Lowering my gas and electricity consumption challenge
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Lowering my gas and electricity consumption challenge

Now that summer is over, I'm actively trying to find ways to keep our gas and electricity consumption down. Our hot water tank is heated by electricity so that is the main focus here - trying to get the boys to take shorter showers....

Latest bills for three level total 2100 sq ft home (each floor 700 sq ft):

electricity July/Aug $102.95
    gas Aug $22.43 Sept. $18.18

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like these types of challenges. This month I challenged myself to use less fuel.
    Good luck in your efforts!
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think these challenges are great learning tools for the kids in your home.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Your amounts sound fantastic to me! Is your hot water heater turned down to the lowest safe setting? Is it in an area where a blanket would be a benefit? Your utility companies may offer free audits and products to save energy.

Both our electric and gas companies charge $30 for "grid access" before any usage is even charged. Our electric was $90(800KWH av) last month and gas $9 without those fees. We don't have AC, the high electric is running the hot tub($1-ish a day). Our water/sewer is $90 a month for 3500 gallons usage average. Ridiculously high out here. I tried an experiment here to see how much electric I could save by hand washing the dishes(no dishwasher running) and air-drying our clothes. I went with it for about two weeks(half the bill cycle). I calculated that our bill should have been like $20 less. It was actually more per day averaged after my challenge than the previous month. As far as I know we didn't do anything differently otherwise. It was weird. I suppose I must have still saved $20 but there was no way to prove that my effort had any effect. I hate that! ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nuisance26 View Post
    ~Your amounts sound fantastic to me! Is your hot water heater turned down to the lowest safe setting? Is it in an area where a blanket would be a benefit? Your utility companies may offer free audits and products to save energy.

Both our electric and gas companies charge $30 for "grid access" before any usage is even charged. Our electric was $90(800KWH av) last month and gas $9 without those fees. We don't have AC, the high electric is running the hot tub($1-ish a day). Our water/sewer is $90 a month for 3500 gallons usage average. Ridiculously high out here. I tried an experiment here to see how much electric I could save by hand washing the dishes(no dishwasher running) and air-drying our clothes. I went with it for about two weeks(half the bill cycle). I calculated that our bill should have been like $20 less. It was actually more per day averaged after my challenge than the previous month. As far as I know we didn't do anything differently otherwise. It was weird. I suppose I must have still saved $20 but there was no way to prove that my effort had any effect. I hate that! ~
    We were told that the electric hot water heater is the most energy efficient (new home) - I don't see any settings on it. I am able to view how much electricity we use per hour even, so that is helpful. At the moment we are using an average of about 21kwh per day so that isn't too bad considering the electric hot water tank. If we use the dishwasher, our consumption goes up considerably so I try wash most dishes by hand.