2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 191
Page 191 of 271 FirstFirst ... 91141181188189190191192193194201241 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cutting out the little luxuries seems prudent till you know more about the job situation. I'd be doing the same.

I liked the hummingbird feeders too. I think the raccoons got both of them because the bears would have completely trashed them. They ripped the bottoms out of them and then the bottles wouldn't seal anymore, and the plastic bases were broken.

Plastic feeders suck. They're really too easy to chew up. I keep repairing those, too. I can't win with all metal either though because bears just bend the heck out of them. We're better off with metal ones they can open than the raccoon-proof ones that lock, because the bears don't care if they're locked or not with all those built-in can openers on their paws. Considering they can rip a door right off a car, what do they care about a little lock on a thin metal feeder? I buy plastic feeders cheap at rummage sales so it's less painful when they get ruined.

I'd have slapped a new back on the cedar feeder you had! LOL. Like I said, not pretty, but functional. The 'pets' don't care what the feeders look like, only that they have something and somewhere to eat!

I found a cute wooden feeder in the garage today that's actually in good shape. Not sure how that happened.

I'm excited to think about making some nice feeders, after I deplete the supply of old and crappy ones around here a little. I bought a little scroll saw at the storage unit sale this summer and I think it'll be fun to use to make stuff like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fortunately,bears are not a concern for us. Raccoons,squirrels,like that.
    The reason I tossed the feeder is the mess. The kids were less than 5 and the poopy and filthy feathers were irritating w/ toddlers. Also this female woodchuck just kept getting bolder and bolder like the feeder was proof I was friendly-not. So when the squirrel chewed it was the last straw. I bent the pole and chucked it under the deck/whipped the feeder out. Not a super bird fan per se.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I wouldn't want the mess in the same yard with toddlers either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw, my DD is full of "I'm 23 and an adult" but she is so irresponsible. Stick to your guns with your girl. Hope your DH is doing better soon and that finances won't take a huge hit. Until you know just try to buy the necessities.

SD, those feeders are really attractive, and I love the pallet idea.

Gbug, I hope seeing the grandboys will perk you up. So sorry you're blue today.

Ayanka, hopefully everyone showed up to view the apartment and one of them fell in love with it. You must be so ready to be rid of it.

Rona, it sounds as though you're sort of restoring your home and yard. It sounds charming and delightful, and please, when can I visit??????

pinetree, oh that vertigo! I dread having an attack. No one can understand it who hasn't experienced it. Please just relax and chill and feel better soon.

Everyone else, hi, and let us hear from you soon.

Yesterday DH found an ad in the paper about a store he likes having a big sale so off we went. It sells irregulars, etc., for cheap so we ended up spending $45 and he got 3 items and I got 5. Just long-sleeved T shirts for him and a pair of Lee jeans and a few sweatshirts and winter tops for me-----around- the- house kind of clothes but we needed them. I'm pleased with the jeans---I bought a "short" size and I don't have to hem them! Most pants on me are too long, but petite sizes are too short. I'm strange, I know....Then we spent some time looking at insurance options for coming-up Open Enrollment, and the day was gone. I did get the bills paid.

For Friday (another rainy day):

1) Laundry
    2) Change sheets
    3) Change litter boxes
    4) Revise menus since DS won't be here this weekend
    5) Go through closet
    6) General pickup

Have a good Friday, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW: I really hope your daughter gets a more adult way of looking at life soon, because she sounds worse than my sis. My sis is 22 and does not have a stable job, though not for lack of trying. If I hear your stories I really wish I could have a chat with her and talk some sense into her. Please note I am 27, so Im only 2,5 years older than her. Maybe for reference purposes, so she can understand how lucky she actually is the deal I had at that age with my parents. Rent was 400 EUR, which was about 500 USD back then. Rent included staying in the house, utilities and basic meals. Any snacks, anything special food wise had to be bought. Anything I took to work I paid for. Car was on me (though it was the old car of family members so I didn't have to pay for the car) and insurance was 150 EUR a month. Partially because I caused an accident, but merely because I had to keep that insurance. Chores obviously had to be done, though because I was working 12 hour shifts, I couldn't do much more than the dishes. And don't get me wrong, it was a fair deal. I am the oldest of three and my parents genuinely needed the money to keep the family in good financial health. And I am not trying to say you are a bad mum or anything like that, just maybe this will make her realise she needs to grow up a little. And big hugs, I don't follow the whole job situation 100%, but I really hope he finds something else soon.

To do for today:
    1. Call the guy for the boiler.
    2. Sit here for 3 hours to see if anyone shows up.
    3. Go to the gas station and fill up the tank.

Not the most ambitious plans, but as Im stuck here for the next 3 hours and I can't make a mess I don't really have much options.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks so much Ayanka. Her expectations are skewed to me. When I was her age I had had a house,been married a year and had been paying my own way for years. She has made leaps and bounds but sometimes acts like a donkey about things.
    hmm-Dh lost his direct hire job (of 8 yrs.) back in Feb. of this year. He was on a contract at the subsequent job until December but they never got it together at Amer. Express so the contract house has no work and today is his last day instead of Dec.-surprise!. The contract house wants him but has no work. Again he has his resume in at several contract houses (slang=head hunters).

My internet/cable/phone is fritzing again today. I have lost 2 calls to Dmom. She seems better.

That pathetic dog-hurt himself again last night trying to jump up on the bed. I need to make doggie stairs. He is so sweet but he definately cannot be named lucky. sheesh.

I was bad. I dropped DD at work. Shopped at Kroger for the bare minimum. Then went to 3 garage sales. Only bought a giant excercise ball for $2. for the dogs. Made Mikey very happy. Later the other library is having a sale. I will make a small limit and go over. I also rented 2 movies ($3.) for a "date night" tonight and am making dinner either roast or spaghetti. We shouldnt go out tonight. Pulling in again. So small bad not crazy spendy.

ILC-I will. I have discovered indiffence.lol Like so sorry to hear that however,blah to the blah blah. That and welcome to 25. Your ins. costs go down and so does your metabolism. Like this morning she chucked all her stuff in the washer and went to work. Clogging it up for the day. So I told her i needed to use it today. She says but I Need it for the weekend,its the last day for the Renaissance Festival. So I said when I take it out where do you want it. MIFFED. Too bad. I would have thanked me for drying it?? I suppose I was just supposed to hang it too or fold it. I keep telling her she is naturally selfish and needs to be more aware of others.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dont see my other post so...
    Ds Fb'd me and his friend has just saved a dog that looks so much like the foster we have except he's a pup when mines old,I think over the 3-5 yrs. they said the way he pops and clicks when he gets up?? Too freaky. Dont know if the friend is in this state.

AHHHH! I have to admit things next door look nice. I have who moved my cheese disease! He is clearing the back brush. That should look better.

ILC-Wtg. Never have good luck w/ seconds. Prob. because my body is a "second" these days. Gravity-who knew!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree Hope your feeling better today

FW how's your dh doing? When will he get a ct scan? Those Jam's sound amazing, I haven't really explored much further than variants of Apple, or marmalades using oranges or lemons with carrot being my most different. I would love a recipe or two of your tried and trusted if you have them??? When you have time! I think you are doing your dd a huge favour by getting her to pay her way, she just mightn't get that yet(((hug))) I am dealing with my first teenager, ds is 16 and I am amazed at how me central their view of the world is. It will change won't it??? (psst don't tell anyone but I think I was like that too as a kid lol)

SD love the pics, great minds think alike I told dh that I want a pallet for the shed for that very reason I'm also thinking of doing a show board on the wall, as the rest of the family is appalling at putting things back & that might help. There is something very peaceful about watching a dog sunbathe the only other thing that comes close for me is a contented cow curled up on the grass chewing the cud.

GB sorry to read that you were missing your granddaughter, but hope you have a ball with your boys

ILC Thanks, I do love my home & BTW Doors always open, the kettles always on & visitors are very welcome Well done on the clothes buys, sounds like you got some real bargains

Ayanka, Hope your 3 hours goes quickly!

Today was another busy one, dropped my Da back to pick up his car from the garage, did some shopping for a friend, did 2 school runs today & picked up extra kids and dropped them home. Walked the dogs & helped round up the neighbours cattle that had escaped (Thank god these were fine, the last batch he had were half wild and would go through hedges on you).
    Now I'm going to do the dinner and Jam (didn't get to yesterday as I had visitors).

Hope everyone has a lovely productive day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC--I love shopping trips like that.
    Ayanka--You will be better for the way you were raised. I know it doesn't seem so at the time.
    Frugalwarrior--Hang in there. I dealt with my three kids moving in and out. My eldest was the hardest, but with a lot of prayer he got married in April and is doing well. It hurts to see your kids suffer, but you and your husband have worked hard and it's your time now. Take the laundry out and do yours and then return it or not. She'll get the message.

Hope the rest of you have a great day. I sent my son and grandsons on their way to visit my mom in Oklahoma this morning. I just was too afraid to travel that far with my puncture on Monday. Mending a shirt and a pair of shorts today. DS helped pick more pears last night so I will be making more cinnamon cranberry pear jam later. Gotta get my script done for my class tomorrow. Hope to get everything done so I can sit outside by the fire tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was 25 I had already been through the sudden death of a parent, been married seven years, had bought two houses, had adopted two special needs kids from Korea and was working on the third one from Brazil, and had moved to another state from where I grew up. Our first adoption worker described us to her co-workers as 23 going on 40 when they questioned why she placed older kids with us. Stick to your guns, FW. She has to grow up sometime.

Rona, I would have never thought of using a pallet for a tool rack in a million years. But I love it!

ILC, great buys!

I finally defrosted the big upright today. Holy moly, what a mess! I knew it was bad but I didn't realize it was that bad. I bet I threw twenty pounds of frost out of that thing. And of course the mess was all over the floor from melting frost I chipped out of it and all the food was also frosty, so wherever that got set down was all wet, too. It took me over three hours to get it all done and the mess cleaned up. But it looks great now, I have more space, things are organized, and I have room set aside for dog food, Husby's lunches, and my WW stuff. So I'm happy. We should have enough meat to last most of the winter, too, tons of BSCB which is good, loads of beef and ground turkey, plus a couple fatties and a whole turkey. Husby about fell over when he opened the door after work. He wasn't expecting to see an organized space and being able to actually see the shelves with no frost on them.

I spent the afternoon going through the dozens of Workbasket magazines I got at the estate sale a couple weeks ago. Man, clothes were ugly in the 1970s! But I found a nice little stack of tatting patterns and another little stack of assorted other patterns.

We got two statements from the insurance today, for my two surgeries. The portion we owe has now dropped from $7,000 to $240. That's a huge relief! Apparently I don't even owe anything for my annual deductible, because I guess I met the minimum somewhere between the time they told me I'd have to pay that and now. I think we can breathe again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

first,Dh is fixing the cable connection where it comes in so if I disappear thats why. Just a gift from the flood in Jan of 2014.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rona-I havent made those jellys/jams. I get them at the cider mills here-sorry.
    I did make the cherry/cinnamon but that was so long ago I have no idea what recipe I used. Looks like GB is making some awesome ones too!!

Ds said back that he will be home before long. So prayer can continue.
    DH is feeling better because some of the pain is off him. That just wears you down.
    He is doing ok w/ the job thing. They told him to hold out sending back his laptop and they should know about this acct. they are hopefully signing. They want to keep him on the line because heis a cash cow and they know it. He said the rate would be the same premium pay so I would continue to live on 50% for the most part. Lesson learned this FEb. Trust no one!! The phone is his and we are paying our own life and health ins. so no disruption here except that DD is falling off w/ no backup.

DD is not suffering or scrimping in any way. Everyone drives her around. She sleeps at friends houses when she needs BF privacy. She has mad skills for crafting and sews things for extra cash w/ the premium sewing/embroidery machine mom bought her. They all trade/barter favors.
    We went at it again about how in my face she was. She tried the guest where I got it crud. Surprisingly I met her back hard. I love here and would fight to the death for her but molly coddlin' in over.

Connection fixed for $35. WTG DH!!!!!!
    DH has a scan at 10:30 on Tues. pending approval by the ins. co. At least its moving fast? Hope the plate can stay. No plan of action until then.

Little dog seems less painful. I think he just pulled a muscle but i really am dying to see an xray. As a stray w/ 2 other owners I am curious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

rona-maybe I could get the coke and other pop recipes from the jellies DD's friend was selling. I wont see her until Monday. This is the closing weekend for the renaissance Fest. It will be insanely busy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey all, quick check in. We are headed to New Hampshire to visit DHs cousin and his wife for the day / night. We'll be back tomorrow. We did get a ton of rain on Wednesday as some of you mentioned. Just shy of 6 inches over the course of the day. We stayed home all day but did see on the news a lot of flooding was around us. We obsessively kept walking over to check the basement of the new house as we were concerned about that as this was the first big test for that and all was dry. WHEW! Refilled the pool too! LOL!! There was concern about this hurricane Joaquin coming through and getting some backlash from that but looks like that's headed out to sea. We don't typically get hurricanes here but now and again one comes our way. We debated skipping the trip to New Hampshire this weekend because it looked like weather would be an issue but all looks good now so we're off.

FW keeping the prayers coming for your DS. Happy to hear he said he won't be too much longer. Hoping for a clean scan for your DH and that the plate can stay put. Glad little dog is doing better. Poor buddy. We had a cat that as he aged jumping up on the bed got to be too much for him and we had to get some pet stairs for him to climb. He loved those stairs. He'd alternate between lying on the bed and sometimes he'd just lie on the steps and glare at the other cats as if to say "this is MY step, you find your own way up". He was hilarious.

Rona I love jam too!! I've made raspberry, strawberry, blueberry and one time I made a mixed fruit. That's it...I've never done jelly. I have read through a few jelly recipes and I'm a little intimidated by the directions so I've never tried it. I should revisit the idea though as we picked apples last weekend and that would be a good way to use up some of them besides making a dozen pies! hahaha. That would annihilate my weight loss efforts for sure.

SD I've been working on getting our freezer emptied out so we don't have as much stuff to move and the next step is to defrost. I dread that chore. It's not going to be pretty. But like you said, it will be nice to open it up and be able to lay my hands right on stuff vs hunting around the disorganized pile looking for things. I've seen that pallet idea on Pinterest for tools and must show DH. I see it then forget about it. That would be handy for him. And Lowe's in our area piles all their pallets out back and you can just take them for free so BONUS!

Hi Pinetree, Bernice, Anyanka, ILC, Rabbit, Niko, GrammarBug and anyone I missed. Have a great weekend!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW Well done to your dh on the $35 dollar fix Glad to read that your ds will be home soon, candle lit. It'd be great if you can get some recipes but don't worry about it, you sound like you've enough on you plate

SD that's great news about your insurance, I'm delighted for you

hikr, preaching to the converted here, when I make Jams, Jellies, Pickles and Chutney's guess who's the biggest fan of all those things???? Go on, you'll never guess??? Yep you guessed it... Me! Soda Bread, with cheddar Cheese & chutney on the top, with a pot of tea. Making myself hungry here The only trick with Jellies is not to squeeze the bag, if you do, you'll cloud the jelly. Have a couple of recipes that I use if your interested?

dh is away to college today, another long one, he won't be home until 8 or 9 tonight. Next weekend will be his
    first Saturday off in 5 weeks & we are all looking forward to it. Don't know what's going on with the universe but every time I try to start my Jam making, visitors call, have to say I'm loving catching up with these people Hello to everyone else

So far so done:
    Fed & watered Kids
    Fed & watered Animals
    Lunch done for DH
    Fire Started
    Lunch on (leek & potato soup)
    Dinner on in the crockpot (sausage & bean Stew)
    Floors downstairs swept and mopped.

Still to do:
    Master Bedroom
    Laundry
    Jam (hopefully)
    Exercises
    Baking with the girls

I'll be happy if I get all of the above done, Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday