2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 2015 Household Purge/De-clutter Challenge

This challenge is for those who are interested in de-cluttering or purging all or parts of their homes in 2015. Join in anytime and post your progress. Before and after photos are welcome!

I'm currently working on the main floor of my home. I plan to do a deep de-clutter in 2015. I would like to ideally cut our possessions by one quarter to one third.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Okay, I drew up a mind map on my iPad mini Simple Mind app for de-cluttering the main floor of the house. Listed things that have to go and where I want to move things to. Talking to DH about renovating the dining room instead of building a new garage and fence this summer. I doubt we'll have enough money for the garage and fence. Or the energy to stomach another renovation so soon after the kitchen. The kitchen still has issues that need to be sorted out.

At any rate, DH thought my mind map looked good. Though he seemed a tad confused. I don't think he's used to mind maps. He's a logical linear kind of guy. I'm the more spontaneous out there kind of gal. Still, there is lots we can do that doesn't require ripping down walls.

If we rip down the dining room walls though, we're looking at replacing knob and tube wiring and asbestos insulation around the air ducts. That could easily be $10,000 CAD by the time we're finished...just for new dining room walls. The reason it is even a question is because we have cracks in two opposite walls of the dining room. Not nice cracks that filler could fill, but crumbling plaster cracks from when we had the house leveled.

Still, for now I will be happy to de-clutter stuff, move furniture around, replace some aging furniture, discard some old furniture period, and acquire some better suited furniture for our living space.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have to re move the asbestos, or can it be encapsulated? Just a thought, I really don't know.

Why do you have to rip down all the dining room walls? Are you going for an open floor plan?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Never heard of encapsulating asbestos??? The insurance company is after us to rip out the knob and tube. Won't insure us for the full value of the house until it's gone. The walls are plaster and lath and falling to pieces. If we don't take them down, they may take themselves down. But we shall see. If DH would/could fix them, then I'd prefer they stay where they're at. I mean, I can decorate a room with them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it was me, I'd put replacing that old wiring at the top of the priority list. That stuff is dangerous, and I would just want it gone NOW.

Old walls can be hazardous, too. There's a lot of lead paint in old houses and breathing in that dust can be bad. Hope you can find a good solution to the problem. I'm just glad we sold our old money pit in Minneapolis, and the far worse money pit we owned in town here. I wouldn't mind buying a fixer for our next house, but it has to be structurally sound and need only cosmetic work we can do ourselves, or be priced low enough that we can hire work done and still keep our overall investment low. It's sure interesting to look and see what's out there.

Now there's timing. Husby just walked in and said he has made a list of 28 houses he wants to drive by the next time we're in the town we might be interested in moving to.

Have to do the editor thing for Husby's year-end review for work. It can be challenging since I don't speak the internal language they use, but I guess he thinks it helps to have me look it over anyway. Then I should work on sanding the little cabinet and getting it ready to paint. I hate that and always procrastinate about it, which is stupid since it's not going to take much. Once that's done, it won't take long to slap a couple coats of paint on the thing. I could have it all done and checked off the list by this time tomorrow. We'll see if I can make myself do it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! We moved into our dream home in May 2014, and between school, work and kiddos we barely are unpacked! I'm using this challenge as a get unpacked challenge, but also to make my house into a home! I need curtains, I need decor, I need organization!

I do admit, I tend to get a bit of OCD tendencies when I want to do something a certain way. In that I won't unpack that box until I have proper places to put the stuff, and I can't do that until this this and this happens first lol. Hopefully this challenge will get me moving!
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! We moved into our dream home in May 2014, and between school, work and kiddos we barely are unpacked! I'm using this challenge as a get unpacked challenge, but also to make my house into a home! I need curtains, I need decor, I need organization!

I do admit, I tend to get a bit of OCD tendencies when I want to do something a certain way. In that I won't unpack that box until I have proper places to put the stuff, and I can't do that until this this and this happens first lol. Hopefully this challenge will get me moving!
    Step 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can understand that, Raiquee. One of the most frustrating things for me with our massive decluttering is that everything is related to everything else. It's like a big circle, and at first, wherever I wanted to jump into the circle, I needed to do other things first. All you can do is start. For me it finally started clicking when I realized I couldn't do it all in one chunk. I started the first step by simply getting the items that belonged in a specific place into that place, even if there wasn't storage to put it in yet. Getting the stuff all together helped me come up with storage ideas and helped me realize how much storage I needed for a particular category of items, and what type of storage I needed. Having things all together where they should be helped a lot to visualize what I needed to to, and then I could move forward with putting stuff away more easily.

I still run into logjams at times though. Right now, I have furniture and appliances that need to be moved, but they can't be put in their places till we sell the pool table. All I can do is leave stuff as is for now, move on to something else, and work around it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have the same problem here. I call it "The Domino Effect". You do one thing and it affects another, which affects another, etc., etc. Until at some point near the end you either have success (if you've planned it right) or chaos (if you haven't planned it right)!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't do the sanding yet, but I did get the door taken off. I also rounded up nine jelly jars and lids/rings, and made them into a little storage system I attached to the bottom of the sewing room wall cabinet. I think I'm going to like it. I didn't gain any space though. I have a small wall shelf attached to the side of a bookcase, filled with jars of stuff. But I don't have any space for a clock and really need a clock in my sewing room, so I put the stuff that was in those jars in the new jars. I'll take the shelf down and put the clock there. Should work out well. I guess maybe I did gain a little space because not all the jars were full and most of them aren't canning jars, so they can go into the recycle box. So that's something done today, at least.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut) Haha! Nice way of calling it!

DH ended up going and hanging things up on the wall willy nilly. I told him I had plans for things, and he said well until we can afford to get all these photos printed and frames, lets just hang them up. Hes right, so I let him.

Tomorrow I am going to do some work in the office/nursery. I have a bad habit of getting things to file and putting them in a drawer until I "have" time. Well...the pile is quite large. I want to go through it all, file it and try and keep it tidy. I need to make a bin for papers that need to be filed, and make myself responsible for filing it away once a week. I also need to update my files I keep on my PC.

I am also taking things to goodwill tomorrow. I will do an update then!
    Step 2

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a bunch of pictures hung up willy-nilly too. Our problem is that until we're done purging furniture, we don't know where things can go on the walls because the furniture isn't arranged the way it will eventually be.

I did finally get the valances I made about three years ago hung in the LR. Most of them anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in! I struggle between loving open, un cluttered spaces and having a sentimental attachment to items. I try to tell myself that the person who gave it to me doesn't even remember, so I can trash it! I have seen the deal before were you get rid of however many the year is, so my goal is 2015 items in 2015!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need this challenge. I need to stop hanging on to stuff, telling myself that I really will finish that project, craft or whatever and not following through. More importantly, I need to stop buying more stuff when my home is already too full. I am going to work on using up what I have, resisting the urge to add to the clutter by buying more and in getting rid of items that are on the "someday I am going to" list.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You and me both, Mamaw. The hard part is trying to figure out what we don't need and won't use. OTOH, unless it's something really unique, spectacular, and expensive, most things aren't that hard to replace if it turns out we need it later on.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast