2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've sent a box to the church garage sale to help raise funds to repave the parking lot. I have another box to go, but it might not make the sale in time. Might just end up general charity.

I finished going through the piles of papers and books in the living room. It's done. The only thing out of place I can see is a box of decorative plates and pictures I removed from the wall to make room for my hooked rugs. Everything will go into the dining room, where we are thinking of doing a salon style wall with corner to corner and ceiling to floor artwork...well, maybe ceiling to halfway down. We have a lot of furniture against the wall the paintings, etc. are going on.

DH also suggested hanging some stuff in the hallway around the bookcases. It's a 4' wide hallway, so we might do that too. But that's for another day.

I'm motivated to declutter the sunroom studio and entryway before tomorrow noon. I teach a rug hooking class around my dining room table in the afternoon.

Next week my brother is visiting. I am going to go through Mom's photo albums with him. I want to pare those down and get rid of stuff. So far I've gone from 22 to 11. Not bad. Need to go further. It didn't help that the last time I visited him he gave me 6 more to go through and scan.

Then two Mondays from now I have a local charity stopping by to pick up some clothes and household items I don't want. So I'm planning on doing a wardrobe de-clutter after dbro leaves. It will be a busy couple of weeks here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Next week my brother is visiting. I am going to go through Mom's photo albums with him. I want to pare those down and get rid of stuff. So far I've gone from 22 to 11. Not bad. Need to go further. It didn't help that the last time I visited him he gave me 6 more to go through and scan.

!
    wow, you've done a ton! Do you have any advice on how to make scanning old photos easier? I last did it about 5 yrs ago, it took entire days. I'd put 4 pics on the scanner, I don't even remember how I straightened them out, they are all crooked. Then somehow got them into IPhoto, I do not remember how, it must have been magic, lol. Is there a better, quicker way that's come out in the 5 yrs that I have totally walked away from this hideous project?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bernice, my hubby actually does the scanning. I just use a cattle prod to get him motivated! Actually, the promise of throwing out the album and photos afterwards helps. He then makes a CD for everyone in the family, or saves it to flash drives for them. As far as I know he scans one photo at a time. He does spend hours at it, but he's usually working in his office on his laptop while he's scanning photos on the main house laptop on the landing. yeah. We have his, hers, and the house laptops. He's also figured out a way to write captions under the photos. Again, I don't know how. He's working with a PC computer, not a MAC.

I took all the artwork off the dining room wall. I think we'll only need to turn one wall into a salon style wall. I removed three paintings to hang in the hallway. Everything else will go up on the wall. There actually is less than I thought.

Worked on decluttering my freezer today. Made some Rhubarb Strawberry Sorbet and some Rhubarb Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Two fewer bags of rhubarb. Only 3 gallons to go! Unfortunately I gave a fourth gallon to a friend and she wants to return it. She hasn't used any of it and has had it a month. I dug out my rhubarb cookbook though, so I'm good to go. Lots of rhubarb recipes to try.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Got all the pictures/artwork back up on the wall. Now to do a final pick up and cleaning before I teach here tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went into my sewing room today and found two boxes from a previous de-clutter that needed to go out. Also found a needlework frame and canvas I don't use and put them on the landing to go. I'm going to get Hubby to help me load up the car Monday so I can do the rounds of the crafting groups next week and see who needs what.

Also have a box for the church still. Will take that in tomorrow. Need to keep at it. My SIL will want to go into my sewing room, I'm sure! Unless her knee is too bad to make it up the stairs.

ETA: also culled greeting cards today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I gave Husby a 500-page manuscript to shred. I hope I don't regret it later. But I think I have another paper copy and at least two or three digital copies, and if I don't, well, I have to rewrite the whole dang thing anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a question SD, do I have to keep all the drafts of a book I wrote and self-published? Right now they are taking up half of a filing cabinet drawer. Someone told me to cover myself legally I need to do that. Is that true? DH and I were kind of hoping to have a bonfire this fall and burn all that...as well as the books that didn't sell. We already made money on the print run. So that's not an issue. Just the books are out of date now and we're out of the loop when it comes to the homeschooling crowd, so we're just wanting to burn these.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would only keep a copy of the draft you actually published and sold. The only legal reason I can think of to keep any copy is in case you have to prove copyright in court, and I'm not sure, the way things can be duplicated these days, that even having a copy of the book would prove that. If it's outdated info then the odds are no one would plagiarize it anyway, so IMO it's unlikely you would ever need to prove your copyright. But I'm not a literary attorney and I'm not in Canada either, so I could be all wrong. But if it was me, I'd just keep a copy of the draft actually published, like I said. It's not likely anyone else would have a copy to steal of the older drafts, and even if they did, chances are it's basically the same as the published draft anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks SD.

I took the box of extra disposable plates, cutlery, cups, etc. and extra pens and pencils to the church. The minister thought I was bringing stuff to the garage sale the church had yesterday a day late! I told her what it all was and she was very thankful. So nice to be appreciated! The garage sale, btw, and the hot dog sale we had with it, netted almost $2000 to pay for the church parking lot!

Today's job? De-clutter the garden! I need to get out and deadhead a few plants to make the place a bit more presentable. I've been ignoring it in the heat, smoke, and basically crappy weather. But today is the day...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We put up our little plastic storage shed today, so that's out of the garage. Not sure what else we'll do yet. We need to work on the space where the greenhouse goes, I think. It's the same space we'll need to set ladders on to put the garage gutters up, and both are priorities so that seems to make sense. It's hot though, and making us both lightheaded, so not sure if we're up to it or not.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD we were out working in the garden and came in. It's breezy and not too hot, but the sun is very bright, making me a bit lightheaded at least. But the backyard is looking better. Now for the front. Just got a call from another set of company and they're on their way over in an hour or so. Never a dull moment here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just finished the front yard. Boarder was up to make lunch. It stank like cooked onion and eggs. I quickly opened all the doors and put on a pot of cinnamon and cloves in water to boil on the stove. Also prepared coffee for company. It worked! It now smells like cinnamon, cloves, and coffee. A much nicer smell!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I cleaned up six very dusty AeroGardens and got them ready for their new storage spots out in the cabin. That'll help cut down the clutter in the house instead of having them sitting around in the way. I need to get the fall gardens planted so they have some time to start producing about the time the outside plants quit. Husby took some of them out, which is a big help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I gave company some wooden and tin boxes for organizing their mess, and they also took a Shakespeare book and Beanie Baby I was getting rid of.

I went in the basement before they came and was sorting out the cold room and utility room. The cold room is in the utility room and under the stairs. It's a disaster! I organized it a bit, but truth be told, I have far too many canning jars. I think it's time to get rid of some. People keep giving them to me. I didn't can at all last year, but I'm planning on canning this year.

I also organized the utility room a bit. We have a huge shelving unit there and people take things off and don't put them back on. It's frustrating. So I packed up the cooler and picnic stuff and put it all away.

Still more work to do down there, but that's a start. Mostly it was reorganizing, not tossing or donating stuff. Which is what really needs to happen.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The AGs fit nicely on the new shelf. The ones left in the house should be started up. I'm having trouble figuring out where to put them since Sota moved in. The boy will eat tomatoes and peppers right off the vine, so I need them to be up high and I just don't have space for more than four of them up high. I need to be able to use the lower spaces for six of them. I'm trying to figure out how to fence them off in some decorative way that would still allow me to care for the gardens.

I decluttered a hair color kit from the bathroom cabinet and dyed my hair tonight.

I have too many canning jars too, but can't seem to let them go and I'm not sure why.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast