2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 18
Page 18 of 271 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920212868118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

did get the meds and Groc.
    did do another load of clothes and dishes
    went to get an appraisal on the the van repair.

wall washing will happen another more energetic day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi guys

My appointment was canceled on me about 1/2 hour before we were going to leave, so its now on for the 24th. huh, now gotta wait another week,,, the brain starts playing games on a person when theres too much time. Will just try and keep busy, I guess.

Going to try and exercise and see if I can get myself out of this hole I am slipping in, try to do more without hurting myself.

Today
    change back into relaxing clothes
    exercise
    look up some kind of different dinners I can eat.

Have a wonderful day!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey Spirit Deer, been watching you and your cooking, do you have somewhere I can go to see if I can eat some of those recipies you are making? Some of them sound really good, and I am getting tired of salads!

I am not going to the library, last time they had a notice up the have bedbugs!! Never thought I would ssee that happen!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry you have to wait longer, Pinetree. It seems like waiting is usually the hardest part.

Ew, bedbugs! I would have never thought about that at the library either.

Is there a particular recipe you're interested in? I can look online for you or copy them. Mostly lately I've been making WW recipes.

I got started about ten years ago making WW food sometimes, because I happened to find about a dozen of their cookbooks for a quarter each at a garage sale. I guess someone decided she was REALLY done with WW! LOL! Her (lack of) loss was my gain. I bought all the books and found several I really liked. Prior to that, I thought WW was still tuna, liver, and lots of fake, icky foods. But they had changed to using much more real foods and now we both love so many of the recipes. I keep buying WW cookbooks and trying new recipes. It's funny, because when I started using WW recipes, Husby objected pretty strongly. He's never been overweight so didn't need them, but I do the cooking and I'm not going to cook separate meals for the two of us. I kept using the WW recipes but stopped telling him it was 'diet food' and he never knew the difference. He's perfectly okay with it now and has his favorites like I do. It's not diet food, it's just healthy food anyone would like and not think of as something to eat when you have to 'diet' and be 'deprived.'

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a couple of the recipes I've used lately. I just grabbed these from the net but they're the same ones:

Steak au Poivre (South Beach Diet)
    4 servings

204 cal, 7 g fat, 8 g carb, 1 g fiber per serving.

2 garlic cloves, 1 crushed and 1 minced
    1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns, crushed
    16 ounces lean beef tenderloin steaks
    1⁄4 onion, chopped
    2⁄3 cup green bell pepper, strips
    2⁄3 cup red bell pepper, strips
    2⁄3 cup yellow bell pepper, strips
    1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
    1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
    1⁄3 cup water
    1⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk

In a small bowl, combine the crushed garlic and 1 tsp peppercorns. Press a small amount of the mixture onto each side of the steaks.
    Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with olive oil cooking spray over medium heat.
    Arrange the steaks in the skillet so they do not overlap and cook, turning frequently, for 10 minutes, or until center of steak is 160 degrees.
    Remove steaks and keep warm.
    Clean the skillet, coat with cooking spray, and place over medium heat.
    Add the onion, bell peppers, and minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
    Spoon the mixture over the steaks.
    In a small bowl, combine the bouillon granules, paprika, water, milk, and remaining 1/2 tsp peppercorns. Pour into skillet and cook, stirring often, over medium heat until the mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup.
    Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.

I make this soup a lot for lunches. I use a box of frozen spinach instead of watercress, since I can't get watercress here. I also sometimes use a 4 oz. can of mushrooms, drained, instead of buying fresh.

Pork Ball, Noodle & Watercress Soup (from WeightWatchers.com)

Six servings

Ingredients:
    1 pound(s) uncooked ground pork, (10% or less fat)
    1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
    1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, peeled and grated
    2 tsp cornstarch
    2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
    4 oz packaged chow mein noodles, or any Chinese noodle or thin spaghetti, broken in half
    1/4 pound(s) dried shiitake mushroom(s), fresh, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
    4 medium uncooked scallion(s), thinly sliced (white and light green portions only)
    1 tsp dark sesame oil, Asian
    Small bunch of watercress, chopped)

Instructions:
    Combine the pork, egg, ginger, cornstarch, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Shape mixture into 24 balls; set aside.

Bring the broth and soy sauce to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add the noodles and mushrooms; return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Gently add the pork balls; return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the pork balls and noodles are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Gently stir in the watercress and simmer until just wilted, about 1 minute.

Remove the soup from the heat, then stir in the scallions and oil.
    Yields 1 1/4 cups per serving.

I love these to keep in the freezer so I always have something to grab on busy days. I use an air-bake pan and they come out great. I've tried other pans but the bottoms get too crispy and hard while the tops don't brown. Air-bake pans work just right. But of course you can use whatever pans you have, just don't worry if the tops don't get very brown. We both love these.

WW Skinny Chimichangas (4 servings)
    1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons mild green chilies, chopped
    1⁄3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
    4 (8 inch) fat free tortillas, flour

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.
    Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat.
    Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
    Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 minutes.
    Stir in the tomato sauce and the chilies; bring to a boil.
    Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
    Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
    Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla.
    Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling.
    Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet.
    Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray.
    Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.
    Do not turn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks SD, This is what I was looking for, recipies that people really like. DH is doing most of the cooking, and trying to find easier things for him. Seems everything we find has too much salt. These I can knock most of the salt out of these and be ok. If these go in the freezer thats even better, he can grab one when ever hes hungry!

I'm looking into black bean and chick pea flour, see if I can make some pasta and pizza crusts I can eat. Tho the cauiflower crust is a good one. I can look online, but if you have some good recipies with no-low salt, and low carb please send them to me, I'll be more than happy to try them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Today's list:

1) Chiropractor appointment
    2) Fold laundry
    3) Make pork buns for dinner

Bonus task: Shop for clearance bras to donate to Free the Girls.
    I got everything done today. Shopping was an absolute blast! My daughter and I went to Kohl's and hit the clearance racks. We got 20 bras in all colors and styles.

I'm done for today.

Kind regards,

Sally

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually make the chimis ten at a time using a 20-oz. package of 99% lean ground turkey and freeze them. I top them with a little salsa and/or sour cream and chopped cherry tomatoes, lettuce, chopped raw onion, etc. Basically a mini salad to help get more veggies in our diet. Just use what you want or whatever you put on tacos. Husby likes to add some shredded cheese on top, too. They are ready in a flash because they only need to be nuked a minute or so.

I love these from the SBD book and they're very easy and quick. SBD doesn't actually emphasize low carb though. It's more like right-carb.

South Beach Diet Recipe : Vegetables Quiche Cups
    Makes 12 cups (six servings)
    1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 cup liquid egg substitute
    3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
    1/4 cup diced green bell peppers
    1/4 cup diced onions
    3 drops hot-pepper sauce (optional)

Preparation Method

Microwave the spinach for 21/2 minutes on high. Drain the excess liquid. (SQUEEZE the moisture out, don't just drain! SD)

Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups. Spray the cups with cooking spray. (I use silicone baking cups, no spray required, just fill and set on a cookie sheet. SD)

Combine the egg substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, and spinach in a bowl. Mix well. Divide evenly among the muffin cups. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Quiche cups can be frozen and reheated in the microwave. Any combination of appropriate vegetables and reduced-fat cheeses may be used.

I've been tinkering with this recipe and I use four whole large eggs instead of the egg substitute which is too expensive. I have no dietary restrictions on eggs. I use half cup of regular cheese instead of the reduced fat, since I refuse to spend $8/lb (when I can even find it) for cheese that is tasteless and won't melt right. And I sub chopped broccoli or a drained can of green beans for the spinach sometimes, and of course I'm liberal with the veggies so throw in an entire chopped onion or bell pepper instead of bothering to measure that stuff. I add twelve sliced green olives, too, but of course that adds salt but it's a nice splash for flavor. My favorite topping for these is the milder Tabasco in the green bottle. Yum! High sodium but I only use a few drops. There are lots of changes you can easily and safely make to this recipe and still stay within dietary guidelines. I've recalculated the nutritional info and my changes don't amount to much difference from the original, and IMO which is the only one that matters when I'm the on eating it it's worth it. If you need that info let me know and I'll look it up.

I never add salt to anything, even if a recipe calls for it, but of course there's so much hidden salt. Which is why it doesn't hurt a thing to leave the added salt in a recipe out of stuff.

I make popcorn sometimes with no salt. Just throw in a little bit of regular black pepper while the oil is heating up, and the pepper will stick nicely to the popcorn. Be cautious if you try it, because a little goes a long way. You can also make salt-free kettle corn, but it makes a mess of your popper. I should try making it in cast iron so I could soak the melted sugar out of it instead of varnishing the popcorn popper with it. Use about 1/4 c. of popcorn kernels and 1/8 c. of granulated sugar. I think that's right. I haven't made it in a while. Put the popcorn and oil to your own taste in the popper. Have the sugar measured and ready to go so it's handy. Once the popcorn starts to pop, quickly dump in the sugar and pop as usual. The sugar will melt and stick to the popcorn. It's way better than any kettle corn you can buy in the store. You could probably use less sugar if you wanted.

Chili of all kinds freezes well and is very easy to make lower-sodium if you use salt-free canned tomatoes and stuff to make it. Ground turkey is good in chili since chili is highly seasoned in case people don't like ground turkey. Ground chicken is good, too. Just treat either one like hamburger. Chili powder and other commercially made seasoning mixes usually are high in sodium, but you can search for recipes for many seasonings online and make your own and adjust the salt to your own taste or leave it out. It's a lot cheaper, too.

It's very easy to make your own salt-free broth. I save all my veggie scraps that will freeze well, such as onion skins, garlic trimmings, carrot peels, bell pepper scraps, etc, and keep them in a bag in the freezer till I cook a turkey. Then I save the bones from the turkey, throw them and the veggie scraps in a three-gallon stock pot, simmer the whole works for about three hours, cool, and strain through cheesecloth. Once you make this stuff, you'll never go back to the icky broth from a can. Even the lower-sodium canned broth is pretty high in sodium, so making your own is best if you are watching salt, and it's so darn easy. You don't even have to watch it simmer most of the time. Once it's strained, you can freeze it in plastic containers or can it in jars. Two cups equals one can. This making broth idea from stuff I used to throw away is one of the best ideas I ever got from FV. It saves a ton of money and we get much better food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For Wednesday:

1) Go to Tractor Supply, Aldi, and library DONE
    2) Clean bathrooms
    3) Clean up kitchen
    4) Feed backyard birds DONE

That's about it for today, except for bringing in wood for the fireplace and making sure there are plenty of old blankets in the basement for the downstairs cats to nestle in during this cold weather.

Hope everyone is staying warm and comfortable.

Remember to take care of your critters -- they get cold too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Went to Big Lot,Tenutas-done
    make saffron rice-done
    run 2 more loads of dishes
    take van in for estimate-done

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did okay with yesterday's to-do's:
    1. Track my food. Every bite. Test out the little notepad idea for temporary tracking, then transfer what I tracked to my online tracker, so FOOD DOESN'T GET FORGOTTEN. Very important. Not tracking = lying to myself. Yea! I came out one point under my daily points.

2. Do one load of dishes in the dishwasher and another load stacked in the dish drainer. Yea! I should do another load right away.

3. Copy four recipes for the WW binder. No, but that's okay.

4. Start a list of things that annoy me about our house and think about what can be done about them. I have a couple somewhat complex issues I'm working through mentally.

5. Do twenty minutes of some kind of exercise. A half hour on the bike flew by while I played computer games. I love my bike desk!

I didn't have a list but I did work on the WW cookbook project.

I also have been on target with my points today and have supper planned so I should come out exactly right.

I spent a lot of time gleaning ideas and tips from WW website, which I hope will help me stay on track. I joined a challenge there to lose 26 pounds by July 4. I'm going to have to really work hard to make that, but I figure even if I don't make the goal, it'll help me stay focused, and every pound I do lose can only help me. I need to think of a non-food reward for myself if I do make it.

Not much, but something.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Where is everybody? Are fingers too frozen to type? I hope no one is sick.

Today is just about too cold here. It's 30 but feels like 20. We've set a record and probably will set another one tonight. Anyway, stay home if you can and stay warm wherever you are.

For Thursday:

1) Stay inside
    2) Clean up our bedroom DONE
    3) Do some baking and oven-cooking (I'm thinking about meat loaves)
    4) Gather some items for donation DONE

That's about it. Have a good day, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel for you down south where you're not used to that kind of weather.

We're at zero at the moment. Not much wind, which is nice. And the sun is out for a change.

I'm not getting anything done today. I just have too much on my mind at the moment to focus.

I'm out of my WW breakfast cups and used up the last of my WW chili from the freezer, and I don't have anything in mind for supper either, so I will have to look at cookbooks today at least, and dream up something for supper for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I seem to be doing a little better, and got some things done today. I'll try a list for tomorrow, but it will probably be a light one. Hubby is off work tomorrow and Monday, so he will certainly have things he needs my "help" with.

Tomorrow:

1. Take Max(big dog) to the vet. He's licking raw spots on his legs, and we need to find a remedy.
    2. Print up some blood sugar charts. My doc didn't give me enough last visit.
    3. Sort through some of my documents and shred what we don't need.

Have a lovely day, Everyone! Stay warm and safe.

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm here, having computer problems keep getting shut down

hope everyones ok, will fill in when this thing is fixed

have a great day!

got message