2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 160
Page 160 of 271 FirstFirst ... 60110150157158159160161162163170210260 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're home! What a day!

We returned the fifty feet of downspouts we didn't need because the design changed once we put the drain tile in, so that got us $50 of store credit. That, and some rebates, paid for the $80 bathroom faucet we had to buy because the faucet that came with the new sink couldn't be rehabbed.

We took the sink to the stone works and the guy looked at it and said right away they could cut it. I was so relieved! So we left it there and went to do our shopping. Four hours later we came back and it was so beautifully done. It cost us just over $75 with tax for the two cuts and it's worth every single penny. We could have never done such a nice job ourselves, and we wouldn't have saved that much anyway by the time we bought new tools to do it. You know me, I love to buy new tools, but these tools I don't think I'd have had much use for beyond this one job. And even with new tools I probably would have ruined the sink. What a nice bunch of people at that business. They were so nice to do the job today so we didn't have to drive back for it, too. That helped so much. We have less than $200 in the vanity project so far, a steal considering I checked prices and stand by my original estimate of $1,000 for new pieces of the same quality.

Then we went to WM and Super One. Ugh. I walked over 12,000 steps today. No wonder I'm exhausted.

We dragged home 25 concrete blocks, so the flooring of the greenhouse is officially started now. I hate the idea of having to load and then unload 900 pounds of block at least four more times, but it's that or pay $150 or so for delivery. We'll do it a little at a time. But my back is killing me. Husby wants to work on the gutters since we got all the parts today, but I'm not sure I'll be up for crawling up and down a ladder. It's supposed to be hot, sticky, and rainy anyway. Maybe we'll work on the trailer instead since it's still in the garage. We could sure tell we had all that weight on the truck. We loaded those blocks up and poor Avvy said, "WTH? You mean I actually have to work for a living?" We were pushing the payload limit today, for sure.

We hit the thrifts, of course. I got:
    ~cross cut shredder for my office, $6.
    ~universal keyboard for the tablet. Don't know yet if it works, but it was a $3 gamble.
    ~moose-shaped toothbrush holder for the rustic bathroom I hope to have someday, now that we're getting new, pretty furniture in there.
    ~one of those fleece blankets with sleeves, since my office is freezing in the winter. It was $3 and in the package, but I think it had been used a little because it wasn't folded like from the factory. It looks and smells new though. I'll wash it and it'll be fine.
    ~T-ware Square Round, .49.

Also hit a couple garage sales and got:
    ~Rome Pie Iron, free. It's broken, but I picked it up for the handles because I rehabbed some a few years ago that are missing handles, so I'll toss the Pie Iron and use the handles.
    ~large flower pot, free.
    ~hook thingie for Husby's HydroBike, so he can pick up weird stuff in the water. LOL. Don't ask! Free.
    ~grocery bag packed with note pads, free.
    We bought some stuff, too, nothing exciting. We did pick up 344 romance novels for $15 though. Research!

Got 12 bags of caramel corn rice crisps for fifty cents, ten packages of tortillas for .83 each, two bags of cinnamon baking chips for .49, and a package of mints for .83, all close outs at the grocery store. Also bought 4 packages and granola bars for $10 and got a free gallon of milk.

Bought a gorgeous pot of mums for my mom at WM for $4. Can't wait to give it to her tomorrow. It's pink and lavender so she'll love it.

We managed to stay under $1,000 today but barely. We said no to ourselves and each other a lot today though, so it could have been much worse. It would have been over $1,000 if they would have had some stuff that was on our list but they were out of. Now we'll have to order it on Amazon. Oh, well. Doesn't matter when or where we spend it, we still have to spend it.

On the way home, we were driving along through the trees and saw this big white thing bobbing up and down but couldn't tell what it was. We got a bit closer and realized it was an eagle! The white thing was his head. He had caught something or found some road kill and was settling into the ditch for some supper. He picked up whatever it was and flew a little ways away from the road. It's so amazing how huge those guys are when you see them up close. What a treat. Have I mentioned we love where we live?

Glad we're home and this day is over. We accomplished a lot though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ayanka-early congrats. Hope they don't leave you a mess.
    Pinetree-not all animals can be saved and yes some are taken back to the pound or euthanized at a vet. It's the only way. A dangerous animal cant be sent int the public. OTOH its a judgement thing. a no kill shelter simply means we dont kill for overcrowding. That also means we can't take every cat people try to bring. So many people bring very old,sick,unvaccinated, disfunctional,untrained animals and get upset when we cant take them. Our resources are limited too. Speech ending.....now. sorry.

Got so excited when we were out and I was grilling hamburgers. A whole swarm of fireflies were hanging around. I couldnt wait until the sunset. EXCEPT. They turned out to be fish flies. And seeing we don't live on/near a lake or water that was weird. Maybe they got off course from storms?

Dang dogs got my bagels I had got from the store DD works at. All 6 it looks like. I am out of high places,I guess they get refrigerated? Mikey was w/ me. So Mackey prob. got them down and Yogi got caught mid-munch. Need to video tape the house and make some You tube money ya'll.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a cloud of dragonflies helping us unload the concrete blocks. I suppose we stirred up the bugs.

We sometimes get clouds of fireflies out in front of our house. It's amazing to see them.

If we go down on our dock at dusk, we'll have bats flying all around us. So cool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh the bats-Oh yes. W/ all the mature pines in this neighborhood. And we have fireflies but I thought we were getting a show. lol silly me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer, I loved hearing about all your bargains! Haven't been up to garage sales yet, but hopefully when it gets cooler. I did get a free Big Gulp and a free Redbox rental on the cup along with 2 samples of Depends underwear and a couple of checks from my mystery shopping. Made it through physical therapy and then I made sugar cookies for my grandsons. We ordered pizza tonight and watched a couple of movies on Netflix. DH won't be home from work until around 3 in the morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD that was a very productive day, hope the back improves & watching an eagle on the way home sounds idyllic.
    FW2 sounds like a rewarding & heartbreaking place to work ((hug))
    To everyone else hope your having a productive day

Me? Well morning spent moving stone for the front wall (in a small way as my knee is bust) & planning the front door. We are using the larger bits of stone unsuitable for the wall on the ground in front of the door to make a rustic patio type area, fingers crossed it'll work. DH will be building it with ds making the cement.
    After lunch DH will be starting on the front door and I will be doing the school books for Monday i.e. going through to see what is left to get (mostly copies folders etc) and gathering up the piles.
    Dinner will be spelt pizza (DH does this, it's gorgeous and he views yeast bread making a therapeutic!!!)
    Hoping to be a bit more productive but we'll see.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rona-we love before and after photos if you feel comfortable. So hubby does remodeling and cooks-better keep him.!

Was doing the farm market but it rained and looks like more. Also concerned the cider mill fest. is out.
    Very excited. When DH's pay comes in Mon. I hope to put $2000. more in the bank. We are oversaving for when his contract ends.

Rona-it is rough,and uplifting. Like a min animal soap opera! hahahaha.
    It's not a home but at least its a clean safe environment for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good morning
    Dang gnats are awful . Cleaning kitchen in bleach today
    AyAnka congrats ... onthe house

The baby shower is next Friday
    All of her friends are helping with food.
    Will be glad when it is over with....

Going to friends house for dinner tonite baking brownies for dessert. .
    Cupboard is bare here..
    Remember when it never was...
    Miss those days

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're currently getting a gentle rain, the temps are still in the 70s, and there's a slight breeze coming in through the windows. Bliss!

Sounds like everybody is doing pretty well and getting some stuff accomplished.

For Saturday:

1) Errands DONE
    2) Reset den DONE
    3) Use Chick-Fil-A calendar cards for August DONE
    4) Finish laundry from yesterday
    5) Menus for next week
    6) Clean area around desk and my chair
    7) Do some decluttering with my parents' stuff stored in living room
    8) Freeze vegetables we picked at friend's garden

Have a great day, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just checking in, my back has been bothering me for the past 5 days so today is a "stay in bed day". I hate doing this but it helps so I'm hoping to be back to normal tomorrow. We have our church picnic tomorrow and DH and I are taking the boys since they have a bunch of activities for the kids and it will give my nephew and his wife a day to enjoy being kid free.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last night sucked. Sugar got me up at about one and then wouldn't settle back down. It was storming and I stood at the side door watching the damn driveway we haven't even paid for yet washing down the hill. I don't know how we're going to repair it. We got two inches of rain in a short time, plus high winds and some light hail. I don't know how we kept power. The sat service was out for at least an hour.

About the time the storm moved out, the bear arrived. I heard it out on the front deck at about three but convinced myself it was a raccoon even though I suspected it wasn't. At about 3:30 Sugar wanted out yet again, so I let her out in back and heard the bear still out on the front deck. I blasted the extremely loud and annoying bullhorn with its shrill music at the bear through the front window. I didn't see it but I heard it leave. I shined a light out there and one of the double shepherd's crooks we hang bird feeders on was bent over at a right angle, the other one was slightly bent, the third one was knocked over, the birdbath was sitting at an angle, the squirrel feeder was at a weird angle, the chainmail feeder was gone and so was the hummingbird feeder, and the finch feeder wasn't touched. The trash can we store bird seed in was moved about four feet, too. I'm surprised you all didn't hear the bad words I said from wherever you all are. Stupid bear. So I got the dog in and went back to bed. I was about asleep when the racket started up again. I made Husby get up and go deal with the damn thing, but of course I went along since I was too ticked off to sleep anyway. We hit the beast with the annoying bullhorn again and he took off, so Husby went out to bring in the feeders that were left and the trash can, which by then the bear had dragged about fifteen feet across the front deck. Where he was planning to go with it, I don't know, and I'd have paid a lot to see him boosting that heavy thing over the deck rail. Anyway, we got that in and discovered the empty trash can we use for deer corn in the winter was knocked over, too. Husby then went out to check the trash cans that actually have trash in them and found the one that's full was knocked over. It has old cat litter in it along with food scraps, so maybe the bear decided the feeders were more appetizing because it wasn't completely scattered around. Husby came in laughing after less than five minutes, because the first thing he saw when he got out there was a brochure from the bear center here in town, with a nice pic of a black bear on it, sitting right on the top of the trash like a calling card, in case we wondered who had molested our trash. He was barely in the door when we heard the bear back on the front deck. UGH! We scared it off again, got it running off the deck and then opened the door for a good blast of obnoxious noise through the screen. It was about five AM by then and Husby said he'd stay up so I could sleep, but the bear didn't come back. This AM we went on the hunt for the missing feeders. Husby took his life in his hands and walked down the wet and slippery hill in front of our house, and managed to find all the parts for the hummingbird feeder. It was in pieces but nothing was broken. I put it back together but the base leaks, so we added aquarium sealer to the Amazon order since we can't buy that in town. The chainmail feeder was more of a challenge, but I finally found it in the front garden, bent to heck and in pieces. @#$!%^ BEAR! I repaired that feeder but it looks terrible. It'll work fine though. We have crappy summer feeders and that's why. The chainmail feeders cost about $20 and we're not going to replace them no matter how ugly they get, as long as they work okay. I found a really nice little hummingbird feeder at GW today for $3, and that'll work fine. The nice thing about the whole ordeal was that, while we were putting things back together this morning, we had three eagles flying back and forth in front of our house.

We made out like bandits at GW today. As we arrived, someone was unloading stuff to donate and I spied the guy carrying in two sheets of foam rubber. So once we got parked, I hotfooted it back to the donation area, where the manager and one of the clerks were busy pricing stuff. I said I had seen the foam come in and was wondering how soon it would be priced and put out on the floor. The manager said, "Two minutes." Hot dang! I said I'd be in the store, and by the time I had walked outside and gone back into the sales area, the clerk was bringing out the foam sheets. They're good quality, very dense foam. I'm probably going to upgrade the couch cushions with it because the stuff I used wasn't the best but was what I had. This new stuff will be so much better. Then I'll use some of the couch foam to make the cushions for the chair I'm working on. Win-win. I paid $5 each for two pieces of foam that are about 5x2. One is four inches and one is five inches thick. I still can't believe it. I went into JA about four years ago to buy a piece of foam that was less than 2x2 for a chair cushion for my mom, and it would have been about $60, so $5 was a steal.

I also picked up some adult diapers for my emergency pitstop project for $2, so I can get on with that idea. It'll be a relief in more ways than one to have that in the car in case we ever get stuck in traffic where there is no way to get to a rest stop. I didn't count, but I think there are about eight in the package, so that's pretty cheap. I should pick up another package so I can put together two emergency pit stops so we can have one in each car. I guess we wouldn't have to be traveling very far to need such a thing. Now that I think about it, I recall being stuck in a roadblock brought on by a forest fire that stopped traffic for a long time. Luckily we didn't need any facilities that day but it would have been uncomfortable if we had needed to go. I guess all this is way TMI, sorry.

I got a woodworking project book from Birds & Blooms with tons of cute patterns for bird houses and feeders and other projects, LN, $3, and a pasta cookbook that has recipes for making the pasta itself, plus sauces and other pasta-related food, LN, $3.

$3 was the price of the day, I guess, because I also got the hummingbird feeder. Amazon is selling it for $22, so yea me. Not my pic, but this is the feeder. The top comes off and it's going to be a breeze to clean. We're going to have to bring it in every night so the stupid bears don't ruin this one.

I also got a waterproof case I think my phone will fit into, for $1.

The garage sales were a bust, but that's okay.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, wow, you have an exciting life. We are getting alot of bears coming down the mountains for food, since the flood and fires, theres no food for them up there, the only problem is they move them once and then kill them if they are caught again.
    You and your sales, must be nice!! lol

I cant wait for you to get that green house up. How bad is your driveway? Thats a nice feeder!
    Hey, that cat in the box on your avatar looks like my felix, he wandered in one day, and never left, hes a tuxedo baby.

RABBIT, I am right here with you! I'm thinking with all this rest and beauty sleep, We should be beautiful!! lol Take care, I hope you are better tomorrow.

Jen, really missing you!

Niko, you too!

OM, sorry, wrong weekend. You will have fun at the shower, then it wont be long till you have that little one in your arms!! Take care, hugs

ILC, hey, I see where that hurricane is going to hit you from the south. Are your prepared?? That sounds so scarey!!
    I made a peach cobbler, and I ate a giant piece for you! The peaches are SO good. How are you doing?

Bernice, you have alot going on too! hugs

Hikr00. Looks like you better swim here soon, feels like fall is coming here.

Rona, yes, we love pictures here!! even if I cant put them on myself!

GM123, Sugar cookies sound good! oh yum!

FW, You are doing a wonderful job with the furbabies. Thats something I could never do.

Ayanka, are you excited yet?

Taking it easy today, following RABBIT, DR. for both me and DH monday, if we arent better, his hips locked up!

Had to have the kid come help mow and clean cat boxes, we will be better tomorrow!! Gotta think positive right?

Might go out side later, I guess we have green beans and snow peas ready to pick! Yeah!! finally!! Plus sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, love them with salad or just eating like candy!

Have a great weekend, expect something good to happen!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hahahaha! One of my fellow editors just sent this to the whole editorial staff. It cracked me up, and I hope it gives you grin too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-tent joke-ooof!
    Sorry about the bear excitement.

Rabbit-feel better.

Went to the other cider mill that is in the castle village near us. Excellent cider. we sat and played games. It was very quiet because everyone was at Blake Cider mills cider fest. Got the best cider cinnamon jelly.
    Today is super dreary. Nix-bARK PARK TRIP,outside picnics,grilling etc.
    I may rent a movie and curl up.

DD is at a jammy jam wine sipping bachelor party. The bride has Aspbergers so she declined the bar hopping noisy crowd.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I just figured out hot to fix the phone/internet line we embarrassingly cut when we were doing the dirt work, the one the phone company says can't be fixed and has to be replaced. Replacing it sounds expensive and not very fun. I'm going to give fixing it a try when the weather straightens up. Nothing to lose.

I'm also going to see if Husby will call the phone company to ask about putting a second modem in my office, since we moved the first one into the house when we cut the phone line. If we can run two modems off the same phone line and if they won't raise our rates, then it doesn't make any sense to spend $100 on ethernet cable and have to run it from the house to the cabin. That's too much like work when we could spend $100 or less on a second modem, plug that sucker in, and just be done with the whole thing.

I had a little hummer on the new feeder. I think she hit all six feeding ports at least once. Maybe she thought it was a birdie buffet. So cute.