2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 123
Page 123 of 271 FirstFirst ... 2373113120121122123124125126133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen, here's a linky I found with a fast and dirty search about how to preserve sunflower seeds. How to Preserve Sunflower Seeds | Garden Guides
    If you want to salt them first, here's another linky. Disclaimer: I haven't tried either of these but they seem pretty straightforward. Roasted In-Shell Sunflower Seeds Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
    I hope you can get them harvested before the critters get them! That's always our problem here, because we get tons of volunteer sunflowers every year thanks to the critters we have that bury them by the ton every year. Sunflowers are one reason I like the drive across North Dakota. It's interesting to watch the heads of them tracking the sun as we drive west and they turn to stay facing the sun as the Earth turns, acres and acres and acres of them at a time. The world is such an amazing place.

I hope you feel better soon.

MADH, I'm sorry to hear your glasses did not work out. I'd have gone back and made them fix it so they did work. I could never get no-line bifocals to work for me. I finally gave up and went back to the lined version. End of problem. I haven't heard of HD glasses, but I'm not surprised to hear glasses are on that marketing bandwagon now. Please get your eyes taken care of before you hurt yourself or someone else driving like that. I was having problems with distance vision and that's why I went in in May. I couldn't see very well and got terrible headaches if I even rode in a car for more than a few minutes. My near vision was bad, too. I figured I just needed new glasses but then Doc said I had cataracts. I wasn't excited about that news but it's turned out great for me. It'll be even greater once insurance quits dragging their feet and pays the dang bills! But I had to get rid of the cataracts regardless of who pays for it, so I just scheduled everything ASAP to get it over with.

Bernice, chubs, in my case, are one-pound rolls of sausages, ground turkey, or other ground meats, the kind in the plastic tube with the staples holding them closed on the ends. A case of them here usually has ten or twelve chubs in the box. I use five or six per batch of dog food. Here, the ten-pound packages are just called tubes.

OM, I didn't get my pickles made either. Gotta get to that soon. I'm only going to make two or three quarts.

FW, sounds like some good deals at the sales. There's a ton of them in town here this weekend, and we're going to ignore them all. The fact the arts fair is clogging up all the streets makes it easier to resist. You can't cram 40,000 people into a town of less than 4,000 without creating some serious inconveniences, even spread out over three days. Hope your husby feels better soon. You too. I'm glad to hear your son will be back in the US in a few months. Hang in there.

ILC, Sugar is okay now, as okay as she'll ever be at her age anyway. I still shudder when I involuntarily recall the sound of her poor little head hitting that concrete, but I think I'm probably more upset about it than she is now. It could have been so much worse and I'm grateful for her recovery, but it was still horrible. Enjoy your visit with your son!

Ayanka, I keep hoping for news that your house purchase is moving forward smoothly, but it sounds like it isn't yet. All I can say is that in our experience selling and buying several properties, it has never gone smoothly, so I think frustration is the normal situation in these things. But I do hope it all ends to your satisfaction and soon. Try not to let it get to you but I know how difficult that is. It'll be worth it in the end when you can finally move into your own cute new place and get out of the place you hate.

Pinetree, since it's Blueberry Fest here this weekend, it's all blueberries all the time at our grocery stores, but nothing for .88! That's a deal. We have lots of wild blueberries here so it's a huge deal, and the park is full of vendors selling all sorts of arts and crafts. I think I read there are 280 vendors this year. It's always a big hit and people come from all over for it. I saw license plates from at least ten different states in the grocery store lot yesterday, and I wasn't even looking for them. We're not huge fans of blueberries ourselves.

Got the dog food made. It's a chore. And of course I'm tripping over dogs the whole time. They love the food Mama makes them. Glad that's done for two or three weeks now.

Also boiled up about 22 eggs, so that takes care of my breakfasts for a few days. We'll use some for snacks and salads, too. Can't wait till prices come down again, but I'm not willing to quit buying them because they're still a reasonable price per pound for high quality protein.

Planted dill and cilantro in pots for the house. I hope I can get those going. I really need the cilantro since dried cilantro is flavorless, fresh cilantro is ridiculously expensive if it's even available, and it doesn't do well for me in the AGs. I use it a lot in recipes when I have it, and hate leaving it out because I like the flavor. The dill does fine in the AGs but I can't get enough of it at once just growing one pod, and it seems like it should be easy enough to grow that I should be able to just do a dirt pot. I need to start up some chives, too. Love chives. I bought a domed planter at GW yesterday, paid too much but I was intrigued, so I'm using that for the cilantro. Fingers crossed on that. Still need to get some AGs going with other herbs, flowers, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, and maybe some other stuff. Otherwise we'll be paying high prices this winter for second rate produce, instead of picking fresh organic home-grown stuff off the vines in our very own kitchen and living room. Need to start up another lettuce garden too, since we decimated the current one picking leaves off to roll up in our wraps. I want to have an indoor, year-round garden here to save some money and have better food, so I need to figure out the best way to do that with limited space. Our only unshaded south-facing windows are in the living room, and while I have plants in about half of those, I'm not willing to block off our lake view we love so much. Once I get back to being in my cabin most days, I should be able to try some stuff out there again, too. Maybe I should put the big AGs out there so Sota can't eat up our harvest, the brat.

We had a long ride out on the lake last night, an hour and a half. Time flies when you're chasing eagles! That should be my new motto. We were out in the lake and noticed this eagle diving, and then it took off because it was being chased by a hawk, several gulls, and a flock of ravens. I'm not sure what it did to tick them all off, but it was amazing to watch the aerial battle. We kept following them and ended up in a bay halfway down the lake. Then I think the eagle took off to go fishing in peace on the lake behind our house because we lost track of him and the other birds went back to their business. It was so interesting. And I have to say yet again, I've been seeing bald eagles for 25 years now and it's a sight I will never take for granted or get used to. It takes my breath away every single time. They are just magnificent and unless you see them up close, you don't realize how huge they are. It was odd too because I was thinking a couple days ago I hadn't seen an eagle lately even with all the time we're spending out on the lake, and then there he was. So we ended up in this bay and Husby amused himself trying to get me to follow him into a bunch of BFRs, which he knows freak me out. He thinks it's hilarious since hardly anything freaks me out, which is why I get to catch all the rodents the cats drag into the house. But I just laid back and waited while he found all the BFRs he wanted, without noticing I wasn't following him anymore. Sucker! Then we headed out of the bay between the shore and a rocky island. I just drafted behind him so he could tear up his prop first. He called me a weenie. He's right. ROFL! But at least my prop is still intact. Luckily neither of us hit anything. But then, as we were discussing the fact we hadn't been seeing loons very much lately, what should appear before our very eyes but a couple of loons? They were upset about something and calling to each other, about fifty feet apart. We don't think they were upset about us because we weren't that close to them at that point. We just kept going, more or less towards on a course to bypass them because we were headed to our dock, and they kept calling to each other as we got closer. We got within about thirty feet of the one before it dove, close enough to see it didn't have the usual distinct black and white coloring. Bingo! I knew right away then who they were, and it was confirmed when I spotted two more loons farther away. It was the family of four we've been watching all summer. They hang out near the islands we were passing by. The gray one was one of the babies, now an adolescent and too inexperienced to know he should dive when something potentially dangerous, like us, is nearby. Eventually he did dive, and so did his parent, who was still ahead of us. But he came up even closer to us. We just sat there watching. We got a good view of him and his parent. They would both dive, then both come up and start calling to each other, then dive again. I'd say we got within about twenty feet of them both. By that time, the other two had gotten closer and joined in the calling. Eventually we were more or less surrounded by screaming loons. Those things are really LOUD when you're that close! They were really upset and kept diving and calling. I guess they really are birdbrains because we didn't try to get to them and would have passed them fifty feet or more away, farther than that from the second pair, but they kept coming up closer and closer to us. It was all their own fault! But what a fun experience, for us if not them. Eventually we just rode past them and went home, and they stopped calling to each other. We were almost to our dock when we saw 'our' loon, the one that hangs around our cove. We used to have a pair but we think one of them died because we've only seen the one this year. Usually he ignores us and keeps fishing. We don't try to approach him because we don't usually harass the wildlife, and I think he knows we're no threat to him. He's never once called when we're nearby. But last night he dove and we couldn't find him again. We were happy to see him though and know he's doing okay though, because we hadn't seen him for a few days. It was a great ride. And to think, we almost didn't go because it was hot and windy.

Husby and I were discussing while we rode last night and concluded the HydroBikes are one of the best items we've ever bought, and the best since the last camper. We're so happy we love them, since we have a bad track record buying things we think we'll love that we find out we don't, and then don't use them. They were expensive but worth every penny for the fun factor but also the great exercise we're getting and the added enjoyment of our dock and our property in general. And the timing was great, too, getting them just as Sugar can't travel anymore. Having the bikes keeps us from missing camping so much. We're feeling so lucky!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful summer day!

MA$H - Glad to see you! I remember you getting me motivated to spring clean my house one year. I have never systematically cleaned everything in every room in my house until you started that thread. I probably never will again though! You have quite the list going...........overachiever!!

hikr - since you are not here, I'm assuming your having a fabulous time with your family on the water. Hope your enjoying every minute.

Jen - my dogs scratch and tear the bottom of their molding bed too. I got so sick of repairing it, I stuck an old pillow on top. Fit perfectly.

Ayanka - hang in there

om - hope your leg is doing better

pinetree - I always believe that there is a reason for things happening. Your surgery being put off until October is just one of those. Time flies and before you know it, it will be October. Every day until then you will just be getting stronger.

fw - is Egypt a for sure thing? I have been praying for you and your son. Happy Anniversary!

SD - glad to hear that your eye doctor had good news for you.

Bernice - don't worry about what you can't do, just focus on the little things that you can do. Give your self a mental pat for whatever you can accomplish!

ilc - nice to hear that your son is coming home today. Enjoy your visit!

Took Bomba to the groomers today and got a few things done around here. Cadbury is at least eating better and I've been spoiling him by hand feeding him his greens every night. I better be careful what I'm starting! When DH got home he wanted to burn the pile in our fire pit because we have some dead bushes that needed to go in there too so we had a fire. It's hot outside so having a fire was not ideal but it's done now. I was just worried because now we have that coroplast up and I don't want to have the huge fires we used to have and burn holes in the corolplast.

Saturday
    1 - run errands in town, Kroger/Bank/Dollar Store/Farm and Home
    2 - dailies
    3 - give dogs a bath
    4 - pay bills
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad your bunny seems a little better, Rabbit. Poor little lonesome guy. It's worth the time if you have to hand feed him. I'm sure he's happy for your company.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning hope all is well

My meds are not working and I feel awful. I have an appointment on Wednesday. I am edgy, crying, not taking care of my self at all. This has been 2 weeks now.
    Plus my thigh hurts so bad .
    Still getting some exercise and drinking water
    took a 3 hour nap yesterday
    my friend was supposed to come get me... well her brakes went out...

Paige is taking belly pictures today her friend is taking them for her..she also brought her 4 boxes of baby stuff. She just got the last stuff put away.

No work until next week. So 2 weeks no money.
    my manual can opener broke my coffee pot is not working right..
    just one little thing after another...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know if anything I am going to get accomplished today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OM-then leave it. Some days you just have to walk on.

Yes,Egypt is for sure and prob w/in the week. Did a little bawling and prayin' last night.

Off to Port Huron after I shower. DD will stay all day after she gets back from the bank. I want to hit the nice restaurant but I am wondering if the clothes I am wearing will be sufficient. It is hot and shorts are called for.

Sd-I would love to chase eagles. I have seen 2 here over 20 years. I think they strayed from the bird sanctuary about 60 miles north.
    We are avoiding a few areas today. We just missed the Ann Arbor Art Fair-so whaaugh. and the Quake on the Lake was last week. Boo to the hoo.
    Hope to hit a good produce stand when I am over in Port Huron because we are lacking as it gets moe developed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If your referring to Freighters restaurant, I think shorts will be fine. I've seen people leaving there with very casual clothes on. That's what I'd wear! Have fun today and enjoy yourselves.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

morning everyone

Fw, Have a good time and a wonderful dinner. Still sending up prayers for your son.

OM,just take it easy until you can get to the Dr. things will still be there tomorrow. I know how frustrating it is, but save your energy until you feel better. or just do what you have to. hugs

RABBIT, I bet your little bunny is happy you are spending alittle extra time with him.. and yes, you are spoiling him rotton, but he deserves it! Thanks about the surgery.. it seems its always something...

Ayanka, enjoy your time with your friend

Jen, hope you are feeling great today!

Bernice, hope you are doing better too.

Hikr00, thinking about you having fun!

SD, Thanks for the bike ride, man it almost feels like I am there!! Take it easy, you sure have been doing it alot lately! Guess I'll pick up more blueberries, and freeze them, I was kinda waiting for them to maybe get a little cheaper..lol

ilc, Enjoy your weekend with your son!

MADH, lol, was looking at another post and some one put MA$H, lol, maybe it was RABBIT, took me forever to figure that one out!! LOL

Niko, thinking about you

Hi to anyone I forgot.

Didn't get to much done yesterday, got a phone call from my step MIL, we talked for along time, It was so good to hear from her. She misses Dad so much, and is all by herself in that little town, but she wont leave and loves it. God Bless her.

I quit my new statins, its only been over a week, My muscles are hurting so bad again, and my legs have turned into rubber.. I dont know why I have so much trouble with them, the DR isnt going to be happy, but a person cant live with pain like this.

We are working all weekend, trying to get this big job out. DH bought a new machine, was suppose to make everything faster, well it wont work on our material, so it set us back even further, and have to send the machine back..ugh..

list
    work
    dust hutch
    bake a cake

have a great day!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not doing much of anything feel like a slug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, thanks it really helps to get some encouragement.

Ta dones for today: post pictures of the couches I want to get rid of on a second hand site. I need to get rid of them, no matter if I stay here or move. They are items that are really hard to move, can't get to the first floor or the house i bought for sure, and might not make it to the ground floor either. Even if I stay here I will be glad to see them go, so I can buy some furniture I can actually move around. Even if it means more empty spaces, for my mental health and the feeling that I have control it is important to get this done. Now I just hope I can find a kind soul to relieve me from them. Otherwise it will be the saw and I am affraid its oak...
    Did the laundry today, still need to hang some things tomorrow (not enough space) and do the ironing.
    Went grocery shopping, again I know, but the one store had great sales. As I amn't going anywhere for now, I might just as well keep the freeze/pantry full.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yesterday I touched every single piece of paper in my big pile, paid bills, took action on most items. All disability stuff is in one folder finally. everything fits in one basket and I'll purge it hopefully more regularly from now on. There are things important enough to stick in my important papers drawer but will wait a few weeks in case they are needed. I know I requested and received a copy of my health plan documents and I saw my employee exit interview in my pile. But when I looked that stuff wasn't there, so I am re-asking for plan documents- I need tests and possible 3 day hospitalization that my hospital doesn't do, going out of network is crazy expensive so it may be time to sit down with a NYS healthcare marketplace person and see if they have any cheaper but more thorough plans. I'll look again for that survey, I want it known I was happy there so maybe someday they'll take me back. Also, cannot find vet vaccination papers, I know they were in that pile. Ugh, one pile does not work if you wait months to purge it.

but I finally semi-accomplished something! DD is here Sun and Mon as her dad is out of town. I need to do laundry and tidy my room before she comes, I do not want her to think I just suddenly stopped doing anything even though that's the truth. Her way of coping with this mess has not been good, she acts very angry at me and we've lost our closeness. We went to her therapist together, it was ok but she feels strongly while my mom and I are sick, this is too stressful to watch and she hates burdening my dad for rides. She's incredibly driven, going into junior yr, a big year, serious violinist, multiple volunteering gigs, part time job, lots of clubs and takes harder classes. So if being with her dad, who can do all the things I cannot, I am trying very hard to appear accepting of that. But that leaves very little time in her schedule to see me. And that deeply sucks. We planned all the colleges we would tour and now all the good stuff gets done by dad. Oh well, let it go and focus on what we can do, but her angry presentation is not making this easy. Kids, ugh.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OM and Pinetree, I hope your docs can get your meds straightened out. Husby has had a lot of pain with his BP meds too. Doc never could figure it out even after trying several kinds. Husby just puts up with it now because there doesn't seem to be any solution.

FW, we have millions of acres of great eagle habitat here, so it's not at all unusual to see one. It's more unusual not to see them. I still miss the dead tree at the end of our driveway. For years we had an eagle that would sit up there at the top of the tree to fish. We're pretty sure he's the culprit who dropped a dead fish down by our mailbox. But then lightning hit that tree and blew the top off of it, and we haven't seen an eagle in it since. At any rate, it was nice to see one even if he was being chased.

Pinetree, thank you for the compliments about my writing. I've heard that a lot of the years, that people can picture what I write about. I'm lucky that way. What kind of work are you doing with what kind of machines? I'm intrigued. I think you've said in the past so forgive my bad memory.

Ayanka, I hope your furniture sells quickly. We have a pool table we want to get rid of and it's been impossible. I just want it out of here. We're willing to just give it away and still can't get rid of it.

Husby took a hard fall on the dock today after our ride, so he's not feeling so great. I think it's just a bad bruise on his hip. He doesn't know what happened, and I didn't really see it either. He thinks his shoes were slippery but our dock has some kind of non-skid surface on it that nothing slides on, so I don't know. I think he probably just stepped off the edge, not paying attention. At least I didn't have to fish him out of the lake. And luckily the truck was down there so he didn't have to walk up our hill or wait for me to go get the truck.

Ta-done! I'm so happy. The lake level has been dropping like usual in the summer, and it's been getting harder and harder for both of us to drag our bikes up out of the water, especially since there's now a vertical wall of rocks about a foot high to drag them over, which isn't good for the bikes either. I've mentioned before I wanted to make some kind of boat rollers for them, and today was the day. It only took us about an hour and a half to build them, and then we loaded them on the truck and took them down. We set them in the lake and they looked like they'd work okay, but then we had to figure out how to anchor them so the waves don't suck them out into the lake and make them into a hazard for boats. Anchoring them to the shore isn't as easy as you might think. There's a lot to consider, not to mention the shore is so rocky that driving posts and stuff in is sometimes impossible. But eventually we figured out a better solution than the chains I had been thinking about. They work pretty well. They do need to be tweaked just a little bit, basically the height needs to be adjusted on one side of one of them, and we need to do something about the ropes on our bikes. We're currently using some nylon rope that was just laying around the garage last fall, and it's been fine just to tie up to the dock or pull the bikes around while they're in the water, but having to haul them up with those ropes really hurts. So I need to figure out what I can do about that. The temptation is to buy new rope but I have some other ideas. Other than that, the boat rollers are, overall, a success. It should be a much easier to haul the bikes out and it'll be good not to have them scraping across the rocks anymore, too. I'm not sure how the materials they're made from will hold up, but at least the prototype works so I learned that much.

I also whipped up another boat hook. Sometimes the ten-footer I made before is just too much, so I made a six-footer. It took ten whole minutes this time because the PVC I needed wasn't in the first stack I looked in. Husby was admiring the first one earlier today and saying how handy it is. He didn't see the point of it when I first made it, but it sure makes things easier and safer when we need to shove the bikes around. It looks funny but it sure works great.

Did some writing today for my publisher, so that'll be more money in my pocket for an hour's work. Love that.

Got the bikes all oiled up and oiled the padlocks, too. They had been getting hard to close. Now everything works like new.

Prevent sent me a rubber bracelet and I just love it. It says Flip Me Over on one side, and Victory! on the other. The concept is that I commit to do one thing for seven days straight, something I will do once a day, that will help me reach my weight loss goals. I start out with the Flip Me Over side out, and when I've accomplished my one item for the day, I then flip the bracelet to Victory! to remind myself I've done something important for myself that day. I've decided to start using my whole-day bento box that I used to use all the time. I will put all my food for the day into it each morning, and once my food is gone, I'm done for the day. I'm just about to hit a weight goal I've been trying to get back to for five years, so getting this little reminder bracelet from Prevent is perfect timing to help me get to that goal and beyond it. I sure hope I can lose another twenty pounds yet this year. That would bring me down forty and a half pounds and get me about halfway to goal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I'm not going to be able to do anything for a few weeks. My foot is broken. I have no idea how I managed it, but there is a chip of bone floating around on top of my foot. On the x-ray, it looks like it came off the front of my ankle joint. So I have to go to an Orthopedist ASAP. At least I know why I am having so much pain.

So I'll be around, but no lists until I get a handle on what I can and can't do. This is really bad timing, too...tomorrow is my 34th wedding anniversary, and we are not going to be able to do anything much.

Have a great weekend, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, Jen, I'm so sorry! Take it easy, and stay off that poor foot!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Poor jen.. stay off of it.... hugs