2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 194
Page 194 of 271 FirstFirst ... 94144184191192193194195196197204244 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hikr, are you required to make an entire full-sized pie? Cut the recipe down so you can make a single serving at a time. Having an entire pie sitting there to tempt someone whose life depends on avoiding such things would scare the bejeebers out of me!

WW magazine had this recipe today. I haven't tried it so can't vouch for it, but it might be worth a try when someone has a pie craving, if it tastes good at all. Core and slice an apple, mix with cinnamon, then microwave for one minute. Spread apple on an Ole' wrap. (Is that a brand name? I guess I'd use whole wheat if I couldn't find that brand.) Wrap the apple in the tortilla and bake 10 minutes.

I developed a recipe for apple crisp that bakes in a #5 cast iron Dutch oven. I've made it many times for Husby at camp, since for him it's a single serving, although it's really big enough for two small servings. I test-drive most of my #5 recipes in Corningware single serving casserole dishes until I get them perfected, so I know they'll work fine in a home oven, too. Anything that's roughly five inches in diameter and a couple inches or so deep will work to make this. I've never run the numbers on this but since it makes a small batch, it's self-limiting.

#5 Apple Crisp
    1 large or 2 small apples, sliced
    1 t. flour
    1/8 c. sugar or Splenda
    1/8 t. cinnamon
    1/4 c. oatmeal
    1/8 c. flour
    1/8 t. baking soda
    2 T. butter, melted
    1/8 c. brown sugar*
    Mix first four ingredients in #5 Dutch oven. Mix remaining ingredients till crumbly and spread on apple mixture. Bake 1/2 hour at 350. *You can sub 1/8 c. Splenda for the brown sugar and add 1 t. or less molasses. Molasses is also a sweetener though, so I'm not sure if you'd reduce the sugar by subbing that. Or just sub Splenda for the brown sugar and forget the molasses. Who's gonna know?

FW, yea for insurance! Hope he gets encouraging news from the test.

Chester is the one who brings in live mice I then have to capture and toss out the door, remember? Worthless as an assassin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-oh,I didnt know they were always alive. YUCK.

Working at the rescue tomorrow after I drop off DD at work. Went to 2 stores today and still forgot bread. These migraines have toasted my brain,or the stress. I actually have started to double tell stories and my word recall is crap.
    Better hit bed early tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oops, meant to hit the hugs button, not wtg. I hope your headaches improve. I was reading today migraines can sometimes be reactions to foods, and that some people have been helped by keeping food logs so they can tell what they ate 24 hours before a migraine started.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gbug, I'm so glad the lumbar puncture is over and you'll be getting the results soon. That is wonderful. Waiting is the pits.

SD, my cat Stubby would find any critter around. The other day she brought us a live, writing snake. I thought I would die. I screamed bloody murder and woke DH from his nap so he grumpily dispatched the snake. Stubby was so thrilled that she brought us a present. She also catches voles, chipmunks, birds (but seldom, thank goodness) and various bugs. This was the second snake she presented to us and I hope it's the last. Our late great Henry brought us the hind quarters of a rabbit once. Not a little bunny, but a really large rabbit. At least it had been large until Henry got it.

fw, hope one of the job situations works out for your DH soon.

hikr, I haven't used my passport in about 30 years but I can certainly apply for a new one! When is good for you to visit Ireland? Rona, check your calendar!

om, are you a grandmother yet? Let us hear from you.

Ayanka, how is the apartment situation going?

We went to Atlanta today to see DS . We ate at the Varsity and walked around IKEA and had a nice visit with our boy. When we got home we fed critters and went through the mail and that's pretty much it for today.

For Wednesday:

1) Haircut appointment 10:00
    2) MOP again -- that floor is so hard to clean
    3) Clean bathrooms
    4) Clean up screened porch
    5) Sweep front porch and walkway
    6) Enjoy the sunshine and the fall weather

Have a great Wednesday, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thanks. If can be seasonal change,stress and so many other things. I got the new dog in the house,am under mucho stress and I am working at the rescue. The Dneighbor is bulldozing up everything from years and years of forest. I know you can develop allergies to many things just out of the blue. I also wake up pretty tight after many dreams lately. Oh plus my Ds and his occupation. I guess the question is why not right? I need to learn some relaxation techniques. I have asked DD if I give her the yoga mat will she do some (non laughing) Yoga w/ me. and she agreed. Thanks for the input though. If I kept a log I would be better off in general.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know migraines can have lots of causes, and yes, I know you have plenty of potential causes. Hope the yoga helps. I was reading about that today, too. LOL. Tons of info in the new WW magazine today.

ILC, Jack used to kill little pencil-sized snakes. It always made me feel so bad. They're so cute and don't hurt anyone. Snakes might bother me more if we had poisonous ones here.

Husby had some back and forth with an eBay seller and finally decided the power supply he found for the 'new' flat screen monitor we bought Saturday was the right one, so I just ordered that. It was just under $10 so I hope it's the right thing and the monitor works. I'll be tickled if it does. I really hate the old monitors after using the flat screens on my laptops for so many years, but I wouldn't spend a lot on a new one because the old one works fine yet. It's a different story if I can get it for practically nothing. I'm disappointed in us that neither of us thought about the power supply. Maybe it was sitting there somewhere and we missed it. I don't recall seeing it on the shelf though. Too late anyway. If it works it should be worth $10 and if it doesn't, we've lost more money on things lately. We don't spend anything on gambling any other way, so can't complain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW yay for insurance approval!! So glad he got that done although what a pain about driving 30 miles to a different machine. Hope they process the results quickly so you can see what's going on and any potential next steps coming up. That's also good news about things moving forward on the job front. Third interview means they are really interested! Here's hoping. The house next door must be looking really good. Sounds like they are really serious about cleaning it up. That's awesome! How is the migraine today?

SD I've never developed a knack for getting the apple pie recipe down to a single serving. I tried making turnovers thinking that would do it but no, the ratio was wrong. The problem is I'd never (before yesterday) measured anything out and I went by how the cinnamon and sugar looked lying on the apple slices. Sounds nuts I know but it's what works. It doesn't look the same lying on a smaller piece of dough. But anyway, this is why I make one apple pie each fall and that's it until the holiday when there are a bunch of people here to eat the entire pie and we aren't left with any. He's already had his piece and the other slices were already wrapped and frozen last night once it cooled down. Don't worry, I'm on it

I'll run the recipe through the builder on the crisp. I like apple crisp now and then. I was telling DH what the kicker is on the pie is the carbs, not the sugar. The crisp doesn't have the crust but it does have the oatmeal and flour etc. But I don't bake a lot of sweets though unless DGD1 comes over. She and I always bake together but she always takes it home with her. LOL! That satisfies my urge to bake but doesn't muck up my diet and DHs diet and diabetes.

One of my fondest memories with DD growing up is all the cooking we did together. The thing about it was she got pretty good at fractions from figuring out the cups etc and following directions but also the conversations it generated. Sometimes with kids it's easier to have a tough conversation when you're not sitting there staring into each others eyes but when you're doing something else the conversation flowed freely. Now maybe that was just my DD and I and it's not an across the board observation but our best conversations about deep subjects were over the kitchen island while we cooked or when we were in the car together.

OK, I am off reminiscing now. LOL.

ILC yes, pull out that passport and get that baby renewed! Wouldn't that be an awesome trip?? That's great you got to head over to Atlanta and see your DS. Our cats have always been inside cats so no rodents or snakes to catch but there was one time that a mouse got into the basement when we moved some wood in. I had fallen asleep in the living room and woke up to hear the cat playing. Lots of thumps and bumps. I wondered what on earth he was doing as I could see by the moonlight he was jumping around. I snap on my cell phone and by that little light I could see it was a mouse. I THOUGHT it was his little toy mouse as those things did look real but then I realized this one had legs. I nearly passed out. I ran to the stairs and yelled for DH to come down as the cat had a mouse. DHs response?? "what did you want me to do about it". I was aghast and yelled back "I want you to take it's picture with me!! What do you THINK I want you to do?" Good heavens. So I had to watch the cat and make sure he didn't run off with this live mouse and let it go anywhere. DH finally drags himself downstairs and wrestles it away from the cat and takes it outside and put it under a bush so no birds grabbed it while it was recovering from the shock. This is what I prefer to believe...in reality it was probably dead and DH was trying to spare my feelings. I may not like them but I don't want them to be killed especially by my pet. The cat strutted around for a few days very proud of himself although I think he was bummed DH took his toy away.

Craft night was awesome. I got the strips all sewn into the four blocks I need to make the first centerpiece thing. I debated sewing them together to make the whole thing but by then it was about the time I usually leave so I pinned the stuff I needed for next time to make more triangles and headed home. But I was pleased I made that much progress. I have to make 7 total. I could get away with 6 as that's all I need for gifts. But I really want the 7th for me

Not sure about today yet. We should be doing more packing. But it's going to be low 70's and sunny and I'm thinking instead a trip to the Maine Wildlife Park and then visiting one of the state parks that is near the park and getting another stamp for our passport sounds like a much better idea. We could still do packing in the afternoon once we got home. We have leftovers for supper so I don't have to spend much time cooking and I can devote my time to packing.

Ayanka how's the apartment situation going?

GB good luck with appt today. Hope they have some answers.

Rona thanks for the recipes! I saw them pop up in the village

Hi to everyone else!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh all these critter stories are making me laugh. DGreta my late german Shepherd dropped a frozen rabbit head at DD's feet once and she called me freaking out. I guess Ds, younger but less emotional, got my kitchen tongs and picked it up and took it outside. I said the tongs can go w/ it because they were cheap and old anyway. And i also said what do you want me to do I am at work.
    She was alway one to play w/ snakes. One time she tossed one up in the air just as I was headed over that way. I DO have rattlers here and was none too pleased. Hard to judge what kind of snake it was in the air!!

SD-you have no Mississaugua (oh spelled so very wrong!)?

Hikr-no they have passed the point of my happiness. We are below them and all the grass is gone. Spring should be a mudslide. They fixed the porch post but did it so industrial it isnt attractive. BUT I have no say.
    Glad to be leaving because another day of all this noise I can do w/o.

Hugs to all. Gotta go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi everyone I'm back!! Woke up this morning feeling great!! Yippee!

Theres no way I can catch up, but I read everyones posts!!

OM, I'm sorry, my baby's (he will be 35!) birthday is sunday, so Paige is close!! Hugs..

ILC, Thanks!

FW, hang in there, you have a bunch on your plate, hope you puppy does ok.Hugs

Hikr, sounds like you are really busy too! Hey, I have an apple pie recipe you might like, My Dad was a diabetic and ate apple pie with no sugar, I love it and its pretty easy, you still have to deal with the crust nowdays.

Ayanka, Did anyone take your apt.?

Rona, you jelly sounds wonderful!

GM, sending up prayers for you.

RABBIT, HI!! OPEN YOUR WINDOW, JUST WANTED TO SAY I MISS YOU!!!

JEN, Niko, hoping you are all OK.

SD, You are so funny, I love reading your posts! Seems you are always into something!! You make me feel like I am right there!!

Since we are on animal stories,
    cheeta, use to bring mice into the bed, she would wait until you were alseep

Keeta, would bring in night crawlers and worms and put them under throw rugs.

Tasha, DS learned real fast NOT to leave his pants on the floor, she use to bring in snakes and put them in his jeans. Got him twice!

Sweet pea brings in caterpillers or tomato worms

Felix catches birds, mice, chases the cotton tails.

TJ, brings you dragon flies and hummingbird moths.

BB use to bring stray cats to live here

Funny how they try and impress you!

Today
    vacuum, alittle
    help fix dinner
    do some laundry

Trying to go slow and not over due it today.

Have a Wonderful day!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, How your head? I have found that chocolate and lack of sleep and being hungry will cause my migraines, plus other times when I can't figure them out!! Hope you are feeling better!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lumbar puncture showed no excessive spinal fluid or leak, which is good, but they still don't know what is causing the pressure. The dr. put me on meds and I have to go back next week. I'm up to 15 tests with this deal not counting all the ones I had when I had my stroke. Got my laundry almost done and making oatmeal cranberry bars for DH. Think tonight will be BLT's for dinner. I love the critter stories, too. My neighbor takes all our chicken bones down to the creek and leaves them for the wild animals. At least they aren't coming up to the house. We have bunnies, birds, frogs, butterflies, and skunks. I have two dogs, a black lab and a rescue dog that is a boxer mix. I also have a cat that is useless when it comes to catching mice. I also have chickens and tropical fish. i think it is time for a nap since I left at 5 this morning.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well he had about 10 visitors today, so I hope one of them wants to have it. And apparently the plumber was going to have a look at the eletrical boiler, so that should not be my concern anymore. Which means I only have to do the visitation, not more letting people in for check ups woohoo. Especially as this is the kind of work that takes 15 mins and costs a ton.

Sorry for not being online that much, but I try to work as much in the house as possible, and it doesn't have internet yet. No worries though, the internet guy is coming Tuesday. I just hope they are willing to install it on the dodgy electrics I currently have.
    Disclaimer: European at the keyboard, unless precised, amounts are in EUR, any mistakes made because of a difference in politics, regulations or background are accidental not on purpose, please forgive me for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hikr, I didn't realize you could freeze apple pie after it was baked. I'm not a big fan, so have never thought much about it. Glad you're keeping the servings under control! I know what you mean about the recipe not looking right when it's been reduced. The apple crisp and other stuff I make in small versions never look right, and sometimes they're not quite right the first time or first few times around. Although Husby has never failed to eat the experiments! But I write the recipes down even for stuff I've never used a recipe for, because otherwise I do things wrong because of things not looking right.

Ayanka, I figured you were pretty busy with the house. I can't wait to see what you've gotten done! I bet it's like a new place. I hope you can find a renter soon.

FW, I don't know what a Mississaugua is, so I don't think I have one.

Pinetree, thanks. You're not the first person to tell me I write so readers feel like they're right there. Too funny about the cat stashing snakes in pants left on the floor!

GB, sure hope the docs can figure out the problem. How frustrating to be having all those tests with no real results.

I've concluded since I can procrastinate and waste time so effectively when I'm supposed to be writing, I'm going to have to go by word count instead of time. Today I wrote 1,000 words which took about three hours, but also in that time, I tested and rejected a different computer mouse which killed a lot of time because it was hard to get at the connections, filled all the bird and squirrel feeders, checked the mouse traps three times, lit the furnace, hooked up one of my printers and then decided I didn't like the way it was hooked up so redid it, went back to the house to search for just the right extension cord for my microwave, made some plastic thingies to hold the extension cord up off the floor, moved a shelf unit to install the extension cord, went and found a couple of storage things to try in the fridge and freezer out there, reset the microwave, called Husby to tell him we needed bottled water since our well water is black again, read through an old partial from my current WIP (Work In Progress) and decided to use it in the new revision (which I'm proud to say I did not include in my word count), sorted through my carry bags to find just the right one, tested out at least a dozen pens to put in the carry bag, searched for and found the right folder to put my partial in inside the carry bag, measured to see if my antique sewing machine cabinet would fit next to the door in my office, measured a wooden bread box to see if it would fit on the sewing machine cabinet, rearranged some stuff on my desk, experimented with the fabric for my office chair cover and came up with a plan to make the cover, accidentally tripped and reset the mouse trap by my desk at least six times since I kept stepping on it, messed around with the settings that have worked for at least ten years in my Word program in an attempt to 'improve' them, and decluttered my printer. When I had most of that stuff done was when I concluded I needed to switch from timed writing time to a word count. I bet I'll find a lot less stuff I 'have to' do from this point forward! LOL. A thousand words might not sound like much, but some days ten words is a struggle, so 1K is going to be my daily goal for now and I'm looking forward to it.

Other ta-dones include a batch of WW black bean soup for the freezer and washing a rack of plastic ware. Not a lot but I'm taking it easy today. I got more sleep last night which helped a lot. At least I don't feel like I'm walking around in a fog today.

Husby Eternabonded the gutters yesterday. I hope that stops all the leaks. The forecast is for 100% chance of rain tonight so maybe we'll find out. It's sunny now though. We're having a mild fall but of course that can change in a heartbeat here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

GM, I hope they find out what is causing your problems soon, its sad its hurry up and wait!

Ayanka, good to hear your voice! I can't wait to see what you have gotten done too! I bet you are tired and excited!! Now, if someone would rent that apt!!

FW, sent up a prayer for your DH, and your stress... man I feel for you. Hugs

SD, hey seeing you are making soups, anything salt free with good flavor?? Oh, what the heck, anything I can eat?? I am finding more and more salt in everything, I wish they would quit putting it in everything!!

Finding the snakes wasnt that funny! I am scared to death of them, the poor kid just grabbed it and put it outside! The worms arent funny either, most of them got squashed and had to be sctaped off!!
    DH is really good getting rid of things he doesnt want me to freak out about, so I'm sure theres more horror stories, like felix getting my black squirrel...sob..

Got all my list done, yea, 2 loads of laundry done...

ILC, how to you fix the butter beans? Canned or dried?

I'm off to google

Hi to everyone!!! wave!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let's see, today's soup had turkey sausage in it. Tasty, but I'm sure salty. The rest of it was good for you though, black beans, HM saltless broth, onion, garlic, cilantro, peppers, I think that was all. You could sub ground turkey and put in your own salt-free sausage spices. I used canned beans but you could pressure-cook your own. They are rinsed and drained though, so that should have drastically cut the salt.

Finding the snakes was funny because they weren't in MY pants! LOL.

I'm exploring a new hobby, punchneedle embroidery. It's a form of embroidery, but it's like rug hooking only tiny. I got a punchneedle tool in one of the boxes of stuff we got at that estate sale a few weeks ago, plus a huge box of threads for it. It also can be done with six-strand embroidery floss which we have tons of, and other threads like tatting thread. So we'll be able to start a new hobby without spending much money because we already have most of what we need, and what we don't have isn't very expensive. And the best part, it will take almost no space to store the tools for it because they're small and we don't need many, so we won't add to the clutter around here. I suspect Husby will like doing this too because he likes counted cross stitch and this will be quicker and easier. I got a couple books through ILL today and it looks very interesting and fun.

All this talk of critters dragging in critters must have made the thought into reality because Jack dragged in a dead mouse and left it on the rug by the kitchen sink for me this afternoon. I knew something was up because like usual, he had to announce it, and of course then Chester had to go running to see who Jack had killed. Luckily (or unluckily) Sota had apparently not gotten the memo about the new code, because he missed the announcement. Otherwise, he'd have slurped the corpse down before I had a chance to throw it out. So now the nice clean rug I had just put down is a bloody mess. Of course! I've always been real happy our cats have never put their victims anywhere but on the floor. The dogs are another story, like the time a few years ago we came home and found feathers all over the bedroom including on the bed, where Sugar had brought in the ruffed grouse she had killed and, apparently eaten the entire thing while lounging on our pillows, scattering feathers to the four corners with wild abandon. The down side of having a dog door that allows us the freedom to be gone all day and not worry about the dogs being able to go outside when they need to.