2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 142
Page 142 of 271 FirstFirst ... 4292132139140141142143144145152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,116 to 2,130 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never add salt to any baked goods, so no special recipes needed. I have yet to see any difference in making that kind of stuff with or without salt.

FW, we're un-nesting, too. We're giving serious thought to not buying another house, once the time comes to move off this place. Mom's townhouse is so nice and it's in a senior (over 55) complex so it's quiet, and of course it has the woods around it and all. Really a nice place. We could appreciate someplace like that, but it's small. We'd really have to get rid of stuff to fit into a place like that. Might as well start now. It'll be easier to do it gradually than have to let it all go at once. Same with the pets.

Pen, you can visit anytime! Husby will eat your share of the pie.

I looked up the Santa Hustle online and it seems interesting. I'll talk to Husby about it. The problem here is the weather. November is very unpredictable here. It could be fifty degrees every day with no snow, or we could have three feet on the ground by then. We just never know. I wonder if Husby could get a group interested in it at work. We could all walk in the park in town.

The dirt guy stopped by this AM. Of course he did. This whole summer has been like this. The plan for this week was to get the house ready for visitors, and maybe have the people come to get the pool table. But now we'll have to put everything on hold and shuffle trailers and greenhouse framing around the yard so it's out of the way of heavy equipment, and get the gutters on the garage. The whole summer, events have conspired to throw every dang plan we make out the window. But we're sure not going to tell the dirt guy he can't come! Not with our driveway in the condition it is. And we can't ignore the gutters either, not when we've had two storms in the past week, each of which dumped over two inches of rain within about an hour. All it would take is another storm like that and the driveway would have major damage again, without the gutters on the garage to redirect the run-off. So the gutters have to get done before the driveway.

Should be a busy week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good Monday morning, everyone!

om, sometimes friendships are so draining that it's best to let them go. I know you feel bad for her but it sounds as though she's a mess and you can't fix her unless she wants to be fixed. You have enough on you right now.

fw, sorry, I misread your post. Well, volunteering is great too! There's a kitty rescue I want to volunteer at but so far all I've done is give money. The last time we went in DH just about fell in love with several kitties and I would want them all, and right now we just can't take in any more. We have 5 cats and 2 big dogs and also 2 kids still in college so our money is limited.

SD, where you live sounds really great. Lakes, beaches, etc. We have good stuff around here too but our weather is so miserable for so many months of the year that outside activities just aren't feasible for me.

hikr, good to see you again.

Jen, hope you make lots of progress with the canning.

pinetree, around here if you say "barbeque" it means pork. If you want anything other than pork barbeque you have to specify chicken. As to beef, well, I don't know of any places around here that serve it. Probably some places do, but I'm not familiar with them.

When we got married I had 3 cats. I told him when we got engaged that the cats came with me. He has claimed that I promised him that we wouldn't have any more when those 3 died. Now, I wasn't so eager to marry that I would lie, and I certainly wouldn't lie about never having cats again, so I really believe he must have dreamed that. It just isn't the kind of thing I would ever say. Anyway, we did go through about a three month period where we had no cats, but it wasn't that I didn't want any more---I had just lost my 22-year-old Maggie and I honestly was emotionally wiped out. When we did start with cats again he didn't complain, so I don't know why he now brings it up....I mean, at one time we had 8 cats, 2 dogs, a parakeet, and a turtle, and he didn't complain then...so I think he brings it up just to irritate me. I just tell him he's thinking of some other woman.

Still didn't get my bathrooms cleaned.

For Monday:

1) Get DD's prescriptions and go to library DONE
    2) Clean those bathrooms
    3) Work in pantry
    4) Clean up area around my chair/desk
    5) Do some baking---banana muffins, something for dessert
    6) Do some scrubbing on the floor

Have a good day, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD I never add salt to baked goods either, I haven't for years. It's the hidden salt that gets me...the sodium in the eggs, vanilla, baking powder etc. Darn stuff tastes so good but so not good for you (in the amounts I want to eat. LOL!) And I love new recipes. I could happily spend hours surfing the net for recipes. Although I more or less use them as a jumping off point and I tend to redo them to be more specific to what we like. It's rare that I follow a recipe 100%.

The Santa Hustle gives you a month to do it in. We've got the same thing with weather here so I'm going to try for it the first weekend they run it just because November will typically be warmer than December for us. But at least by having the month we can find a day when it's not snowing or raining. But yeah, it's going to be chilly. I do have some insulated pants that I wear when I walk outside in the cold. I did a Turkey Trot a few years ago and it was 28 degrees that morning. I trotted my little heart out and the only thing that got cold on me was my hands. I had gloves on and my hands would get hot then cold so I was forever taking them on and off. I might wear mittens next time to see if that keeps my fingers warmer in between when they get too hot to wear. Then I came home and cooked Thanksgiving dinner. And after clean up I collapsed on the couch

ILC I will never be without a cat (unless I'm grieving for one that passed as you mentioned). Now I can go without a dog but not a cat. I miss our dog and I miss her companionship but if I had to pick one or the other I'd take the cat. We are still going back and forth on getting another dog once we move. The longer she's been gone the more we realize how much we like being able to come and go without worrying about getting back in a short time in case she needs to go out. Plus she was so big (Great Dane) that taking her places was difficult. People tended to freak at her size and she was as gentle as a lamb. If we do get another one it will be much smaller and easier to transport. But I do miss her companionship and that's what I'd get another dog for but I'm just not ready yet and not sure when / if I will be.

We had four cats for a few years and that was a bit much. LOL! We agreed two was best for us (although we didn't "thin the herd" or anything like that. We kept all four and they've gradually all passed away but one). So we just have the one cat currently.

Speaking of cats I just realized it's Monday and trash day is tomorrow so I need to go tend to the litter box so we can run the trash out tonight.

Oh I saw on Facebook that our favorite little farm has their red potatoes ready on their farm stand. They usually bring a truck around to various locations and we buy them there but they are just doing the farm stand till later in the season when they have their big harvest. I'm so excited as they have the best red potatoes. You wouldn't think there's a taste difference from one red potato to another but we feel there is. This farm stand is open 24/7 and it's all self service so I told DH we need a little road trip today or tomorrow to get some potatoes. I've missed theirs. We get the ones from the grocery store and they are OK but once the farm ones are ready to focus on those.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good afternoon, yep, slept in again!!

OM, How do you do your hashbrowns? I have boiled them, Ok, us ladies need your recipe!! Please! Hope your DH is feeling better, he will love your cooking on your new stove! Let your friend go, you will find one that is more of a friend to you than her, yes it will hurt, but ask the good Lord for another one. Hugs

FW, I am So SOrry! I heard blueberry pie and went into a complete fantasy, eating that blueberry pie, I didnt even think it was for SD, Talk about selfish!! ANd yes, I will need one too, but I promise I will share!

Hikr00, Have fun on your walk run adventure, sounds like a good time. Thanks for the recipe!

SD, It really makes a big difference on what you have, as to how much salt. you have your fitbit, track your salt for a week or so, to see what you are eating and maybe why your weight goes up and down. Most people should have 2500mg a day, mine is 2000mg a day.. its really hard staying there. I wanted some take out so got online to see if I could have it, the salt in it was 2700, over a total days worth. Even an orange has salt. eggs are what gets me, I think its 70mg per egg.

What surprises me is people with high blood pressure usually dont watch their salt, my Mom had high blood pressure and couldnt eat pickles, black licorice, cheeses, saurkraut.. DH is on high bllod pressure pills and they never said a word to him about salt.

Jen, The jellies sound good! I have been thinking about strawerry, maybe raspberry, oh yum, sweet cherry....

Ayanka, Did you get the floor done? Hope you arent working too hard!

ILC, nope here bbq is pretty much anything you want, smoking here is getting to be really big, we bbq alot of hamburger, ribs, alot of steak. OH man, making myself hungry. The kids have been smoking corn on the cob, oh, its to die for, they use a lime, butter, oh I dont know, but its wonderful. They have made all kinds of rubs and sauces with no salt, and are having a blast with it. I'm not saying anything, they use me as a test person, lol, They have alot of recipies on their website, which I cant remember now, will gett it for you.

Hi, Sally, Bernice, Niko and anyone else I forgot. The brain isnt working again today.

When DH and I got married , he said he was allergic to cats, What?? Not my problem! I told him I would never get rid of my baby, at the time I think was 10yrs old. When she passed I could only make it until the next afternoon, it was so strange Not having a cat, we went and got 3. one for each of us, the last one of those passed last year, she was almost 19. I am down to 3 in the house and 4 outside, well maybe 5, have a new one show up, not sure if hes in love with sasha, of another dumped one. I dont know what I will do when these are gone. Anyway he starts sneezing, or runny nose, I look at him and say, "sorry they were here first", he just laughs and walks off. he loves them as much as I do.

I am kinda excited, I ordered a cal king comforter from amazon for $30, also got some salt free baking powder, need to find soda next. I am finding alot of these have potassium in them and I cant have that either. Alot of the salt substitutes are all potassium. Anyway, found winter gloves, a hat, scarf for $1.95 each and 2 runner rugs for the back porch for $2.27!

Dh called the bank, we got a notice we owe a bunch of money from a shortage in escrow? What the heck? We have only made 1 payment on the refi, on both houses, and both houses, have a big shortage, come to find out an hour after them arguing, they didnt transfer the old escrows over to the new one.. Huh, bet they thought they were going to pocket that money, glad its fixed. Yea, something Good happened today!!!!

I got the entire countertops back yesterday, we put the dehydrater away, its been there since I got it, cleaned everything , and the kitchen looks huge!! Also got another cabinet cleaned out. Made a dump peach cobbler, not sure about the cobbler topping but the peaches are wonderful.Have alot of pulled pork left so thinking about making tamales.

OMG, I forgot RABBIT!! HEY, RABBIT, YOU WHOOO..

today
    find something for dinner
    spot clean kitchen rugs
    clean top of stove and drip pans

I hope something good happens to you today!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For today:
    --Help my son get all of his things ready for the first day of school tomorrow (starting middle school!)
    --Make a batch of tomato sauce (tomatoes have been sitting for a while and need to get used)
    --Pull together some more books for my purge pile

On a side note: I made some Dansom plum jam this weekend. I had a bag full from my CSA and googled a recipe. I didn't think it was going to set, but to my surprise, it did. I was so pleased--I don't have a lot of experience with making jams/jellies. Anyway, I used some to sweeten some plain yogurt this afternoon and it was perfect. I'm sure it's as much pride in my work as actual taste, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hash browns
    Cook potaters until half Done
    Let cool over night in fridge
    Grate the next day with onion
    Freeze...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know my weight fluctuates due to salt. But I weigh every day and some fluctuation is normal. If it goes up a couple pounds overnight I don't worry about it and just drink more water. Lately I'm not losing because I haven't been tracking like I should be. That's key for me and I wish I didn't hate it so much.

I know about the hidden salt in the ingredients in baked goods, too. That sucks. Vanilla doesn't really have sodium. Neither does yeast or flour. Baking soda and powder seem to be the worst offenders.

I've done a pretty good job of cutting out a high percentage of processed foods but the last big challenge for me is processed meats. We rely on those too much but I can't come up with good alternatives. Anyone have suggestions? What can we eat in wraps and sandwiches that is quick and easy to grab, but low fat, low cal, and lower in salt than ham or other deli meats? We do pretty well avoiding the high fat stuff like summer sausage, but get a big fat fail when it comes to avoiding salt, and worse yet, nitrates. We're working our way through the sandwich meats we have in the freezer and I'd like to find alternatives so we quit buying them. I haven't had good luck using stuff like turkey or other meats because they get so dry, and then we add mayo which defeats the purpose.

I think people ignore the salt warnings because it's just too darn hard to follow the guidelines, even if you don't eat a lot of processed commercially prepared foods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome, Sweetz! Great job on the plum jam! yum...

OM, thanks for the "brown" recipe, going to do it tomorrow!!

SD, Sorry, I try to convert everyone to my diet. If I gain over 2 lbs in a day I have to go in right away, to see what is going on..

My DS came up with my lunch meat problem, I love processed meats! Now he smokes extra, chicken, beef, roasts, pork,, he has a meat slicer, we slice it really thin, oh, my it is So good. now I just pull it out of the freezer. I have found I can use avacado instead of mayo, of yum, on a chicken and tomato sandwich!! My Mom use to put it thru a meat grinder, mix with, mayo, pickle relish, whatever you want, and it was really good, maybe a food processer would work too.

I bought a mess of avacados last week, found a recipe to freeze it in ice cube trays, then I can just pull one out when I want for a sandwich or something.

Having fish and zucchini for dinner.

We are having the storms again today, so you guys will probably be getting more storms, not sure whiuch way they are going..

You guys are all into animals, I have posted this site a couple tiimes, I have been doing it for years, but all you do is click on a banner every day.. each click gives 1 bowl of food to rescues.. its free, but alot of people are doing it and its feeding alot of animals,, google theanimalrescuesite.com and sign up and help feed the furbabies...I try to give 365 bowls a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was already to say "don't use salt substitutes because of potassium" and you already had it, girl! Ironically, I used to love salt, my BP was always low so i would try to cut back here and there but being fat was a bigger concern, lol. Now, I have to take salt tablets and try to eat as much of it as I can to bring up my BP. Old me would've been thrilled, now it tastes different and I don't crave it like I used to. So weird!

I had another day of being out cold. I heard nothing and my door was wide open. So I think maybe I should see what a day brings and then make my plan because I hate making a plan and then be in coma all day accomplishing nothing. I just came to and could go right back for the night. I have to remember to tell neuro this. oh well, nothing pressing I don't think has to be done today, so push forward.

my ex-husband said, "I'm a cat person, I hate dogs." I'm very, very allergic to cats, asthma, etc., I could never have one. And I am a dog person and cannot even imagine a life without one, would never have a life without one. I told him I didn't think this would work, nice knowing you. He back tracked. I was working 3-11 living in apt with a friend that did not allow pets. So my parents had my dog, who they had had while I was in college so they didn't mind. Ex worked days, all of a sudden, he started going to my parents and walking my dog and they became fast friends. Lesson of the story? they may change their mind on dogs but they may not be the person you thought they were, so stick to DOGS, men are harder to train

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    You guys are all into animals, I have posted this site a couple tiimes, I have been doing it for years, but all you do is click on a banner every day.. each click gives 1 bowl of food to rescues.. its free, but alot of people are doing it and its feeding alot of animals,, google theanimalrescuesite.com and sign up and help feed the furbabies...I try to give 365 bowls a year.
    do you happen to have the link?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link to the animal rescue site Pinetree. I hope the recipe is good..you never know sometimes. LOL!! You might want to calculate the sodium in your ingredients in case yours are different from the authors. His flour has sodium (the whole wheat best for bread flour) and my regular old Gold Medal doesn't have any sodium so you could maybe get the total sodium lower. The sodium free baking powder would be great here I'd think! His baking powder has 3.375 in 3/4 of a tsp. That's not much baking powder for that many mg of sodium. As SD said the vanilla in most cases is zero but in his case his had .567 mg so you'll have to check your stuff out. Technically under 1 you might not even want to bother to count but I know you have to be really careful and stay within the limits so you may want to count it even if it's that low. I am only watching my sodium because of a family history of heart disease and I'd rather get a handle on it now then to have the doc say in the future that I HAVE to restrict it in order to survive. Or the worst case scenario is I develop massive heart disease. I don't want to go down that road if at all possible so that's why I'm getting it in check. You know I'm one of those people with the high BP that never watched my sodium. They did tell me to watch my salt but didn't give me any numbers to stick with so I didn't really pay much attention to it. They gave me meds. This was 20 years ago and it's taken me this long to finally light a fire under my fanny to start keeping track. My limit is 2300....my doc said if I can get it lower it's even better but he can live with me at 2300. PM me the recipes your kids use for the sauces or their website etc. I'd love to see them! I love the Sweet Baby Ray's sauce but it's not pretty on the sodium. I measure it out vs just tossing it on the meat but if I could find a low sodium sub that would be awesome. I lost a good amount of weight in 2013 and BP dropped to normal and they took me off meds. So I gained most of the weight back and went back on the meds. <gong> You're doing it wrong hikr! So I'm back at it losing the weight and hoping I can get off the meds again (and stay off!), My BP is good on the meds but creeps up when I'm off and overweight.

OM thanks for the hash brown recipe!! Do you freeze them on a cookie sheet first so they don't all clump together or do they stay kind of separate when you freeze them just pouring them in bag? I like being able to take out a serving at a time etc so I'm wondering which way would be best to freeze them.

SD I love the processed meats too. We've purchased turkey breasts before and cooked them and shaved the meat off and that works but I've been having a really hard time finding salt free birds! They all have salt as a preservative. I may need to find a local farm or something with free range birds and see if they have fresh with no preservatives I can take home, roast then cut the meat off and avoid the salt preserving. I did find Dietz and Watson makes a no salt added turkey breast at my store deli. It's ok, not amazing like the salt laden ones but it will do. I've been thinking I may start trying the dehydrated peanut butter that is just peanuts. You rehydrate it with water and spread it on your sandwich. I like peanut butter. The one I have now is PB2 and while it's good it does have sodium in it. I think the jams / jellies are low sodium or no sodium but I need to check. What I really want is a fat grilled ham and cheese sandwich. NOT happening. Sigh.

Sweetz4me the jam sounds good! Hope your son has a good first day tomorrow!

We made it to the little farm and got 10 lbs of potatoes. And we had roasted potatoes with our dinner. Ahh...fall is coming

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2/3 today. Completely spaced on the phone call to the doc, so I'll do that tomorrow morning. (I put a reminder note on the bathroom mirror) The talk about cats and dogs is so comforting to me, I always thought we were strange...we have 5 cats and 2 dogs...and a parrot. 4 cats and 1 dog were rescues, the big dog was a farm dog's puppy, and the big cat was from a friend. The parrot was also a rescue.
    Well, the red jams are done so I'm on to the purple. Can't wait until it's all done. (we don't actually eat that much jam, I give it for Christmas gifts)

OM, I always shred my potatoes before I cook them...I tend to overcook whole potatoes and then when I try to shred them, I get mashed potatoes. It's also a lot quicker to cook them as shreds. I just blanch for 2 minutes and they are ready to dehydrate...I never tried freezing them, but I'll bet my husband would love it.

Tomorrow:

1. Big grocery shop at the stock up store.
    2. Put away groceries.
    3. Make some hot sauce.(If I have the energy)

Have a fantastic day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen Thanks for the potato idea, I can grate with the food processer then cook them, how easy!!
    Looks like we are all animal crazy! I thought I was crazy having 10 cats!!
    I love purple jams and jellies!

Bernice click on where it says the animal rescue sight and it will take you there,, I am So computer savvy, I had no idea that would work!! lol

I have low blood pressure, and use to take salt tablets especially in the summer, thats why I am having to much trouble with these ones I am on. I only take 1/2 a tablet, but some days its just too much, and Dr Cardio, says I have to stay on them...Let me know about your sleeping, I have been doing that alot lately too!

Hikroo, I found a fruit spread, no sugar. 5mg salt at king soopers, its Simple Truth organic, four fruit, I love it! I dont use bread much so I take my PB and mix it with my jam and just eat it with a spoon,,um, fresh peanut butter? Let me know.. also found the simple truth potatoes have less salt than like oridas frozen.
    Those red potatoes sound wonderful;, you are so lucky to get fresh ones!

I'll see if they will give me their recipe, they kinda are keeping it from me, they are SO proud they can make it, and they will make it whenever I want! And they DO! lol
    I'm kinda stuck on a bottle a friend sent me, it is SO good, I tend to use it first, but have to watch the salt.. so it might take awhile...

I need to find jams I can make without sugar, oh well till I do , i will just eat the fruit,,,

I need to fix dinner, have a wonderful night!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

wow. So behind for just today!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The salt solution in meats these days isn't for preserving, it's to retain fluid in the meat so it stays moist and doesn't dry out as it cooks. I quit buying those bags of frozen chicken breasts because of the salt solution. It ticked me off they add salt water, and then I was paying a lot of cheap salt water that they said on the package could be up to a third of the weight. I usually just buy fresh breasts from the meat counter now and make sure it's labeled without added water or whatever they say.

Are those meat slicers a pain to wash, Pinetree? I've thought about getting one for a long time but I'm not sure we'd use it to do a lot of meat at a time. If it's going to take me all day to wash the thing, it probably wouldn't get used. I'd love to be able to thin-slice meats and cheese at home though.

I do need to learn to use the smoker. How hard can it be, after all? And I have a ton of books and have had friends demo how to do it, too. I have one of those bullet smokers which doesn't seem to be the best kind and I don't like it very much, so maybe that's the problem. I also have one of these for the stovetop though, so maybe I could make small batches and learn on that. https://www.nordicware.com/store/pro...r#.VclHcPl50v4 Or I could learn to smoke on one of our Cobb grills. I guess I don't have any excuse not to learn. Whatever, I do need to learn to smoke stuff. It's on my to-do list. Someday...