2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 144
Page 144 of 271 FirstFirst ... 4494134141142143144145146147154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen, have you dehydrated the hot peppers and then coarsely ground them for sprinkling on things? You probably have. You're way ahead of me on these ideas.

Pinetree, thanks for the offer of help. I may take you up on that at some point. For me I think it's more a matter of just getting around to it than anything. We have apple wood for smoking, and something else in bags, and lots of options for buying smoker chips, so we're good that way. Our smoker is electric, too. It's a water smoker and I think that's what confuses me. I have a friend in Texas who even brought his big honkin' smoker (about the size of a big HE washer) along with him to a rally in Missouri and showed a bunch of us how to smoke. It didn't take, in my case. I don't know why I have such a mental block about this. It's not like I'm not a good cook.

We got all our to-do's done for the evening, moved three trailers and leveled the camper, pulled out two trees with the truck, moved brush, concluded we only need to cut 2-4 trees, two of which are tiny, moved some of the accessories for the greenhouse to make space for the camper, concluded we didn't need to park anything on the moho pad so no need to spend time cutting up a fifty-foot tree, and moved the brush that was cluttering up the space in front of the deck since we don't have a utility trailer yet to haul it out. So the dirt guy can come any time and in fact, the sooner the better. Husby wants to do all the things I discussed doing with the parking pad for the trailers, so we're in agreement on that. It will cost us more but we've waited about fifteen years to get it done because it wasn't a big enough job to justify having an expensive crew come out just for that, so now's the time, finally. It's going to be so great to finally be able to unhitch the trailers without having the hitches in a valley so they won't come off the ball, and to have enough space. I hope the dang neighbor stays home but it wouldn't surprise me if she shows up and starts saying we're on their property again. If she does, I'm going to invite her to call the sheriff and tell him her personal problems. The surveyor's pins that are along the lot line are pretty hard to argue with, but she tried.

What do you want to bet the guys we've been hoping will come get the pool table will call to do that when we have a yard full of bulldozers? That would be our luck.

Husby likes the idea of the smoker, homemade lunch meats, and a slicer. He's on the hunt. So far, he's liking one of the Chef's Choice models.

Got over 6,100 steps today and 12 flights of stairs. At least our steep driveway is good for something. I've been slacking on exercise lately so this is good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

yes our cuffs are Omron too

Pinetree-I sure it's mutual!
    You sound so energetic.
    You also reminded me of going to Traverse City as a child w/ my folks and getting a
    lug(20# in a thick cardboard container) of cherries. For .59# and Ddad complaining about the price. He would set it beside me in the backseat. He would fill a plastic cup and say don't eat too many or you'll get sick. He would turn around and the cup wold be 1/2 full. But only because I was refilling the cup 1/2 way when he wasn't looking. I was the fasted pitter ever.
    I never ordered from the site but would love to get a pie! As i remember it has a crust more like the Hostess cherry pies but its flaky. Thinking back I think we ate inside once because it was raining.

Spent the day w/ Dmom and DD. We ate at Outback and then Dmom shopped her socks off! She fits anything because she wears a sm. jacket and sz. 8 or 10 pants. She got 4 jackets for church,a sweatsuit that was purple vellure,3 pairs of black pants. I am so envious because it only cost her $20. 1 pair of pants was .99. All her clothes were so huge on her so I am glad she got some new.
    I had to laugh because she has never been to my S.A. before. She stands at the door of this grocery store building (former Farmer Jacks) and stops,frozen. Then "Oh MY!". Just rows and rows! So I say we can always come back. She shopped for quite awhile and tried it all on,then went to shoes. She declined jewelry this time. I really think the pacemaker is doing it's job. She out energied me!! hahaha!

Hikr00-sounds fantastic and a bit like out Frankenmuth. We get salt water taffy,then next door cheese incl.wine cheese,and the to the honey chicken restaurant. Very quaint. Not a waterfront though. I would love to ride a trolley car sometime. DH was a no thanks in Port Huron. To be fair the weather was getting bad.

ILC-I use a mix of powdered automatic dish soap and bleach or lysol. I have a scrub brush on a stick. And FYI I so don't do it too often(like hardly ever now) seems fruitless w/ all the paws. We should be sealing the grout but never have.
    Then I pulled a dummy me. I left my purse down there. DH volunteered to go get it. Gold Star for him today. For all the things I complain about after 35 yrs. Thats not one.

Sd-I forgot-rocks underwater is that what is so scary? The cruise around the lake sounds great although I don't know if my legs would hold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love the lake! Yes, it's the rocks that creep me out. Mostly the really big ones, shopping cart size and larger. The one I refused to look at today is about like a compact car. It's all flat and ominous, down there at the bottom of the lake next to a really gnarly one that sticks up out of the water about three feet. It's like the foothill to the big one. The even bigger rocks on the other side of the big one are like a rubble pile that's so bad I really can't figure out how our neighbors even get on and off the lake with their boat. The draft on our HydroBikes is less than a foot, way less than a pontoon or fishing boat, and I dinged my prop in that mess last fall the first ride out. Talk about creeping me out! If the sky would have had a chandelier, I'd have been hanging from it that day! I won't go into that mine field ever again.

Sounds like a fun day, FW.

Got the magazine edited, so that's done for now. It's starting to look like this might be the second to last round of edits. I'm always glad when we put it to bed. At any rate, that's off the to-do list till our publisher uploads all the edits so we can take a final look.

Still working on getting the pepper mill beaded for my diet buddy, who will be here in three days. I had to rip the whole thing up after it was all done because it looked terrible, and now it's giving me fits because apparently I have completely forgotten how to count to four. And it was going so well there for a while, too. Plus the thread has been wanting to tangle on me for no good reason. Dealing with eight or ten feet of thread at a time, what could possibly go wrong? Good thing I keep a lighted magnifier handy for emergencies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DD off to work for 6 am. Thanks to Dh for picking her up later. I have 4 cats who are vet scheduled. We'll see as its just me. They are so good at hiding.

-2 loads of laundry
    -vaccumn
    -unload Dw
    -brush fat cats

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just checking in, no time to read the 4-5 back pages that I have missed. Hope to catch up sometime. Foster dog did not work out, she did not like my dogs. My SIL, who is a member of FV but has not posted for quite a while, had a stroke on Monday. She has had a lot of medical issues for the past 2 years and now this. She would not want me to say who she is but please pray for her. I was at the hospital after work yesterday and will go today after my dentist appointment today.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit, I'm so sorry about your SIL. I hope for the best outcome for her. People make amazing recoveries from strokes these days, and I hope she will be one of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Up early today, already have read the paper, eaten breakfast and taken meds and vitamins, played with cats, and caught up on email.

Thanks for the BP monitor suggestions, everyone. I looked up Omron and they're not as expensive as I had worried they might be. Also thanks for all the suggestions for grout cleaning. The kitchen area is probably 12 x 12, the pantry probably 2.5 x 8, and the breakfast room about 13 x 13. The kitchen is almost done, and it looks fantastic. I really liked the way the borax cleans, but it takes a lot of elbow grease, so I'm going to get some Tilex and see if it cleans a little more easily without quite so much scrubbing. But then again, it's been so long that the grout has really been cleaned, maybe it requires the extensive scrubbing. Luckily I have a little foam kneeling pad I got for $1 at Dollar Tree and it has saved my knees. Those ceramic tiles hurt.

pinetree, how close is the polluted river to you? I've seen it on the news for several days but for some reason was convinced it was only in Texas.

For Wednesday:

1) Work on that grout
    2) Get DD's car to shop by 8:30
    3) Revise week's menus
    4) Pick up a few things at Walmart
    5) Financial stuff with DH
    6) Church 6:30

Have a good day, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

RABBIT, I was typing when you posted. So sorry about your SIL. I will keep her in my prayers. I know people who have had strokes and have completely recovered.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rabbit prayers for your sister in law. .
    Hello to everyone wow this thread moves fast. .
    Everything done yesterday
    Sweep and mop
    Cat litter
    And that isfor today

We both have doctors appointments for the next couple days

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rabbit-so terribly sorry to hear about SIL. Hope they can solve the clot and get things back on track.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trees cut. All but two anyway, and they aren't in the way of the excavator so they can wait. They're both big ones and I'm trying to convince Husby to hire someone. One is dead and the other has large vertical cracks in the trunk, typical of popples. They rot from the inside out and look fine and then WHAM! widow maker. At any rate, I hope the excavator shows up soon. I'd really like to get this all done. We keep adding to his to-do list. LOL. It's the "as long as you're here" factor. It never fails. It'll be nice to get this project done and paid for so we have a better idea how much money we'll have a for other things this year. No idea what this will all cost, but if it's under $10K we'll be happy and if it's not, we'll be unhappy but still pay it since it has to be done.

Found some long narrow carpet in the cabin that used to be an indoor putting green. I bought that years ago to make a washer toss game, but had lots left over and now it'll help Sugar not slip and fall so much. I even pieced together some of it to make bigger pieces. To that's five hunks of assorted excess out of the cabin, and a total of three more rugs to help Sugar. Win all the way around.

Here's your lake story for the day, Pinetree. I took the fish food down to the dock but didn't see any fish. So I pulled up a chair and waited a while. Eventually, a little cute fish about two inches long showed up, but didn't seem interested in the food. I waited some more. All of a sudden, crayfish started popping up onto the rocks in the water. They're very shy creatures and it's noisy walking on our dock, and they always hide when we come down there. But I had been sitting still looking over the side of the dock for so long, they weren't afraid anymore. They're the same color as the rocks and the lake bottom, so it was fun to watch because there would be nothing there, and then all of sudden they'd appear. A bunch of the fish food landed on a biggish rock right by the dock, and they were all happy picking up the food as fast as they could. About that time another fish showed up, about three inches long, but he didn't want any of the fish food either. Oh, well. We saw three of the family of four loons while we were sitting there, not real close to us. And two mallard ducks quacked right by, skimming just off the surface of the water. Then a raven stopped by and sat in the top of a dead tree next to our cove and complained very loudly about us being there. It was a gorgeous time of day to be down there, but the boat traffic on the lake was surprisingly busy. The water was still when we got down there but a pontoon full of tourists decided they had to circle out a ways right off our dock. They were out far enough, but still stirred up the water enough that we couldn't see the bottom as well anymore, so that put an end to our crayfish watching. It was fun though. Simple things for simple minds, I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We took the plunge and bought a food slicer. It seemed to hit everything I was looking for and has pretty good reviews (#3 of the top ten) on a review site Husby likes. I especially wanted something with a bigger motor and this one has 180 watts vs. most that are 100-130. I learned that lesson a long time ago, more power is always better if we want something to last. I hope we like it. Here's what we ordered: Amazon.com: Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer with 8.7-Inch Blade: Kitchen & Dining

Now I have to learn to smoke, and I need an explanation from 'someone' why I'm the only one who can learn how to do new things. I wonder if there's a nice pork loin in the freezer.

I can't believe Husby is so excited about this idea because he's usually so resistant to changes in our diet. I was willing to wait to find a used one, not necessarily that particular one, but he wanted me to get it now. He said now we can start eating healthier sandwiches. Who is this guy and what has he done with my husband?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

RABBIT, I am So sorry! Sending up prayers for her, try and keep her strong, and positive.
    Please keep in touch that she is doing well.

ILC, The river is at the other side and at the bottom of the state, Durango, so along way. Texas? Last I heard it was heading for the grand canyon, going thru new mexico. Its getting to be a joke, epa released it but know they say its the mines fault because it was there. Someone needs to clean it up instead of watching it ruin the entire river! Heard someone say it would go into lake powell.. so sad..its been a week now..

The blood pressure cuff doesnt cost alot, but to me its a pain doing it all the time! How are you doing? Good Luck with your floor!

Fw,Funny how us ladies have such fond memories of our DDad.. I sure do miss mine, I still talk to him all the time, its been 23 years. wow. I can still pit those cherries pretty fast! We have maybe 18 pie cherry trees, I share with the birds, we pick and sit on the back steps and pit them.. tho no cherries at all this year, and we lost about 1/2 of our trees.
    I am So glad to hear your Mom is doing So well! I hope she keeps improving. Have fun taking all those cats in!!

OM, glad to hear you and DH are doing good. That sure isnt very much money for food, but I guess it helps. Hopefully your Dr. will help you get your ssi and you can get some money coming in. I wouldnt think it would be much longer. Do you qualify for section 8? just trying to help, praying things turn around for you,,, try and think more positive for the future..They say you get what you speak. hugs

Jen, we only grow peppers every other year, they put out so much more than we can eat!

Ayanka, hope you are taking it easy!

Hikr00, did you see the recipe? I shoud have pm'd it. Did you have fun?

SD, WOW, what a way to wake up!! A tour of glass lake!! Thats what I am going to call it! Sounds like a wonderful time!! What are the little fish? bluegill, pearch, guess it could be anything, just adding touches to the picture here... Hey you do know that it is illegal to feed fish?? lol, We use to have crawdad fries, they were good eating, I dont know if I could eat them now, funny how you call them crayfish.. its like cantaloupe, when I visited inlaws in Minn. I always said No thanks to muskmelon, I had no idea what it was!!
    Hope your driveway doesnt cost you alot, we were surprised ours was so low. we did the leveling and all dirt work.

Hi to everyone I missed

I am thinking about canning more fruit cocktail, pineapples are .77, grapes are .67 peaches .98 havent seen then that low for years!! Apples are .50 a pound, so think I will make applesauce, since I dont have apples this year..Maybe will can pineapple, we eat alot of it.
    Our produce out here is really slow, we are just now getting corn, The farmers markets dont have much yet.
    We have the nasty storms again, monsoon is back, tornados out east, so far we have just gotten bad winds, we could use some rain. Our water bill has never been this low! Hey that reminds me, I think I got my first retirement check this morning!! Yippeeeppppe! I have to go check!!

Expect something good to happen today!!!
    Last edited by pinetree; 08-12-2015 at 01:50 PM.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OK You did it this time SD!!

Hey thats a nice slicer! Not a bad price either!! Oh yum pork loin,,, oh yum...

OK what do you want to know? I can get DH and you and him can get to it, its not hard!! and its SO good!!! Hes not here right now, so we will have to set a time or ask me and I can find out,,, I am SO excited!!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We didn't take the bikes out this morning, just sat on the dock a while. Love the dock. It was like a glass lake for a while. It's interesting to watch the waves come in from the boat wakes. I can't even imagine what it's like watching a tsunami come. That would be horrible, of course, but the little ripples from boats across the lake is interesting.

We think some of the little fish are perch. There are some others too, but I don't really know fish. We have walleyes, bass, assorted panfish, muskies, and a bunch of others. Not sure if it's illegal to feed them here or not. I'm not really worried about it either way. I'm sure you realize what a scofflaw rebel I am. Besides, I'm not really feeding fish, I'm feeding crayfish which are crustaceans. I think crawdads are bigger. Our biggest crayfish that I've seen probably wasn't bigger than four inches, if that.

I'm expecting the driveway to be at least $5,000, but I really don't know. There's no way we could do the work ourselves. It'll require heavy equipment. Plus we're having them put in drain tile at the front corners of the garage so the rainwater will dump over the sides of a couple of our hills. That'll require digging in our very rocky soil, a challenge even for the pros here. The dirt guy was talking about the gravel he'd be able to scrape up off the county road in front of our house and shove back up the hill, that's how bad it is for steepness.

I won't have any time till at least next week to think about smoking something. The dirt guy is supposed to come yet this week so we're getting ready for that since we just thought of a couple other things we need to do for that, then company this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing my diet buddy and her husband, but at the same time I'm looking forward to being able to refocus on other things next week, too.

I was out in my office today sitting in my $10 chair and admiring my $1 TV shelf. I'm so darn lucky! Can't wait to get my office straightened out so I can get back to working out there. I always loved that because it's my own private space to do with whatever I want, and so peaceful out there for work. I don't know why I quit going out there. I guess because I quit writing fiction, which was something I did every day back then. It could be a fun and productive winter.