2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 53
Page 53 of 271 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103153 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sota is very soft, even moreso now that about half of his food is homemade, real food, and the rest is Iams.

We think Sugar is a pretty doggy too. Sota hasn't even been here a year yet, but it's like the two of them have always been together.

Husby wanted to walk down to the neighbors' garage sale, so we did. Good thing too. I'm still so tired I probably wouldn't have gotten my steps in otherwise. When we got down by the dock, we realized the beaver had been hard at work. The tree that was down which we had moved has had all the branches stripped off and the log was gnawed in half. It looked like lunch had been had because there were some de-barked branches in the lake. We're wondering where the busy little guy is taking all his loot, and if he's going to come back and get the tree trunk now. We were wishing we had seen him at his work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Double post.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We need to borrow him SD. I have gotten behind on the branch clearing.
    I think its going to be an animal year here. Dh got a large box turtle back down to the swamp and now we've had a red tail hanging around,an owl almost scooped int o Dh and I swear we had an eagle (lg. w/ a white head) fly over today. We are 60 miles S. of a bird sanctuary but really dont have a population here. We do have a turkey buzzard though so it seems the size is increasing lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think he could do the job! He sure sheared off the branches on our tree. Wish we had seen him. I bet we'll see more otters and beavers the more we get out with our HydroBikes.

We saw a cute tiny brown snake the size of a pencil yesterday. It apparently died in mid-wiggle because we couldn't tell it was dead till I touched it with my shoe and it didn't move. We felt bad because the only way we can think of that it would die in that position was we must have run it over with the truck. It didn't look squished though, so I don't know.

We have eagles here and loads of turkey vultures. Sometimes it's hard to tell the vultures from the eagles till we see the heads. Immature bald eagles don't have the white heads and tails, but you can tell from the shape of their heads. Vultures' heads are more pointy while bald eagles' are massive and round. We never get tired of hearing and seeing eagles.

I was out at the nearby Indian reservation a few years ago and standing outside with a group of friends. We were watching about six large birds circling and circling and trying to figure out what it meant for all those eagles to be just circling around like that, since eagles are sacred. An Indian friend of ours who lived out there came out to find out what we thought was so fascinating, so we asked him what it could mean to see all those eagles. He gently informed us ignorant white folks that we were watching turkey vultures circling over a set of Dumpsters we couldn't see through the trees. So much for sacred eagles in flight! We were all ROFL over that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SORRY cute and snake dont go in the same sentence. Greta my former shepherd collie used to play w/ them until they got "all broked" Are you sure the dog didnt just insure it internally?

Off to the fair today to see vintage cars and "old stuff". Dh want to sample a Mi. craft beer or 2. Or nope. I dont want to poor Dh in a car for a new job tomorrow. nope.
    I am so happy. I heard from Ds for the 1st time in 3 weeks. Connection was shoddy-which is funny because 1 of his 2 jobs is communication officer! (JK he cant control the sad systems). But he is doing well. I guess he should be back in 6 months-ish.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No dogs near the snake, but there are other critters that attack snakes so who knows. But given the position it was in, like a live snake would be as it wiggled along, I think we must have killed it. Poor little guy.

I've been over at the Prevent site because my program started today. I'm so excited! This could mean a whole new life for me, and it's coming at the perfect time, when I'm highly motivated to lose weight and change bad habits, and when I'm already started down that road with WW. It's going to be the perfect complementary program to go along with WW. There's a personal coach for our group of 18 people, so none of us will get lost in the shuffle like on a massive site with thousands of participants. So far it seems very well set up. My biggest problem so far is they want me to track minutes of exercise, when I've been doing well tracking steps. But that's okay. I need to bump up my steps by another thousand per day and I was going to start that next week, but I'll just start tomorrow and do a half hour walk five days per week to help me get in my 4,000 steps . The guidelines for this program are based on the Diabetes Prevention Program, so it's founded in solid science. I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic and I'd like to keep it that way. This seems like a great opportunity to make major improvements in my overall health. My weight loss goal for this program, which lasts four months, is sixteen pounds. I can do that!

Found out our neighbors are feeding the pregnant doe and her two cohorts, too. It's so dry the wild food is dismal and we can't stand it that they look hungry. We're such suckers. Usually we're long done with feeding them. Most of the herd has moved on for the summer, but these three keep hanging around.

Today's to-do:

1. Get trailer moved up by house.
    2. Find AAR and bring it and camper awning into the house.
    3. Finish awning on house so we can use it.
    4. Make something with fennel before it rots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw, you are SO right about "cute" and "snake." I hate all snakes, even the ones I understand are "good," but they are evil-looking things. So creepy. Even the little ones. ALL of them. Every. Single. One.

SD, a few months ago I watched a show on Nature on PBS about beavers. It was really interesting. They are fast workers. And chewers! I'm glad someone is feeding the deer. We've seen a mama and her two babies a couple of times and we always throw out veggie and fruit scraps, etc., plus we bought a mineral lick block for them. So gorgeous.

pinetree, I hope Will and Kate will name the baby Elizabeth. It's such a gorgeous name--my mom's middle name was Elizabeth and so is our DD's. I wanted to name DD Elizabeth Victoria but DH said she'd never learn how to spell her name since it's so long so we settled on Elizabeth for her middle name. Could you believe Kate went home so quickly? When I had my babies I enjoyed being waited on in the hospital, but she gets waited on everywhere, so I don't guess it would be such a treat. I think the new little princess looks like George when he was tiny.

Got all yesterday's list done except for laundry. DH is having to do some wiring for the new garage door we're getting. We had our lawn mower and a blower stolen a couple of weeks ago so we're having to fork up the $$$ for a garage door. It was something we'd wanted but not quite yet....oh well, we got 18 months with 0% interest financing so it's going to be relatively easy to pay for. I ended up helping him yesterday plus got to legitimately watch the new neighbors move in.

For Sunday:

1) Church DONE
    2) Surprise party for nephew 3:00
    3) Put away clean laundry (from yesterday)
    4) Watch Call the Midwife 8:00
    5) Enjoy the weather

Have a great Sunday, ladies.

Oh, Aldi has a Fibit-kind of thing this week for thirty-something dollars. I have no idea if it's any good or not, but it is less expensive, that's for sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't say I'd want to cuddle up with a snake or have one as a pet, but they don't bother me. Husby jumps like a little girl, which cracks me up. Squirrels chewed some holes in the hollow rubber seal on the bottom of our garage door, and one day when he opened the door and a two foot garter snake fell out of the seal. I don't think it even touched him but he was running around like he was on fire. I could not stop laughing! Our snakes are all harmless. I might feel differently if I had to move back out where there are poisonous snakes.

We like wildlife shows, too. And stuff like Northwoods Law, which we originally tuned into to see if it was about our area, but it's set in Maine, which is fun too. Maine seems very similar to our area except instead of a really big ocean, we have a really big lake here.

Got the fennel salad made. Some of the fennel fronds fell on the floor and Sota just woofed them down. Who knew he would eat fennel? OTOH, knowing what a Hoover he is, who would be surprised?

We're not supposed to feed deer here but it's not illegal yet, so we do. Lots of people do up here. Lots of us live here specifically to enjoy the wildlife, and feeding critters is part of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, look at those beautiful blue eyes!! My Trouble, 3 legged dude, has blue eyes just like that, you can see into his soul...
    You can keep the snakes, live, dead doesnt matter, even a night crawler scares the bejeebers out of me! lol
    Thank you so much for the recipies!! I am going to try them soon!

The kids got their fitbits on and running, they had over 6000 steps,, lol I had about 100,, I have alot of work to do!! Man those thngs do everything, even track their sleep!

ilc, I really like Elizabeth too, I am really hoping they dont go for Alice. I was really surprised Kate went home too! I thought they just came out to show off the baby, was shocked when she got in the car! The baby also looks like shes alot smaller than 8 lbs, and yes I think she looks like her brother. Guess we are going to have a to wait a couple days.
    Have a good time at your surprise party!

FW, so glad you heard from your son, how long is he over there? Hope the time goes fast for you.

I am looking into using avacados instead of butter, that might let me eat alot more foods, I did find a cookie yesterday that doesnt use any baking powder, so am going to try that one soon. oh yum, a cookie! Now if I can replace the sugar with stevia, I will have it made!!

Does anyone know how to replace or cook without baking soda ( mostly salt) and baking powder ( high in salt)? I dont think its possible, but thought it was worth asking. I guess things come out flat instead of rising. Its really hard trying to keep my salt at 2000 per day.. I really need to get with it and find different things I can eat.

Todays list
    clean bathroom
    wipe down counter tops
    clean top of stove
    make dinner
    and maybe a nap somewhere in there, I'm going SLow, I dont want to over do it!

I haven't felt this good in I cannot remember when,,, Its suppose to rain for the next 7 days, so I am going to be out singing in the rain!!! I might even dance alittle!!

Have a wonderful day, friends!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pinetree, I'm with you about the name Alice.

Stevia now has a sugar/Stevia blend that's supposed to be good for baking. As to the baking powder/baking soda, I don't know. Is consultation with a dietician available for you? Seems like your doctor could maybe prescribe that, then it would be covered by insurance???

So glad you're doing so much better!

We have 7 straight days of sunshine coming up. We're opposites this week!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hello busy bees a buzzin'.
    Pinetree-supposed to be 9 mo. so 6 more now? Then he's supposed to be off a month. Here? IDK. He was talking about Europe to see a "friend" but IDK if he has restrictions. He should have some cash saved I would think?

ILC-I like Victoria. Where were you when I named my DD? lol But that would have been long. I wanted Elispabeth (gaelic sort of twist). DH was like no way and I was like well, papers are filled out by the mama lol.
    And FYI I had to stay an extra day for observation W/ DD because my first had birth defects beyond viability but w/ DS-in by 10:30 had him by 12:01 and out the next day by noon. And he had just had the circumcision before that that morning. The hospital couldn't apologize enough but the ins. co. was driving the whole thing. I went home and got sick w/ a fever trying to keep up w/ a 2 y.o.
    May have sued them today if it happened,never occurred to me then.

Fair was ok. We forgot his handi-pass so there was arguing and irritation over things. I wish Dh would just show them his leg but he's too polite. We need a second one for my van for him. Then I dropped him and they sent me out a mile and I asked if there was a shuttle and got told out but not In.WHAT?
    We saw a reproduction of the trailer we had when I was little. A lot of Grand Prix cars and such but no Catalina like I had. We finally found the craft beer but it was canned,we were both thinking on tap. But Dh said it was good.
    Mackey and crew got some peanut butter cookies. We ate before we left and took water but I "needed 1/2 a Coke and some fries (DH ate most).
    Dh spoiled himself w/ a new used Seiko (thin) in silver. He out buying a battery now.
    We also stopped at a G.sale and Dh got some tape to mark computer cables? $1.
    He was having a spend day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Guess what I did today! I went bowling! Every Sunday morning, hubby and the kids go bowling, but I haven't been for at least 5 years. I bowled 2 games before it started to be too painful, but I had fun and got some exercise. I think I'll go as often as I can manage it, it's good exercise and I can stop and just watch them if it gets too hard. I am so happy I could do it and deal with the pain.

Tomorrow:

1. Dump and wash the litter boxes.
    2. One load of laundry(towels).
    3. Go back to Tuesday Morning and buy the pinking shears I put back today. They were only $10 for a $40 pair of pinkers, and I was too cheap, but I do need them, so I'll go back.

Have a fantastic day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi all!

We had a lovely day. Took a road trip to one of our state parks and got another stamp for our Maine State Park Passport and took the auto road up the mountain. Had a picnic at the summit. It was nice and sunny with a light breeze. Gorgeous! Poor DH is completely wiped out. He went to bed to nap as soon as we got home.

SD I agree that Maine is very similar to your area with the exception of our ocean and your lake. We do have some large lakes but not quite like yours I don't think. We love watching North Woods Law and it's always fun to go to the meet and greets and meet the wardens. It's a tough job.

Jkuhns glad you had a good time bowling!

FW2 how great you got to talk to your son!!! And the fair sounds fun.

Pine tree I don't know about the subbing baking powder / soda but I like the idea of a nutrition consult that was mentioned. That would probably give you a lot of tips. Your kids must have the same Fitbit that I do. I track my sleep every night. It's nice to see it's improving.

Guess I should go fix myself some supper. I'm not sure when DH will get up and if I get too hungry I'll get a headache and be a crankapotamus for sure!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, someone told me once Sugar had creepy eyes. I had to cover my girl's ears! She's the farthest thing from creepy! Don't overdo with the Fitbit.

I like the name Elizabeth over Alice, too, nothing against anyone named Alice. I've heard the name Diana is in the running, too, but of course that's just odds makers and media speculation. I think Kate has the same grace and elegance Diana did, and she also seems to have the common touch.

I think it's good she went home from the hospital so soon. Otherwise, everyone at the hospital would probably be hounded by media and nut cases. Wasn't there some kind of scandal when George was born, some nurse or someone who released pics? I can't recall now. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I don't know about replacing baking soda. I'm not aware of a good substitute. It's high in sodium, but you don't use very much. Just for a quick estimate, I looked at the original Toll House chocolate cookie recipe, which uses 1 t. soda and makes five dozen. That comes out to 21 mg per cookie. I realize every mg counts, but you could reduce that further by making smaller cookies. We use this cookie scoop that holds a half tablespoon to help make it easier to calculate portions by making the cookies more uniform in size, and to make smaller cookies that make each serving seem like more. Using mini chocolate chips makes it seem like each cookie has more chocolate when they're small, too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stailes...s=cookie+scoop

FWIW, I never add any salt to any baked foods, at least not in the batter or dough, and have never noticed any difference. I do sometimes add salt on top of crackers or stuff like foccacia bread, but I try to avoid it.

FW, I read a tip somewhere about using those square plastic bread bag closures to mark cables. You can write on them with a Sharpie. Just a thought that might work for some applications.

Yea for bowling, Jen! It sounds like fun.

I made a WW salad with the fennel, so that's done. Then we moved the camper up by the house. I cut the lumber to attach to the deck that we'll then attach the awning legs to, but didn't get those installed because the roofer showed up with the bid. We sat on the deck and chatted for about an hour, and showed him our camper and took it down and set it up for him. He was impressed how quick it is, like everyone always is. So all that sort of disrupted our plans for the day, but that's all right. I pressure washed three more dock panels and Husby finished the last two, so those are ready to reinstall.

The bid for the new roof on a 64x28 house with a 12x18 addition is almost $9,000. It could go higher if they open it up and find water damage. But a new roof should fix the leak no one has ever been able to figure out how to fix, and we should never have to worry about doing it again either. The good news is he said the garage roof should be good for another ten years. The other bad news is he wants to do it the week we were going out to South Dakota. We agreed because we're sick of having a leaky roof and because we talked to the dirt guy who is expecting to be out here in early June, so we need to get the gutters on the garage, and if we have to prep for the trip we won't have time before we leave. So no baby bison for us this year. Good thing they'll make more next year so we can go then. Not a big deal. Husby will probably take Memorial Day week off instead so we can get some work done, and maybe go somewhere for a weekend. It will be a relief to get the roof and driveway done, finally.

I got my 3,000 steps in today and was on my feet all afternoon, too. And I'm tracking everything and eating right, the first weekend since ever. I have to control my eating and plan better on weekends, and this weekend I did. We still got stuff done, which I never thought was possible.

Hkr, the big lake I was referring to was Superior. But Red, Vermilion, Winnebigoshish, Leech, Mille Lacs, Rainy, Lake of the Woods, and probably some I'm forgetting are pretty dang big, too. Not like Superior of course.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh yes Lake Superior beats our Moosehead Lake our ocean is pretty big though! LOL!

I've never seen Superior but DH has and said it is very pretty.

I'm amazed at how good Kate looks so soon after giving birth. I was a hot mess for the first day if I remember correctly. I'd love to see them use Diana's name but I bet they'll wind up with Elizabeth.