2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 214
Page 214 of 271 FirstFirst ... 114164204211212213214215216217224264 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW2--What is devil's night? We don't get in trick or treaters in our neighborhood. Most schools and churches have festivals or trunk or treat. Going to stay in. Finally stopped raining, but my DS and DIL are surrounded by water in Houston and hoping none gets in their house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pinetree-oh lol Everyone has a friend or relative like that. My old GF was the perveyor of the most delightful urban legends.Everyone of which she believed. Saying FW it true!! after all of them. If shes on the computer have her google prove it lol. And at the very least stay away from that pharmacy.
    Thanks on the prayers. Keep em comin'

GB-devils night is the night of pranks. Setting poop on fire in a paper bag at the nasty then ringing the bell. He will stomp it out,kids toilet paper trees,soap window. etc. But in Detroit Arsons burned things like empty houses. They formed a coalition of volunteers and promoted it as Angels night. People partrola nd walk the neighborhoods to keep eyes on things. The arson is stopped to a large degree. Google it.

Lazy today. cooked the chicken but thats it so far. I been staying w/ Hunter watching "The librarians". He is happy as a clam all dug into my new sherpa comforter.
    Dmom and i had a spat yesterday about her pressuring me. She always gives me a hard time if i mention the kids not going to the Dr. or not having ins. and i usually shush it off. But yesterday I told her. I mean its not like I can tell young adults what and what not to do. She's always like well you should tell them. I cant tell them anything. So I just let it go today and start fresh. She is forgetting a lot of memories these days and thats disturbing enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We knew we were done shopping when the truck got full. LOL.

It was a fun day. I didn't get a lot of what was on my wish list, but a few things. Great prices as always. We were surprised how much stuff they had since the summer sale was only four months ago. Mostly we got small stuff, but some larger things, too, and one BIG thing that Husby had on his wish list.

Off the 8/$1 tables we got:
    ~a Tupperware storage box, about a quart and a half.
    ~two covers for boat fenders, NIP.
    ~a pretty tin with deer and wolves (bad combo) for my hot chocolate mix in the cabin.
    ~a coffee scoop for the hot chocolate mix.
    ~clear archival photo pages, NIP.
    ~acrylic pepper mill.
    ~pizza pan with holes in the bottom.
    ~large tin for bird food in the cabin.
    ~cloth file box with many pockets for paperwork.
    ~two tall T-ware 'hourglass' salt and pepper shakers.
    ~mouse pad I needed.
    ~wire pastry cutter, since Husby broke the last one.
    ~lots of other stuff I can't remember now. We only got a couple bags full, so didn't add too much to the clutter at home.

For smaller stuff, we also picked up:
    ~desk lamp for Husby, $1. I think he might paint it. It's brass with a nice style but sort of ugly.
    ~bundle of seven LN tension curtain rods, $2. I need four for my office and don't want to pay retail. I have to cut them down so I guess I'll be finding out if that's possible.
    ~Salton five-container (one quart total) individual yogurt maker, $4. I've wanted one for several years but not badly enough to pay retail.
    ~boat fender for the dock, $1.
    ~one of my favorite things today, a very nasty-looking cast iron rectangular grill pan with removable handle, $1. It's truly disgusting and rusty and I just love it! It'll be fun to clean up and I know I'll use it. I've never seen one like it.
    ~LN messenger bag for work, fifty cents.
    ~box of cross stitch magazines with lots of Stoney Creek patterns which we love, $1.
    ~six or eight romance novels and a puzzle, $1.
    ~large rectangular trash can with no lid, $2.
    ~bulletin board, $1.

We hit the furniture rooms first and didn't find much. No entertainment centers we could use, although there was a really gorgeous one, great quality and huge, for $20. We'd have bought it if we weren't going to use the double secretary in Husby's office. It was very nice and we both loved it. But as you'll read later, it's a darn good thing we didn't buy any really big stuff.

I picked up one of those printer stands people used to use that you put tractor-feed paper through a slot in the top, with the paper sitting on a shelf below, and then run it into the printer sitting on top. I knew it would be the perfect size for my easel and story board, right by my desk. The shelf where the printer paper used to go holds my bags with my WIPs in them. It's perfect! It's a nicely finished oak veneer and I don't need to do anything to it except possibly add wheels or pads to the bottom, because I'll have to move it once in a while. It was $5. That was the only thing we saw on the first round, but then later, after we had been through the big room with all the little stuff, I went back for another look. I had completely forgotten about the shelf I need next to the Porta Potti in my office, and wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I found a cute end table for $5, and decided to try making some of those shelves where people cut a coffee table or some other small table in half the long way, then stack the two halves to use as shelves. This could get tricky because my end table is one of those that has a small shelf near the back of the end table, and then the main part that sticks out in front of that and is lower. I might end up wrecking it but what the heck, I'll gamble $5.

I also wanted to find a small cabinet or shelf unit for the back hall, which is only about eight feet long and has three doors and an archway in it, so not much wall space. It also couldn't stick out very far, and it has to sit under a coat rack, so can't be tall either. I didn't think I'd find anything, but after I found the end table and was paying for that, I spied a cute little cabinet so had to give that a closer look. It was only $6! So I grabbed that, too. Mostly I want it because Husby overbuys pop in twelve packs and stacks them in the back hall, which I hate. I've nagged about it but I'm ready to admit defeat, so now he can stash the spare pop in the cabinet. It's a weird shape with the front split into three sections. The two side doors are at an angle which will be nice, because there aren't any hip-banging sharp corners. It's also about the same width as the coat rack that hangs on the wall, so that'll look nice. It has only minor damage and wear so I'm just going to clean it up and use it for now. Eventually, I'll paint it or do something with the finish on it. I'm starting to really like that piece! I never would have thought of buying something like that but when I saw it, I knew it was just the right thing.

Husby wasn't with me during the furniture escapade, because he had found a large item on his wish list and was busy talking to one of the workers there about it, since it had belonged to the guy's neighbor. Since the power company cut down all those trees, Husby has been researching getting a wood chipper and had one all picked out at Harbor Freight, hoping he could get that next week when we take Mom to Duluth for her doc appointment. I didn't see the point of it myself, since it would only handle a 1.5" branch which doesn't seem like very much. I suspect once he saw the Harbor Freight one, he'd have lost interest fast because it didn't sound like much of a chipper to me. The HF one cost $150. I had noticed this wood chipper sitting near the doors at the sale when we first came but then got distracted by furniture and forgot to mention it. It was so crowded there and I was so focused because of the long list of stuff we were looking for it just slipped my mind. When I was looking at furniture the second time around, Husby noticed the wood chipper and got all excited. He came and dragged me away from my furniture even though I know nothing about wood chippers and don't really want to. At any rate, by that time we were an hour and a half into the sale. It's still hard to believe that thing was still sitting there, except there was a ton of stuff in front of it because that was sort of a staging area where the furniture people had bought was being brought to await loading, since it was drizzly outside. He ended up getting the chipper, which claims it'll chip a 5.75" branch, for $125. Easily the deal of the day! It's a Troy Bilt chipper/vac, and we figure even if it needs repairs, it would still probably be worth $125. The guy Husby talked to also claimed the blade had just been sharpened and that all the parts were there and everything worked. The Lions are very careful about their reputation in regard to this sale, it seems, and they also seem to test everything they sell, so we're fairly sure it's probably okay. The chipper shows some wear, of course, but it doesn't look like it's been beaten to death like some used tools you see. We don't have the gas and oil it needs, so can't try it out yet. What perfect timing! Glad he found one before he bought the HF one. The funny part is last night Husby jokingly said, when I asked what I should put on the list for him to look for today, "Maybe I'll find a wood chipper, hahaha." And then he did!

We also found a great steel L desk, very nice, nicer than the one we bought in Superior, really. But we discussed it and he kept insisting he was happy with what he had, so we didn't buy it. It was $25 so even if we had bought both and donated one, we would have still had very little money into a desk. We're both relieved he decided against this new desk because it would have been such a beast to move and we're tired. Besides, if we had bought the desk or any other big piece of furniture, we wouldn't have gotten the chipper home.

They had two really nice boats there today. Both were aluminum with motors and trailers and split cabins and windshields. We liked the smaller one that came with everything including gas tanks and batteries and cover and all the goodies for $1,500. Man, that was a beautiful boat! And it didn't need work, except a paint job on the trailer. We stood there a l-o-n-g time just thinking! But finally we decided we had already had a boat that we had used maybe three times in twenty years, and were able to walk away. It's a good thing we didn't have a draw bar along or I'm afraid we might not have been able to talk ourselves out of it. It helped we'd have had to come back to get it. The license was even paid up till the end of next year. It was ready to go. But we decided to stick with the HydroBikes, since the chances of us getting hurt with those are practically nil, whereas a boat with a 60 HP motor on it could be deadly on our rocky lakes.

We had a great time at the sale for the $165 we spent, and we're very happy about the chipper, assuming it works okay. That'll come in handy for years to come and save us having to haul brush, plus give us nice mulch to use around the place.

I painted the top side of the shelf with the crackle paint this morning before we left, and I really like how that turned out. I still think the glue is too thick so might try thinning it on the next project. But I think it looks nice, and pretty soon I'll be able to install that in my office and scratch that project off the list.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hahahaha! Husby has already found himself a project in the cross stitch magazines we got. It's a bird feeder with a kitten in it and birds around.

Now he said there's another one in a different magazine, that goes with the other bird feeder one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awesome finds SD (as always!!). I have never seen sales like that around here. I need to branch further out maybe. I bet the cross stitch with the kitten and the birds is cute. I have no patience for counted cross stitch but I love to see them as they are really beautiful.

I'm so far behind I'll never catch up but hope everyone is doing well!!

All is well here. Still packing, sorting and hanging with the kids in between packing and sorting. It's a drag but at least it's progress.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-that doesnt seem like that much stuff actually and certainly not much money. I got a chipper years ago and we like it bit I required repeated sharpening. IDK what kind but its not a troy built. We paid $75 at a G.sale 20 yrs ago or so.

Halloween went well except that Mikey ran out and insisted he follow this small boy.
    IDK he just looked right to him I guess? We had less kids than last year.Prob. 50?
    Dh had gotten all the leaves up so the lawn wasnt so bad for them. It rained and then poured towards the end of the hour. Hope everyone had fun tonight. Mackey was on the porch and he always does. We saw a boxer dressed as a ghost and a german shepherd hanging w/ his kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the new little cabinet put into the hall. It easily holds six 12-packs, two or three six packs, and at least a couple of two-liter bottles. Should be enough. I just love it! So glad I decided to try it. The shape and size are perfect for that space. I love when stuff works out so great completely by accident.

Here's some random pics, Pinetree. I like looking at pics too. It helps me get to know people better.

This is a fatty with a full bacon weave.

Smokin' a fatty on the Cobb.

Oooo, yum, fatty!

Beaded hat bands I did for Husby's hats.

Beaded mocs.

More beaded mocs.

The shelf we put in our Aliner. We thought we'd hate it but now wouldn't want to be without it. All the stuff attached to it is some kind of dispenser so once that A wall is lifted into place, almost everything we need for having a quick meal is right there.

Sugar in Yellowstone.

Sugar in Utah, on the Snake River.

Stuff I cooked for a Dutch oven cooking demo I gave at our local state park. The pizza was baked on the lid of the DO with the pot flipped over it, upside down. Lid pizza always wows 'em.

Our former Palomino Mustang at Buffalo Bill State Park, Cody, Wyoming, on the shore of the Buffalo Bill reservoir, with the Absaroka Mountains in the background. One of my all-time favorite trip pics.

Bad pic of beading I did to turn a tiny purse into a camera bag.

Hope that'll hold you for a while!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, we had the chipper, the hall cabinet, and a little metal rack thing with wire basket pull-outs Husby bought for $2 to put under his desk for storage, and that was all we had in the back of the truck. It was supposed to be sunny today but it was misty and drizzly all day so we couldn't put much stuff back there, another reason I was happy we didn't find big pieces of furniture. We wrapped the hall cabinet in a tarp to protect it, so that wasn't a worry. Everything else had to go into the back seat including two of the truck bed covers and our lunch cooler. We really didn't buy that much but we had fun doing it! It was worth the drive and the time. We were there three hours.

Husby practically turned green when I showed up at the truck with the little end table and bulletin board and informed him I had another cabinet to put in yet too. LOL! He had just loaded that heavy chipper and the bed of the Avalanche is so darn small. He was thinking I had bought a big entertainment center or something. Poor guy. It's too bad I enjoy scaring him like that.

We thought $125 was quite reasonable for the chipper. We can't find that model so it's probably an older one, but Troy-Bilt stuff is pretty expensive new.

I love buying cheap stuff like the little hall cabinet. That way, I can afford to try it out and if it doesn't work, I can donate it and not feel bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    But then as I was making supper, the darn thing came strolling out from under the stove while I was making supper. So after a while, the vole strolled out from under the fridge and went the length of the kitchen and family room while Husby tried to get the dog to come get it instead of catching it himself. So the little beast escaped again, and we didn't know where it was.
    If I had to see that thing all day coming in and out of rooms, you would've had to peel me off the ceiling! You are fierce, SD! lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grammarbug123 View Post
    Well, the new meds have thrown me for a loop. I couldn't even think about driving, so I didn't go to the food pantry today. I certainly hope it balances out. I feel like the world is moving in slow motion. I realized that I hadn't paid the house insurance and it won't go in until tomorrow. Hope they don't cancel on me. The bill got mixed up with other papers and my brain is not working so well these days. Did find out that we qualify for disability on our property taxes. It allows us to make 4 payments instead of one big one. That will help some. I did manage to do a little needlepoint and reading today. Finished a Macomber book and starting Sheryl Woods tonight. I never thought I would struggle like this.
    I can empathize. Hopefully it's just the first few weeks of your meds and then you won't be so foggy. I started paying my bills the minute I get them if it is reasonable at that moment to log on and pay them. I cannot trust my brain to put them in the right spot, or throw one out with the junk mail by mistake or whatever.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Dmom and i had a spat yesterday about her pressuring me. She always gives me a hard time if i mention the kids not going to the Dr. or not having ins. and i usually shush it off. But yesterday I told her. I mean its not like I can tell young adults what and what not to do. She's always like well you should tell them. I cant tell them anything. So I just let it go today and start fresh. She is forgetting a lot of memories these days and thats disturbing enough.
    maybe tell her to try to get through to them of it bothers her that much? that's what I say when my mother is on me for how disrespectful my DD is to me, we have a counselor, I am doing what she says and I am not going to fight with her or let her get my goat by responding like I used to. If she doesn't like it, she can tell DD, it's her issue, not mine. She gets mad at me but it's hard enough dealing with teens maturing, the last thing I need is to be nagged with completely useless advice from her.

My DB is super-techy, he made amazing money part-time while in HS in the 80s, he picked up whatever the heck he needed to know to enable him to have some very good jobs. However, it drives my mom nuts that he went to college for 4 years but got mono the last semester and did not complete a phys ed credit and an elective credit, thus not ever getting his totally finished degree because of refusing to do badminton and basket weaving. I can see a parent being upset, especially since they took out loans for a State school. That was 23 yrs ago, she still nags him to do those two credits or rather she bitches to me about it. Like his 23 year old college credits are even worth anything and he could just do those 2 credits and still graduate! Where he is in his field, this degree is meaningless, it never once affected him career-wise. If I knew this was going to drive me crazy with one of my kids for 23 yrs, I would've made him start to pay me back for every penny of college (he could've afforded that) and then I would hopefully have dropped it. She lets it eat away at her.

DS didn't go to college this year, his first year. It made me so upset and then I realized I was acting like her. He's a man now, in charge of his own life, I am a resource and a safe place to land but I cannot force my choices on him. He bailed to the ex's when he didn't like rules at home when he was 15. And that's when the no college stuff started. My ex had a very laid back approach to life, he had a free ride to Miami University and left after two semesters to tour in a blue grass band. He ended up in a moderately successful band that he still tours in, but it took until his 30s for him to realize health insurance and retirement are important so he went back to school. DS is a lot like him. He is going to luthier school in the fall (1yr, no degree) and then hopefully apprentice somewhere. I told ex if he didn't go to college, we had to make this year hard, must work full-time, pay room and board, pay for car and insurance. he was not going to loaf on my dime. He'd see how little money is left, how hard work is and choose college the next year. Ex let him loaf and paid for everything. Yet somehow, DS did it on his own, he is working more than full-time, says he is paying for luthier school, contributes to a 403B (will not talk about it but OMG he heard me on that! lol), has become some type of vegan I've never heard of, lost wt, and exercises daily. I have (almost) let it go that his plans are dice-y and that I really want him to try college.

rambling brain, sorry...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ilovechocolate View Post
    Bernice, I'm on an antidepressant and intend to be for the rest of my life. Fortunately my doctor has never suggested going off it. Hope you can get your situation settled. Way to go on the organizing!
    The specialists keep blaming everything on antidepressants, so shrink said, "let's just try tapering down, if you can't, we'll stop, and I'll start you on a new one that does not cause any of the things going on with you." I had to stop once in the tapering, it was too much, then I think the new med kicked in so I am almost tapered off the other one. The depression is worse during all this, anxiety, etc but if this will get the specialists to see my meds were not causing me to forget my own phone number and make my BP inaudible and focus on medical issues, I guess it will have been worth it. But I will not agree to stay like this for long, figure out the medical piece and give me back the first antidepressants to work in many, many years.

The long term disability company made me re-do IQ and Memory testing because I had done so poorly. This was all day testing, it was so hard and frustrating to not be able to do very simple things that involve memory or concentration. But a lot of it was exactly the same as the testing my doc had ordered so I think I did better. Which is good for me except if I did better, LTD will drop me and I'll be income-less until hopefully getting SSDI in 14 months. Ack!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-thats the whole point here too. I never pay retail unless its ABSOLUTELY unescapable and even then it kills me. The item is generally no better or worse slightly used. And 10%-25% of the original price lets me trade up. And try stuff w/o fear. And admittedly the thrill of the hunt and a present from the universe when something I desire magically appears lol
    And yes Troy built stuff is awesome. I have drooled over the Troy built rototiller for years.
    oops. dogs are back. Gotta go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

HAPPY MORNING AFTER AN EXTRA HOUR OF SLEEP!!!!!!

Hope everyone is feeling bouncy this morning. Figured I’d check in. Yesterday we managed to get through washing the curtains and rehanging them on the windows, mostly anyway. This ended up being a little more time consuming than anticipated. We have double traverse rods in the living room that we never really hung the right way years ago when we put them up. It’s been a pain not having them work and everything catching when you go to move the curtains so mostly we just keep them closed. I told DH we were fixing them. I think we have them completely functioning now but I didn’t get the valances back up yet and that will be the true test to see if the outer curtains “catch”. Managed to make a pot of black-eyed peas to use as “no time to cook” meals this week, in addition to dinner and sent DH to our friends house with pumpkin bread and brownies.

For today, since I never did make it through the budget stuff yesterday that will be priority along with today being my long run day. After that I’ll putter and see where it takes me.

SD – I LOVE the lighter moccasins and the beaded camera bag. They are gorgeous! …and glad you had fun at the sale. The wood chipper sounds like a wonderful deal.

Bernice – I hope the disability stuff kicks in without too much of a hassle. We are kind of in process with this for DH right now. It’s VERY frustrating. (I know sounds weird to be “kind of” in process but we are. We’re attempting to be pro-active and he has started the filing and being rejected process as we’ve been advised but before we really know where he will be at once he’s done with all the medical procedures that are on the table.)

Pinetree – Glad you were feeling a little more energetic. Hope it continues. LOL about your friend. I have a sister-in-law who is like that. She gets pretty offended though if we try to point out something isn’t accurate so we’ve all learned how to “chuckle to ourselves” and enjoy the moment.

Sending good thoughts to all!!!!

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit deer......that bead work is amazing!! Looks like it take a lot of time and patience!

Just spent half an hour catching up with the reading here.......but I had the time since the cat woke me up at 4! Time change got her......she thought it was five and thought it was a hubby work day so she was just trying to be helpful. Why is it on the weekdays I want to sleep in so badly but weekends I am wide awake!!

Been keeping up with things pretty well around here! Better than ever I do believe. Decluttering has definitely made it easier. Still working on the organizing. Got most the garden pulled up yesterday.

Today the nieces and I are going swimming and pita pit while hubby watches the Seahawks game this afternoon, church this morning, cat care 2x at the rescue so that will pretty much take care of today!
    Have a great day everyone!