Light bulbs

Thread: Light bulbs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Light bulbs

Ugh! We all know by now that in the USA, incandescent light bulbs over a certain wattage can no longer be manufactured (certain specialty light bulbs can still be made but they won't be cheap). While I don't imagine this thread being a debate about the regulations, we all can admit at this point that we can say "bye-bye" to the cheap light bulb.

What is your alternative?

Years ago we switched to CFLs but more and more I'm unhappy with the light quality and the dangerous environmental aspects. We're even looking for alternatives to the long-rod FLs we have in the kitchen and laundry room.

I've slowly started to buy LED light bulbs now. For technical reasons, only 60W equivalents are available at a reasonable price but I've been pleased with how really bright they are. They seem much brighter than a 60W incandescent. I'm switching slowly because the cheapest LED light bulb I can find is $11 each. Ouch!

This year I'm trying to reduce our dependence on the electric company. Right now we live in an all-electric house (including furnace and water heater) so this is a huge challenge. LED light bulbs is going to be a small step in that direction.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I replaced all with LED over the past three years. I did it room-by-room during condo remodel. I do have a stock of 40 watt incandescent bulbs for my living room because I like the soft light when I have company. I cannot tolerate CFLs because they give me migraine. I had to get an office at work with natural lighting because of this....years ago. My condo has loads of natural light coming in so I only need lights during the evening. The LEDs are coming down in price
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We want to start getting LEDs. Haven't yet. However, until we do, we'll buy incandescents. We'll just buy the "rough service" or industrial grade ones. They aren't that much more expensive than regular bulbs and are still currently cheaper than the LEDs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We stocked up heavily before the cheap light bulbs disappeared. We have enough for several years I would imagine.

We are hoping we have enough to get us through until LEDs come down to a reasonable price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can see this happening:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We started switching to LEDs two years ago. They use a lot less energy and never need to be replaced. Well, not exactly never, but a darn good long time. No, they're not cheap, but I figure one LED bulb is equal in cost to about 8 old style bulbs (which I'd have to replace every couple of months), and lasts for years longer.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Halfway between the Wolverines and the Spartans
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We installed LED lighting in our kitchen, and I love it. We just replaced most of the incandescents in our house with CFLs, and I really like those, too. CFLs have improved so much over what they used to be....we had some of the earlier ones, and I hated them with a passion....and of course they lasted forever (the first ones are burning out just now, 10 years later!) The ones I just bought have a nice yellow cast to them and they don't flicker or take forever to warm up, like the old ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I still have half-a-drawer of 100 watts and 75 watts incandescents, so I'm still in denial for now. We have dimmer-switches all through the downstairs and also in the dining room upstairs, so our choices in bulbs will be limited by that. I'm just glad they're keeping the "industrial" types available... my chickens really liked their heat lamp during the freeze last week...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We switched to CFLs years ago. Incandescent bulbs are ridiculously inefficient. 95% of the power they use goes towards heat and only 5% goes towards actually putting off light. Which is great if you want them for heat lamps, but not so much if you don't.

I tried a few brands of CFLs before I found some that I really like. They have come a long way since the old ones that my parents had. I remember they didn't fit typical light bulb sockets and you had to have an adapter, then they would flicker a few times before they turned on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been switching to LEDs as my bulbs fail. I don't like the CFLs I've tried, and don't really care about incandescent bulbs at all. Even without the loss of incandescent bulbs, I would have switched over to LEDs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not sure what I am going to do..I have several dimmers and where it isn't I have closed in fixtures and they don't want you to use in covered areas..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have LEDs in covered areas. I also have LEDs used in several dimmers. Not all, but some.