2014 household purge/declutter challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a pic of one thing I did today that took longer than it looks like it would. Prior to today, this stuff was taking up two whole drawers in the floss cabinet. I purged at least half of the buckles in the middle top section in the pic. Then I hunted around the house and repurposed a little milk crate to put in the drawer. I used the bottom of a juice container and part of a coffee container to subdivide the crate, and reused the clear plastic from a package a set of drill bits came in to close off the holes in the front of the little crate. I attached all the halves of the buckles to each other so they'd take way less space, and added the little box to the top of the space on the right for the few parachute buckles left of that size so they don't get all mixed up. The biggest buckle got put in with the D rings, as did the O rings in the little plastic bag. Everything fits great!

Here's the new and improved fabric rack. I love the new arrangement. It holds twice as many fabric rolls and four rolls of paper, too. And I still have space on the top shelf to squeeze in my tackle boxes that hold my quilling and my size 18 beading supplies. That's a big deal because the brown tackle box does not fit anywhere else in that room. I emptied the two plastic boxes today and they're waiting in their spot for whatever I figure out will be best to store in them now.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 01-03-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I swear I do my best thinking when I'm barely awake in the morning.

I had decided I needed a short shelf over some books on top of a wardrobe in my sewing room. I was all set to just find a couple scraps and make a simple shelf, but this morning at O-dark-thirty it occurred to me I had a whole bookshelf in the cabin that I was planning to get rid of, since we don't have room for it. What if, my half-awake brain inquired, that bookshelf would sit on top the wardrobe? If it did, I would gain three full-width shelves instead of one partial shelf. Where could the downside possibly be in that?

So once it was light out and the temp had risen to a balmy seven degrees, I broke out the tape measure and went to see how my idea would pan out. The wardrobe was 35.5 inches wide, and I knew the bookcase was similar. But to my disappointment, it was 37.5 wide. So close! I briefly entertained the idea, without much enthusiasm, of cutting the thing down today. Outside. In the cold. And the wind. Fortunately, it didn't take me long to figure out that maybe the wardrobe could fit INSIDE the bookcase. WINNER! It's a crappy bookcase, but since it's in a workroom I can live with it. So I successfully avoided the work and expense of having to build anything once again, and used up something we were going to get rid of anyway. I also happened to have six storage containers that had to be moved and had nowhere to go, but fit nicely into the new space. Another win! Now I finally have plenty of space for books, which has always been a problem in my sewing room.

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally tossed my first item of 2014, lol! One old, dusty theater poster has hit the recycling bin. I put a few things aside for Salvation Army, but I'm not counting them gone til they're out of the house. I've sorted through a few cabinets, but I did a really good job purging in 2013, so I haven't found anything else to get rid of....yet!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's a start!

Once I'm done with the sewing room, then I have to move on to the cabin. We want to move all our camping gear out of the house and I need to make room in the cabin for that. The cabin has had a lot of stuff shoved into it the past few years so needs a major clean-out. A lot of the camping stuff will be sold or donated, too. We've been paring our camping stuff down for several years now and need to get rid of things we don't use anymore. I want to get it so the only stuff we have is pretty much what fits in the trailer and truck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, got a phone call today that totally revs up my decluttering action. A friend on the mainland needs a safe place to escape from an ugly situation. I don't know when she will arrive - could even be this week. It's a good thing that I work well under pressure......tbc

Love all the pictures everyone - am having trouble posting, but they are available once I figure it out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're so sweet to open your home to a friend in need, MM. I hope everything works out for your friend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mahalo SD - I am very fortunate that DH and I share the same values. At this time,our friend truly has no place else to go. She also has some health issues that she needs to address soon. It will all work out in its own time; I'm just glad that we can be here for her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I want to try to force myself to go through the last containers of small stuff from the sewing room, except the bead stuff which is a separate purge. It's the hard stuff left, so good luck to me. Once that's done, then I can move on to the big totes with fabrics and miscellaneous in them, and then on to the closet. Then I should pretty much be done. I wonder how long it'll take me to do all this. It's so simple to say it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our Salvation Army warehouse and thrift store burned to the ground Friday night. They lost everything.
    Fortunately, that same night a local business offered the use of a warehouse until they can rebuild.

I'll be cleaning out closets, dressers, etc. and taking them whatever I can gather up in the next couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, no. They do so much good in a community. I hope they can recover soon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow everybody! Looking good out there in FV land I haven't stopped since my commitment post, and I'm surprising myself with all that I'm willing to finally part with! I'm forcing myself to not look twice because that's when I start coming up with reasons to keep things, especially things that I "might" be able to craft with. But the donation box keeps growing, and the garbage cans are fuller too! I haven't gotten to my house stuff (pics, etc.), that'll really put me to the test. Maybe by then I'll have the guts to part with some of it all (theres LOTS)....we'll see! But still so mad at myself....I should've done this years ago!

Good job everybody!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Theresa it's more important that we are doing it NOW as opposed to anything we could have done in the past - that just might make me crazy . It's good to hear your voice!

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, 6 more things hit the trash yesterday. The real beauty of it is that I rearranged a bunch of stuff in 3 rooms, and now I have openness. I love shelves with just a few things on them...the negative space makes me happy. I cleared off a set of shelves in the family room completely, so I'll take those down today and spackle and paint. My curio cabinet in the dining room is gloriously unfull, with just a few things on each shelf that are super meaningful. The bookcase in the parlor is still too full, but I love each thing on it, so I'm living with it for now.

My downfall is photos. I don't have much trouble paring down knickknacks, but I have framed photos everywhere, a lot of them in cool, funky frames, and I can't seem to let any of them go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any progress is progress. It sounds like you're doing well.

I'm going to try to avoid making goals. So often, I fall short. I'll just keep plugging away and eventually I'll see the progress. I'm going though some things now that are harder to sort, so that slows me down. I'll get there. I'm hoping I can call the sewing room done in the next two weeks, but I'm not optimistic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am going to tackle our office. It is actually in the basement, so nobody really sees it. However, it's a domino effect situation; if I had that space to work, my main living area would not be cluttered with my work stuff. I feel like I could find a cure for the common cold, I am so wise today! So, off I go with a garbage bag, a recycle bag and a donate bag to purge, purge, purge!

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast