2014 household purge/declutter challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I'm in again. I only purged about 1/4 of what I wanted to in 2013. I hate stuff.
    I spent some time yesterday counting my personal things like people in the 100 things challenge do. I only have about 40 personal belongings that aren't clothes, grooming items, books or hobby and office/art supplies. It's an interesting experiment to actually count things.
    I really need to work on our shared belongings. I have half a garage stall full of totes and furniture we don't need. Old toys and baby stuff, paperwork, keepsakes and who know what all.
    I'm trying to bribe my hubby into running a garage sale this spring. I hate the running of one. I don't mind set-up. Hate running it. Until I can convince him, I'll be listing things online. I hope to make at least $150 a month selling things.
    As far as a tangible reduction goal goes, there are 22 totes in the garage right now. I want to get that down to 10 or less. I also have 8 fabric and craft totes in the basement. I want to get those down to just 4.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm off to a good start. I set up a sorting area in the living room and so far have sorted out all the stuff that was on and around my industrial serger and also half a tote that was sitting in the family room. I'm not sure where I'm going with it once it goes back into the sewing room, but it's a start. I have a lot more to get rid of in there, so space will open up eventually.

It's good to have the sorting underway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~I'm in again. I only purged about 1/4 of what I wanted to in 2013. I hate stuff.
    I spent some time yesterday counting my personal things like people in the 100 things challenge do. I only have about 40 personal belongings that aren't clothes, grooming items, books or hobby and office/art supplies. It's an interesting experiment to actually count things.
    I really need to work on our shared belongings. I have half a garage stall full of totes and furniture we don't need. Old toys and baby stuff, paperwork, keepsakes and who know what all.
    I'm trying to bribe my hubby into running a garage sale this spring. I hate the running of one. I don't mind set-up. Hate running it. Until I can convince him, I'll be listing things online. I hope to make at least $150 a month selling things.
    As far as a tangible reduction goal goes, there are 22 totes in the garage right now. I want to get that down to 10 or less. I also have 8 fabric and craft totes in the basement. I want to get those down to just 4.~
    Is there an online facebook garage sale in your area? Things sell quick on that, and all you do is take pic and upload it? Much better than garage sales. I hate sitting through them too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have almost finished clearing out one tiny corner of the LR - shall take pictures. I even cleaned the lampshade! Now I need to find a 2 inch trim to add to the bottom of the shade - cannot afford a new one so shall decorate!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been tripping over a box on the floor of my sewing room for a long time now. I finally looked to see what's in it. It's ALL beads! That's good and bad. Good because I probably have a lifetime supply, bad because I wanted all my bead stuff to fit into the little cabinet I have for beads, and it's not looking too likely now. We'll see. I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but it has at least two plastic shoeboxes full of tubes of seed beads I bought a few years ago at a bead store going out of business.

It's going to be interesting when I start to go through the bead cabinet and get all my other bead stuff rounded up to sort.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The sewing machine and two shoe boxes full of fabric pieces will be out the door to my boss tomorrow morning! Yeah, count that as three things also went to the dump today and took my empty box collection, lol...I have a bad habit of saving empty boxes for "later" and they just pile up...they are gone now. There were twent of them! Well...I threw away twenty, I kept the best ones for mailing stuff...but I only kept four.

23/2014

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out the storage in the big wardrobe in the sewing room. I've decided to use some the hanging space in it for patterns, but I can't find containers that fit right. I can't even find them to buy. They need to be 16w x 18d. I may have to wait till spring and build in some custom drawers, but I don't want to. I keep wracking my brain trying to think of something that would work, but no such luck. I guess I'll just find something temporary to put the patterns in while I think it over. That's about all I can do.

Then there's the whole Velcro issue...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I took my little ironing board and iron to
    Goodwill today. I did my last batch of
    church linens, I don't use it for anything else
    and it takes up too much room in the
    laundry room.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in. Won't do the count but over the course of the year it will be substantial. Love getting rid of stuff!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No counting, but on New Years day, dh cleaned out his junk basket in the kitchen, the one he uses in the bedroom and both his night stand drawers!! Woohoo!!

It was about one grocery bag FULL of junk.l

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going through the four DMC floss drawer cabinets from the sewing room, sorting out stuff. I'm hoping I can condense it down to half. Then I can use the empty drawers for other things. I'm getting rid of some of my old inventory I know I'll never use anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Goodwill here I come! I have 5 garbage bags of things that will be useful to someone else

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So far, I've emptied six of the twelve floss drawers. (None of these ever had floss in since we bought them.) I realized all the stuff I have that's on cards like bias tape, piping, etc, would fit great in the floss drawers, so I'm going to put that all in the drawers instead of the assorted containers they're in now. I'm working very hard at finding items that fit the spaces they're stored in, so I waste as little space as possible.

I'm not getting much purged today, but I'm getting a lot done on the organizing front.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Love getting rid of things and freeing up space like that SD! I finished cleaning out a small corner and am pleased with the outcome...now to maintain it and get another little area done - am on a roll!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stuff is all scattered out in my sewing room at the moment which makes it harder to see progress, but it has to be that way for a while yet. It'll be so worth it when it's done, so I'm just trying to keep my eyes on the prize.

I filled five floss drawers with stuff on cards, and have an empty one left over for now. I'm hoping I can keep that open for growing room. I still have three or four empty drawers, so will have to decide what goes in them. So far I've been doing well finding stuff to fit into the spaces I've cleared out.

I need to build a simple shelf over my books for the space where the two floss cabinets used to be. Maybe I can scare up a couple boards for that or con Husby into doing it. He's very nice about going out in sub-zero temps to look for bits and pieces of junk I need from the garage.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast