2014 Emergency Preparedness Challenge
My New Year's resolution is to have better emergency preparedness in 2014. Some things I want to do are
- Top off my EF. It is almost fully funded, but not quite to the 6 months that I want.
- Create "get home" bags for my son and myself to go in our cars in case we are stranded at work or school or somewhere in the area
- Create "bug out" bags for each of us and our pets so that we can evacuate the house quickly if necessary. I am not sure if "get home" and "bug out" bags should be one and the same or if the "get home" bags should be scaled down light versions. Need to think on that some more.
- Get a fire extinguisher
- Setup water storage in case we lose water service in a earthquake (I have a little, but not enough)
- Setup food storage. First one month in case of an earthquake or other natural disaster, then a bit longer for other potential problems like unemployment or zombie apocalypse :)
- Stock up on alternate sources of heat and cooking in the event that services are lost - possible in an earthquake.
- Create written plans for the family for what to do if there is an emergency, and make sure we each have a copy.
Does anyone want to join me?