April to-do Challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oops, missed posting yesterday. Oh, well, I didn't get things done anyway. Having some trouble with my knee so I'm not getting things done.

Zhoen, Yay bees! I'm jealous. I'd love to have a couple of hives. I may have to look into it on youtube, though.

Pinetree, yes we got it planted, but now we need to go get another apple tree as a pollinator, so I'll have 2. I'm thinking a red delicious. Then we'll get both kinds.

Tomorrow:

1. clean out fridge
    2. inventory freezer
    3. plan next weeks menu

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My buggies arrived today! They actually delivered them right to the house! That was really surprising since everything I've ever heard was that I'd have to go pick them up from the distribution center. So, needless to say, I got them all settled in their hive and spent ages just watching them. The queen-cage fell into the package when I opened it, just like you hope NEVER happens, so yes, I reached my bare hand into a swarm of 10,000-or-so bees. Not a single sting, though... they were all drunk on sugar water.

The girls have named the queen. She is Vanillabee Sweets the First. (For those without young children, she's named for one of the main characters in Wreck It Ralph--Vanilope Sweets, queen of a world called "Sugar Rush.") Before you say "Aww, cute," I should tell you that they dumped blossom petals all over me because they wanted to see if that would make the bees swarm me... I still haven't gotten them totally out of my hair.

So now comes the HARD part! I have to wait THREE WHOLE DAYS before I'm allowed to open the hive back up to check on her majesty and make sure her subjects have released her from her throne room... and by three whole days, I mean I'm checking her first thing Sunday morning I had some empty comb in some of my extra hives (for those just joining our program, the heroine (that's me) bought a whollllleee buncha crap from a guy getting out of the hobby last November, unfortunately none of the hives had colonies, but still, it was a good deal.) Anyway, everything I've been reading says that giving them some pre-built comb is helpful in getting them set-up. Sort of like moving into a furnished apartment. No point in giving them that huge feeder of sugar water and a neighborhood where everything is bursting into bloom if there's no place for them to store it all. So hopefully when I peek in Sunday, I'll see they've busted the queen out of her carrier and are filling up their ready-made comb with groceries.

So 3/3 today--bee keeping, garden center working, and got the verticals put up. Only one of the two is lined, filled, and planted (need more plants.) It was getting late and I didn't see the point in finishing the second one when there were no plants left to put in it. So in the one that's put together, I have basil along the top where the wild things can't get it, marjoram and oregano in the front, and catnip and lemon balm on the back. And lots of empty space still.

I also got some verbena for a different spot in the herb garden (also known as vervain--and for those who watch The Vampire Diaries, you know that vervain will help you resist being compelled by the hot vampire who looks like a young Rob Lowe... though I'm not sure WHY you'd want to resist... but at any rate, vervain to resist vampire seduction, and that's right near the garlic, in case they REALLY piss you off...) Or it could just be that it was on special today and I liked the pretty purple flowers...

Friday:
    - 5 hours at the garden center
    - pack overnight bags for the kiddos and send them off to Sis'
    - mystery date with Hubs in honor of our anniversary (on Sunday,) so I suppose I should probably take a shower or something...

Oh, and since I promised to pass on any tidbits I picked up working at the garden center, here's one for you. Kevin Costner is in a band. When it's not busy, I get to jabber with the customers (the company calls it "building relationships"-- I call it "not being an ass") So this one guy today (reminded me of John Denver, actually, but in his 50s, which of course John Denver never was...) was telling me about how the Moody Blues are touring (but only 2 of the original members, and not the original lead singer, so I question the legitimacy of it all) and then he said that this fall they're seeing a trio of (some guy I never heard of), Frankie Avalon (huh? How's he not dead yet?) and Fabian, whose name I only know because I saw him on a rerun of Laverne and Shirley back in my childhood days of no-cable... But then he mentioned that just last week, he'd been to see Kevin Costner's band at a local tavern, and told me all about it, says he comes to this area about this time every year... who knew, right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, DH decided to cut down a dead tree in the woods behind the house yesterday. AND cut it up for firewood for next winter. So instead of going through boxes in the basement yesterday, that's what he did, so that's one thing on my list that didn't get done. AND since we were going to move a cedar chest from the basement into the house so I could pack away winter stuff in it, but DH was cutting up the tree, I didn't get that done on my list either. And I didn't get finances done either cause I just didn't want to do it.

So 0/3 for Thursday.

For Friday:

1) Catch-up on recording expenses
    2) Pack away winter stuff ----depends on if DH will help me move cedar chest into house----he may be too sore from tree work
    3) Vacuum and clean downstairs

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3/3

Fri
    dig up weeds and mulch along house
    more weeds along driveway
    working ourside the entire weekend, weeding, hauling out trash, planting etc..

Got my drapes rehung, ugh ended up having to iron them, it took forever!, My blinds were so dirty, its like the window was open all winter, I had to scrub each little piece off, even soaking them didnt take it off!! Of course they are white, so they show everything

ilc, wow, getting ready for winter already!! wtg!!

Z, can't wait for Sunday, hope those little guys are all ok, My pear tree is covered with them, sure wish they had a home here to go to, maybe someday.

Interesting about the bands, I had no idea!! Pretty cool!

Jen , hope you are feeling better!!

Have a great weekend!!

We are trying to get the yard all done, we have a storm moving in Sunday, maybe more snow
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3/3 today, but it was so hard! The weather is "variable" and my Fibro and arthritis are trying to see which one can incapacitate me first.
    On a lighter note, my cherries have blossoms!!! Not many, but they are finally here! Put a big smile on my face today. We'll be gardening this weekend. DH is going to make me another raised bed and we'll be planting another apple tree. I have at least a dozen pepper plants and 6 cucumber plants to get in. I'd like to get my melons planted, too, but I may have to wait another week or two.

I don't know for sure what I'll be doing this weekend, but I do have to pick up something anti-fungal for the grapevine for sure. I had a lot of trouble with that last year.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi y'all! Today I: bought new plastic plates and cups (that don't look plastic AT ALL) for our picnic set, found linen napkins to go with them at a yard sale along with a bunch of other stuff, picked the kids up from Sis', bought and planted some new herbs for one of the two uprights in the herb garden (the other remains, un-lined, un-filled, un-planted, and un-inspired!!! Not sure what I want in that one.) Got the back yard mowed (Hubs' helped), worked on painting our bistro set (will flip upside down and finish tomorrow after the paint is dry.) Bought and planted two strawberries to replace some that didn't survive moving into the uprights.

Tomorrow:
    -garden work (weather permitting, otherwise housework)
    -bake our anniversary cake (the kids will help.) I usually make a cake reminiscent-in-flavor of our wedding cake, minus the fancy decorations...
    -grocery run, we're out of fresh stuff and snackables...

Oh, and of course I'll be wanting to invade the bees' privacy and see how they're settling into the new hive... It's been windy today, so that helped keep me from busting in on them today (wind can agitate them, and I'd like to keep my no-sting streak going as long as possible...) There's quite a bit of wax flakes on the ground under the hive, so that's a good indication that they're hard at work in there remodeling and getting comfy...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well the apple trees are in, the new raised bed is in place, but needs more dirt, and I found an organic anti-fungal treatment for the grapes. I have to say, I love these raised beds. They are so easy to care for and the dogs can't get in them to ruin my veggies! So far, we've got 4 in, but I'd honestly love to have about twice that. they fit so well in our "city" lot. Maybe next year I can convince DH to add some more.

The rest of the weekend will be getting a few little things done in the yard. I'll be glad to have the gardens off my mind, and am ready to start on my craft room.

See you tomorrow!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Guess the yard work is done for now, its raining, thats ok we need it, Guess I will have to find something else to do, like I dont have a million things that could be done! There is still all kinds of work we need to do outside, we didnt even make a dent in it.

ilc, glad your DD is feeling better

Did you get another golden Jen? WTG on your raised gardens!!

It's Sunday, bee check!!!

Happy Anniversary Zhoen!! Enjoy your cake!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, we got a red delicious so they'll pollinate each other and we'll have both kinds. I've never really liked cooking with delicious apples, but I expect that fresh ones will be very different to the supermarket ones.

Zhoen, how are the bees?

Well, most of the yardwork is done which is good because we're supposed to get a good bit of rain this week. That means I may actually get things done around the house. I have to say that since I've been posting here with daily goals, I get a lot more done.

Tomorrow:
    1. Clean bathroom fixtures.
    2. wash bathroom rugs.
    3. Wash bathroom floors.

See a theme there? I've been doing the daily wipe downs, but I really need to do a deep cleaning, so tomorrow I bite the bullet and get it done.

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Y'all,

Well, the queen still wasn't out of her cage, though I could tell the workers had been trying, there was just a LOT of candy for them to chew through. So I went ahead and let her out, then added a second level of all-new frames for them to start building on. The syrup feeder I'd given them was totally drained, so I took it off to encourage them to get their stripey-butts out into the neighborhood... but then I reconsidered overnight and this morning I gave it back to them. The guy who sold me my stuff included a 5-gallon bucket of syrup, and that's likely to ferment in the heat of the summer if we don't use it, so might as well let them have as much as they want while they're still getting settled... Late in the afternoon, I finally saw one of them coming in with a load of pollen, so hopefully they'll keep on that even though they have syrup again-- apparently the pollen provides the protein they need to feed the new babies as they build up their numbers.

3/3 yesterday, with my "garden work" being that I built that cinderblock bench I've been meaning to do, it came out great, and I only needed to buy 4 cinderblocks (I mooched a bunch of old ones off the neighbors a few weeks ago and they've been sitting there waiting for me to get to them... I decided to build the bench in the herb garden so I have a place to sit and watch my bees. The holes in the cinderblocks are stuffed with dirt and I planted petunias in there. Then I put an old trellis over the whole thing and planted the grape vine Sis bequeathed me the other day and trained it onto the trellis, which will be lovely and shady in the summer. All-in-all, for the 4 cinderblocks, one bag of soil, and the flowers, the whole business cost me about $14...

Today:
    I've gotten the kiddos off to school, fed the rabbits, given the bees back their feeder, put the chicks out in their pen with a plate of leftovers, and the washing machine, dishwasher, and bread machine are all doing their thing... that's more than three things, so can I just go back to bed now?

Actually, the one thing I MUST do is make a LIST of all the must-do's... I'm working at the garden center W-F, so today and tomorrow are my totally-free days

- make a list
    - do something outside
    - do something inside

There, that's 3. And now I'm going to take a rest until the bread machine beeps!!!

Happy day, everybody!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Starting fresh this week since I got off track over the weekend.

For Monday:

1) Clean litter box
    2) Vacuum/mop downstairs
    3) Make grocery list

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok I admit it, I didnt do much of anything yesterday... I watched Reeds new tornado chasing website, so was chasing chasers, DH and DS are weather spotters and somehow its just interesting to watch from a long distance, was so sorry a couple of them did some major damage and took lives.

Monday
    run, unload dishwasher
    clean bathroom
    wash throw rugs

I use my red apples for applesauce, I dont have to use any sugar at all, and them I make a grated apple pie with them. well and eat them too...

you are going to love your trees.

Z, Interesting on ther bees, So exciting to hear they are leaving the hive! Boy are you being a busy bee too!! Go ahead and go back to bed, just get up before your kids get home, you dont want to set a bad example for them!, lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3/3 today. Have I mentioned that I HATE cleaning the bathrooms? I do, but it's done now. I was pretty well pain free early today, but it came back with a vengeance in the afternoon. I was really glad I got done early with my chores.

Tomorrow:

1. pull out a few outfits for SIL to look at to borrow for a dinner
    2. go get a couple bins for sorting craft stuff
    3. stop at GW to see if I can find a footstool for the LR.

I don't know if I'll get things done tomorrow, it's supposed to rain and that always ramps up the pain, but I'm sure going to try.

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3/3 today:
    - made my list... of course now it's out in the car and it's raining, so I'll have to go by memory
    - my "inside" thing was to wash (NOT sort) the laundry, the last of it is drying now. I also made two batches of dough in the bread machine which baked up to two small French-style loaves and 6 large rolls, those will go in the freezer for when I want bread for dinner but don't think of it in time. There's rosemary bread in the machine now, and that one will just bake in the machine and then I'll cut it in half before freezing. Also running a second load of dishes, but still some hand-wash ones in the sink that I'm not going to get to tonight.
    - my "outside" things, as I mentioned on another thread, are that I cleaned out my car (still had mess in it from the trip two weeks ago!!!,) then I loaded it up with an old piece of wooden trellis and a bunch of rotten old lumber from wayyyy back of the yard. I drove all that to the dump, then made a second trip with a bunch of stuff from under the deck including three old lawnmowers. The dump will take them now, as long as they are drained of oil and gas... used to be harder, so I'm happy to finally get rid of them... funny having four lawnmowers and an overgrown lawn...

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be having rain for the next two days, so that may be it for the outside projects for a while...

Tomorrow:
    --If it's rainy--
    Sort laundry
    catch up on TV shows
    clean the bathrooms

If it's miraculously clear:
    -rent a saw that can cut metal from Home Depot
    -saw out all the metal posts left behind from the old fence
    - haul them to the recycling center

And as much as I HATE sorting laundry--and Jen, I feel the same way about bathrooms!-- and honestly, even TV isn't all that interesting... well, I also don't love the screetch of metal cutting through metal... so really, either list is a drag, but all that stuff is on the big list I made and it all needs to be done..

And of course I made a few minutes to stalk the bees. It was overcast today and they were active but not extremely so... at least not visibly, I think most of them were busy carrying syrup down from the feeder, which is internal. While I was watching, I did see a few girls coming in with pollen, which was reassuring. But seeing the weather forecast, I'm glad I put the feeder back on, since they won't be able to go out and forage if it's rainy. This way they won't starve and they'll have something to do while they're waiting for the weather to break. Nothing worse than a bored bee!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1/3

tues
    clean bath
    water plants
    vacuum

had to put in hours of work, we are getting real busy, so the slack time is about gone...

I cant wash & hang out my throw rugs, they will end up in kansas, the wind is blowing something horrible, did last night too, got a couple hours sleep, the wind was blowing around stuff all night.

I guess this wind is feeding all the storms out east, the low is stuck right here, hopefully it moves soon, we are hearing its here for another couple days.

ilc, been keeping an eye on the radar, was starting to worry yesterday, then today it looks like the storms went south of you, stay safe!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast