2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 169
Page 169 of 271 FirstFirst ... 69119159166167168169170171172179219269 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hikr, the snack incident was pretty funny. Eventually Sugar set the toy down and walked away, but Sota still seemed hurt that she even had the audacity to take it in the first place. That's not how things are supposed to work around here!

I hope you find a sewing table you like as well as I like my 'new' one! I loved the one I had before and I'm still using it for my serger, but I love my new one even more. Having the drawers all on one side instead of smaller drawers on both sides has made a huge difference, and I also happened to have a large, two-level divided tray that exactly fits the top drawer that is making a big difference for organizing all the little stuff. Let me know if you like the table you found. It's hard to wait to see stuff like that! At least it is if you're me. I'd be waiting at the door when they open Tuesday, but then, I'm pathetic. My new table had a sewing machine in it that folded down under the table at some point too, but of course that wouldn't work with my new machine. I'm okay with that though.

We have sand and gravel pits here, too. Not quarries, so much, or at least I haven't heard much about that. The glaciers dumped a lot of stuff here way back when, like the sand and gravel, and dug thousands of assorted-size holes in the ground to give us our lakes including Superior, too. What I find fascinating is the land is still rebounding from the weight of the glaciers, so Lake Superior is getting shallower a tiny bit at a time. It's hard to imagine the forces that shaped the globe over millennia.

It's hard to comprehend the scale of the open pit mines here. Here's a pic of a mining truck in one of the pits. See how little it looks?

But here's a closer pic of one of those trucks. Even seeing it in person it's hard to comprehend.

OM, Sota is short for Minnesota. We got him at the shelter a year ago because Sugar needed a companion. He's been perfect for her, just what she needed at her age.

Not sure what's on our agenda today. Several possibilities come to mind, but it won't be working on the gutters because the weather is so unsettled. Right now I'm washing stinky rugs from the back porch. After that, who knows? I'm so tired. Sugar is at that age now where she gets up at night and then can't settle down again, so she is on and off the bed repeatedly for a couple house in the middle of the night, and of course I never know when she actually needs to go out, so I'm up and down for two hours too. Then a couple hours later it's the same thing again. Poor girl. I'm not really complaining though. At least we still have her, and overall I think she's still enjoying her life. The incident with Sota's snack toy last night and the gleam in her eyes as she paraded that thing past him is proof of that. So I'll just have to be sleep deprived for what I hope will be a long time yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, that is too funny about your dogs. Good for Sugar! Yes, if she still is enjoying life then that is reassuring. I had wondered about Sota---thought maybe it was a Native American name.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a truck that big...WOW.

fw and om, hope you've both been able to get some rest.

Ayanka, thanks for the pictures! Oh, the fun you'll have fixing up your new home. And a garden too! Containers of plants on the floor, on stands/furniture, and on the walls will be gorgeous.

Gbug, I order my tennis shoes (a Southern-ism used for all kinds of athletic or walking shoes, especially for women) from Easy Spirit. Is that where you got yours? I dearly love mine.

hikr, we like visiting our local ReStore too. Sometimes we come up empty but we have gotten some good deals. DH found some window screens for several of our hard-to-fit windows, and we've gotten some little things there too.

pinetree, take it easy this weekend and enjoy that the shop is closed.

About the newest cat: DH came up with the name "Friend" which suits him to a T. He just loves people and other cats. The dogs--well, he seems hesitant about them. So far he's only seen them through the fence of their pen and he acted rather alarmed, which actually shows he has great intelligence (they are big dogs). DH is thrilled with him.

Niko, Jen, I hope you're doing all right.

For Sunday:

1) Church and breakfast DONE
    2) Bake rest of peanut butter cookies and that apple pie I didn't do yesterday
    3) Watch Sherlock at 9:00 tonight

It's a holiday weekend and I'm celebrating by doing as little as humanly possible.

Have a great day, everybody.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The concert was amazing! I slept in this morning. I am cleaning my house with the help of DH. Got three rooms to go and then going to do something fun with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. Have a safe weekend.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, the courtyard seems little on the pictures, but it is about 500 sft. And yes it is mine. The middle part is about 60 sft of actual dirt which has 2 apple trees in it, that actually produce apples. And I should be able to do some container gardening plus some gardening in the dirt part after I cleaned it out.

Im hoping to move in it this month and even then I ll only be able to move in part of it. Never thought removing wall paper could be just a pain. However this is 2 layers of wall paper of which the upper layer is general a cheap disintegrating version that is hard to pull off. Im currently working on the bedroom, so I can use that as my living room, while I am working at the rest. (And yes my furniture will fit in it, the bedroom and the kitchen alone are nearly the size of my current apartment.
    Disclaimer: European at the keyboard, unless precised, amounts are in EUR, any mistakes made because of a difference in politics, regulations or background are accidental not on purpose, please forgive me for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ayanka, nothing more fun than making a place your own. Congratulations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good call, ILC. Minnesota is an Indian name. It's Dakota and it means 'sky blue water'.

I like hearing about your new kitty. It sounds like he has landed in exactly the right place. Lucky kitty!

They're tennis shoes here, too. Tennies, for short.

We've only seen one ReStore, out in Spearfish, SD. It was closed when we walked up to the door. I think the closest one to us is in Grand Rapids, 120 miles from us.

Live music is almost always good! Glad you had a good time, GB.

I guess a three-hour nap was on my agenda. Can't believe I slept that long in the middle of the day. Neither of us is very ambitious today. It's always like that after we shop till we drop. We're getting little things done though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ayanka, congratulations on your new home. I am delighted for you. Here's an old saying by way of congratulations "Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin....." which translates as "There is no fireside like your own fireside".

SD I'd have to agree, I don't know what it is about shopping but it completely drains me.

I have had an unproductive day & plan on having an unproductive evening Bottled up some chocolate stout so might have 1 tonight?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ayanka, Oh my gosh, you have a huge house!! I cant wait to see what you do with it! That kitchen is a real nice size and its bigger than mine! You will love the apple trees too, now you can freeze apples and can applesauce or make apple butter and garden too! They say to remove wallpaper is to spray it with fabric softener, it will loosen it up and will peel, other say use a steamer. I havent found anything that works but a water bottle and a scrapper..and alot of elbow grease. You might ask someone if theres an easier way to get it off.

OM, take it easy, you had a big day and you were pretty stressed. I dont know how I could fogetr the date, DS was oct 11, bbf is the 14, my Mom was oct 10! wow thats a month away!!

ILC, you new baby sounds like he found the perfect home!! So glad he is fitting right in. um, we were talking about cookies, maybe oatmeal raisin, but peanut butter sounds really good! Thanks for the idea!

HIkr, the alfredo was made with garlic, butter, cream cheese, milk and parmesan cheese, thats it and I only used about 3/4 of the cream cheese and maybe a 1/4 of the cheese. Its was fantastic!

FW, have a great weekend!

SD Thanks for the pictures, we have mines like that north of Douglas, west of gillette, WY. a company here callled Monroe use to make those giant machines, the are huge. We had a friend in Douglas that use to drive a dump truck for the mines, they are huge also.
    Your boys sound like they really love each other, that so wonferful they feel that way. Have fun with them, try to get some sleep.

Hi to all I didnt get.

today
    find some kind of cookie to make
    read sundays paper
    vacuum

got 7 pints of pineapple for the stockpile, and made a pan of brownies yesterday with the pear sauce, instead of oil and it came out great. Also made homemade pizza, it was really good and no salt in the crust, yea, I can have pizza again!!

Have a great weekend!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ayanka, the house I grew up in had wallpaper, multiple layers of it, in every room, and all the rooms had nine foot ceilings. It was a two-story, four-bedroom house and we stripped every inch of the walls. So I feel your pain! We used a sponge and soaked down the paper, then let the water loosen up the glue on the paper. Then we used putty knives to carefully scrape it all off, being careful not to gouge the plaster. I don't know if that would work on newer wallpaper. This was back in the sixties and the wallpaper was actually paper, not vinyl like it is now. There are also steamers we could rent, although we didn't do that very much because my family didn't have any money to spare on that kind of thing. I did notice at the hazardous waste place where we dropped stuff off yesterday that there's a product that's supposed to loosen wallpaper paste. Maybe there is something similar there. I don't know what it's called because I wasn't interested in it yesterday. I just noticed what it was for, not the name of the product. But I bet a place that sells wallpaper could tell you what to use to remove it.

Apple trees! I'm envious. We can't seem to get them to work here, and the rare years we haven't had them either die or not bear any fruit, the deer and the bears have gotten all the apples. I'm happy for you for that bonus! You'll enjoy being able to grow fresh foods for yourself.

I don't know if you're aware of the concept of Square Foot (Meter) Gardening, which makes the most of small garden spaces, but here is info if you're interested. That might work for your space if you want to do something besides containers. This site is the official site, but there is a lot of info online about it so you don't have to buy products. The book is very good though, and may be available where you live because it's all over the world, I guess. Square Foot Gardening Store | Raised Bed Planters, Square Foot Gardening Grids, Square Foot Gardening Boxes

This is a site that gives the basics of the Square Foot method. http://www2.ca.uky.edu/gogreen/displ...rdeningDBH.pdf

Whatever, I'm sure next year you'll be able to set up a beautiful garden spot out there, if you want to. At the least, you'll have apples!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ayanka, on the DYI shows on TV I've seen a little tool called a wallpaper scorer. You roll it around on the wall and it scores little holes in the wallpaper, which allows some sort of liquid agent to loosen behind the paper.

Like pinetree said, I've also seen a watered-down liquid fabric softener solution used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ecstatic here! I've been watching the fridge temps in my office for a few days now and moving the thermometer around to different spots, and it's been holding at 38 degrees! I'm calling this one a big fat success. I should now have a fully usable dorm fridge out there, no more frozen pop cans leaking all over the place, no more frozen apples being ruined. And it's moved to its new spot which I love, right behind my office chair. All set! Finally. And it didn't even cost anything to fix. I'm sure it takes a little bit of power to run the fan I installed, but it can't be that much and it's worth it to me anyway. I wish I had thought about adding the fan years ago. But at least I didn't sell the fridge like I wanted to a while back.

I love it when something works out so well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

wow!
    Ayanka-we had this "barbies dream house" type little flowered wallpaper when we moved in. She had the same paper in the dining.living room,hallway,1/2 bath downstairs and up the upstairs hall! We scored it and then mopped the walls w/ a mop and bucket of water and the stripping compound. You can just peel it off then and scrub the rest of the glue off w/ a scrub brush and that compound. I hope you have it there!

SD-that is amazing about the pit. We had 2 small ones that they have built in. The first house we passed on had a gravel pit and lg. trucks roaring up and down all day. I thought toddler were bad to add. and I thought the dust would permeate everything. So I passed on a real cute house.

ILC-glad Dh loves the new kitty. We say tennis shoes or gym shoes. I think it's a age thing. Dmom says sneakers.

Went to go get ice cream but they were closed so we went to a G. sale and then a barn sale. The barn sale was down all these twisty turns so neither Dh or me knew where we were. I had a blast chatting up the 2 guys there. Dh bought a TIVO unit LN for $2. He plans to strip the hard drive out. He got to harass thier cat and was happy. They must have been scrappers because the variety was bizarre. We found our way back out and got ice cream in another town. I love those meandering fall days when you get sorta lost and dont have an agenda.
    Had dinner on the deck and played gin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

A lot of the mine pits around here have been allowed to fill with water and now are lakes. My favorite name for one of them is Lake Ore-Be-Gone. Too funny! It's quite an interesting history up here. I would think the UP would be the same. Don't they mine copper there?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-you can go to Copper Harbor and find bits of copper but I dont know much about the mines. My only fact is=Dmom finally found out she was pregnant w/ me there after 9 yrs. of trying. Oh and the sand in the water really gets pots clean.
    Maybe i shold go there,its just such a long trip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

apparently Delaware mines have tours. Info is 8 million pounds of Copper was pulled out in the 1800's. Not an underground cave kinda girl though so no to the tour too.
    Amazing veiws above though.