2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 57
Page 57 of 271 FirstFirst ... 7475455565758596067107157 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, I get it about the cloudy days. It just sucks the energy right out of the world. We're getting some much-needed rain right now and luckily it's supposed to continue through the weekend.

I think I'm mostly ready for tomorrow. The food's about half packed. Have to decide what cooler to take, depending on if we're going to the grocery store or not. Mom's surgery is scheduled for 6:15 AM and we're an hour from the hospital, so we'll have to leave here about 4 AM. Everything takes so much longer when Mom's involved, although it's hard to figure out why. So we get to play dodge 'em with the deer and other critters on the road before dawn, oh, joy. But it'll be even more fun coming home in the middle of all the boat pullers on the worst traffic day of the year up here, Friday afternoon the day before the fishing opener. You can imagine what the fishing opener is like in a state with almost 15,000 lakes. It'll be bumper to bumper like always. Doesn't help the governor is going to be having his opening day twenty miles down the road either.

Got the dog food done and they were very pleased. They get so excited when they get it made fresh instead of frozen and then thawed out. I suppose smelling it being made is probably the real reason they're so excited. Got all the dishes cleaned up already, too. Hate that job, so glad it's done for about three weeks.

No walking for me today. I'm so tired. Sugar got me up at about 12:30 and kept getting up till Husby finally had had enough and put the dog door in about 5. Then the cat had to lay on my head and purr because Husby feeds them at 6. Why don't they lay on his head then?

I made a really good salad for tomorrow. Husby won't like it, since he doesn't like hot food, the wuss. It's beans, rice, and corn and only 6 points, not bad. I figure brown rice and beans should stick with me and hopefully I won't be real hungry for a while after I eat it. It's seasoned with two jalapenos and taco seasoning. I should bring along some sour cream for Husby to mix into his.

Still need to prep taco salad for tonight.

I sure hope it goes well tomorrow. Mom's had so many surgeries without complications, but there's always a risk and she's 86 years old.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Double post. Anyone know where I can purchase a memory?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, that's so great! Congrats! Keep on doing that happy dance! You deserve that!

TVP is textured vegetable protein. It's made from soybeans so it's high in protein but low in cholesterol. Vegans and vegetarians use it for a meat substitute, food manufacturers use it to extend meats in stuff like the WW salisbury steaks I'd like to clone. I don't know all that much about it but might give it a try. I've seen pics of it and it doesn't look tasty but then lots of things don't that are. I guess it absorbs flavors from other foods and seasonings.

Quinoa is a grain. Some people think it has special health qualities so it's a popular fad now. I might have to give that a try, too. I'm hoping the food co-op we go to in the town where my mom is having her surgery will have both. We don't have a whole foods store here anymore. I know Amazon has TVP (there are different kinds, but I think the differences are all about texture) and they probably have quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) at your grocery store. We do here, and we have small, indy grocery stores and no big box places.

Here's the recipe for the bean salad in case anyone cares.

Black Bean and Corn Salad
    1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can whole corn, rinsed and drained
    2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
    2 plum tomatoes, diced
    1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 c. cooked brown rice, optional

Seasoning:
    1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
    2 T. lime juice
    1 T. olive oil
    2 t. taco seasoning mix
    Combine salad ingredients in bowl. In small bowl, combine seasoning ingredients, pour over salad, mix, and chill at least one hour. Makes 4 servings. Per serving, not including rice: 183 calories, 8 g protein, 37 g carbs, 4 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 768 mg sodium, 8 g fiber, 5 Points Plus. Adding the optional brown rice adds 1 Point Plus per serving.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 05-07-2015 at 03:34 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks SD

I hope your Mom doesnt have any problems!

Sorry I thought you had already tried the tvp and the quinoa.I will look into it more, am also trying to look into almond and coconut flour.

Your Bean and corn salad sounds good, am going to ty it

Its sounds like a corn salsa I make for burritos
    corn rinsed & drained
    2Tbsp lemon or lime juice
    onion to taste, I use about 1/2 cup small diced

let stand i fridge stir once in awhile, maybe a couple hours, use on mexican food.

Be careful tomorrow!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ha I remember when I first ran into quinoa. I was pronouncing it Quin-o-a. DD eats it and i purchased Farrow (sp.) the other day. Going to try that. Dmom loves couscous and i almost had her talked into Farrow but she did her double back on me. lol
    ILC-yes,water every day. Any other beverage is a treat. Had cran-lemonade watered down today-woot.

Got almost nothing done. Put a wash load in and got lunch and drove through the prescription window. I get depressed when the head has plans the body wont carry out.# days of dishes in the sink!
    Cancelled the Dr. until Mon. Driving across the street to get needed pills is 1 things but going 30 miles each way to the Dr. is foolish when your light headed.
    Headed back to bed to watch lousy tv. Sorry for the 'tude' it was just so pretty out today!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, I think most of the sodium is coming from the taco seasoning mix. You can make your own and control the salt better. Most of the salt in the corn and beans should be rinsed away. I think so anyway.

I should have said SOME vegans and vegetarians use TVP. I'm sure not everyone does. Shouldn't generalize like that.

My food plans have blown up. We're taking Mom's van and she doesn't like people to eat in it. She had a fit once because she had cut off a plastic bottle the same height as a pop can, and I had the nerve to remove the bottle from my pop can because it didn't work to leave the pop in the bottle and I couldn't get the damn thing out of the bottle while I was driving, and the pop can left a water ring in the cup holder. She wanted the cut-off bottle on the pop can so it wouldn't sweat in the cup holder. So we don't need to drop a crumb in the van or do some other devastating damage like that. I had planned on a picnic but it's supposed to rain, so that's out. Plus if we dragged along a bigger cooler and food besides, it would be like moving day while we get the stuff all out of our van and into hers at four AM outside her apartment building. If you've ever heard the doors slamming on a Chevy Astro, you'll understand the problem. WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! So I think it's going to be Subway or DQ or something for us. I really don't know how to handle this situation from a healthy eating standpoint. One meal isn't going to cut it from four AM to about 6 PM, especially if that one meal is a salad. We won't know when she'll be done with surgery and won't know when she'll be released, and then we'll stay with her once she's home to make sure she's okay. I guess maybe we'll take along some granola bars even though that's not a very healthy choice, and maybe some raw carrots and our bentos with some little bits of snacky stuff in them.

Our truck has been in the shop since Monday and was supposed to be done today, but it's not. I miss my truck!

I did remember to get my little kitchen timer at the dollar store today though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1/3 today. I paid bills. Had a rough day, again. I did call the doctor, and I'm going in tomorrow. Hopefully he will have an answer.

Tomorrow:

1. Go see the doctor.
    2. Run the vacuum in the living room. It's a daily, but the dogs and cats are shedding, so I'm doing it 2x a week.
    3. I'm not sure what else needs done, but I'll think of something.

Have a lovely day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nope SD I use taco seasoning from Mrs. Dash, no salt.

Good Luck with the food, No comment, been there!

Glad you found your timer tho!

Jen, Good Luck at the DRs. Hope all goes well.

Off to fix dinner!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you found some good salt-free taco seasoning. I've been buying chili powder myself and only just recently realized it probably has salt in it. I buy it in bulk so no label to look at. I have a recipe for making my own so I'll give that a try when I run out of what I have.

I didn't get my walk in today but still got over 4K steps. I figured I would because of running errands. So I've had a good week so far. Tomorrow will probably a lot of walking due to going into so many big stores and the hospital.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I figured out tomorrow's food. I ~have to~ learn to cope with these kinds of days. So here's the plan and I hope I can make it work. I'm planning stuff that either wouldn't make a crumb in the van or that can be eaten while walking from one place to another.

Breakfast- Granola bar, banana.
    Lunch- Subway 6" Italian BMT, no cheese, 9 grain bread, and mustard instead of dressing.
    Snacks- 2 eggs, apples, rice cakes, carrots.
    Supper- LO tuna pot pie at home.
    Diet pop and water- anytime and unlimited.

That comes out four points below my daily limit not counting rice cakes, so there's some room to mess up, and I have all 49 of my weekly points to use, too. I no doubt used up some of those today with my disastrous food choices, but I should be okay if I don't mess up too badly tomorrow. I guess the scale will tell me come Sunday. I also have activity points from all the walking this week. I keep forgetting those because I never use them, but they're available just the same.

I feel a little more in control now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had DH set up the air in the bedroom. Dogs and me laid all over the bed like starfish on the beach. lol
    Having kind of a rough day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw, I was picturing you and your dogs "like starfish on a beach." Great visual imagery there!

Glad you got the air set up. We'll need ours this weekend---going to low 90s. The humidity is low, however, which will help somewhat.

Jen, let us know what the doctor finds.

SD, your food plan sounds workable. Hope your mom does well.

pinetree, I saw on the Weather Channel that your area might get snow this weekend. Stay warm! Take care of yourself.

DH, who felt sorry for Sadie being cooped up after her surgery, let her run wild yesterday which led to her incision oozing and getting red so back to the vet she went. Vet said she was on the verge of an infection so now she's on antibiotics. DH feels really bad about it, which he should. He's really soft-hearted with the critters (and our kids, too) which isn't always appropriate.

For Friday:

1) Get ham out of freezer to cook on Sunday
    2) Water garden at best friend's house
    3) Sweep/mop downstairs
    4) Vacuum upstairs
    5) Scrub tubs
    6) Try to keep Sadie quiet and calm

That's it, I think. Have a great day, everybody.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC-yeah we hit 15 degrees over normal at 82ish yesterday. We "get flat" when we are feeling like we have no energy too. My Dogs (109#,84#,and 52# sacrificed and
    spent the night in the air w/ me.

Got the first dry and wash in.
    Did the DW 1st load
    took a nap because the dizzyness hit again
    Did 1 pantry shelf and cleared 1/2 another.
    Heading out soon-need a scenery change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I went to the stores I needed to go, so I have groceries for the weekend. And I did some basic cleaning. Oh well lets just hope tomorrow ends well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

really getting tired of the rain now, its really coming down, the rivers and lakes are topped out and the flood warnings are popping up now. We are suppose to get up to two ft. of snow. People are getting scared, the roads etc. still arent fixed from the last flood. The mountains are starting to have rock slides which are closing roads again..we are so water logged, theres no where for the water to go now..

Had a night of tossing and turning, had to get up at 5 am to get a bite of banana, my stomach was growling so loud it kept waking me up!

I cant even think about putting air in, I'm lucky if its 40*, yesterday co springs had 5 inches of hail, and had to bring the snow plows out to clear the roads! Then the east side had tornados and funnels!! What an exciting time huh!

list
    help w/ a job
    took morning pills
    clean off table
    dust, maybe

SD watch the chili powder some of it is extremely high in salt,others arent. Hope you Mom is Ok.

ilc, I am so sorry about sadie, poor little girl, hope shes better soon! I would rather have DH like yours, then one that doesnt care! Have A wonderful time with your son!

Ayanka, hoping tomorrow ends well.

Fw, feel better soon!

Jen, Any news yet?

Have a wonderful Fri.!!