2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 183
Page 183 of 271 FirstFirst ... 83133173180181182183184185186193233 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, my heart is with you, I am So thankful my son is right here. I will not take that for granted again. I am praying for your son, hoping he got sent somewhere else.
    That poor dog! is he needy because he was dumped and missing his people? I dont understand how people dump their pets.
    um, farmers market, corn on the cob?? yum....

ILC, I have almost gone off the side of a mountain too many times to count. The last one when I got hit, my back bumper caught the guard rail, and that kept me from going over the cliff. Nope, I'd rather stay on flat ground.... It is beautiful up there. We dont even ski anymore it has gotton so expensive.

OM, Hey If I have to take my medicine, so do you!! And I have alot!! I put my medicine on the table so its there when I get up, that way I dont forget so much, like yesterday, I forgot to put it on the table and didnt remember until 4pm!
    Hows your exercising coming along? Hows Paige?

Rona, theres all kinds of plants you can get to something is blooming all the time. I even have onions planted in my plants, or chives, they also bloom purple, then we eat them too. Good Luck on your stockpile. I think all of us here have one.
    Thanks, I like having my shopping done before Halloween, or at least by Thanksgiving, last year I didnt get it done and we all know how that one went!

SD, I am changing your name to mrslucky!! Sure wish it would rub off on some of us!! You guys are doing so well!! I hope that bill gets paid and you dont owe a thing!
    I would love to have my kitchen in knotty pine, I have always loved it. How did your pork come out? Did you have to shred it? I usually slice pork loin. How do you like your slicer? I love this one.

GM, hope you are feeling better today. Sweet potato pie, oh um...

RABBIT< Hi, thinking about you, Hi , if you are lurking!!

You too, Niko, Jen, hikr, and anyone I forgot.

Whoo hoo ta dones
    exercised
    up, dressed and ready
    dishes done
    table cleaned off
    need to
    check grocery sales
    pick out a sweater I want
    dinner

What are you guys talking about ? Its 85* here, summer time!! Looks like its staying for awhile too, which is great, my garden is finally growing and doing well! Of course we have snow on Halloween, but thats aways off. BFF reminded me the other day we are suppose to have a nasty winter. That means 3-4 ft of snow and temps below freezing, and high electric and gas bills... we have had it really nice for a few years now so a bad winter is really going to be tough.

Guess I need to see how much new trees are, looks like we lost 2 peach trees, sob.. we are suppose to wait until next spring but these look like they are really dead. The cherry trees are coming back slowly, and we have enough plum trees losing a few won't hurt. The front half of the apple tree is gone too. both pears made it thru with no problems.. weird.
    DH planted cucumbers but hey ended up being spagetti squash, so now we will have them thru the winter, they will keep foever in the basement. I am enjoying my tomatoes, I know they gross you out, so I won't go into it, but I am enjoying myself!
    I guess i will make a chocolate cake, I NEED chocolate so I might as well eat it!!
    Well need to get busy..

Have a peaceful, relaxing day...
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pinetree-according to the group that helps out the animal control he and partener in crime were strays. Then adopted by a family who claimed he growled at their 10 month old crawling baby. (not a good mix) So she put an ad in this resale site on the internet in my area. DD fell in love and we decided to foster it. He isnt neutered so he has a tiny tude but not for me used to such large dogs. Supposedly I can get $50. back when he is neutered but that is 2 months away at least and thru this woman from a shelter.
    You should check out the coolest dog we have at Michigananimalrescueleague.com named Thor. He is enormous and I wuv him. His head is the size of a bowling ball. He looks up at me from the kennel and contorts his big old face. I say "YOU ARE SMILING ARENT YOU!" And he just wags his whole bady at me. Mastiff/Rhodesian mix named Thor. Cant wait to pet him again at the center tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

pinetree-I usually get 2 corn ears,a head of broccoli,green beans,lg, tomatoes,peaches when they are available, I used to have an apple guy but I dont see him unless its apple time-he has a good amt of variety. I also get red and white potatoes,some onions,and these enormous carrots.

Halloween display used to be a bale of hay or 2,some mums and a carving pumpkin for each of us and a bunch of pie pumpkins and weird gourds. I used to take a hay bale picture every year. 1 year I tied up corn stalks. I get all that at the farm market every year from the same vendor.
    all the kids come here because I give out juice boxes and a handful of candy. 2 yrs. ago Mackey dressed up and the kids loved it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, No way can I look at a picture of a dog that needs a home!! A friend of mine had a dog named bo (bow ) he was a pure black dane. He use to rest his head on DS's shouolder, he was such a gentle giant. But, I don't do well with dogs. I forget to let them out etc, my cats dont need walking, thats why I baby sit and let others take them home. I really do love them, just lazy I guess, I never had them whe I was a kid. I would have taken your just for the challenge. Sometimes I wonder about people and getting rid of pets too, everyone told me my cat would kill my son when we brought him home, big lie, that cat would have given her life protecting him.

Good time to start stocking up on the onion, carrots etc. oh, I havent had red potatoes for along time, I'm putting them on the list! Picking up some pie pumpkins too, ready for pie, and cookies, man thats all I ever think of anymore!

Never thought about a juice box, thanks for the idea..
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rona, I didn't talk to the tree guy but Husby seemed to like him okay. I just hope we can get everything removed that's a threat right now. Most of the trees around us are popples (quaking aspen) and they rot from the inside out, so they'll look fine and healthy and then suddenly just snap off. They develop black areas on the trunks sometimes that's a bad sign, and we have a bunch of those right now. It'll be nice to have some of the threats removed. I want the camper down on the parking pad, because I want to get started on the greenhouse but the trailer is in the way now.

I expect after the letters yesterday, the insurance should be taken care of. But I'm not going to believe it till I get the next statements and see what the new totals are that we'll still owe.

OM, I keep my meds on the kitchen island where I'm sure to see them at suppertime. Otherwise, I would forget to take them, too. Find a system that works for you, because those meds are so important.

ILC, thanks. Now I'm curious how our tree bills will compare with yours. Sometimes it sucks living in the woods because of having to deal with this kind of maintenance, but we still wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this point. We love mountains too but wouldn't want to be there in winter or even full time, although Husby doesn't seem to think being old and driving at 10,000 feet would be a problem. However, he has proven time and again he does not really understand the concept of gravity.

FW, I hope they can get Hunter's meds sorted out soon, so he can be cured soon.

Pinetree, we'll owe something for the surgeries but not much. Our insurance is supposed to pay 95% so we'll at least owe the last 5%, which won't be much, and as I understand it, we need to pay what's left on my annual deductible, too, which was about $60 when I first talked to the insurance rep. But that's little money and we were prepared to pay our portion, no problem. It's the huge bills we weren't supposed to pay that had us so wound up. I couldn't wait to slice up the pork loin and the slicer worked great, again. I really like that thing! I got four pounds out of the three roasts. Forgot to check how many pounds they were when before cooking. Husby got home as I was finishing the slicing and kept picking at the meat and saying how good it was. I'm going to have to experiment with some marinades or inject something into it next time. I did add a rub but IMO it wasn't enough flavor. I wouldn't want knotty pine in the kitchen. Too hard to clean. We have it in half our living room, the half we added. Eventually we'll get around to doing the old half, too. Looking forward to that, if we can ever get through some of the endless list of UFOs. Sorry about your trees.

Husby's still going on about Sturgis and the motorcycle rally this year. He always reads the Black Hills newspapers online. He was just saying the rally this year set a new record of 739,000 attendees. I can't even imagine what it has to be like there with so many people. Unless you've been there, it's hard to picture just how tiny Sturgis is. And it's not like it's a suburb of a larger city, either. Spearfish is the nearest larger town and it's only about 13,000 people. Rapid City is further but still not a huge place itself. It's actually kind of weird the rally is held there. BTW, the Full Throttle Saloon fire I mentioned a while back was investigated and it was an electrical fire, the way it sounds, and ruled accidental. The value of the bar is reported to be $10,000,000 and it was not insured. I can't imagine that, either, to have an asset that huge and not protect the investment. No word if it'll be rebuilt. I have to wonder how much money flowed through just that one bar during the rally this year, being that it was so iconic and popular, and there were so many more people in town.

Pizza for supper. I seem to accidentally have all the ingredients, so better get to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-he's on Doxycycline antibiotic until about Oct. 5th and the other meds ordered are in/they don't stock them. I am a good client or I prob. would have had to pre-pay. In the meantime we are spoiling him. He got to pick up DD the other day and he eats cheerios (just a few) on the bed when I snack. He is friends w/ the old cat Maxx and Choc. the new "kitten". I let him sniff around the back today and he is in hog heaven. You can see the fall air is getting him. He needs a snip.
    I have to have the vet look closer at his hips and back. He pops and clicks when he gets up and isnt crazy about you touching in the back. He may have had a rough go. IDK.
    As far as in the front seat-not my preference. Dh spoils him. But I do fear he could fly. I will discuss it w/ him again. Maybe i'll put them both in a crate.hahaha!

DD and I are really firming up plans to go shooting. I want to call and see if I can get instructions. If I get into it I may join the club again. Dh never had time and Ds was too old to scoot under our membership so we dropped it. I was gpoing to volunteer there in the ladies group but there was a $50. membership which annoyed me. The club was about $225. and then a key card was another $50 and guest were $5. each and the "kid" couldnt be part so I was like-see ya.
    We still pop in for fried fish/chicken dinners but the guy who ran DD's group passed a bit ago so that makes it hard too.

Gotta go reheat some meatloaf.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wouldn't mind doing some shooting but I think it would get expensive. I'd be more interested in archery but there's no range nearby.

Still waiting on the tree guys. It'll be dark soon...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-you could just buy a bag and shoot? What would you do? My kids were proficient in compound and recurve. DD had her own long bow. We used to
    take them to the Sportsman club on Sat. and it just sprung from there. The guys were just great w/ the kids. They had indoor and outdoor. Some day I should see if DH can use the crossbow I got him. I think he has to get a permit for that though. Being handicapped he should qualify.

Rescue today after dropping DD. I had wanted to grab them some bleach but IDK.
    Should be weird to see if the atmosphere is still up from the zoo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, yep it's true no snakes, they never made it to Ireland after the last ice age. Great job on the weight front

OM I hope you have your medicine routine sorted, one of the most dangerous things you can do (can send you deeper) is not take them at regular intervals, send you spiralling in withdrawals on top on everything else ((hug))

FW I love decorating the house for autumn/halloween so I'm right there with you (have a couple of pumpkins in the garden growing ) Will have to buy turnips this year though!! Have to say being able to shoot is a skill i'd like to have, being able to bring home venison etc. for the freezer would be a real boost. Let me know how you get on with it.

GB don't know why but my form is good and energy levels are up at the moment (having a suspicion that it's my wellwoman though). Just rolling with it and trying to get things done - As requested sending some energy and good vibes your way That was some lovely freebies you got & hope you got the flower beds done

Pinetree it's a pity to loose well established fruit trees hope they cherry ones recover. I'm keeping my flower beds very small in my garden around the house. Will be looking into bloom times like you suggested. Hoping to have 2 really nice beds for next year, great minds think alike I have chives dug up and potted to move into the beds

SD friends of mine went to sturgis the year before last and they said it was great craic and are busting to go back again. They didn't have the bar insured!!! Those poor people! The idea of trees being that unstable is horrible, hope the job is done quickly

Hello to Peanut, hikr, Ayanka & everyone else

Happy Equinox everyone!!!

So far so done:
    Laundry 3 loads - hung to dry
    Swish n Swipe
    Checked plugs, light & all energy usage
    Kids fed & watered, breakfast & lunch
    Animals fed & watered - rounded up 2 escapee chickens
    Books done with girls 20min each
    School runs done
    Checked on Da
    Typed and printed off routine sheets for me & a simpler version for the girls, ds (16) is of course too grown up for one!
    Hoovered the sitting room & tidied

Still to do;
    Lunch -homemade soup
    Prep dinner
    Laundry 2 more loads
    Start fire
    Hoover hall & kitchen, remember cobwebs up high
    Apple Crumble for desert today to celebrate equinox, going to get youtube clips about it for after dinner.
    Kids home
    Homework
    Football run this evening for training
    Wash up ware & shine sink
    Exercises, still not doing them on the hour but trying my best
    Clean kitchen and sitting

Watched the film Julie & Julia, didn't think I'd like it but I really did, DH surprised me with her books Either he was very thoughtful or he thinks my cooking could do with improvement :rofl: So this evening I will get stuck in for a read and see what to make.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful wednesday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

rona-I always learn so much when you post. We dont relate turnips to Halloween just carve pumpkins. And I see Craic (crack) mean great fun.
    Happy Equinox back to you.
    Prob. never will but someday I'd just love to see Ireland. I'll tell ya-no snakes and no heart worm are a good start.
    We dont hunt just target shoot. I wouldnt mind hunting as long as a better shot would back me up. I would die if I wounded something and it went off suffering because of me. I'm just like that. Ds always fished for sport-catch and release. I think you should fish for food. You would still put some back for size but that cant be helped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW Just to make it even more confusing when we talk about turnips we actually mean swedes hollow out, carve and hang in trees, facing out (to keep bad spirits away) the pleasant replacement for skulls!!!!!! a habit that's all but died out here, pumpkins are waaaay easier to carve, but my grandmother liked it so I'll keep it alive. I think you'd like it here, but I have a very poor sense of how small our wee country is when compared to others. Must say don't like the sound of either snakes or heart worms.
    Thanks god you figured out what I mean by craic
    I'd have similar worries, if your going to kill and animal you would want it quick & clean, so that they wouldn't know what hit them. I'd be worried about inflicting pain!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As we say in the South: "Happy fall, y'all!"

So glad the hot weather is gone for a few months. Our 15-day forecast shows the highest temp at 83 and most of the highs in the 70s. Bliss and ecstasy!

fw, I'm with you on the hunting---I like to target shoot but I would never hunt to kill a critter. Certainly couldn't hurt a Bambi. DD's boyfriend shoots deer, wild boars, doves, ducks, etc., but his family uses them for food.

Rona, I always felt bad that you had gotten so much done each day before I ever posted but then I realized that it's morning in Ireland before it's morning here! Oh, those time zones!

SD, sure hope you hear soon from the insurance. It's time that got settled.

pinetree, I have a psychological block against doing anything Christmas-related before Thanksgiving! It irritates me when Christmas stuff shows up in the stores even before Halloween. Poor old Thanksgiving is sort of lost in the shuffle.

For Wednesday:

1) Church 6:30
    2) Financial stuff with DH DONE
    3) Reset downstairs
    4) Clean litter boxes
    5) Sweep front porch and walkway
    6) Finalize shopping lists
    7) Mop---didn't yesterday because of rain

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ilovechocolate View Post
    Rona, I always felt bad that you had gotten so much done each day before I ever posted but then I realized that it's morning in Ireland before it's morning here! Oh, those time zones!
    Thanks ILC i got a giggle from that one!!! Mwahahah (evil laugh)just call me the guilt inducer

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy first day of fall..

Fw prayers none of kids have seen that kind of action
    Paige is out now.
    Hugs to u
    Pintree excercising and dieting when out of the window when hubby got burned starting over
    SD I moved my meds and that is what happened
    Rona no snakes love that always thought it was a myth
    ILC love cooler weather
    Already have Halloween decorations out.

Sweep and mop
    Make bed
    Cook supper

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The tree guys never showed up. We're really getting sick of tradespeople who promise to come and work for us and then don't even bother to call and make up an excuse why they aren't coming.

Rona, I can't imagine not having a lucrative business insured. It makes no sense. I guess the owner has other bars elsewhere in the country.

I'd love to visit Ireland, snakes or not. Everyone I know who has been there always goes on and on about how beautiful it is. I think a lot of people don't truly understand how big the USA is, even some who live here but don't ever leave home. We've traveled thousands of miles in the south and the west and not gotten anywhere near the Gulf of Mexico or the Pacific Ocean yet. The east is completely unexplored by us, except for a few fateful days in North Carolina years ago. So many destinations, so little time. We're looking forward to retirement so we'll have time to travel without having to come home in two short weeks.

Next time your friends come to Sturgis, tell them to head west about 300 miles or so and visit Yellowstone. Everyone should see that park at least once in their lifetime. There's nowhere else like it anywhere on Earth. And tell them you want to tag along, too!

FW, we're not hunters or fishers either. We enjoy feeding the deer, and sometimes I'm tempted to shoot a damn bear, but hunting doesn't appeal to us. I would like to be able to cast a fishing line off my dock and keep forgetting to call the DNR to see if there's a way to do that and not have to buy a fishing license. Lots of people do subsistence hunting here. As you can imagine, fishing and hunting are huge parts of the culture here. We could set up a target but we need to expand our social horizons, so we're looking for ways to get ourselves out to meet people. We'd rather be home by ourselves so it's an effort.

ILC, that's great about your weather! It has to be a big relief to have cooler weather. It's cooling off here, too, sixties today. I have to get the back porch done! It's unheated so no painting or sealing if it gets too cold out there. I'm feeling better about the insurance situation. Now that we have something in writing saying they'll pay and under what terms, all of which I meet, it's more likely it's all but settled now.

I wised up and called the local rod and gun club to ask if they want the pool table. The guy said they're having a meeting tonight so he would ask. Good timing. Maybe this will be the lucky break. It seems like they'd like something like that for cold weather entertainment. There's a bar in that building and it looks like they might have space for it, and there should be plenty of muscle around to help move it, so maybe this time it'll work out. Hope springs eternal. It's about time I thought about asking a place that's about recreation.

I painted the cabinets again and that's getting close to finished. The two drawers I salvaged that I was hoping would fit in the former sink base that doesn't have drawers are a hair too big in both directions, so we're going to have to make some minor adjustments there, but that's less trouble than building drawers from scratch. Still have to glue the vinyl flooring on the shelves, and put another coat of paint on the drawer fronts, but it's getting closer to done. It'll be good to have that storage there. I guess the salvaged drawers will need a few coats of white paint to freshen them up, too, but I can do that after the carcasses are installed. I also sealed up the newly installed knotty pine. One more coat will finish that off tomorrow.

Once I get the back porch done, then it's on to the bathroom. I want the new sink installed and that's going to be more of a project than I'd like it to be, but I have to start somewhere.