
    as much as I thought would go.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been working on a quilt I started in the early 1980's. Yes, I've procrastinated about it that long. In order to finish it, I have used up not only the quilt top itself, but at least half of a huge piece of yardage to make the quilt's borders, yards and yards of quilted nylon I had used for another purpose but now have no need for, and a huge piece of yard goods for the backer. All of that will now be out of my sewing room and put to good use, since we need a nice summer weight coverlet. I actually have a little bit of open shelf space in my sewing room closet now. Amazing!

I have enough left of the border fabric to make up three or four new pillowcases, which we also need. I have a scrap of the quilted yellow nylon left about 8x16. I might throw that away just because I'm so darn sick of having that stuff hanging around. There are a few scraps left of the backer, and that will go into the stash to use to make things to sell, if I ever get that far. So all in all, it's worked out really well.

I also packed up a box of glassware I had sorted before, and Husby dropped it off at GW today, so that's out of here.

Husby brought in the board we took off the front of the cedar chest a while back. I'm hoping we get that cut in half this weekend so I can add a shelf to the top of the cedar chest, which will make space for three more AeroGardens without the need to use up more floor space. It should be a fairly quick, easy project.

I've been working off and on in the bathroom, trying to clear out the shelves there so I can remove those and put in a repurposed microwave stand to hold all the usual bathroom stuff. I've been getting rid of dried up lotions and combining partial containers of HBAs and stuff like that. Still a long way to go but at least it's started now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

WTG on the quilt, SD! I am still plugging away slowly, selling a few things each week. I consolidated my sell/donate pile into 3 boxes...one of winter things to save until next fall, one of household and summer things that I'll take to SA soon if they don't sell, and one of new items that can be used as teen gifts for Toys for Tots.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast