2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 14
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it's like my sewing room, it's a bottomless pit. I need to enlarge the doorway on mine so I can bring in a skid loader to muck it out.

I painted again. It's hard for me to be up a ladder twisting and turning every which way, so I'm taking a break now, probably for the rest of the day. This year has been brutal with all the physical work I've been doing and it's starting to catch up. No end for it either. I have two more days up the ladder in the office, then I'll start painting the bathroom. Or maybe I'll focus on the two projects out in the garage I've been trying to get done before winter before I start the bathroom. I only have an hour or less per coat in the office left, but we have to move a large oak bookcase twice to finish it all up.

I did do a small side project yesterday though. A few weeks ago I salvaged a Lodge cast iron frying pan from the dump, which I still can't figure out why someone just threw it away, except there was some burned food in it. I don't need it but couldn't leave it there to go to the scrappers. Then on Halloween I bought a little grill pan at the Cook rummage sale for $1. I couldn't resist and it's a nice size for two people. I hooked up the battery charger and tossed the frying pan in a pail of water with some washing soda yesterday morning and it was stripped clean by about noon, so I took that out and put in the grill pan, which was stripped clean by around 7 PM. Easy. This morning I seasoned both of those and filled up the oven with other CI that needed seasoning and got those all nicely carbonized. They're cooling in the oven now. I guess that's not decluttering, but it was still fun. Here's the grill pan before:

Here's the same pan after its spa day:

Hard to believe it's the same piece. I just have to put the handle back on and then figure out what to make with the new pans!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wowsers! What a difference! Gorgeous looking grill. WTG SD!

Question, why do you have to move the big bookcase twice to paint? Sounds like you've been busy on the painting end of things.

I have someone inquiring about the damaged bookcase. I listed it at $20 OBO. Hoping to get at least $10 for it. The damaged shelf could be replaced by phoning IKEA and ordering a new one. The top is another matter. But if you put a doily on the damaged spot, no one would know it was there. Would make a great student bookcase! Ah well, I can always see the positive side of things.

That would be nice if it sold.

Might be time to round up a few other things to sell online. Waiting to see what happens to what's up there now. Not many bites for things these days. Very disappointing actually. Might take longer to earn enough money for Christmas gifts after all. I wanted to buy DH a bicycle and myself a new laptop. We aren't exchanging gifts with the kids this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

People are probably thinking about the holidays and looking for gifts right now and not about their hobbies and stuff as much.

We have to move the bookcase out of the way and then move it back to its spot, so moving it twice. But we're half done with that now.

Hope the bookcase sells. It's always nice to unload unwanted things. I still can't believe the stuff we've gotten rid of this year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I never heard back from the lady who asked for dimensions, so I guess it won't sell. I posted dimensions in the ad, so people don't have to ask.

Tried to sell some stuff from the sewing room today at a local stitching group. No go. Though one lady did take my business card. She was interested in a box of stuff I had leftover from a workshop, but wanted to check with someone first. I'll hold it about a week and then get rid of it another way.

I seriously need to de-clutter the cutting table up there because I have those sanitary napkin holders to cut out on the cutting board.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It can take a while to unload stuff. Eventually you'll find places for your stuff to go. I thought we'd never get rid of our motor home. Luckily we did because this summer we had a big tree fall on the parking pad where we stored it. It would have been destroyed and oh so much more fun to try to get rid of in pieces!

I got the painting done, so when Husby gets home we can move the bookcase back. Then we can get the painting stuff out of there, put in the baseboards, and really get moving on this whole project. My part will be mostly done and I can get back to the plans I had before he started this whole mess. I gripe, but I'm glad he finally decided to get going. He's been procrastinating for years so this is a good thing, really.

I've determined we'll most likely have to clear out the back bedroom to get the two large pieces of furniture out, that will be moved into the office. Such fun. Husby said he would move it all, since it's mostly his office stuff. I'm going to let him, and probably hide out in my own office while he does it. This house is going to be unbearable while we go through that process because the only place to stack all that stuff is in the LR. Again, I wish the pool table was gone since the family room is right outside the back bedroom. But then again, I love having the pool table for all the painting I've been doing lately. Maybe we'll clear that off, maybe we won't. At any rate, things should improve once we get those two big pieces out of the bedroom and rearrange it while we're at it. I'm okay with working on the back bedroom because it was almost to the top of my hit list before Husby parked all his office stuff in there. I have lots of sorting and purging to do in there. I've done some, so it probably won't take very long.

I put away all the cast iron I reseasoned yesterday and pulled out three pieces that were being stored in the cabinets and put them on the rack. I still have empty hooks on the rack, so I'm still okay, but I have four of the same size frying pan again. I got rid of some recently. Still not sorry I rescued the Lodge pan from the scrap heap though. It's their current style so it's not even an old pan. Whoever had it couldn't have used it more than about once. They probably burned their food, didn't understand how to deal with CI, and just chucked it. I like it because it has that big helper handle opposite the usual handle, so as I get older or on days when my wrists aren't feeling great, it'll be easier for me to carry it.

I also sanded the antique sewing machine cabinet I bought a while back for $5.

I got it sanded and then took the top assembly off the base and brought that in the house. It needs a bunch of veneer reglued and some other minor repairs, then I can clean and paint it. Can't wait to find out what it's going to look like! I'm going to use it for a plant stand in my office. So I'm feeling like it's progress on that project now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You've been a busy little beaver SD! I cannot believe how much you get done in a day! WTG!

Me? I've been hooking this afternoon. Also phoned my doctor's (GP) office. Gotta talk to her about the new psychiatrist I'm supposed to be seeing. Apparently I don't have to see a psychiatrist anymore because I'm stable. GPs are allowed to write the prescriptions for psychiatric medication now. If that's the case then it's a lot easier just to have it done twice a year at my GP's office, when I'm there for other stuff anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always feel like I'm hardly getting anything done. My house always looks like a bomb hit it. I just can't keep up with everything. I did a lot better when the kids were all home. They helped out with chores, but I was also a lot busier. We just have too darn much stuff now and that means the work load is ridiculous for all the maintenance and just keeping things clean and organized. That's another reason I'm working so hard to get rid of the excess. I'm looking forward to a normal life when I don't have to do all the weird stuff I do now. I want lots of open space in this house so it's easy to sweep and I don't see some dang project that needs attention everywhere I look. I want to get to the point where I don't have too many projects sitting here and that includes all the fabric in the sewing room and other to-do's and UFOs. I feel like we're finally making some progress but still have a lot to do to get things how we want them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I sorted through the parts for the antique sewing cabinet project and Grandma's cabinet. Don't know if I posted this pic or not but I got this cabinet from my grandma's house about fifteen years ago and haven't gotten around to stripping the paint yet.

It's been in the garage most of that time and I finally decided to just clean it and start using it, so that's what I'm doing. It's in my office now. I hope to get the paint stripped next summer, but who knows if I will or not. Anyway, I got the insides of the drawers and door painted now, so that's a start. Husby will probably be clearing out the back bedroom tomorrow so I'm going to paint the inside of the cabinet tomorrow while he's doing that.

I also glued all the places I could find on the sewing cabinet where it's falling apart. It's in much worse shape than I thought it was, but I think it'll be okay. I'm going to base-coat it dark green and then crackle finish it with a light green. I can't wait to see it. Forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I forget sometimes what I've posted where.

I cleared off the pool table except for the sewing cabinet, which is bristling with clamps right now till the glue dries. So that's about ready for Husby to start piling his office stuff on.

The tree guy has been here since early this AM and our dangerous trees are dropping like crazy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like lots is happening at your place SD. You go woman!

I'm taking the day off. I was up to a local knitting group to rip out the baby blanket I'm knitting that had so many mistakes in it. I went all the way back to the ribbing...a good 6" or more. But now I'm back on track. So all is well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate ripping, but I hate leaving the mistakes worse.

I remembered we have a big coffee can of square wooden cabinet knobs. I think those will look nice painted forest green and used on Grandma's cabinet. I'm glad I remembered them BEFORE I clicked Buy It Now on the glass ones I was looking at on eBay for $50! I think the wooden ones will look just as nice and cost us nothing.

The tree guy left. I'm not sure how many trees he cut but it was lots. I think he's coming back Monday to cut some up behind my cabin. It'll be such a relief not to have those huge trees looming over our buildings anymore. It's going to be a mess of dead wood to clean up next summer though. But that's a good lesson to us to get these things cut while they're small and easy for us to handle ourselves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a day! The house looks completely hoarded now except for the back bedroom and the office. There's not even a place to sit down and eat. I expect that part will change quickly but we're too worn out to deal with it tonight.

We moved the long, low cabinet into the office from the back bedroom, moved the bed, moved the double bookcase secretary into the office, moved several smaller pieces, and moved a cabinet with Husby's sports cards in it (had to take them out, of course) yet again. We still have some fine-tuning to do but it's looking good so far.

We were barely able to move the secretary even with rugs under it to slide it. I don't know how we ever got it into the house by ourselves in the first place, but no doubt being twenty years younger helped with that. But it looks great in the office. It's a beautiful old solid oak piece. I'm glad it's out of the bedroom where no one ever sees it and into the office where it'll be used and appreciated. I'm glad I thought about using it in the office instead of buying something. I hope it works out. Husby isn't saying much but I could tell by how he kept trying different decorative things in different places on the top of it that he really likes it. That's good. He was sort of lukewarm about it to begin with. As long as it works out, it'll save us dragging home another big piece of furniture, always a plus.

Hopefully we'll be able to get some of this stuff unpiled, sorted and put away this week. Husby is home all week but the tree guy is coming back again, probably tomorrow, there's Thanksgiving on Thursday, and Friday we have to go into town for some errands, Husby needs to take the snowblower in for service, so that'll disrupt three or four days. But all we can do is start and see what we can get done.

We still have a shelf unit to cut down for the office closet, and I have to start doing a major sort of all the stuff that was in the back bedroom. That's not going to be easy, but I'm in a mood to get rid of crapola, so maybe it won't be so bad. I've decided we need to purge the camping stuff until almost everything fits into the camper. After all, we have a trailer in part so we don't have to drag a bunch of gear from the house to the truck and then back again when we get home. It shouldn't be that hard. Husby brought home boxes for donations and brought a trash can in the house to toss stuff in, so we're ready.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

A busy day yet again for you! WTG!

I'm lazy today. Went to church, came home, had a nap, did a pantry/freezer inventory, made supper, and played games with DH this evening. Back to work tomorrow.

Tomorrow's game plan:

~ menu plan and grocery shop,
    ~ shopping with a friend for a new-to-me purse that actually fits my chequebook!
    ~ laundry,
    ~ hopefully some rug hooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't get as much done as I wanted today. Husby called Dish about our receiver which hasn't been working right for about four months and was informed there's no fix for it, so we upgraded. We've been talking about doing that for a while now, so it wasn't really a quick decision. Husby got them to waive the $95 installation fee which helped. The new receiver is in the entertainment center now so that helps because now I can move the table it's been sitting on, which has been in the way. I think the cats are holding a meeting to complain about that though, because the old receiver was nice and warm and they all took turns sleeping on it. At any rate, having the Dish guy in the house interrupted things somewhat.

I did get a coat of paint on the 'new' sewing machine cabinet I'm making into a plant stand for my office. I was going to do crackle paint but I just don't have the time now, so I'm slapping a coat of dark green on and calling it good. I might put the crackle finish on it sometime or more likely just leave it. It'll be good to get that out of the house. Still have to clean up the metal base for it though. Soon. I don't have space to paint all of the cabinet at once so will have some little pieces to do once the big chunks are out of the way.

Hauled a bunch of stuff out to the cabin, so that's out of the way.

Not much sorting today. We moved a cabinet out of Husby's office that we had moved in there yesterday and rearranged some stuff in the back bedroom, then moved another cabinet from there to his office. Hope it works out this time. He moved the glider rocker out of my office into his, so I hope that works out, too. Sometimes you just can't tell if something is going to work till you try it.

I hope tomorrow is more productive, but the tree guy is supposed to come tomorrow morning to finish up, so that'll probably take care of half the day or more. It's great to have those huge trees down that were so close to the back of our house, and it'll be a relief to get rid of the ones behind the cabin, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lots happening at your place SD! No de-cluttering here today. I got everything done on my list. Found a new purse at an outlet centre for $27 CAD...and it's leather. Kind of tired. I think I'll go to bed early tonight. Tomorrow I have a full day to work on things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats on the purse! I hope it's a good one. It's hard to know until you've used it a while.

We're loving the new sat TV service. Husby wanted to know a while ago why 'we' waited so long to do the upgrade. I said he had to leave me out of that one! LOL. I'd have done it about in July.

Husby put all his books away today so he's happy there was room. He was prepared to get rid of some but now he won't have to. So that's something.

We also discussed three knickknack shelves that were slated to go to GW sometime soon. The wall space reserved for his ugly paperbacks will now be used to hang the three shelves, so he can put up all his little kitschy things. So that's working out. He didn't want to get rid of the shelves. I didn't either but we can't keep it all. So the upshot is all the ugly bookshelves I built back before I had decent tools and didn't know how to build things are gone, except for one in the closet that no one will see anyway. His plan for the books is to purge them as he reads them and not buy any more. I've finally been able to convince him the library can store any books he needs, so we don't have to. Now if I can get him to start using his Nook.

I moved the base for the antique sewing cabinet I'm converting to a plant stand into the cabin today. I decided instead of using steel wool to clean it, I'm going to wash it down with some spray cleaner and forget about it. It'll be fine. I did give it a pretty good scrub outside when I first bought it, so it's not nearly as bad as it was. I feel like I'm closing in on the end of the project.

We put away puzzles and games that got moved out of the back bedroom, too.

The tree guy came and Husby worked for him again, which ended up saving us a lot of money. So we've purged some dangerous trees now, always a good thing. They'll have to be cleaned up a little next spring.

I put a small furniture dolly under a tote I got with some stuff in it at a sale last June, so now I have an easy way to get my water storage out from under a small table in my office. The tote holds six gallon jugs of water. Now the dolly finally has a place to live instead of cluttering up the back porch. Since it's not attached to the tote, we can still use it for furniture if we need it, but it'll be out of the way when we don't.

I sorted a bunch of books out of the secretary we moved into Husby's office, since I told him he could have all but one of the shelves in there. I boxed up about 2/3 of them to give to GW. What I saved were all local history books or gardening and woodworking books.

I decided I will prime the glider rocker frame with Zinsser primer. It claims on the label I don't have to sand, and that will save me some time. So I'm hoping I can get a coat of paint on that soon. Then I'll have to finish up the pieced covers for the cushions. That will go in my office when it's done. Getting the rocker and the sewing machine out of the garage will be a huge help in decluttering the space in front of the van. I really wanted those two things done before winter really sets in and it looks like I should make that goal before long.

I feel like we're finally making progress.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast