2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 46
Page 46 of 271 FirstFirst ... 36434445464748495696146 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sugar and carbs are the same thing, because sugar is a refined carb. I like your doc's approach better, because if you're watching carbs you'll automatically be watching sugar, too. It seems like a lot of people don't realize that eating stuff like breads and crackers is just as bad as eating too much candy or cookies. I don't think the medical community does a good job of educating people about stuff like that, in general.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ever feel like the universe is working against you? Yeah, we all do. But this week it's like the universe is finally smiling down on me and everything is working in my favor in my weight loss attempts.

First, my diet buddy sent me a huge care package earlier this month, which included a Fitbit that helps encourage me to rack up lots more steps every day than I have been. She also subscribed to WW magazine for me, sent a new cookbook, and gave me a couple of exercise kits from WW. I still can't get over her thoughtfulness. The Fitbit has also renewed my interest in our state park hiking club, which we haven't done much with the past few years, so that's another big plus. Then over the weekend I was informed about the sixteen-week Prevent program through our health insurance that should help me develop better food and exercise habits, so I signed up for that and was accepted. As if that wasn't nice enough, then tonight Husby and I were discussing that we needed to give geocaching another try as a way to get out and about and walk more. We monkeyed around with it a little about ten years ago but never quite figured it out. The GPS got put away and we haven't thought much about it since. Now tonight, I clicked over to our state parks website to look for a park nearby that we could take a picnic to for a day trip next month, and what did I find? This!
    Geocaching Call of the Wildflowers: Minnesota DNR
    What perfect timing! We love this kind of thing and it's another way to encourage ourselves to go and hike more.

I put a note on my calendar to attend a geocaching interpretive program at a nearby state park in June. I hope I can learn how to use our GPS better. Our state parks didn't allow geocaching when we first tried it, but now they do and since we love visiting our parks, this will be one more thing to help me in my quest for better health. The wildflower club and hiking club will be hand in glove with my weight loss and exercise goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ta-done! I got the new sewing table extension set up and I love it! I'd have never bought it but my resident enabler encouraged me to buy it for my birthday, so I did. I had wanted the one made by Viking when I got my new machine a couple years ago, but resisted then because it was $200 or maybe $300 and nothing special, and I was already spending a couple grand on the machine and other accessories, so I skipped it at the time. I'm so glad I waited because this one is sooooooo much nicer! I do think I'm going to have to switch tables though, and use a larger one with the new extension. But that's okay, just a matter of getting stuff moved around. I need to get in there and straighten up some more anyway.

I also found the big roll of hook tape I thought for sure I had, but couldn't find. How it's managed to hide in the little stack of stuff it was in I don't know, but now I don't have to order another 50-yard roll. So that's lucky.

Today:

1. Make salad to go with the steak tonight.
    2. Call local state park about wildflower geocaching program.
    3. Call Custer state park to find out the best time to see the bison, donkey, deer, and pronghorn babies this spring.
    4. 2,000 steps.
    5. Track food.

I've decided my macrame stuff has gone wild. It should all be together but I keep finding it all over. I have the cord in a tote but it's full and too hard to find things in, and I have rings, books, and other accessories that should be stored with it that aren't. I'm thinking maybe a nice big suitcase would make a good storage container for all of it. I'll have to poke around and see what I have. There must be a good, logical solution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen, my brother has to take an insulin shot each day and he cannot have ANY white-flour product since i'ts nothing but sugar in a different form. No biscuits, pancakes, etc. It turns to sugar in the body.

Glad you are getting some stuff done in spite of feeling bad.

SD, you have a very nice weight-loss buddy!

pinetree, been thinking of you.

I couldn't go to my school and proctor today because DH had an appointment he wanted me to go to with him today and he didn't tell me till last night at 10:30. I'm going back next Tuesday and Wednesday, however.

For Thursday:

1) Appointment with DH DONE
    2) Mop my nasty floor
    3) Catch up on recording expenditures
    4) Clean out litter boxes
    5) Revise menus for the next few days
    6) Do some weeding
    7) Enjoy this perfect spring weather

Have a lovely day, everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, yes, I have a great diet buddy, not just because of the stuff she sometimes sends me.

You explained about the refined white flour products better than I did. The way the body processes that stuff is the same result as eating sugar and causes the same highs and lows that mess everything up and makes a person hungry and therefore makes you eat more, lather, rinse, repeat, vicious cycle.

I called Custer SP out in South Dakota and they already have several baby bison and one baby donkey, so they're starting to hatch out there. I suspect when I tell Husby, he'll have the same "aaawwwww" moment I did and we'll be off. Who can resist newly minted baby critters? Especially ones we can't see here at home. Luckily our favorite campground has the water turned on all year so showers would be available. So today's to-do list is out the window and I'll be doing some preliminary trip planning, just in case.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Deep into cleaning today. Threw out 2 garbage bags of clutter.Need to get in the file cabinet but prob. next week. Wish I could burn here but I have to shred.
    Upon the step stool vaccumning the top shelves and wrecking some spiders days.
    got another shelf completed and working in the sink in there and planning the next area. Ahh! the endless project. Can't imagine why I avoided it.
    Dh and I are over stressed and edgy so this should wear me out!
    He was put on hold for 3 real good jobs, hasn't heard from several more,one that wants him has no steady work until June just the piece meal stuff he's doing. And the 1 he accepted starts Monday for considerably less than he was making and has weird self funded ins. But we are grateful because it's work and so many other don't have any and would about kill for a job. Ironically, we are finally eligible for Unemployment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have to be careful with my carbs, I think 45mg a meal, salt MUST be under 2000mg a day, calories are at 2000, I am finding it really hard to find any kind of bread, even wheat with low carbs.mine is really picky on the carbs too, salt and calories are not to help diabetic, its for my heart.

anyway, got to talk to my wonderful step MIL yesterday, I really love her alot. She is so kind and understanding, she will be 83.

I got all my list done.. and am quite tired today, but must keep going, will just do less physical stuff today

Thurs
    grocery list
    list for DH Dr.
    clean off table

have a good day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think avoiding salt is the hardest of all the common diet restrictions.

You may find some recipes in the South Beach Diet cookbooks. Maybe your library has them. Some of them have higher sodium because they use stuff like deli meats, but you might find something tasty or be able to figure out a substitute. South Beach emphasizes the right carbs rather than no carbs, and limits them. SBD has recipes and ideas for eating things like 'sandwiches' that don't use any bread. What I've found is that often sandwich ingredients can be served on a bed of lettuce instead of on bread and it's just as good. You can use homemade salad dressings to help control the sodium, or the usual condiments you have on a sandwich if that meets the sodium guidelines you need.

I found my camping checklists, at least I think I did. It still seems like there should be more around. My problem is I start this stuff and forget about it, and then start again. I have two binders with lists of home projects that need to be done, so I'm going to combine those into one today and then figure out where to put them so I know where they are at all times. What a time waster to redo stuff and not even realize it and then not be able to find any of the copies when I need them. Just when I think I'm starting to get this place organized, I run into some gaping hole in the organization that needs to be plugged. I need to start a section in the binder for camper mods because that's scattered all over too.

I thought I'd do trip planning to see babies, but what did I find? The trip already planned. It's even mapped out on the travel calendar. Ugh. I just have to Mapquest it for mileage and time. Which I think has already been done somewhere, but who knows where? I vaguely recall we were all hot to take this trip and then some things changed, namely the whole second house fiasco that derailed everything. We're finding it hard to get all our plans back up on the rails and running again, and I suppose that's why these things are so chaotic now. But we'll get there. This will be a tentatively planned trip though, based on my mom's health issues. But it'll be easy to cancel since we aren't making any reservations, so I suspect Husby will want to go for it and see what happens. I'm okay with that. Vacation time is already scheduled, and if we have to cancel the trip, it'll just be more time for us to work on the projects around here.

ETA: ROFL! I called Husby at work and said, "There's a baby donkey."
    Him: "Yeah?"
    Me: "And several baby bison."
    Him: "Then I guess the decision is made."

Give us any excuse to go out west and look what happens!
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 04-23-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh popped back in. On the way to his side job he got called to an interview w/ BCBS. Now I would hope they have good ins. lol
    He said something about a job in Chicago also[. I decided to congratulate him and and carry on w/ the pantry. I am not getting excited until offers are made w/ all the details. This up and down isn't easy to live w/ but at least he is getting called.
    All makes you reevaluate what you own and the order of the place for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey everyone,

I am so sorry I didn't check in earlier Ilc, I have been reading more of the old posts on FV, together with the new ones and I forgot to check this one. All of the papers for the house are sent in, all bank papers are signed. So right now everything is at the notary. Hopefully he will get his work done by the end of June. Yes, buying a house takes a lot of time inhere, is it the same in the USA?

I am slowly plugging along, but doing the extra stuff for the house on top my normal chores and work has been a bit of a challenge to be honest. Especially as I have been working extra hours in the new system, which has less support for my group. Which is why I have been not so good in my chores. I had 4 days off earlier, compensation for extra shifts, so now everything is more or less ok again. Sorry I am falling asleep before the keyboard, so I ll catch up reading and post more tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, it can take a couple of months to buy a house here, too. Longer if you can't pay cash and have to get a mortgage from the bank. It's stressful but it'll all be over eventually.

We were hoping to move our vacation up and leave Tuesday, but Husby's co-worker is on call to his family right now because of some bad health issues with a family member. He may have to leave work with no notice, and since he and Husby are the only two people who do the work they do, someone needs to be there to handle it all. Our vacation isn't important so we'll wait. It should actually be better for us so we don't have to rush through getting the camper de-winterized and doing some mods and getting everything ready for the season. Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll get the AAR (Add A Room) done for the trailer so we can use that to contain the dogs instead of spending every waking moment untangling them from each other while they're on leashes tied to the camper.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I should have been clearer in my post. I did mean starches. I tend to lump them in to "carbs" and not pay attention. I do love my doctor, though. Before I went to her, my A1C was routinely over 8...sometimes 9! She is really into the idea of moderation rather than forbidding things. I am so much better at moderation....if you tell me I can't have something, I get hungry for it immediately!

2/3 today I didn't get to the fridge. I just got so tired.

Tomorrow:

1. Clean out the fridge.
    2. 30 minutes in the basement.
    3. Menu plan for next week.

Have a great day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't mop yesterday.

For Friday:

1) MOP
    2) More weeding
    3) Take DD's car to the shop
    4) Clean bathrooms
    5) Work on next month's finances with DH

Hope everyone has a productive, pain-free day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

worked like crazy yesterday but all in one spot
    -dw
    -fold jeans and put away
    -work in the pantry for 2 more shelf recovery
    -maybe go to Meijers and Sams Club

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm determined on our next vacation to stay on my food plan. So I've been spending the morning looking at new recipes and putting together a small cookbook of WW recipes to have in the camper. We eat way too much junk food and salty food when we travel, and that's just stupid. I'm finding a bunch of good ideas so I'm feeling better about it all. I'm going to embrace the idea of salads in Ziploc bags, for starters.

Today I'm devoting to trip planning and making some lists of stuff we need to get done on the house and camper. I need to get my thoughts organized about this stuff so we can make the best use of our time. Also need to get a grocery list together for our weekly errands today.

Doesn't seem like much but it'll take some time.