2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 107
Page 107 of 271 FirstFirst ... 75797104105106107108109110117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My appointment is a week from today, but thanks!

I wish I could stick with purging and cleaning for a whole day at a time, but I burn out on the sorting and purging after a couple hours. Oh, well, eventually I'll get it all done. I hope.

I use this recipe for creamed soup. It's not the same flavor as the canned version, but after a while we preferred it over the canned stuff, that just tasted so oily and stale and heavy. I don't use the bouillon because of the sodium and the fact it hardens in storage. I also use 2/3 cup of mix instead of the 1/3 called for. I think the instructions are to make something similar to the condensed soup that's been reconstituted, but for hotdishes and a lot of other recipes, you would use canned soup without thinning it at all, and doubling the amount of mix makes the end result a lot thicker and more like the condensed version.

Cream of Anything Soup Mix

4 cups powdered milk
    1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
    1⁄2 cup instant chicken bouillon granules
    4 teaspoons dried onion flakes
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    2 teaspoons basil, crushed dried
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms (optional, cream of mushroom soup)
    1⁄2 cup asparagus (optional- cream of asparagus soup)
    1⁄2 cup broccoli (optional- cream of broccoli soup)
    1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional- cheese soup)
    1⁄2 cup celery (optional- cream of celery soup)
    1⁄2 cup chicken (optional- cream of chicken soup)
    1⁄2 cup diced potato (optional- cream of potato soup)
    1⁄2 cup tomatoes (optional- cream of tomato soup)
    1⁄2 cup shrimp (optional- cream of shrimp soup)

Directions

Measure all dry ingredients and place in a Ziploc Bag.
    Combine and place in a storage container.
    To use combine 1/3 cup mix with 1 cup of water.
    Add in any of the above optional ingredients.
    Cook over low heat until thickened.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whoo Hoo SD!! Thats only about 50mg per can vs 800mg on the can!! I can deal with that!! I have been so hungry for soup, maybe this will solve that problem too!! Thank you SO much!!

Oh well Good Luck for next week !! Man, I dont even have the day right, having a senior moment..

Hikr00, you need to get this recipe!!

Thanks again SD!!

A couple hours is better than nothing! and you are doing it everyday, which has to be doing alot!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

whoever asked (pintree?) Dmom's tests are tomorrow. Dmom says my Dbro says I can come if i want. Isn't that nice? Dang.

Took Dh's car in for the air conditioning check. yes,its the compressor/And no I will not spent $900. on a 2006 Saturn w/ 112,000 miles on it. Dh is working at home anyway now. So it goes. $35. to check it,no charge for the wasted freon.
    Better spent on vet bills IMHO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wish my appointment had been today, Pinetree. I want to get new glasses! Although the dollar store ones seem pretty good and I expect to keep some of those around for spares. I don't know if I'll need prescription glasses anymore. It's so amazing! I was looking at the TV this AM and realized I had NO glasses on and could read the fine print on the screen very clearly. Loved that!

Don't get too excited about the soup yet! It's not going to taste like the canned stuff. It took us a while to get used to the different taste, but it was worth it.

Oh, yeah, a couple hours at a time is making a BIG difference vs. doing nothing! I can move around in my office now. It's still cluttered and not sorted but just taking the time to put things in orderly piles has made a huge difference. My goal right now is clearing/sorting/whatever the big bookshelves in the middle room so I can get some more storage ready. Then there's a big wall unit in that room that's full of paint and a jumble of stuff, four shelves and six drawers, but most of that crap hasn't been looked at in years and can just go, so I hope it won't take long. Then I'll have most of the bookshelves, wall shelves/drawers, and the new big e-center to stash camping stuff, books, and other stuff and finally get it all organized. After that, I can start on my office and the big closet in there. The smallest room, the entry, is where my gardening stuff is but I can't really start that till we figure out what all goes in the greenhouse, which will be right outside the door. I think I'm going to love that arrangement.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, aww, brings back memories of junk from years ago taking my Dad in.. Maybe you should go so you dont miss out on things that are important, that no one seems to tell you.Sorry about the ac.

SD, I plan on cheating with the soup, maybe add 1c. mushrooms, and put 1/2 c in the blender and make them liquid, for more of a mushroom, taste? Think that will work? I am finding out that not being able to have mushroom soup, I can eat these and they taste wonderful,, so we will see. Got to remember I have gone 7 months now with no salt..

Hey you are such a cook can you add corn starch in for flour? Flour has salt, as baking powder, trying to knock out more of the salt, was just wondering if it can be done, like my spinach casserole. This all seems to add up really fast. TIA.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you can use cornstarch for flour, but I'm not sure about the details. Don't people who can't eat gluten use it for flour? Not sure. If you're talking about using cornstarch as a thickener, I use it all the time to thicken most everything. I think it takes less cornstarch to thicken something than flour though, so if you're going to sub cornstarch for all the flour in that recipe, it might get really thick!

Of course you can add mushrooms since it's 'cream of anything'! Should taste good. I wonder what the texture would be if you grind the mushrooms up too much though. Might be sort of gritty. But then I'm not a fan of blender-ed soups.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thinkking about blending alittle just to add more flavor, instead of using the cubes, maybe will just have to try it, if I have to throw it out, well guess I throw it out... Not sure on flour,thought if I could cut 1/2 of flour, like in a cake, Iit would cut the salt down more.? Just not sure what I'm after I guess!!

ilc Hi, off to read, good to see you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could try just a very small batch and see what happens using more cornstarch.

Husby announced out of the blue that he was going out to cut down all the saplings in front of my office. I was out there a while. I can see the lake again! That's so nice. I think he's still holding out hope for that million-dollar, multi-book deal and wants to do whatever he can to make it happen. LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

3/3 today. I was just so tired today, though. I didn't sleep well and got up early, so I guess it will bean early bedtime tonight.
    I got directions printed for my trip to the stock up store tomorrow. I normally just go straight up Route 23, but the Women's PGA has the road closed for their tournament. I don't know why they had to have the stupid road closed, the course isn't on the road!

Tomorrow:

1. Go to the store.
    2. Put away groceries.
    3. Put recipes in binders. I keep printing them out, but I'm awful about filing them.

Have a fabulous day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, we are a busy and talkative bunch today.

fw, hope you can go to your mom's appt tomorrow. Good luck with your brother.

om, I like to say that our yard is green due to weeds. It's got a few okay spots but the weeds would love to take over...

SD, what good progress you're making!

hikr, hope your DH is feeling better and that you have a good trip to visit the in-laws.

Ayanka, I'm glad you'll be getting some days off soon!

Jen, you're sounding as though you are feeling all right.

RABBIT, sorry that tooth hurts!

Bernice, it sounds as though you have a good plan for cutting expenses. I hope you'll continue to learn from posts here at FV.

pinetree, oh yum, ice cream, it's making me want to go to Dairy Queen!

Niko and momof5boys, hope you'll be able to post again soon.

Today we spent with my best friend and her husband and son. It was lots of fun, as always, and they gave me some peaches from our favorite farm market!
    We spent more time than we anticipated with them so our other things we needed to do have fallen by the wayside. I did manage to make DH a good supper.
    But as Scarlett O'Hara would say, "Tomorrow is another day."

For Friday:

1) Help DH as needed on the kitchen floor
    2) Some household bookkeeping
    3) Library
    4) Catch up on more e-mails
    5) Clean off my desk
    6) Clean bathrooms

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen, you posted right before I did. I hope you sleep much better tonight. Maybe a water bed? pinetree says her new one is wonderful!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Been reading my first ms. It still has potential, I think. It's full of holes but I think I can do something with it. It's going to be a lot of work though. But only fools think writing is an easy way to make a living! I'll see what develops. I have to get to know my characters again so they'll start talking to me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post

I dragged in about 500 manuscript pages to look at. I haven't started yet so I'm not sure what novel it is or what version or if it's partials of more than one. Going through my mss. is going to take forever. I'm going to wear out Husby's new shredder dumping all the excess pages. I have several copies of my first novel because I had so many beta readers and they all wanted to read it at once, and there's no way I'm going to just dump complete manuscripts into recycle.

Going through my how to write books is going to take forever, too, because I think I have to actually read them to know if they're any good or not. All I know for sure is reading how to write books really messed up my writing, so maybe I should donate all of them. That, and writing short fiction because it's hard to switch back and forth. I'm thinking about writing short fiction again but then again, maybe not. I'm very undecided about the whole writing thing at this point. So much has changed since I started writing fiction, I would literally be starting from scratch all over again. All I know is I want to write fiction again. I had so much fun back then playing with all my imaginary friends.

I filled three boxes of books to donate (other than writing books) and ripped up a bunch of my college textbooks to recycle. I probably cleared almost an entire eight foot shelf, all together. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get the top shelf cleared of that bookcase and then start moving the idle AeroGardens out there. That'll help a lot to declutter in the house.
    what genre of fiction do you like to write?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's part of the problem, I haven't made up my mind yet! LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pinetree-I have to take DD to work at 12pm and that goofs things. I had plans for her to make other arrangements but seeing she didnt I'm not free. Dmom often doesnt understand other people have commitments. I am going to try to do vet tomorrow if any openings are still open.
    I am also offended Dmom said I just want to have control. I told her someone should manage things. Dbro won't even go past the waiting room. The next appt. will be goofed because it is on my schedule. So dmom won't make one and wait for me or make it early and goof me because I have 1 hr down and another 1/2 hr. back to the office (I actually drive past it to get her erg,) I would prefer she not take the bus. She misses tons due to lack of focus and hearing then forget 1/2 of what she heard.