2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 143
Page 143 of 271 FirstFirst ... 4393133140141142143144145146153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

pinetree-I am afraid its true you are blueberry selfish. Haha.
    You got my thinking about my Ddad and his fav. cherry pie place.
    We always went to "The Cherry Pie Hut" in Beuhla,mi. (said Bew-la) As a kid I loved the red red paper menus we got. We always sat outside so we could use our loud voices and not to disturb the diners. Trust me-I wasn't a loud kid most of the time. I should prob. do an omage to Ddad for the 2nd anniv. of his passing this Sept.
    So good for a peek Cherryhutstore.com and they have been in business since 1922.

So we walked around 1 campsite circle at the park before the bugs came out. The downhill was great,the uphill other side no so much. The rains are coming in so we drove back after going out on the dock at the boat launch.

catch you all tomorrow. hugs!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please forgive me for taking such a long time to answer. I had a bad day yesterday, probably overdid it a little last week. But hey it had to be done, and it means that I can take it more easy for the rest of the month.

Pinetree: yes the floor is done and I am generally feeling better. Not worrying about my health and the house means I have a lot more time/en energy for other things, which in turn give me energy because I have done something positive.

SD: bicarbonate is a main ingredient of baking powder with as structure NaHCO3, the Na being sodium of course, so yes there is a lot of sodium in it . (sorry couldn't keep my inner chemical geek from doing it)

Well for yesterday I didn't do a lot, needed the break. Not sure what I am going to do today either. Ah well, I ll try to report back later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today is our annual family visit to Boothbay Harbor. We've done this since DD was little and now we want it to continue with her kids. We ride the trolley into town. We always get salt water taffy at the place where you watch them make it, then get ice cream down the road, walk out onto the pedestrian bridge and just poke around town. It's a little touristy town on the water. Very quaint and pretty. Riding the trolley is my favorite part. LOL! I love the open windows and people watching (that doesn't sound stalkerish right? HAHA). I sometimes forget just how beautiful our state is and seeing it through a tourists eyes makes me realize all over again how great it is here.

Yesterday we took a ride to our fave little farm and got some new red potatoes. This place grows the best red potatoes. They have a farm stand that is open 24/7. It's a small wooden building with bags of potatoes stacked up, price tacked on the wall and a lock box you put your money in. You put down on clipboard what you bought and you're done. Total honor system. Again, this is why I love Maine. We bought ten lbs. Now to decide what to do with them. I'm thinking of OMs hash browns!

Ayanka so glad the floor is done. Nice to get that job out of the way.

FW my Dad loves cherry pie. For Christmas every year my sister makes him one for part of his gift.

Jen our greyhound was a rescue. She was just the sweetest dog.

Hi ILC, Rabbit, Niko, Bernice, Sally, Sweetz4Me and anyone I missed! The kiddos are coming down the driveway so I'm off to play tourist in my own state Have a great day!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There's another good animal site that contributes free litter and kibble: Freekibble There's a dog tab, a cat tab, and a litter tab. I usually do all 3---only takes a minute. Plus the site that pinetree mentioned.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an at-home blood pressure monitor? I'm supposed to be checking mine daily per the cardiologist, and I keep putting off getting one...I think it's a case of denial that I actually have a cardiologist now.

It's the dog days of summer and all I want to do is lie around and be a lazy lady. Yesterday was another bust except for reading. I did get a bit of floor scrubbed. Today I'm trying borax as the cleaning agent. So far I've used baking soda on one section and dishwasher detergent on another. Any recommendations on that? Actually the scrubbing seems to be doing the trick rather than the cleaner. We bought a bunch of little brushes at Harbor Freight and I use those. It's just brown dirt that is coming up--really embarrassing that I've let it go this long. But some progress is being made, and it's a project I've wanted to do, so now that it's started I know I'll continue it. Getting started is always the hardest part for me.

For Tuesday:

1) Load and run dishwasher DONE
    2) Quick reset downstairs
    3) Go through a kitchen cabinet that has become disturbingly crowded and see what I can donate
    4) Go through some more paperwork to discard, shred, or file
    5) Go through some coupons I found yesterday
    6) Talk with DH about tuition this semester
    7) Figure out what chicken dish to cook for supper

Have a good Tuesday, everybody.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't stand myself so I hit the lake, finally, and treated myself to a two-mile ride. My weight loss has stalled lately due in part to slacking off on the exercise. It was gorgeous out there! The water here is like tea from the tannins from all the trees that shed their leaves into the water. It's clear down to about ten feet, just tea-colored. Today it was amazing seeing the sunlight as it passed down into the water. Sometimes it was like those cartoon pics you see of shafts of light shooting out of a pot of gold, sometimes it was like a sunburst right under my bike. It was all so pretty, like the northern lights only in water. I saw our little family of four loons, and our loner loon, too, and just one boat that was so silent I didn't even notice when they left the area. What a perfect day! I've only been out once in the past couple weeks since Husby got hurt falling on the dock. It's so hard to drag my bike out since we put in those boat rollers, which was the day Husby got hurt although one has nothing to do with the other. I concluded today the FD conveniently put in a nice wooden post right where we'd need to attach a winch, so the next time I get near a big box store, I'm buying a winch. I wouldn't mind so much woman-hauling the dang bike out of the lake, but I'm pulling uphill over uneven ground which is sometimes slippery, and it's a matter of time before I fall and hurt myself. Not willing to do that forever. I do need to stop by the FD and beat on their door to see if I can find someone to talk to me about what we can do that won't interfere with what they need to do, but I don't think they need to walk behind the hydrant where the winch needs to be.

When I was coming back from my ride, I was planning to park myself right over the creepy BFR that ambushed me lately. I was going to neener-neener it for a while and beat my irrational fear of it, but the more I thought about that, the creepier it seemed so it won again. I made sure not to go anywhere near it so didn't even see it today. Some of the littler ones (shopping cart size) I have to pass over on the way to the dock were bad enough.

So much for the theory that if you don't use something in a year, you should just get rid of it. Yeah, sure. I found a plastic map of our lake in our geocaching stuff when I was moving totes away from the pool table. Now we have a much better idea of how far things really are from our house, and what the names are of the islands we've been biking around too. I'm happy about the map because now we don't have to guess at distances quite as much. And we don't have to spend any money getting another one. And it's little so it fits nicely in my bike cubby. I put a floaty thing on it so if it falls in the lake, it won't sink. I think I need some more floaty things.

I moved the framing for the greenhouse up the hill, off the parking pad the dirt guy is going to make into a real parking pad instead of just a somewhat flat spot where we've been parking our trailers. I moved the bike trailer out of the way, too. I looked that spot over and decided if we take down about six trees we could enlarge that pad nicely, so I suspect Husby will be getting out the chainsaw tonight. I think that means the bike trailer has to be moved somewhere else, now that I think about it. But it's not every day we have a bulldozer at our disposal, so it seems to make sense to get the parking pad the way we really want it so it suits our needs better. We've never had three trailers there on a regular basis before, so it seems smart to make it as big as we can while the guys are working out here anyway. Especially since the greenhouse is going to go where we've parked the camper in the past.

Still have to do some cleaning in the camper and get that folded down in preparation of moving it when Husby gets home. I think that needs to go where the utility trailer is, so there's going to be some major shuffling going on. We were going to put it down by the road where the moho used to be, but that's full of a dead tree now and it's going to take some time to cut that up. We don't really want the LP tanks and battery down there either. The bikes and dock stuff are a big enough target for theft. I think we could get the bike trailer and the utility trailer into the moho parking pad without too much trouble though, and put the camper between the garage and cabin where it's been before. Some days I wish our driveway area up here by the house was bigger, and today is one of those days. Getting the camper into that space is always an interesting challenge. I'm glad Husby can manage it because I'd have it hopelessly hung up. I could back our old travel trailer like nothing but the pop ups, forget it.

Some editorial stuff is on the to-do list today, too, so it's a busy day. I like that.

Hope everyone else is having a great day, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi, got up to see the sunrise! It was beautiful!

SD, Have you checked out Zaycon fro chicken or beef?
    The meat slicer only takes 5 min to remove, wash, dry and replace, its a Bass Pro, professional made by red head. Its works great.
    The smoker they have is a Traeger, we have a brinkman, DH has drilled holes and added vents, ours put on alot of black smoke, where the kids doesnt. But I dont want to spend that kind of money on a smoker, they did get one heck of a deal on theirs at the stock show in Jan. Traegergrills/recipies.com

FW, um, blueberry sellfish, aww hahaha, what am I when I have bing cherries, they are my favorite fruit, oh, man I go nuts over them!!

Funny my Dad's favorite pie was cherry, we use to go pick tons of them and sit and pit them forever! We would have a freezer full of cherries. I am going to order the 3 pack for Christmas in their memory! Yours and mine!! Thanks for the link!

Ayanka, Now take it easy the rest of the month!! Thanks on the baking powder, sometimes I need a chemical geek to figure out all this!

Hikr00, Enjoy your day at Booth Bay! Sounds like alot of fun!
    here the recipe
    1c. warm water
    3 Tbsp warm milk
    ! pkg active dry yeast
    3 Tbsp sugar
    Combine, let sit until foamy.

In bowl combine
    31/2 c bread flour and
    3 Tbsp butter
    rub with fingers until you have crumbs.

Mix in 1 slighly beaten egg, and yeast mixture, knead until smooth and elastic, dough will be slightly sticky, ( we had to add alittle more flour)

Allow dough to rise 1 hour or until doubled ( we sprayed plastic wrap with pam and covered the bowl )

Divide dough in 8 equal pieces and form into a ball. Place on parchment paper lines cookie sheet, cover again with pam sprayed plastic and allowto rise about 1 hour.
    Brush tops with egg wash and sprinle with poppy seed or sesame seed if desired.

Bake at 400* for about 15 minutes or until brown.

We are going to make 10 buns next time, the last one came out really big. Hope it works for you.

ILC, How are you feeling? Your blood pressure doing better? Did you get your grout done? That sounds like a big job!

RABBIT< man I keep yelling, you must be having too much fun with that new puppy!!

Niko.. Ok you are starting to worry me, hope you are ok.

OM, Sending up prayers for you, Can you go get food stamps or something to help you out for awhile? Have you found a food bank to help you out? I see yhou are keeping an eye on DH, thats got to be scarey, but hopefully he will be ok..

Jen. dont try doing too much at once! We like having you around!!

Hello to everyone I forgot, My mind is just blank,, ha ha,

Today
    run, empty dishwasher
    fix dinner
    freeze avacodos

dinner, diablo chicken, brocolli and rice

I just wanted to let you know you guys are the best! I havent laughed this hard for months!! DH commented last night that he noticed I was cracking up at the computer, and I just sat here and thought, yeah, you ladies have stayed with me and brought me through all this nasty storm, Again I am feeling So Good!! ANd I owe alot of to you guys and keeping me uplifted and pushing me forward!! Thanks friends,,, Big smile

Enjoy your day and expect something good!

Hi SD an ILC we posted together again!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, is this the floor with the grout? Would Tilex work? It has bleach in it. I've only used it to clean our camper awning when it developed mold but it sure did a great job.

My doc does not recommend the BP cuffs that go on your wrist. He thinks the ones you put on your upper arm are more accurate. Whatever you get, take it to the doc's office and compare it to the ones they use to check its accuracy. Some are better than others. You should be able to have a nurse help you with that without being charged anything. At least, we can do that here for free since you're not seeing the doc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, you did it again! LOL!

No Zaycon here. Thanks for info about the slicer. I think we'd use one enough over the rest of our lifetime to be worth buying a decent one, just can't decide what to buy.

Our smoker is a Brinkmann, too. I think part of the problem is I'm in the habit of buying lean meats and that's not necessarily the best for smoking, from what I can gather. I should smoke the fatties I have in the freezer. Nothing wrapped in bacon is going to dry out in a smoker! I did buy a roasting rack for our Cobb, so I can do small batches on that now without burning it in the middle. I usually do the fatties on that. So tasty! But again, wrapped in bacon, how can I go wrong? LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, is this the one? RedHead Pro Electric Food Slicer | Bass Pro Shops

Reviews both mention it's hard to clean. Wonder why, if it's the same as yours.

Is yours very big? That's my other issue, where to store it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, my blood pressure is made by ORMAN, 3 series, advanced accuracy, easy one touch, its the cuff kind that goes on your upper arm, Dr. cardio. approved here. Sorry you have one now too. Maybe you can get rid of yours??

Try the tilex, it worked in a rental we had with college kids.

thanks for the link, I can click 3 times to help out!

SD, Thanks for the tour of the lake, its so calming to read about it! Tea colored huh, how cool is that? Did you see what epa did to one of our rivers? What a mess, and that orange color does not look good in the river.

Hope you get your drive way done, we paved our a few years back love it, but it does get kinda hot out there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The village is being g glitchy again..
    Ugh
    Pinetree I get 357 in food stamps... I stretch them as far as I can....
    I get a box from the food pantry every now and then

Today I made hash browns, browned 3 lb of chuck for the freezer
    Made meat loaf for supper and having leftover baked potatoes for supper

Hugs to all

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, that looks like it, I dont know why its hard to clean, we have to take the blade off, Dil washes it and DS takes a towel and we wipe off the tray and the rest of the machine. Its true the tray doesn't come off. Its like 12 inches tall and about 16 inches long, but it only takes a few to get it back together and back in the box. We have onlly used it 3 times, but it really does a great job, we cut up maybe 20 lbs of chicken breasts, packaged them in less than an hour. That was two of us.

ILC ,, I screwed up ITs a omron blood pressure cuff, Sorrry!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did see the news of the spill on TV, for several nights now. It's scary, especially when we live in an area that relies heavily on tourism for its economy, with about a thousand lakes in our immediate area, all of which are full of fresh water game fish that draws fisherpeople from around the world every year. Unfortunately another part of our economy is mining, and now there are companies who want to start heavy-metal mining operations in this area. There's no good answer for us up here, because no matter if the new mining is allowed or not, this area is going to lose big. But seeing what happened in out there is very scary because it could happen here, too, if the mining companies get approval to go forward.

I think our BP cuff is an Omron, too. That's a huge brand name.

Thanks, Pinetree. I've been watching YouTube videos of slicers. I see they can be used to slice bread and veggies, too, so if it would be more of a multi-purpose item, I'm more interested in it. It's getting bad with the deli meats around here though, so it might be time to just bite the bullet and take a chance on buying whatever type looks like the best balance between cost, size, quality, and usability. I hadn't thought about using smoked meats to replace deli meats, either. We LOVE smoked meats and I know I should be able to figure out how to do some smoking, so those would be an excellent replacement for the too-salty deli meats and should freeze just fine, too. If I could cook them up ahead and have them in the freezer ready for instant use, I'd be a lot happier to leave the store meat behind. I have recipes I've never tried for some lunch meats, too, and could use those if I had a good slicer. They still have salt in the recipes that I may not be able to leave out, but at least I could avoid the nitrates and preservatives and stuff. Maybe now is the time to try to figure out which slicer would work best for me.

I think I'll sic Husby on the search for a slicer. He tends to spend more money on stuff like that if he gets it in his head it's for me and not himself. LOL. He likes to search and read reviews and all that stuff, so I could just as well let him.

I don't put much limits on things I need to buy for weight loss and healthier eating. It's too critical for us at this point in our lives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, if you have any questions on how to smoke, ask away, DH will help you, he loves smoking too, I dont know if we still have the instructions or not, I know he said he needed holes at the bottom, there was no vents for air to get in to keep the charcoal and wood lit. We bought smaller turkeys at Thanksgiving and would smoke 2 at a time. Makes the best meat on a sandwich, or a salad, or just eating a chunk of meat! The kids new one is electric, and I think it uses pellets instead of wood chunks. We have all kinds of fruit wood so we dont need to buy any.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2/3 today. No hot sauce. I got too tired from the groceries. I picked more peppers today. I think next year we'll plant fewer hot peppers. This is just a huge harvest and I'm running out of ideas for them. I have a sunflower head in the dehydrator. I hope I can get them roasted right. We love sunflower seeds as a snack.

Tomorrow:

1. 1 batch of purple jam.
    2. Salt and roast sunflower seeds.
    3. Make hot sauce.

Have a wonderful day, Everyone!

Jen