2014 household purge/declutter challenge
Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2014 household purge/declutter challenge

I didn't see a thread for this and cleaning up my household is one of my main 2014 goals so I wanted to go ahead and start one here.

The challenge is to purge, sell or repurpose 2014 things from your household in 2014. Everything counts, from a scrap of hoarded mail from 2009 to that sofa that smells funny and nobody sits on anymore.

Challenge starts at the stroke of midnight January 1, 2014 and runs till 2359 12/31/2014.

I hope you all are ready and willing to participate, because I could sure use a few supportive friends along the way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in! I always say I want to do this with a yard sale but that seems to make me feel like I am just moving around the clutter. So this year I am just going to donate it all. Make my life easier. Do you want to do weekly check in?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I"m in ... and hope I remember to post. I'm sick and tired of the clutter. I ashamed to say I honestly didn't realize how bad it was until I started trying to clear some table tops etc a couple weeks ago. I'm going to toss, sell on facebook sell sites and Ebay. Donate the rest.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge June
    $

Grocery Challenge/June
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More June
    Goal 20
    Accomp/17

No Spend Challenge/June
    Goal 20
    Accomp/2

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll join, but I'm not going to keep count. I always forget and besides, it's hard enough to do it without having to do the accounting besides.

I'm currently working on my sewing room. Here's what the worst part of it looked like this morning:

Under that mess somewhere lurks an industrial serger. Someday I'll find it again. And then there's the closet:

I have a lot to get rid of by donating and tossing, and then everything has to be organized. But I'm very motivated to do all three right now.

Anyone else want to post before pics and share in the humiliation? Dare ya.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great thread! I am so in! Like SD, I cannot possibly keep count and even if I did, the goal number would be reached all too quickly.

Yes I will take and post pictures of before and after - one room or area at a time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll hit 2,000 items without a problem, too. Once I'm done with the sewing room, then there's the family room and the cabin to deal with. And the garage. We don't plan to do a whole sort and purge from the garage, but we can easily cherry-pick a lot of junk to haul out several loads just from that.

Today I'm going to install the remaining closet rod brackets in my fabric rack. Then Husby can help me cut the rods to fit, and I'll be able to pull most of the rolls of fabric out of the mess on the serger table in the pic above. That will be a good start. That huge bundle wrapped in brown paper is canvas that needs to be rolled onto a core so it can be put on a rod. I'm not sure I'll have room on the rack for all of it, but getting some of it rolled so it's ready to use would help a lot. Besides, that stuff weighs a ton and I'm tired of having to shuffle it around.

So those are today's goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Count me in. I need this challenge...feel like I am becoming a hoarder of sorts. I find it hard to believe that I used to live in a house half the size and had half the stuff. Feel overwhelmed much of the time. Do not feel relaxed in my home due to the "stuff". This will be the perfect challenge for me. Please post often so I can keep motivation up. I will post pictures of before and after if someone tells me how to post them. Spirit Deer...you and I (and others) can have our own little sewing room challenge, that is a problem area for me also. Believe people who sew have this thing for collecting material. Thanks for the inspiration to get going. I'm off to think of how to organize it all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You will need to upload your pictures to a photo hosting site such as Flickr, Picasa, or one of those. Then once your pic is there, you will be able to copy a link and post it in this thread. If you click Reply With Quote at the bottom of the post where my pictures are, you'll be able to see the coding that Flickr generates so the pics can be inserted into a forum post.

I rounded up a box and put the first donation item from the sewing room in it, so that's a small start but still a start. I also got the next four closet rod brackets installed. I need one more, but Ace is out of them till Thursday so that has to wait. I put two rolls of fabric up in the rack, and will add three more when the rods get cut down, hopefully tomorrow. I need Husby for that. It's too hard to hold an iron pipe and cut it by myself too.

I decided the canvas would be better left folded flat, so I cleared off a shelf and put four pieces on there, and rolled the last piece for convenience. That stuff has been sitting there since I had my shop which is almost twenty years ago now, so it's good to have it on the rack where I can easily get it to use it. That's about fifty yards which is probably a lifetime supply for me at this point.

Ladybug, I didn't know where to start in my mess either, but I finally concluded I needed to just box and shuffle stuff and get the machines cleared off to start with, then go back and sort the boxes. The result of the shuffling is the mess pictured above, because I don't use the industrial serger much so I stacked stuff up on that. I also have five big totes I have to go through, and I'm going to go through all the storage in that room, too, and the closet. It's going to take a while, but by clearing off the machines first, at least I can sew while I'm working on the purging. Once I got the machines usable, it became more clear to me what the next step should be.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My never used sewing machine is going in the sell pile. It's a cheapo Brother and seriously, I used it once when I first got it and then decided that quilting (the reason for getting it) was not for me. I'll stick with the crafts that I already do. Getting rid of that means I can get rid of the fabric that I accumulated also. I would really like to get my crafting supplies down to one tote, instead of a whole closet full of stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Baby steps

I really want to dive into my sewing room but in all fairness to my DH, I NEED TO declutter our living area first - since I have turned it all into a giant craft room! Working one small area at a time.......here is what I am attacking first - my side of the couch".............

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always love seeing how different we all are. I'd go into serious withdrawal if I only had one tote of sewing and crafting stuff. I'll be very happy if I can get all my sewing stuff comfortably into one ROOM! A lot of the craft stuff will have to go into another room.

Husby is going to check the other hardware store for the last closet rod bracket set I need, so I'm hoping we can get that installed and the new rods cut to fit tomorrow.

I got the cat litter pails I'm going to use as small totes in my sewing room all washed up, so those can be used as soon as they dry. I still have to wash the lids and cut them down so they'll come off the pails easily for when I need to dig stuff out. I added two shelves to the rack earlier this year so it's almost like figuring out a whole new storage area, plus I added two wardrobes, a desk with eight drawers, and a set of stacking bins, so I have a lot to think about. Here's the rack I'm talking about. The new pails look just like the yellow pails already there. The ones in the pic are full of yarn and it's all sorted so I don't want to empty them right now, but they're going to have to go into another room. Which is why I'm washing up new pails. The white pails have been used for years to store things like buttons and zippers and that's worked out great.

Besides adding two shelves, I'm moving the rolls of fabric closer together and putting them two deep instead of centering one roll in the middle of the rack. Once the new rods are in, it will hold twelve rolls of fabric instead of six, which is twice as helpful to me. There was a lot of wasted space in the top of that rack, so now it's much better. I'll take another pic when I get it all done, which I hope is tomorrow or Friday at the latest.

I'm going the opposite way, MM. We just got the LR cleaned up and now I'm going to have to drag the boxes and totes out of the sewing room to the LR so I have room to sort them. What a PITA! Am I ever going to get anywhere on cleaning this place up? I'm just hoping I'm motivated enough to make it go quickly.

One thing I know for sure is, once I get everything put away, I'm going to go crazy with LABELS! That way I'll know where everything is at a glance, and also have a visual reminder that I actually have some tool I don't use very much.

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so in on this! I actually did a whole house purge in 2013 and got rid of thousands of things...many SA loads, huge garage sales, big eBay and CL sales. But I have a few more things that I know of, and I'm sure throughout the year I'll find more. I'm going to try to keep track of how many items go this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started this year, but after three little places
    (guest bath, long hall, an linen closet). I got
    sidetracked. I also worked in the kitchen and
    decluttered my books AND I decluttered
    Christmas decos and the old tree this year.

I have planned one room/area for each month,
    and really need motivation. I won't count every
    item but will report the main items.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got rid of six books today to one of my pool friends. I have four boxes of books in my car to find homes for and invited him to look through them as I was leaving the pool today. A couple of years ago I would leave books at the pool for others - think I will start that up tomorrow too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep I'm In!! 2014 things for me. This year really feels like it should be 'NEW' for us.
    New marriage
    new job
    new goals..

aahhh.. loove the smell of change!!

Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast