2014 household purge/declutter challenge - Page 29
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1926272829
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kind words, indeed. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're welcome!

I had a great time with company this last 24 hours. She and I have embarked on a de-clutter challenge just between the two of us. Both she and her husband were impressed with how much we've accomplished since the renovation finished.

Anyway, today before she left I gave her...

~ a medium sized roasting pan with lid to replace her large pan without lid. We never use the roasting pan for roasting, though I could use the bottom for dyeing fabric. So I asked for her large pan bottom in exchange for that purpose, and she said 'sure!'

~ 4 - 1 1/2 and 2" binders leftover from other uses here in the house. To help her organize the paper at her house. I also loaned her David Allen's Getting Things Done to give her ideas on how to handle paper.

~ Almost all the de-cluttered kits from my sewing room. She knows people in her rural area who have a hard time getting kits and supplies to do things. She eagerly accepted these to spread around the community. Sounds like a good deal to me!

~ an insulated mug I never use...so she had some coffee for the road.

This has motivated me to continue de-cluttering. I created a mind map in Simple Mind, an iPad app, of the various rooms and what I want to de-clutter from them. I showed it to DH and he is on board. So I am hoping we have a 2015 De-clutter Challenge somewhere on the boards.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did an exchange something like that once, too. Years ago I bought a huge Wear-Ever roaster at a sale for $1 when we lived in Minneapolis. It was supposed to have a roasting pan that doubled as a lid, but it didn't. But we had eight kids at the time, and it worked great for making large batches of caramel corn and Chex mix and stuff like that, so I got my dollar's worth anyway. It was good for roasting turkey too, with foil for a lid. Later we moved up here and I got to be friends with the person who ran the kitchen at the reservation. They had the lid for my roaster in the community center kitchen, but not a big roaster. They never used the lid. I knew all this because I volunteered at that kitchen quite a bit. They made huge batches of food for the elders' lunches five days a week, cooked up big moose roasts and stuff for pow wows and other events, and really needed a big roaster. As luck would have it, I had a big enamelware roaster in perfect condition I had paid $4 for but didn't use anymore. So I asked my friend if she'd swap the roasting pan/lid I needed for the enamelware roaster they needed. She was willing and it turned out great for both of us. Eventually, I found an identical Wear-Ever roaster at a rummage sale that had some parts mine didn't have. Since it was only fifty cents, I bought it. I gave our daughter my old one, another great deal for me and for her.

Husby is busy procrastinating in his office about writing his year-end self-review for work, so he's sorting and shredding more papers instead. He wants to start moving the furniture around in there but I refuse. It doesn't make sense to me to shuffle instead of purge. I try to minimize handling stuff more than once as much as possible. We made some changes to the overall plan today so now he's excited about the whole project again.

I'm getting the urge to declutter some more, too, and do some painting of various things. It's a new year and I really want this to be the year we don't have to spend a week gathering up all our junk and hiding it so as not to scare the house sitter just so we can go on vacation. Lots to get done before that can happen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Christmas Day I gave my sister a beautiful bedspread that I had bought for myself. Used it on my bed for about 3 days and decided I hated the weight of it and took it off. If she doesn't like it, she can put it in her guest bedroom.
    I gave my daughter a fleece blanket that I didn't need. I had 2 of them for 2 double beds, but have since gotten rid of one of those beds - don't need 2 identical blankets.
    Gave my brother a comforter set that I was simply tired of. He never buys himself those kinds of things.
    Now I have little more closet space for me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I came across the pennant clock I made and gave to Husby for Christmas when the Minnesota Twins won the 1987 World Series. He knew of a co-worker who loves the Twins and wondered if it was worth asking her if she'd like to have it. So he took it to work and gave it to her. She and her husband were so excited, the way it sounded. They put it up right away and it sounds like they're really enjoying it. I love when we can make someone's day like that. We were going to donate it to GW but this was more fun, and now it's out of our way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tend to like the personal gifting much better than a general donation to an organization. But that's just me. I like it when I can meet the need of someone...or a want...and see their reaction in person.

I'm working on the dining room linens and living room games today. I know it's not 2015 yet and I'm jumping the gun, but DH is working the next two days and I may as well do something useful around here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd rather give it to someone we know, too, but if we did that with everything, we'd never make any progress. I fought this battle all the way through cleaning out my mom's house. Damn, it was frustrating! She just didn't get it that it wasn't worth the time and energy it would take to get rid of every little thing by giving it directly to people that wanted/needed it, or that there was nothing wrong with tossing stuff in the trash that had no value, such as styrofoam meat trays she insisted they could use at the school, or the massive cardboard box collection she was sure "someone", she had no idea who, could use. She expected us to run all over town delivering that stuff, on top of the exhausting work we were doing, and then got upset when we refused. In our case, I just can't stand to have it underfoot once I've decided to get rid of it. We don't have space to keep it till the mythical person who can use it is somehow discovered. Stuff like our pool table, we'll advertise, but we've already agreed we're going to drop the price to about $100 and we'll advertise it once more come spring. If it doesn't sell, we'll donate it if we can. If we can't, it'll be broken up and hauled to the dump. We'd hate to do it, but we can't keep it anymore. We've gotten rid of a lot of furniture already by breaking it up. I don't like it but we don't have room for what we do want, let alone what we don't want.

I hope to get a coat of paint on the little smoking stand today. It shouldn't take long to prep it or paint it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, you had a run of it with your mom. I agree it can get overwhelming at times. That's when I load up the car and back up to the dock of Value Village or the Salvation Army Thrift Store. You are correct. Sometimes it just is not worth the time and effort to see it gets to someone we think "really" needs it.

I finished going through the games and the linens. Also cleaned up the kitchen. Felt so good I invited company over. We had a grand time!
    Last edited by peanut; 12-29-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't do anything with the little stand today, but I did put shelf cleats into a cabinet that's been waiting for them for four years. Still have to round up a board to make the shelf, but the 'hard' part is over now.

Maybe tomorrow for the paint. One of these days anyway. I noted on the calendar that I did the cleats, and I plan to start making notes of everything I get done. I need to try for at least one thing done almost every day.

Our stupid TV was plaid all day today again till about eight PM. I don't think it's long for this world. That means I need to get the buffet out of Husby's office so I can start converting that. The big giant analog TV that will go on it as soon as we can't deal with the frustrating flat screen anymore is too big for the bookcase we're using for the flat screen, so I'll have to get the buffet ready to go sooner than I would like. It's buried under a bunch of crap in Husby's office at the moment. He said he'd clear it off. More shuffling. Are we ever going to get anywhere in there?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you have been busy SD.....wow.....I know you worked hard but I bet you feel so much "lighter." I need to do some de-cluttering this year.....I am trying to get my house ready for company the end of January.....2 high school friends are coming for the first time (graduated together 50 years ago).....surprisingly, I am not going crazy yet....just trying to get things dust free and clean...LOL....where does the dust come from????
    Keep up the good work!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got the first coat of paint on the little stand, so I hope I can put the second coat on tomorrow and then that'll be done and off the list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Almost finished painting room #2 upstairs. It looks bright and clean with the same light "greige" color on the walls and ceiling. Only problem was the windows sills, where the wood tannin bled through. Will try to sand it down and clean it tomorrow, and prime it with something stronger than the sealant I used today.
    Total 2019: $ 39 100
    Goal 2019: $50 000
    To do 2019: $10 900

Total paid/saved: $109 500
    Total goal: $272 900
    To do: $163 400

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1926272829