2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gave a gift to one of my DD's (she didn't want it) accidentally back to the original giver. I actually had it by the door to be donated. The giver was visiting and saw it in my 'donate' pile and asked for it back. I said a quick "Sure!" and let her have it. I'd rather she got rid of it to her satisfaction.

Talked to her husband a bit about stamp collections. Apparently we share a hobby. But I want to sell my collection. I took him upstairs and showed him some of the stamps I had. He was giving me advice about where to take my collection to get it appraised. Hmm...not sure if there's anyone locally who can do it. He told me to be sure they are certified appraisers. That way I would know they were trustworthy. Something to work on this year...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went through my dresser and got rid of a box full of clothes from there. Now need to do the closet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Researched the Net and discovered we have no certified stamp collection appraisers near us. The closest is 2-3 hours away. Guess I'll be hanging onto this collection longer than I thought. I did do a lot of reading last night on various sites regarding appraising stamps. It was interesting. If I pay attention to them my collection is basically worthless...even with the mint stamps in it. One guy went so far as to recommend just using any stamps newer than 1970, as they had little value. I don't know what they expect from an itty bitty piece of paper. Of course it's not worth much, unless it's a rarity. But those get snapped up by people working in the post office and serious collectors long before the rest of the world hears about them. I was hoping to get at least face value for the mint stamps. The problem is I don't trust myself to value them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We hauled boxes of books and household stuff taking up half the back seat of the truck to GW today. It's good to get that excess out of here.

Husby hauled out a load of shredded paper from his office, along with several boxes of old papers. More progress!

I cleaned up the drawers from the steel cabinet that will go into his office, and put them away into the cabinet. Now that's ready to hold office supplies as he runs across them. Once the office supplies are all sorted and grouped in one place, we'll go through those and see if any need to be gotten rid of. That way we'll know what we have before we purge anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like we are going to be cleaning out and finishing our library room for a bedroom. Right now it's full of Mom's collectibles that DD1 & DD2 are trying to sell on eBay and vintage fabric on Etsy. I guess we'll just box everything up and take it to Mom's storage building. DH and I will need to use this for our bedroom if Mom comes to live with us. She will use our bedroom because it's on the first floor.

Mom spent Tuesday night in the hospital. We were in town getting groceries and her left arm kept falling off the cart handle. She just didn't act right. They did CT scan of her head, ultra sound of her carotid arteries, 24 hr heart monitor, lots of blood work, chest x-ray. Everything was good. They said she didn't have a stroke but said maybe she was going to have one. Then last night, she kind of "wrenched" her shoulder and her hand went numb instantly. She said she rubbed her shoulder muscles and the numbness went away just as quickly. Puzzling. Maybe her not acting right was a blood sugar problem. She has a appointment Monday afternoon to see her FNP and hopefully get a referral to a neurologist. Her left arm goes through spells of being numb and weak, then it will be OK. She's very discouraged.

We did get rid of a car trunk load of stuff to Goodwill a few weeks ago. Technically before I joined this challenge but I just wanted to report something positive!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I gave away another puzzle today. Only two left!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

January de-cluttering progress:
    1) took several boxes of nearly empty cans of oil based paint and other toxic waste to the recycling center
    2) returned one Christmas item
    3) shredded 2 large manilla envelopes full of old business paperwork
    4) signed up for spring consignment sale and started working on getting items ready and entered into sale's database.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't gotten much done on the decluttering front lately, although I did rearrange the pantry yesterday while suffering through a bout of writer's block. Husby has been purging like crazy though and has three good size boxes and about twenty gallons of paper shreds ready to go to recycle now. I'm glad someone is making progress around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally decided to get rid of some Christmas dishes and drinkware, plus a few assorted decorations. They will be taken to the mission next week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dragged in all the dishes from the unheated back porch, since the weather was pretty warm today. When I unloaded the cabinet they were in I realized I had already purged that cabinet, but managed still to weed out four good-sized boxes including two complete sets of china (service for 8 and 9) that had belonged to Husby's parents. We will still have a set (service for 6) of theirs and my parents' wedding china (service for 8). That should be plenty since we never use china. I also went through all the serving dishes and got rid of a bunch. I still have too much of that stuff but will get rid of some more next round. So we'll have the four big boxes of dishes to get rid of next time we go into town, and that'll feel great to be rid of all that. I don't think I cleared enough space to move my canners into that cabinet, but it's a start. Now everything is organized too, so I know what I have.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The move is done, the movers estimated that they brought 27 m3. In addition, we have bought a new (gasp!) washer, dryer, freezer, fridge and microwave. Also, we had to get a couple of electric heaters and lamps. The wood stove in the new house is crazy inefficient, and I although I knew that the place was older and less insulated, I never imagined that we would feel the difference so acutely. Will have to replace a couple of the windows, get a new wood stove, and think about getting a water borne heating system or some sort of heat pump. I want a combined solar and wood heating system, DH thinks that is too much work. He wants solar panels for electricity instead.

Have started unpacking, but the clothing storage here is... Well, there is no system. Instead of trying to make do, we'll keep most of the stuff boxed up and wait for DH to make a system that works. That way, it will get easier to downsize the wardrobes when we unpack all the clothes. The kids are already ready to get rid of a lot of stuff.

The kitchen has much more storage space than we need for plates and pans, so there is plenty of room for my stockpile. We are very close to the Swedish border, and will do some shopping trips there when we have gotten used to everything. But this week, me and the girls are alone in the house without DH or a car, so now we are basicly living of the stockpile. I have a bread dough raising right now, that feels nice. Will try to go most of the week witout shopping anything.
    Total paid/saved: $82 600
    Total goal 2019: $12 200 done ($39 300 to go)
    Total goal: $272 900
    To do: $190 300

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorted another box o'crap from Husby's parents, stuff that should have never been brought into our house at all. Husby had to clean out his parents' house by himself 350 miles from here in about three days, so at that time he just grabbed what he thought needed to be saved without really looking at things in detail. He did a good job prioritizing considering how little room he had to bring things back home and to his dad's new apartment up here, but things got packed away because we were afraid his dad would ask for something and we wouldn't have it, so nothing got sorted and sat around our place for years. FIL died and we sort of forgot we had to sort that stuff yet, but now it's turning up and we're glad to finally get rid of it. Husby is rolling along and had to call me into his office just now to see how much floor space he has cleared. He must have gone through at least twenty boxes in the past week. And paperwork takes longer to do than other stuff, too. He's doing great. I told him when he gets it so we can close the walk-in closet door, we could start rearranging furniture, which is what I've been looking forward to. The closet is stacked floor to ceiling with more crap, but since Husby has the decluttering bug now, I'm sure he'll stick with it till everything is done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting rid of all my silk greenery! Today I gave away a huge bag for free on Craigslist. Also cleaned out all the sporting catalogs I keep finding all over the house.... And, have three blankets in the donate pile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby loaded up another truckload of papers and our usual recycle stuff, so that's going away tomorrow.

The pile of dead electronics is growing next to the dead flat screen TV in the living room. Once we've weeded out everything we can find, we'll haul it all out. We shuffled TVs around over the weekend, so now the right TVs are in the right places, and I think we're finally down to the correct amount of TVs instead of having spares that were too good to throw out but no one wanted to buy. We're happy we saved the biggest analog TV we had before buying the now-dead flat screen, so we can now use that again and save the cost of a new flat screen.

I was sure I couldn't get all my canning stuff in the bottom of the big cabinet in our back porch, but somehow I managed today. I like the new arrangement! That emptied a base cabinet and part of an upper cabinet in the kitchen. I'm going to add a Rev-A-Shelf double pull-out in that cabinet as soon as we go out of town so I can buy one, and then sort and purge all the Tupperware into the Rev-A-Shelf. That will empty some space in the buffet but more importantly, the T-ware will finally be organized and easier to deal with. The T-ware I use for portion control and helping me eat right will also be organized so I don't have to search for it. Still have to sort and purge the upper cabinet so both the upper and base cabinets can be used for T-ware.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just dropped off a load at the thrift. The rest of the faux greenery, two blankets, two large bags of misc, and a box of kitchen misc.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast