2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 15
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    His plan for the books is to purge them as he reads them and not buy any more. I've finally been able to convince him the library can store any books he needs, so we don't have to. Now if I can get him to start using his Nook.
    this is great!

my decluttering, wait for it, put 5 pairs of NIP tights that are too small on Freecycle. I'm exhausted, lol. SD you have so much ambition and energy, I'm jealous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been coasting the past few days, really. I'm just tired and burned out. I help Husby with his purging etc, but haven't really done much myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm taking a break too. I need to do some listing of stuff online to sell. But honestly, I'm just tired of it all. I'm hooking rug for a bit, and knitting, and thinking about Christmas...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby has been moving back into his office like crazy. The hundreds of books are all put away, and he went through all the tourism info again and dumped enough so it all fits into the pocket organizer I made for him to hang behind the office door. I think all he has left is the paperwork which is a bone of contention with me, and some office supplies. He's done great so far.

I've been slacking, but I did decide I didn't like the dark green paint on the sewing cabinet, so I ended up putting the light green crackle finish on it after all. I love it! It's not perfect but it's only the second project I've done and a little bit complex, too, so I'm quite pleased with the results. I didn't have time to clean up the base yet but maybe tomorrow. Then I can reassemble it and the hard parts will all be over. I put everything back together on the top section so that's done and ready. The little tip-out tray that I wasn't sure would ever be in one piece again looks fantastic and fits back in like it just came from the factory. It was really in bad shape before. I sometimes regretted buying this project and didn't know if I could ever make it look nice again, but it's turned out great. I'm glad now I got it. It'll be so cute in my office.

We got the HydroBikes off the trailers and covered for winter, so now we can use the utility trailer to take the snowblower in for service Friday. That hasn't run for years and it'll be good to get that back in working order, too.

Wish the dirt guy would send us a bill for our driveway. He did the work in August but apparently isn't in any hurry to get his money. We have no idea what it's going to cost, so it'll be nice to get that taken care of. Husby's going to call him next week if we haven't heard by then. Our other dirt guy always took forever to bill us, too, so maybe it's just SOP for dirt contractors up here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like your DH is having fun. And he's even de-cluttering to boot. Good for him!

Sounds like the sewing machine cabinet is coming along fine. It would be great to see an after photo of it!

It's odd the dirt guy hasn't called or asked for his money. Usually contractors collect at the end of the month they do the work in, don't they?

I'm still being lazy. I'm skipping out this evening to go visit with friends.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will post the after pic of the cabinet when I'm all done and it's back together, so maybe this weekend sometime.

The dirt guy said he had just done his billing before he came to our place, so it would be a while. We're thinking maybe he does it quarterly. In addition to his dirt business, he also owns a restaurant, grocery store, barbecue business, works as a butcher and makes sausages and other specialty meats for the store, and does I don't know what all else. He's one busy guy! I don't think bookwork is high on his priority list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

He's really a Jack-of-all-trades! Sounds kinda busy alright. Well, I'm warming my butt in a chair right now...literally. Got in from outside and my butt's cold! Not sure what I'll do with the rest of the evening. Maybe talk finances and goals with DH, when he's done watching YouTube videos with his headphones on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been lazing in the sedative recliner most of the evening. I've been cold, too. We were out messing with the bikes and trying to get hooks installed in the garage to hold a ladder in the rafters for over two hours. Glad both are done.

I was just examining the sewing cabinet again. It keeps changing subtly as it gets drier. Very interesting to watch. I can't wait to get this thing put back together again and get it completely finished. I'm already ready to move on to the glider rocker for my office and the three wall shelves for Husby's office. There's always a new adventure.

I'm sort of stalling till next week because I don't want to sort/purge the stuff from the back bedroom, but I do want to get it done. It's not going back where it was! I'm going to have to really bite the bullet on a lot of that stuff. There's a lot of nice camping stuff that was back there, but we don't need it. A lot of it is stuff we got and then got nicer stuff, or bought it and then it didn't work out as planned. Some is stuff we're hanging onto 'just in case.' Most of that can go. But I really want to get rid of almost all the camping stuff that won't fit in the trailer or truck. We tend not to use it otherwise. The trailer will get a major purge in the spring, too.

It's going to be so great to get both of those rooms organized, finally. That'll be an incentive to get the rest of the place done. My office is close to done, too. I have a few things to go to GW or be tossed. If I'd just get on with it, it probably wouldn't take long. I think the 'new' sewing cabinet will be a great incentive. That, and the 'new' glider rocker I salvaged, the one that's waiting for paint and new cushions. That'll go in my office in the middle of the floor, but the middle of the floor is now covered with boxes of assorted stuff and picture frames. At any rate, it looks like December is going to be as busy as November, but not nearly as much fun.

I have to get back to writing, too. Nothing seems to ever write itself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Even when you're relaxing you are planning the next round of purging/de-cluttering/fixing! WTG SD! I must admit, today I am taking it easy yet again. Too many errands to do. Picked up my repaired shoes...cost $15. Went to see my new cardiologist. That took 2 1/2 hours!!! Waiting for the upholsterer to show up with a new improved seat cushion for my Mission oak chair.

Then I will rug hook a bit and do some de-cluttering before supper... This evening I have company.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, it's a whole new me. I never used to be like this. I just let the chips fall where they may, no planning, no doing anything unless I felt like it. That's how we got into the mess. You know that old saying, if you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got. We have to change habits or we'll never get out from under the clutter and excess. I've gotten to be a much better planner.

Part of being in such a red-hot hurry to get to the next thing is just that I dragged both of those projects home in late summer with the intention they would not become UFOs sitting around in the way in the garage all winter and dragging me down when spring comes. I have to get them done, if for nothing more than to prove to myself I can finish things in a relatively timely manner.

I dragged home another project today, too. We were at Mom's for Thanksgiving and she started going on about some fabric she just bought and now can't figure out what to do with. Stupid me, I said I'd take the fabric home and see if I have some that will go with it because you don't have enough, and oh, by the way, I'll take home that sweatshirt you like so much because I think I have a pattern for one like it and I want to compare the sizes. The ulterior motive is I'll make the dang thing for her for Christmas. At least this project has a deadline, so I'm more likely to get it done. It really shouldn't take me long. Why do I keep saying that about every stupid thing I dream up to do?

Husby carried the sewing cabinet top out to the cabin today, but that's all I got done on that. We did lots of little chores for Mom though. I didn't even get the first coat of paint on the small parts, so I'm behind on that. Tomorrow we have to load the stupid snowblower up and take that in for service and do our weekly errands and drop off a bunch of stuff at GW, if we get it packed up. I wanted to do that today, too, but didn't.

Mom gave us a wall shelf for Husby's stuffed toys. (Don't ask.) We put that up as soon as we got home. It's a nice fit over the license plate bulletin board. She also gave him a cast iron wall hook thingie with four hooks which he put up in his office closet, so he can hang up all the bags he drags to work with his lunch and what not. Two problems dealt with. Excellent.

We sorted through a large tote full of office supplies this AM and got that emptied. I hate going through all that little piddly stuff. I never know quite where to go with it and besides, I work and work and it doesn't seem like I get anywhere. We also emptied out the desk section and the last three drawers in the secretary, so now he can move stuff into that, too. Not sure what he'll put in the drawers, because they're over a hundred years old and can't hold heavy things like papers. He'll probably put stuff like computer cables and stuff that's bulky but not real heavy. I'm sure he'll figure out something to put in it. Man, does that thing hold the stuff! It's so big and has such a variety of different storage spaces.

I'm still looking for the upper tension assembly for my industrial sewing machine. I finally realized the same place that services my home machine might be able to find me a part. I've been looking for several years with no luck, so it's worth a try. They don't really service industrial machines but maybe they have some ideas anyway. I need to see if I can e them. I'd happily drive to Hibbing to get it if they could order me one. I can use my machine for my own use but because the upper tension is never right, I can't use it for anything to sell. That has to change. That's related to purging because I have several project UFOs that I need to work on using that machine, but I can't because it just doesn't work well enough. I also keep tripping over the huge bag with the new AAR (Add A Room) cabana for our camper. It has to be modified to fit Ty's pointy head, and I can't do that the way my machine is either. And I really want that out from underfoot. So I need to step up the hunt for that part. I can't believe it's so hard to find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's a bit of a domino effect, isn't it? If you can't find the tension assembly you can't do two or three other projects. I find that so frustrating when it happens here.

I have a drum carder in pieces that is holding projects up and taking up space in my sewing room. I need to get a pulley band the right length. I ordered one, but it's too long. It's a round clear acrylic/rubber hose, 1/4" diameter. I have no idea if I can cut it and then melt it and seal it together permanently, or if that will just wreck it. I ordered it stateside, from NC. I'm understandably reluctant to order a replacement part, given the exchange, shipping, customs & duty rates. Especially if it's an easy fix.

My biggest problem right now is my rug hooking studio looks like a bomb went off. I'm working on a rug and colour planning as I go. Means things get pulled off the shelf and I paw through it all looking for just the right colour and texture. I don't clean up till the project is completed. Hopefully by the end of next week!

OH, re: a shelf for stuffed animals...DH keeps childhood comics in plywood boxes he made when he was a teenager...and thinks they make a suitable bedside table.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went through my quilting fabric and scrap fabric for 100% cotton in colourful patterns to make sanitary napkin holders for women in Africa. There is a local group that organizes the making of these by the thousands and sends them over to Africa once a year. I committed myself to making some of them. Now I'm scouting out free fabric to make them. Somehow word has got around I'm making 100 of these things. I do not recall saying that initially, but it's as good a goal as any to reach for! I start cutting them out next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What's really aggravating is if I could only find the part, it would take like three minutes to fix it. It's bolted on with two bolts that go right into the front of the machine head, so it's a matter of unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one and done.

I don't think you could cut and melt rubber, but I could be wrong. Have you ever seen those round leather belts on old treadle machines? They were cut to length and then joined with a steel staple or clip that would travel smoothly around the wheel the treadle turned to power the machine. I wonder if something like that would work for you. I don't know where you'd get the clip, but I bet you could fabricate something. Someone at the hardware store should be able to help. A hog ring might even work. Here's a short YouTube showing how to install the clip. It's sort of hard to see the clip itself, but it's not very complex. I realize you're not talking about a part for a sewing machine, but if I'm understanding you correctly, it's the same concept with the carder.

how to replace belt on treadle sewing machine - Bing video

There are lots of videos if you search for 'how to replace belt in treadle sewing machine' so if this one doesn't have enough info, maybe another one would be clearer.

We took a truckload of stuff to GW today, so that much is out of the house. That helped a lot.

I got the base for the sewing machine cabinet as clean as I'm willing to make it. It's not perfect but no one will know and I'm tired of messing with it. I set the top back on the base but it's not reattached yet. I'm tired and the screws were in the garage and I wasn't, so tomorrow will be soon enough. I also got the first coat of paint on the small parts for that project, and cut the spacers down so they'll all fit into the drawers for storage. I'll get the second layer of base coat on tomorrow and then should be able to do the glue and top coat Sunday. Maybe Monday I can call it finished, I hope.

Got the first coat on the eleven knobs for my grandma's kitchen cabinet, too. I'll probably do three coats on those just because knobs are constantly handled (HA! A pun!) and the paint will rub off, so might as well start with more layers. So those should be done Sunday, too.

Monday I'm going to start the Big Declutter of the stuff from the back bedroom. Maybe I'll even start this weekend. I'm hoping for another truckload of donations by the end of next week, but we'll have to wait and see if I can stick with it. It's going to be difficult.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dunno. Colorful sanitary napkin holders? Maybe they should be more discreet. But whatever works, I guess. Kudos for doing that, btw. Very nice of you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll watch the video later. Thanks for the ideas SD. Yeah, the African women specifically asked for colourful sanitary napkin holders to hide the stains. They wash things in streams/rivers in that part of Africa.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast