2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 28
Page 28 of 271 FirstFirst ... 18252627282930313878128 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stayed up late researching frugal ways I dont already use. Hit the biblical frugal ways and found a few.

to do
    -bedding
    -research more frugality
    -work on pantry
    -go to the bank
    -make something like bread or a sweet for DH
    -vaccumn fan upstairs
    any 3 of these

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to clean stuff but I'm sure all I'll get done all day is be nervous about the inspection. So much depends on it. I just hope it all goes well.

But I need to:

~clear off end table by the couch.
    ~move spare microwave somewhere.
    ~make list of concerns for inspector.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well felt so good I over did it, really paying for it today, will rest and try again tomorrow.

Where did everyone go?

Hope everyone is out enjoying this warm weather, have a good one!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Take it easy, Pinetree! We don't need anymore medical dramas on these boards, thank you very much!

I've mostly been laying low, stewing about the house situation here. But we're loving the warm weather we've been having, knowing we have a lot of winter left here so have to enjoy the heat while we can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

heading out the do some snooping. I told Dh I needed to go oooout!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pinetree, so glad to hear that your tests came back okay. What a relief that must be for you! I finally made the cauliflower pizza tonight. I liked it a lot even though it was a bit moist in the middle, maybe I didn't drain it well enough? (I thought I got it pretty good) I put mushrooms and green peppers on it since that is what I had available.

SD, when is your inspection?

After work today I took beastie to the park. It was so nice to go and walk but had to stay on the main road going in/out of the park, the trails are way to muddy and snowy still. I was pleased that she still walked so well after not having gone for any walks for a few months. That's the bad part of living in the country, you can't just walk out of your house and take the dog for a walk. Some people do but I don't trust not getting hit by a car.

The weather is supposed to stay warmer here, 40's & 50's, so the snow is melting fast and the ground is still too frozen to soak it all up so SD, you won't be the only one living on lake front!

Friday
    1 - exercise (been doing good with this)
    2 - take beastie to park
    3 - dust house/clean kitchen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The inspection just ended, except for the radon test. We'll find out about that on Tuesday.

The inspector said the same exact things I've been saying, that it's a very solid house and it has good bones. He figured out the moisture stains in the basement are because the block foundation was skim-coated and it shouldn't have been. That, and the roof needs gutters and downspouts, and certain areas need to be graded next to the foundation so the water runs away. He thinks DryLock would take care of it. It's difficult to find a house with a bone dry basement in this town, and the inspector said that basement was as good as any.

He said the cracked plaster on the main floor is typical of a house that age, cosmetic and not structural, so nothing to worry about. He also said we could just cover the ceilings with something like knotty pine T&G to cover the cracks, which IMO would be gorgeous in a northwoods home and we've been sort of planning to do that in the LR and bedrooms anyway, with possibly tin tile ceilings in the kitchen and dining room.

He said we shouldn't paint the kitchen cabinets because it's not possible to get that beautiful clear birch lumber anymore. I was thinking about painting them, but first I think we should give them a good cleaning and maybe put on new hardware. I think that would make a big difference. He inspected all the cabinets and said that birch wears like iron and it's all as good as the day it was installed 65 years ago. The condition they are in and the beautiful workmanship of them should save us thousands over buying new cabinets.

The best news is, the house needs a new furnace. We're hoping we can get a price reduction so we can convert from fuel oil to high efficiency propane. But of course the sellers might not agree. Bottom line is, regardless of what they decide, we will end up with some kind of brand new furnace. Hard to beat that, even if it turns out it's not exactly the type of heating system we'd like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Double post.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never got on the computer yesterday, but I got everything done! I fixed my oven today and cleaned behind it(yuck! this job is getting added to the monthly list!) Hubby wanted to call a repair guy, but I fixed it myself and saved us the $150 fee.

Pinetree, good news...but please don't push yourself too hard. We worry.

Tomorrow:

1. One load of laundry.
    2. Dump and wash the litter boxes.
    3. Wash the basement floor. I really should do this more often...I just never think of it.

Have a great day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, that's good news about the inspection. Birch cabinets? We don't have birch around here so to get such cabinets it would probably cost a fortune. They are very pretty-----cleaning and hardware just might do the trick.

pinetree, what Jen and SD said--take it easy. But it's wonderful that you feel so much better.

We ended up doing some spur-of-the-moment errands yesterday so I didn't get much done around here. Today it's wet and cold again so I plan on doing some baking.

For Friday:

1) Bake some yummy things
    2) Mop
    3) Laundry
    4) Reset the downstairs

Have a good day, everybody. Stay warm and healthy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We spent a lot of time talking about the new house last night, as you can imagine. We also did some online research regarding costs, and looking at how soon the new items that have been added to the must-do list for that house would have to be done. The report we got, which was confirmed this morning, was not all rosy. After a lot of thought, we have decided to activate the inspection contingency and back out of the deal. I hate it, but it's the only thing that makes financial sense. With all the additional expensive items that would have to be dealt with right away, it would put us way over the money we've allotted and we just can't do that. Even if the sellers came down on the price, paid for the furnace, whatever, we still don't feel comfortable with the deal.

So we're out of that, unfortunately, or fortunately. That's the hard part, what's best? But we've concluded we need to focus on the house we have for now while we lick our wounds and decide again what path to take.

After I had informed our realtor we don't want to proceed with buying the house, I got a call from the broker/surveyor who was checking on the idea of us keeping some lakeshore portion of our property when we sold this place. He said he would do whatever we wanted, but in his experience it could really hurt the sale of this place and he wouldn't recommend it. He also said lakeshore in general is a tough sell right now, and that buyers are being a lot pickier, even though the market is picking up a little. So that door is closed now, too. After I heard that, I felt a lot better about backing out of the house in town. I feel bad for the sellers because we did go into it in good faith and fully intended to go through with the sale, and we feel bad for the realtors involved who put in their time to help us up to this point, and the banker who helped us and then fell all over herself this morning offering us different ways they could help us spend our money, but in the end we have to do what we feel is best for us. The whole thing does make me sad though because we really do like the house.

Ah, well, Scarlett O'Hara was right. Tomorrow is another day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, better to be sad now then regret the purchase later. I'm sorry though that it didn't work out. Maybe you will find it's for the best.

2/3 today. Did the dusting, cleaning of the kitchen and worked out before work, don't think I'm going to make it to take beastie to the park though.

Saturday
    1 - paint sample swatches on wall in office
    2 - laundry/cleaning up the house a little
    3 - vacuum/clean car

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, aw, so sorry it didnt work out for you, the right one will come along!

RABBIT so glad to see ya! Its warming up here so quick, your mud will be gone soon!

Jen, really gald you are doing better and having fun with your furbabies

FW, thanks for the info on your Mom, take care of yourself

ilc, whatcha baking? I love yummy stuff!!

Ready for more Dr news? Man this is getting old!! Had to go in to the DR. this morning, hooray, now I have influenza!! Wanted to give me tamaflu, then decided against it, so back to bed and cant do much again for 4/5 days, tho he gave me clearance to eat what I want for the next 5 days, so here come the toast and jelly!! The stomach isnt taking much right now, I lost 3 pounds in 2 days, the hard way!!

Going to sit in the sunshine all weekend eating toast and drinking tea and honey!!

Hope you enjoy your weekend as much as I am!!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

went to the Dr. and not much else. My BP is down from the weight loss. I am tired from the 30 mile each way drive. Van did fine but the stress of an old van is tiring

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Met with our realtor to cancel the purchase agreement. She said she showed her husband, also a very experienced realtor, the inspection report this morning and he thought we're doing the right thing to get out of the contract.

We're going to pour our time, energy, and money into our current place and see what solutions we can find to the problems here. If something else comes up we might be interested in, our realtor will let us know. Our banker said we have 90 days to reactivate the loan application, so a lot of that work is already done in case we need a loan after all.