2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 13
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, our car is 20+ years old and mechanically reliable...kind of. I'm a bit nervous about long trips with it...ie. getting it down east even.

With the current exchange rate it's probably not a good idea to buy a car in the US. We get hit with GST and PST as soon as we try to take it across the border too. Plus I think there's some kind of import duty here. Not sure about Ontario, but I'm imagining that's standard across Canada.

My concern with the craft shows is multi-pronged. First, we need a new vehicle and what DH is looking at is not big enough to carry my stuff to shows. I don't really want an SUV gas guzzler. I want, in the best of world's, a mid-size station wagon. I'm not sure those are even being made anymore. DH wants a hybrid Prius so he can look like he's doing his part for the environment. If it wasn't for the grid display panels I'd actually agree with him.

Do they make car top carriers that will hold heavy slippery objects like those grid displays? Each one is 4.5 lbs. and there's 6 of them. They slide like crazy. I wouldn't begin to know how to tie them down... I think the trailer idea makes more sense. Thanks!

Second, if we move into a condo we won't have room for all the business stuff. Rug hooking will probably be severely curtailed, unfortunately, unless I can find a secure local market. Right now it takes up a full room in my house. In an apartment condo that's a lot of space. Plus there's another room for my sewing/spinning/scrapbooking/art supplies. And then there's the fibre dyeing equipment. Something has to give! I cannot move all this stuff into a 3 BR apartment condo. DH has to have at least one room for his use.

Third, I only do one craft show a year right now due to my energy levels and health issues. I often do it with a friend to back me up when I need to take a break from the booth. We share the booth. She sews children's clothing. If we move, I won't have her help. DH can be a help, if he wants to. But I can't count on him. Especially where he's talking about getting a part time job.

I don't think we'll have a need for a table saw. DH hasn't used this one all year.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today I sent some old picture frames, some pictures/prints, and unneeded brand-new school supplies to the Rescue Mission. It was only about 2 boxes full of stuff but that's 2 boxes less in my house.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, I wish I had my picture frames sorted! They're all in a heap right now in the middle of my office floor, making me crazy. The problem is we have a lot of unframed cross stitch and don't know for sure what frames we'll need, so it's hard to decide what to get rid of. Good for you for getting two boxes of stuff out of the house. That's a lot!

Peanut, all you mentioned has solutions. You know me, I'm a problem-solver. I can't help it!

If you bought a car in the US, you wouldn't be paying sales tax here. At least, we don't pay if we buy a car out of state. We pay no sales tax in the state of origin and then pay our state tax when we do the licensing here at home. It would work the same there, if you bought the car in the US and didn't pay the state sales tax. You would have to pay the Canadian taxes even if you bought it in Canada, so that part would be the same cost no matter where the car came from, I assume. I can't say there aren't other details to work out though, so maybe it doesn't make sense to do it. I just mentioned it because I know several people who have bought more than one of their campers in the US because Canadian prices are so high, it's apparently worth the hassle and cost of doing the exports.

Station wagons are now called CUVs, crossover utility vehicles. Don't get me started on hybrid cars and how they don't do anything for the environment, because we're all entitled to our own opinions and if that's what you want, go for it. But I don't see any reason you couldn't put thirty pounds on top of any car out there, with the exception of a convertible. Thirty pounds is nothing. Most cars are engineered to protect the passenger compartment in a rollover without collapsing and crushing the occupants, so if you think about the forces the roof of a car would be subjected to in that situation, you can see putting such a small load on the roof shouldn't be a problem. There are roof racks made for all sorts of purposes too, so I have no doubt you'd be able to find something that would allow you to fasten the sales racks to the roof securely. There are also clamshell top carriers that are enclosed, so depending on the size of your display racks, you might not even have to strap them on. And there are soft side fabric carry bags for roof tops, so you could put the racks in that and then fasten the whole bag to the roof top rack.

If your new condo came with a two-car garage, you could set up the extra garage bay for storage of a lot of your craft supplies. If you use a small enclosed trailer inside that extra bay, that's your storage for the craft show supplies plus your finished projects. If there's a basement in the condo, problem solved! A single garage bay would hold a ton of stuff with the right kinds of storage added to it. And maybe you could keep less inventory on hand, too, to help cut down on the space you'd need. If you're only doing one show per year and it's already difficult for you, then maybe the best thing to do would be to let the stuff go that you use for the show and just strictly do online sales. I know you've talked about cutting back on some of your other hobbies, and that would help too, if you decided to do that. I have the same problem, so I know what you're thinking, believe me. But I also know that sometimes a good reality check about what I'm going to realistically have time to get done and what I'm truly interested in working on are a big help in being able to let things go. 99% of the time, I don't regret anything I purge.

Moving is always a lot to think about, but I hope you can find a way to keep the things that allow you to do the things most important to you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How's everyone doing with their de-cluttering?

We've hauled four or five boxes and a bag to the thrift store. I've been selling stuff online, including the piano. Plus I had a lady come over and buy some rug hooking backing from me that I wanted to get rid of. And I've been letting a down and out friend go through things before I get rid of them. So far so good.

Next up is working a bit on the magazines in my studio/sewing room. They are heavy to move and I can't keep everything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Still working on Husby's office.

Yesterday I emptied and cut down eight cat litter jugs, and washed them up today. They work great as slipcases for things like all the owner's manuals for the household appliances and stuff like that. Husby loves saving paperwork so he will no doubt find a purpose for them.

I also brought in two small fridge containers I salvaged from the dump a while ago and cleaned those up for storing small items in his office closet.

He found the box of license plates he's been saving in the garage, so today I laid those out to see how they'd work with the bulletin board I repurposed from my office for his office. It looks like I won't have to trim them or anything, which will make things a lot easier and quicker. Hopefully I'll get that done soon so he can start using it. I put up a smaller one yesterday on the outside of his office closet door, also repurposed from my office, and on the inside of the door, added wire book racks for paperbacks. The racks were salvaged from the recycling section of our local dump, so they were free.

Husby has been sorting CDs and getting those organized. He's also working on purging more of the travel info we've collected over the past few years.

A small cabinet was damaged in the process of being moved from one building to another, so that has been trashed and is out of my office. A small table was removed from my office and put to much better use in Husby's office. My office is really shaping up now!

I painted a shelf unit that was in my office and will go back in there when it gets another coat of paint.

We've collected a couple boxes of stuff to donate but haven't hauled it out yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I got sidetracked with a deep clean of the upstairs bath and the kitchen fridge. Still washing shower curtain, window curtains, etc. Taking a break before heading upstairs to the magazines.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That reminds me I need to wash the valance that goes in Husby's office and get that back up.

Good luck with the magazines. I know how hard that is.

I framed the bulletin board with the license plates and it looks great. It turned out to be just the right size for that room too, so it's a good thing I didn't buy the huge one I had felt bad about not buying at the Cook sale last month. We won't know till we get all the furniture in there and figure out where it's all going where the best spot is for the bulletin board, but he's going to love it. Eight of the twelve plates are steel, so he'll have a place to stick all the magnetic stuff I keep trying to get rid of off the fridge. He has the license plates now, plus a steel desk with four drawer fronts he can stick stuff to, and two two-drawer steel file cabinets, so I shouldn't have a problem evicting the clutter off the fridge once and for all.

I sure wish the dish fairies would come and wash all my dirty dishes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Magazines are done...for now... I did a cursory run through and got rid of 2 linear feet of them. Those suckers are heavy! May need to go through more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A lady in NS wants to pay to have some of my magazines shipped to her! I am negotiating how she's going to pay now. They are already boxed up. Just need to seal and address the box and off it goes...well, when hubby comes home to lift it that is. It's over my weight limit!

Also, preparing to take some stitching supplies, equipment, books, and magazines to a stitching group today for sale to see if they want them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Excellent!

Do you have PayPal in Canada? That's an easy way to receive payments. There's a way to get that into your bank account but I'm not sure how. We usually just leave it in there because we eventually spend it online, since we live where we live with limited brick and mortar shopping.

I just finished mudding Husby's office, except for a seam behind an eight foot tall bookcase that will have to be moved at some point to finish the painting. Glad that's done. I hate doing it because I'm no good at it and it always looks like a five year old did it no matter how hard I try. I did some different things this time and it seemed to go better, but it's hard to tell until the paint goes on. I'll be so glad when this half is done. I'm excited about moving Grandma's double bookcase secretary into that space! It's beautiful and has been buried in the guest room since we got it about twenty years ago. It's not being utilized right, either. It has display shelves, the two bookcases, the drop-down desk with cubbies and little drawers, plus four or five big drawers, so a nice variety of storage that will hold a lot of various items. Not sure what he's going to put in it yet but he'll finally have a place for all his knickknacks and collectibles on the top display shelves.

I also hung the print he got for twenty years on his job in a corner that's finished, so that looks nice.

Good luck selling your stuff today. Let me know how it goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

An old dresser that was part of my parents' bedroom suite and a bag containing 3 tops I won't wear ever again are gone to the Rescue Mission.

Every little bit helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was talking to Husby this morning about the furniture we've gotten rid of this year. I wish I had kept a list. We upgraded some of it but lots of it is just gone. I think all but two rooms on the whole place have gotten at least one new piece of furniture, to replace other pieces. Maybe I'll see if I can remember what all we've gotten rid of.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I managed to sell the stitching stand, kit, and a couple of books. Made $26. Gave away yarn, magazines, an embroidery hoop. In the end I donated the leftover books and magazines to the library to sell at their book sale. Also mailed a box of magazines to a lady at her expense.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I quit listing the furniture we've disposed of when I hit about thirty pieces. I know there were lots more, but why waste my time? Most of it hasn't been replaced. No wonder it's looking better around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Culled another 2 linear feet of magazines out of the sewing room. Most went into the recycle pile. Found an old phone book for crafting in there too. Got rid of it. Taking a break to re-assess things. It's still crowded in there...

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast