2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 159
Page 159 of 271 FirstFirst ... 59109149156157158159160161162169209259 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My back hurts from lifting the dorm fridge yesterday. The little beastie is heavier than it looks. So I'm taking it easy.

I was going to say I was being productive, because I spent the morning watching an extremely excellent series of YouTube videos about cutting stone, and now I feel confident enough to try it. But then in the last video, the guy mentioned that stores like Lowe's and HD offer stone cutting services, which he had used for some small pieces he needed for his project. I called our nearest Lowe's (70 miles) and no such luck. Maybe they offer that service in bigger towns, not our little towns around here. So I called the nearest Menards (50 miles). No luck there either. But the guy mentioned they would have to send it out. So me, being the opportunistic soul I am, asked where they would send it out to. Oh, yea, I got the name of the company and called them. They said they were willing to look at it and see if they could cut it, and if they can, they can do it tomorrow while we're in town so we don't have to drive back for it, and they would make both cuts for $70. So we're going to drag it over there and see what happens. The other place never got back to me, and that would most likely be two 100-mile round trips to a town we'd have no other reason to go to, instead of just taking it tomorrow to a town we're going to anyway, so no extra driving at all. That'll save quite a bit. I'll save another $20 not having to buy a diamond saw blade, too. Not a bad deal, IMO. So if we can get this done, we'll have $80 in a high-end cabinet and sink, plus maybe another hundred if I buy a new Moen faucet for it. Still a huge bargain vs. buying new. A similar sink by itself looks like it would cost us $350 or more. I guess watching all the videos wasn't exactly a waste because it did give me a lead to Menards which in turn got me in touch with the stone cutting place. And the timing is perfect, since we're doing our out of town shopping tomorrow. I really, really want that vanity installed yet this fall, whether we do it or we hire it done. Either way, that sink has to be cut, so the sooner the better. It'll be a huge relief if I don't have to try cutting it myself, although I will try if I have to. Nothing to lose but the cost of the saw blade.

Today's to-do's include:
    ~put another coat of paint on the trailer sides.
    ~get EXACT measurements for the sink.
    ~remove faucet from new sink.
    ~peruse ads and finalize shopping list.
    ~call landfill in the bigger town to double check we can drop off hazardous household waste there tomorrow, and find out hours.
    ~clean up downspouts that have to be returned.
    ~watch YouTube videos about installing rain barrel diverter into downspout, so I can buy what's needed.
    ~plan and prep food for tomorrow.

So much for taking it easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My gosh, sounds like everyone is doing catch up, I dont know if I keep getting farther behind, or just trying to keep up with what I've got done. Seems like all I do is clean the kitchen!

My new project is making tortilla's, of course no salt, now I can eat mexican food, and not have to worry! Also getting a potato cutter, that way I dont have to buy fries etc, and can have an easy way to cut them up.

Dh and I are both walking around like we are old folks, well I guess we are, both of our backs are killing us, so today is a relax and recoup day.

I have the pineapple in the fridge, all cut up, I can put it in jars tomorrow. The pantry is looking lot better. Now need to get more tomatoes, DH put a freezer bag in the freezer, but I need alot more than that to make it thru the winter.

Hi and hugs to each and everyone of you, thinking of you, take care and I'll be back later!

Have a fantastic day, expect some thing good!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You're getting so much food preserved, Pinetree, I'm jealous! I wish I had a way to get good stuff to can.

Let me know if you find a recipe that makes soft tortillas.

Be sure to buy a french fry cutter that's mostly stainless steel. I paid $20 for a brand new one and it broke the first time it was used thanks to all the plastic parts. I took that back and shortly after found a steel one at GW for $1.50, which I've used for years now without any problems. I wish mine had more plates for various sizes and whatever, but I've gotten my money's worth anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, meant to say am getting s tortilla press. What do you mean "soft" I will have to experiment when I get it. its made of cast iron and 8 inches

The potato cutter is stainless and comes with 2 different size cutters, noting fancy, it cuts like a pop can crusher instead of from the top. I'll see if someone will help me with pictures.

Thanks SD, I love canning, I need to get with the pressure canner, I would love to do beans, and meats, maybe when I get better I can take a class or just get out there and figure it out! I really want to do some pickled carrots and cauiflower, but this is catching up to me, and I need to quit pushing myself!! lol That sounds familar doesnt it!!

Dont you have somewhere up there where you can buy fruit and veggies? Sometimes around here, people have too much and just give it away.

Dh cut me off on jam, we have enough but now he wants to make peach honey from the peelings from the peaches!! we will see! lol

I wish I could find great deals like you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My homemade tortillas always come out too thick, and they crack easily. No way I can fold them to make burritos or something. So far I haven't had any luck finding a good recipe. I suspect the store tortillas have some ingredient that softens them. BTW, I use the heavy, waxy bags that boxed cereal comes in in my tortilla press. It's easier to work with than plastic wrap, IMO, and stands up better.

My fry cutter only came with the one cutter, but that's okay by me. We like the thinner fries. Mine isn't anything fancy either.

You can make small batches of cauliflower and carrot pickles. At least that way you could have some in the season without overworking yourself. I just made hot cauliflower pickles using an open crock recipe of my grandma's, no canning involved, about a gallon of them. I used to make dill pickles and hot pickles in five gallon pails when the kids were all still home. They'd be in there snitching as soon as the brine was cool enough not to burn their fingers! Too funny. I never bothered canning them because they disappeared so fast.

I have to push myself. Winter's coming and there's so much that has to be done around here.

There really isn't a good place to buy fresh produce in bulk here. Most of it at the stands is imported from southern Minnesota where there are farms, and it's never the canning type of stuff and it's hideously expensive. I try to stay away from making anything sweet, so jellies and jams and stuff like that is out even though there are sometimes good deals through the grocery stores. This is what the land around here looks like, so you can see why there's no farming going on in our area:

I wonder how hydroponic cucumbers would work for canning. They're $1.49/lb. this week at the store which is not a bad price for here. I've been making hot pickles with just the usual store cucumbers but they don't work the best because they're not really for canning.

I have almost everything done on my list today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hey to everyone esp.you canning bees!!

Sad day at the rescue. Forgot how rough it can be emotionally. 2 of the cats are going to get put ot sleep tonight for aggression/not adoptable. I don't agree and would love to see them fostered but no one asked me. AND I am johnny come lately
    anyways. 2nd 1 of the cats I love got adopted which is great/sad. I never get to see who adopts them. 3rd-I guess I was filling in for someone who everyone loves-guess where that puts me. I guess I threaten her and so she needed to do everything except give me the poopiest kitten box. I have to laugh. and shake my head. I just want to help not threaten. Ironically she has my DD's same name. Funny universe,funny.! So in short,i'm feeling it today. Oh,and I forgot 4 sick rottweiler babies came in so I am praying for them. I understand the clear the way for the most adoptable triage thinking its just hard to witness it.

In other news. My Dneighbor has had a dumpster in his driveway for no less than 1 1/2 months and hasn't mowed the lawn the whole time. Today the contents were spread all over the ground some in bags,some not so much. The leaf pile,the portion that hasn't blown over to our yard last fall, has been there since Oct. 2014. DH snuck over and closed the storm that has been open 3 weeks,the shed was open 3 weeks w/ gas and propane. Now the tanks are lined along the fence in his yard. LAst fall the ladder was up for a month in the front. We don't have a crappy neighborhood sans this clown.
    SO,I go over in my nicest way and ask when he thought he could get that mowed. I said not trying to be a Bxxxx but it has been a month and a 1/2. And that the neighbors are getting stirred up. I didnt want to call the township.
    He said "he'd try but he couldnt do it until the dumpster was moved". Um,yeah.
    Whats that again? So now he's yelling SHUT UP every time my dogs bark. Good times. I understood he was kicked out and that his Ddad owns the house. Gawd,I hate neighbors. I want to live on an island!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think we're packed up for tomorrow. I'm so excited to see if we can get the sink cut! It will make my whole month if we can.

Kind of excited to bring home the first load of blocks for the greenhouse, too. That will mean we really intend to put that up yet this fall, I hope. We really need to because if we don't, then the stuff that goes in it will be ruined with the winter weather.

I just informed Husby tomorrow will most likely be a $1,000 day. Hate that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning!! Computer issues set me back from getting online for a couple of days. Turns out my computer mouse had given up the ship and that's why the monitor wouldn't come out of sleep mode. Thankfully I had a wireless mouse for my laptop so I pulled that out, plugged in the USB thingy and we were good to go. I've tried to keep up reading on the iPad but you guys are zipping along and I'm so far behind at this point I don't think I can catch up. I didn't even attempt to post while on the iPad. It's a great little tool but it has limitations. Or maybe I'm the one with the limitations and can't handle it?? LOL!

Anyway, all is well. We are still poking along slowly. I don't know where I left off. The dirt guy is done with laying the drain and backfilling. He's drawing up an estimate for us for laying the loam for the lawn and laying the turn around stuff. Progress

DH still has a bit of painting to do and he's procrastinated quite a bit on that. I've been hearing since this weekend "I have GOT to get over there and paint but I'll go as soon as I finish....." (insert anything from nap, meal, take meds, play on iPad etc). And he still hasn't really made it. He did make it over one night and decided he wasn't up for painting. He tried to put the lockset into the door between garage and breezeway, dropped the knob and the screw popped out and he couldn't find it. He gave up and came home. Because of his health issues and handicap I cut him some slack but I think he's had enough slack and I need to get him to focus again. He sometimes needs a lot of pushing.

So today's agenda:
    remotivate DH to get back to finishing his stuff over there so I can get in, clean and move a few boxes in
    Take him to the doc for his blood work to prep for next weeks' appt.
    SWIM! (those days are coming to an end in the next month and I am so going to miss it).
    Paperwork..I have a file pile that continues to grow.

Have a great day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hilk, sounds like you are going to have a busy day. I need to clean my house, but my grandsons are coming to spend the night, so will do it later. I have physical therapy this morning and DH is underfoot as he doesn't have to go to work until noon today. He will be working most of the night, so I guess I can catch up this afternoon. Everyone have a great day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's cloudy and rain is forecast for the weekend, I guess because of the Tropical Storm/Hurricane Erika. We haven't used the AC downstairs in 2 days and I'm hoping it can continue. We do use the upstairs AC because otherwise I can't sleep.

That porch is still dirty. Maybe today.....

Neither one of us felt like driving across the county to my best friend's garden yesterday so that's on tap for today.

For Friday:

1) Errands: garden and Aldi
    2) Laundry--my clothes, towels/washcloths, sheets, throw rugs
    3) Start cleaning grout in breakfast room (kitchen is finished)
    4) Clean out car
    5) Some financial stuff with DH

Have a fabulous Friday, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC-feel better=we were 55 degrees! I am not ready. Everyone is talking cider mills here.

Got DD to work and I just want to crawl back in bed!!
    DH helped me w/ the computer. My facebook feed had gotten small-too strange.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finally got their uniforms done, today is definitely one to chalk up to small victories as motivation was in short supply.
    Here is what i'm up for the evening (going with the flow)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi everyone!!

SAw this yesterday, had to pass it on

I'm not lazy, I'm just on my energy saving mode.... lol... thats me!!

Kinda excited, last night was the first night I slept thru the night, yep, didn't wake up till 7, made a pit stop and went back to sleep until 10:30!! Wow, thats alot of sleep and I am still tired!

Not doing much today, back is still hurting pretty good, so will just take it easy. Thank goodness I was ahead on some of this stuff! Thats what I get for grinding all those pears thru the mill! Sure can tell I dont have any muscle strength yet.

We finally ordered DH glasses, $77, 3 pair, bifocals, reading glasses and sunglasses. I dont know what we would do with out Zenni,, they save us so much money!

Suppose to be a warm weekend, hoping to get some stuff done, but not holding my breath.

FW< Thats exactly why I wont work with animals, dont even want to hear it. Sometimes I wonder if these no kill are kill. Sometimes these poor things sre so scared, they just need a home with some love and trust.

Ilc, so glad its cooling off for you, I hear now the hurricane might go towards texas? Hope it missses you. Wish I could turn off ac's, been cooling off at night but in the 80's in the day time.

OM, isn't your shower this weekend? Have a good time!

SD, hope you got all your errands and the sink done.

Glad to see everyone is dong ok, I have to go get something to eat... later

Have a fantastic day, expect something good!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I went to bed at 7 30 pm yesterday and didn't get up till about 12 hours later but I am feeling a lot better today. I went to the bank to have the payment paid to the notary and paid the bills for next month. I then could do a budget check and things are looking slightly better than expected. I also called the notary and found out the sellers have to be out by next week. They proposed Tuesday, but without cleaning, I asked to change it in Friday and with cleaning (having the night next week, so I don't mind the delay, would have minded the extra cleaning). Not that I expect to get it perfectly cleaned (I am just being realistic) but it should be more or less ok. And I found someone interested in the big bed. A colleague of mine wants to have it, or at least most pieces and I clearified she has to take the whole bed if she wants them. So that is one moving distress less woohoo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yippeee, whooo hooo, hip hip horrayy!! WTG Ayanka!!! I bet you are so excited!! Your day is finally here!!

Hopefully things will go smoothly and you can move right in, without much cleaning!! Man I hope they clean for you!!! Wish we could all come and help you move in!!