Default Decluttered porch

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-img_2642.jpg

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-img_2641.jpg

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-img_2643.jpg
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Decluttered Home Office

This was, by far, the hardest room to declutter and it still gets messy if I don't stay on top of it.

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-img_0474.jpg

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-img_0569.jpg
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel so inadequate.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in. I started decluttering . So any piles of stuff.....doing a little each day. It will probably take all year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    LOVE your home Kim - what a nice relaxing place to live in!
    Thank you. I had to simplify and downsize because of health issues. I had a large house that needed a lot of work so I decided to sell it and buy my retirement home 15 years before I retired. The condo was in terrible shape but was in a very good community with a killer view. I'm divorced and don't have kids (unless you count my toy fox terrier and Italian Greyhound) so it made sense. Slowly, I remodeled one room at a time, paying cash so it's taken me about 8 years to get it where it is now. The only thing I would change (and will change if I have the money when I retire) is getting rid of the tile and putting in hardwood floors. That'll be a major project since the whole thing is tiled. I'd have to move my furniture out and store it. That would be on my dream list. My home office is really the master bedroom and I sleep in the small bedroom.....which I uncluttered, too

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-img_0485.jpg
    Small bedroom I use.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

People are doing such big things here and getting rid of so much.

I looked in my scrap fabric drawer and got rid of two little ziplock bags with fabric. These two had bits that were really too small even for patchwork.

I plan to make a few small things with what is in the drawer this weekend, I just took a peek at what was there so I could think about it. I saw a bit of red fabric I think I can get a fabric flower out of. And I see a couple crochet hearts tossed in there I might do something with.

Am I the only one who sometimes has anxiety and panic about throwing away stuff? It is not about anxiety over all the work to be done. I mean it would only take about 5 minutes for me to throw everything in my scrap fabric drawer in the trash. But psychologically it is kind of a big deal. And picking a few things out to make stuff with helps make it a little better psychologically. So it kind of turns a 5 minute project into a weekend project, but it makes it bearable.

I wanted to start small here. Some other things will be bigger in volume and hopeful go quicker.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a small box, a medium box, and a good size tote to get through today. Not going to be fun. But I'm looking forward to starting to sort fabrics, so I hope that will be good incentive to get through all this little stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Two boxes down, but I found another one. I just can't get ahead! The plan is to go through every box I can find, clear off everything from the table in the LR and all the surfaces in the sewing room and find a home for everything in an organized way and then tackle the totes and closet. If I don't do it that way, I'll end up with miscellaneous boxes and piles all over again.

I have three gallons of broth simmering on the stove and I hand washed a pile of dishes, so I can see my sinks and counters again. Fantastic!

I cleaned all the cream cheese off the ravioli maker and found a home for that and the pasta machine in the pantry, so it doesn't have to live on the stool by the island anymore.

I washed one of our overabundance of cat beds and Husby gave it to a co-worker for her dog. I'm glad she took it because it's still nice, but not quite nice enough to donate.

Still trying to figure out where to put a clock in my sewing room, and where to put up two more thread beds. With all the furniture in there, I don't have much wall space.

I keep finding small sewing tools that are going to be useful to me for my current interests. Free tools! All my project bags should be well equipped.

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tossed out 40 little things today and put another in the donate pile. It just amazes me that after doing such a huge purge last year, I can still find all these little things that make me shake my head and wonder why I kept them! Congrats to everyone doing this challenge...it is hard! Last year, when I was clearing everything out, I shed so many tears.....tears of frustration at the mountains of stuff I had to sort through, tears of regret over the money I spent accumulating all that stuff, tears of sadness over letting go of some things that really needed to be let go of. But afterward, I felt free, as though a huge weight had lifted off my shoulders. I hope that I always remember how hard the process was though, because that memory is what will prevent me from accumulating stuff all over again. Keep up the good work, everyone!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's difficult. And it's never-ending.

I found a cute little sewing kit in a fancy case. I didn't even know I had it. It will be perfect in my crochet bag. And I found a tiny magnifying glass. The handle is hollow to hold needles and the stopper has a needle threader that slips inside the handle. Pretty cool. It'll be perfect in my tatting bag. I found another tube for my tatting bag that will hold the corsage pins I use to pick out knots.

So glad I'm in the mood to do this purge. It's going to improve the quality of my life in so many ways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CPA-Kim, I love your porch. It looks so peaceful, like a retreat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CPA-Kim---my house will never look like that...Your home look like a model house...all I can say is WOW...very impressive.

Kathy B. No you are not alone. I have some of the same issues. What if I need it...bigger yet..what if I need to replace it then I will waste money. It is very difficult for me to get rid of things. I did get rid of a huge amount this summer but could do it again. What really helped me was having a huge box trailer that a friend lend me for a few weeks. I could take the stuff straight out and throw it in. I also had another vehicle that I used to take bags of stuff to donate...straight to the vehicle or else I would most likely go through them again. Wish I could do that again...using that trailer was huge for me. I also pay one of my children's friends to help me for the week. He did all the lifting of heavy items and also was pretty good support. He took lots of fishing and camping stuff. More than happy to give to him as I no longer used it and he was super excited to get it. Clothing and fabric are my biggest issues. I was hoping to work on a closet tomorrow...but am having friends for the day from out of town come. It is impossible for me to do after work...I just don't have the energy.

I do have two large bags that I have to inventory to go to donation center. (tax write off) Hopefully I can get them there before my company comes..be sitting in hall for about a month. Yikes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went through the whole "what if I need it?" thing too and the waste of money if I had to buy it again and the waste of money from having bought it in the first place and then giving it away and losing the money and the item, too. But I finally decided what a waste it is for me to keep all this stuff. It's in my way, and it impacts my productivity in a huge way. If I didn't have to waste my life dealing with all this crap, or spend hours and days and months, or in the case of my recently found Gingher shears, YEARS looking for things, what better things could I be doing with my time? It costs me money to have to waste time dealing with the stuff in the way, because I can't write, I can't sew, I can't do anything that would be making me money. Having a disorganized mess costs money because of having to buy things we need that we know we already own, but can't find. Very frustrating!

I also accepted that I will make mistakes when I sort and purge. It's inevitable. But I decided the few things I get rid of but wish I had kept, I would allow myself to buy back and not feel guilty for having made the mistake.

I've also started thinking about what items I have that serve the same purpose but in a slightly different form. I've been able to get rid of a lot of things by realizing I could do the same thing with something else. I'm always looking for multi-purpose items to save space.

I've gotten rid of thousands of things and only regretted about a half dozen of them. And I couldn't tell you what any of them were right now, either. The biggest emotion I feel when I get a bunch of stuff out of the house is relief.

I have to get rid of boxes for GW right away too. I don't usually go through them again completely, but I've pulled things out of them. Most of them I put back in again at some point, after I think things over some more, but sometimes I'm glad I dug them out.

It's getting a lot easier to get rid of stuff. The more we get rid of, the more I shift my outlook from wanting to cling to useless crap to wanting to have a real home and a comfortable life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spirit Deer..thanks for sharing your views on letting go of things. You are so right. I often feel frustration over not being able to find something and also feel like my "things" own me. I am a slave to packing them, moving them around, etc. Like I said I did purge a huge amount this summer and have not regretted one item that left the house. I have had people ask me if I have an item...and darn if that isn't something I got rid of. But then I tell myself I can't hold on to things because someone might ask for it later on, if ever. It is such a great feeling when you do clean up and clean out an area.
    Thanks for the inspiration to get moving and "have a real home and comfortable life". I want that also. If time doesn't allow I'll just do one drawer at a time or one small area.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by daylily View Post
    CPA-Kim, I love your porch. It looks so peaceful, like a retreat.
    Thank you. When people come over, they flock to the porch. It faces North so it stays cool in the summer without a/c. I can use it all year round. when I bought the condo, it was screened and needed a ton of work. Here's the east view from it.

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-001.jpg

The last rooms I did were the bathrooms. I'm so glad the remodeling is over and I can enjoy it now.

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-guest-bath2.jpg

2014 household purge/declutter challenge-master-bath2.jpg
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast