2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 12
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sold some soft pastels, a Rapidograph pen set, and drafting supplies for $55. Glad to be rid of them. I posted some books on Kijiji next. We'll see if anyone bites. Books do notoriously bad on Kijiji. I guess because the younger generation prefers e-books. We'll see. If they don't sell our local Little Free Library will get a shot in the arm for a few weeks/months!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I decluttered a spare puck fan from an old computer and an unused wall wart and built a fan for the dorm fridge in my office, the one that always freezes my pop. I'm hoping the fan will circulate the cold air under the freezer and even out the temps in there so I can really use that fridge. Oh, and I used up two zip ties to attach the fan to the bottom of the fridge shelf. Every little bit counts, right?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yep! Every little bit counts! Built a fan eh? How'd you do that? Motor, wire, yeah I get those. But where'd you get fan blades from? I'm a bit curious now SD!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The fan part was already made, salvaged from an old computer. All I had to do was find a way to power it, so it was pretty simple. I just hope it works. I like the fridge but it doesn't help me when my pop explodes all the time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exploding pop. Now there's an image!

I'm still fighting a cold here. Haven't done any de-cluttering today. In fact two orders came in the mail for me. One of them was for three skeins of yarn. The shipper got two of them wrong. They have no return policy on their website. This is the third time they've got an order wrong with me. So...

I decided complaining was obviously useless. The first time they sent the wrong rug hooking hook and informed me my hook I use on a daily basis did not exist. They sent me a cheap beginner hook designed to frustrate beginners. I bought from another supplier.

The second time I ordered what I thought was a large pack of fibers for poppies and geraniums for $55 CAD. I received the small $25 pack. I would have complained but shipping it back to get the correct order was going to cost more than the difference between the two.

The third time, this time, I ordered an orange, a yellow green, and blue skein of boucle yarn. What do I get? I get gold, a variegated green, and yes, they got it right with the blue! Rather than waste my money and time phoning them and reshipping everything, I decided to over dye the yarns. So I over dyed the gold to orange, and the variegated greens to variegated yellow greens. At least it's in the right colourway for my use. I may even over dye the blue to a brighter blue.

So colour me unhappy. Everyone wants us to shop Canadian, but then we end up with shop owners like that.

On top of that, today I phoned another lady I normally get my hooks through and she isn't ordering them in anymore. Someone she knows is making hooks now. So that's what she's selling. But they do not fit my hand or most other people's hands properly. Everyone wants the hooks I'm using...which are from the US. So I phoned the US company and ordered in bulk to get a discount. Another $150 in expenses, but at least I'll be able to recoup that eventually.

So...my conclusion? I am simply going to buy undyed fibres bulk from the US, because there's no place to get the variety up here that I can get down there. And I am going to dye my own fibres. I'd hoped to outsource that to concentrate on hooking and teaching. But apparently that's not doable. Means I'll be doing some serious dyeing here in order to put together kits and sell fibre next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, that sucks. It seems like if a company gets the orders wrong, THEY should pay for return shipping. Why should you? For the order that was not the larger one you ordered, the least they could do is refund the difference. It's too bad you can't seem to get what you need in Canada. Aren't there other sources besides small shops? Is there a Canadian eBay? It seems like importing from the US would really cut into profits.

We had pop cans explode in our brand new camper on about the second or third trip. The force of it blew the fridge door open and we had sticky pop flowing like a lake all over the floor in the front half of the camper and soaking into everything under the dinette and inside both front cargo bays. What a mess! I instantly banned carbonated beverages from the fridge forever.Not going through that again! They have to be in the cooler in the truck now. We've had no problems with that arrangement, and we have more space in the fridge for food now anyway. It's sure sickening to open a door on a brand new expensive camper and find it being ruined like that, but luckily there doesn't seem to have been any permanent damage.

I'm slowly putting things in a big tote to sell on the sale next week. I can't get too enthused about it all. It's going to be a big fat pain no matter how we do it, since we have to move it all into town and have the sale at Mom's place. But I hope we'll make some money. The biggest thing is to get rid of stuff though, and selling stuff cheap can't be as bad as the financial beating we took when we sold the motor home last year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have such a small population up here SD, there's really little we can get in the way of variety. If I want to dye plain wool yarn and plain roving I can get it and do it. But if I want a dyeable boucle yarn or silks I have to go stateside for it. And at that point I may as well go to Dharma Trading and put in an order for a whole whack of stuff to cut down shipping and take advantage of their bulk discounts...even at 25% more than up here... At least the US has it! And the bulk discount is usually at least 10%, meaning it's only 15% more expensive.

I actually have a South Korean friend who is going to Korea in January and will shop for silk for me while there. But she's hampered by how much she can take out of the country and bring to Canada due to customs regulations. She can't be seen to be bringing in more than a certain amount or she is an importer/exporter and gets charged different duties and taxes than if she was just shopping for herself. I'm guessing she can probably bring a maximum of 5 metres into Canada without a problem. To be on the safe side I'm only asking for 3 metres. I want to check the silk out, too, before I commit to buying from South Korea, of all places! Funny that with the number of Koreans I know that might become the cheapest way to get my silk.

The bottom line of all this is that I have to figure out my costs again and adjust prices. We'll see...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had the sale, made $800, donated eight boxes of romance novels and a kitchen table, and brought exactly six items home, two of which we had pulled off the sale because we decided not to sell them, a five-day cooler and a propane camp lantern we're keeping in case of power failure. Can't complain! I guess we had stuff priced right because people just bought like crazy. I was afraid we had it all priced too high and nothing would sell. The weird part was it was mostly camping stuff and that's what we had in our ads, but it was mostly older people doing the buying. Most of the stuff we sold came out of the cabin, so getting rid of the two truckloads, one vanload, and utility trailerload sure opened up the space in there, which we desperately needed to do. So glad we threw that sale together on the spur of the moment like we did and made ourselves quit procrastinating for once. It's sure a good feeling to have gotten rid of it all, even at a loss, and have gotten at least some money back for it.

We also hauled out a big load of old lumber and other trash, which tidied up the yard and freed up a lot of space in the garage. Trash had piled up while we got the utility trailer rebuilt, which took longer than it should have due to all the rainy weather we had all summer.

We've been working in the cabin a lot and sorted, organized, and purged a ton of stuff out of there, too. We also repaired a mouse portal the other day, so we're hoping we've solved the problem of mice getting into the cabin and therefore my office. Intolerable. In my office, I added a salvaged microwave from the dump which only needed a new fuse and light cleaning to work like new again, so that's out of Husby's office where it was clutter and into mine where it's not.

I bought an antique sewing machine cabinet in need of repair for $5 at a garage sale. Once I get it refurbed, it's going to be a plant stand in my office so I can have some pretty flowers out there this winter.

I salvaged two drawers and their hardware at the dump to add to a sink base cabinet we moved from the cabin when we installed a big entertainment center for potting storage instead of the sink base. Since it's a sink base, there were no drawers at the top so when I saw the drawers in an old cabinet at the dump, I grabbed them. I had to disassemble and modify both drawers but that didn't take long and now we have two drawers for added storage. The cabinets will be installed in the back porch, hopefully this weekend, and they will help a lot to organize that space.

I installed and sealed a missing section of knotty pine in the back porch so that's finished off and the knotty pine is not sitting around in the way. Not as much of it anyway. Still have another small section to do but might not get to it yet this fall.

I also installed a steel rake head I salvaged from the metal recycle pile at the dump. I put that in the back porch to hang the snow shovel, ice chopper, and other tools from so those are organized and out of the way.

I cut down a wooden pallet and attached it to the garage wall to organize shovels and rakes and implements of destruction. It's working well. I bought a small divided recycle bin at a garage sale to hold small metal items and paper items to recycle in our own garage.

We sorted and organized a bunch more stuff in the garage, which improved things quite a bit in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got rid of some "baby" things. My granddaughters are 9 and 13 - they don't need crib toys, Duplo blocks or a baby swing.
    The girl I gave them to is my step-mother's grandson's wife. In addition to that, her grandmother and my father are first cousins. Small world!! I think if I calculated correctly, she is my step-neice-in-law? If anybody asks, I'll just say we're cousins!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, SD, you're accomplishing so much!

Last month I started using the Kon Mari method to get rid of things and organize. Clothing is done, and I gave away over 3 large bags of clothing. Yesterday I started the book purge. This is a harder category for me, but I think I'm going to be giving away about 1/3 of my books. I want to hurry up and get the books done so I can start on paperwork.

I think I'm actually going to reach my 2015 item goal this year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We've been getting tons done over summer and we like it!

I have no idea how many items we've gotten rid of this year but I'm sure it's thousands, if we wanted to count every little thing. The best though is dumping so much of the camping stuff we don't use. We made good money selling that stuff on the sale, and so much of it was big stuff that getting it out of here really made a difference.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, went through the house and made a list of furniture to get rid of. Ran it by DH and he's in agreement. The goal is to empty the basement of everything before we move. That would be 25% of our stuff.

I also want to sort through my books and decrease them by half.

Ideally I'd like to reduce our possessions by 50% before looking at another move.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gonna be hard. But you can do it. And you'll probably be happier after you get it done, too, even if you don't move.

I would suggest not buying any new large items, either, unless you could sell those before a move. Like a treadmill.

Also make a list of things you could maybe sell and replace on the other end, things that are maybe too worn or outdated to be worth moving. Like your car. I don't mean to be insulting but you've talked about replacing the car for a while now, and if you're planning to move in the next year, maybe it can be nursed along and then sold or junked before you leave, and a new one bought where you're going so you don't have to pay to move it. Unless of course you plan to drive to your new place.

IMO, which I realize you did not ask for, I'd say to brace yourself to throw away or donate some things that have little value, too. Sometimes that's easier and less stressful than trying to find homes for each and every little thing. I watched my mom trying to do that when she had to clear out her house and it was absolutely nuts. If you're going to do a total purge of the entire house in a few months, your physical and mental energy are going to be taxed enough without trying to rehome things that aren't worth selling. I hate, hate, hate throwing out usable items, but unfortunately what I've found in our case is if we can't get rid of it right away once we've decided to, it bogs down the entire process and creates more of a mess while it sits around underfoot waiting for someplace else to go. That's my thoughts on the subject and of course you're free to disagree.

I'm happy for you to hear you're planning to leave your house. It seems like it has been an anchor around your neck for a long time now. I'm excited for you! I hope everything goes smoothly.

If I can help you by purging some of our crap along with you purging some of yours, let me know. We still have plenty to get rid of here, too. My sewing room has been particularly irksome lately, and you may have read some of my posts about the ongoing disaster in Husby's office (although I have less control over purging stuff in there) and my cabin, which is sort of under control now but still needs a lot of work. Maybe we can encourage each other.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, I think you hit the nail on the head with that post. I agree 100%! We're ahead of you on the car issue too. Gotta talk to our financial planner and see what we can do. It will never pass vehicle inspection in NS anyways. Too dented and dinged up and starting to rust out. Otherwise it's fine. But they like pretty cars down there. Though I have to admit, rust is a serious problem in a humid climate like that.

If we move it will be the end of my business probably. Unfortunately. I could sell online, but that's it. It's too expensive to sell in craft sales down there. I could get rid of my 2'x6' grid display units and then DH could get the car he wants, if he can afford it... (he wants a Prius and my grid displays won't fit in them). We're on a tight budget now, what with this sewer job. The city guys figured the line would collapse next spring for sure.

I think we could get rid of almost everything in the garage except DH's bike. But don't tell him I said that! I plan to buy him a new bike anyways. That might wait till after the move too. Less chance of it getting damaged. I hear you about the treadmill too. Right now I'm motoring along on the exercise videos on YouTube.

My question is whether he wants to take the table saw or not. I'm hoping not. That would save a lot of weight!

I hear you about donating. I'm boxing up a bunch of books and DVDs to donate to the Diabetes Association next weekend when they come round to pick up. I tried selling them online and nothing budged.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought you had to rent a car to take your trip because your car wasn't reliable. We don't have vehicle inspections here. I thought all they were concerned about were safety items and emissions, that kind of thing, not what a car looked like. How can they make you buy a new car because of rust? That's not a safety hazard. Unless the floorboards are rusted through, like what happened with our Cadillac. We usually drive our cars into the ground, and some of them get to be real rustbuckets. We never cared what they looked like.

I was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a car in the US and then export it into Canada. I know quite a few Canadians in the Ottawa and Toronto areas who always buy their campers in the US because they can save a ton of money doing it that way. Don't know if it's different if it has an engine though. Don't know where you'd go in the US, either. Western North Dakota is a bad place to buy most anything right now, from what I understand. Although now with oil production down, maybe it would be a good place to buy.

I bet you'd be surprised at the craft show opportunities. Every place has them and they aren't all expensive. It could be like here, where there's the expensive show in July at the park, but then there's the far less expensive show held the same weekend at the hockey arena. One is juried and the booths are a fortune, the other isn't juried and anyone can sell anything for a nominal fee, something like $50 for the four-day show. Both are well attended and the vendors at both venues seem to do well.

Don't see why you couldn't put your sales racks on a car top carrier on most any car. Up here in canoe country, we see all sorts of roof top arrangements to carry canoes and gear. There are all kinds of solutions for all kinds of vehicles, and it seems like attaching folding racks to a car would be similar to attaching a canoe. A small utility trailer might be a possibility, too, maybe even a little HaulMark or other enclosed trailer.

Good used table saws are fairly easy to come by. At least, I see them at garage sales quite often here. Small ones aren't that expensive new, either. Maybe getting a new one at the other end would make more sense than moving the one you have.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast