2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 60
Page 60 of 271 FirstFirst ... 10505758596061626370110160 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, Mom had no intention of moving Sunday morning when we came for Mother's Day. I had mentioned the townhouses to her before but the rent is at least twice what she's paying now and she was only slightly interested. But then Sunday we drove her by them and noticed all the trees around the units on the one end. (The complex takes up about two square blocks.) She has trees on three sides. Then Husby told her about the deer he sees two or three times a week there, since he drives by there every day on his way to work. We could see the nice little sitting areas on the front of each townhouse, and from some angles we could see the back patios on all the units where people have grills and stuff. The idea of being able to see birds is what really got her thinking, but she only wanted a unit on the end with all the trees because they also happened to be the ones with the most level driveways and sidewalks. She has a hard time walking on an incline anymore, so that's important. We really eyeballed those units. There are only six on that end, and two of them looked empty because we could look through the windows from the front all the way to the back, and from the road it didn't look like anything was in them. We were right and once she could see the inside yesterday, it didn't take her long to decide to move. Maybe you could use similar tactics with your mom, just take her to see a few different places and something might appeal to her. I think prying elders out of their homes is a process. The seed has to be planted and allowed to grow for a couple years, and you have to give the idea a nudge periodically. A lot of these places are really nice, and who knows, maybe your mom might see one she likes. I hope so. I know it would be a load off your mind. One thing that happened by coincidence with Mom was that my brother had told her last week she could afford to spend some money on herself and she should. Then, without knowing what he had said, I told her the same thing on Saturday. Since she heard it from both of us, I think it helped her to decide to get a nicer place.

Moving starts Thursday afternoon. We're hoping to have her in the new place by Sunday night, but it's hard to tell how long it'll all take. Once we're done with all the smaller, lighter stuff, we'll call movers to come get the big stuff. The next week will be rough, but it'll be short-term pain for long-term gain.

I do think she'll be much happier in the new place. The only drawback is she'll be more isolated, but she rarely goes out of her apartment now because of all the creeps around there. But she's already talking about finding out if there's a potluck for the whole complex and organizing one if there isn't one. She'll figure it out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Vet run done and everyone checked out. Well, Sugar and Jack anyway. Sugar is doing as well as can be expected for her age (13) and Jack is exceptionally fit for his age (14). Our vet said he rarely sees cats at that age that aren't overweight. Jack has been one solid muscle since we got him at a year old. He eats like a horse so I don't know why he doesn't gain weight, but he's always been the same weight. So he and Sugar got their rabies shots, so they're good for another three years. Sugar had two worrisome growths, but the vet said they're just little cysts and nothing to worry about, which was good news. He agrees with us that Sugar has some neurological stuff going on, but she's happy and healthy otherwise, and we don't really care if she's a little bit nuts. He said at her age she didn't need heartworm meds anymore but we just couldn't do that, so sprang for them anyway. So it was a good visit. I was afraid he'd have bad news about Sugar so it was a relief when he said she was okay. Sota has lost another pound and a half so that's good. He's down six and a half pounds since we got him. He was kind of a chunk then and now he has a waistline. Our vet was laughing at us having to wake the Snail up and get him out of bed to catch a mouse when we live with four cats. Husby wanted to put the appointment off with everything else we have going on, but we're both glad it's done now. I hate taking cats to vets. The dogs aren't so bad, but the cats get so darn upset.

I'm trying to make a list of stuff to give to Mom so she doesn't have to buy it. Some was hers that we took when she moved out of her house, some is ours that we have extra. I'm hoping she won't have to spend too much to get all re-outfitted. We've decided we're going to the city-wide rummage sales Saturday so she can find some things she needs and we can have some fun since we were supposed to be on the North Shore for a long weekend and had to cancel that now. How's that for a mini-vacation, attending garage sales. LOL. I hope Mom can find some stuff she's looking for though.

I got the experimental salisbury steak with mac and cheese made today. I got it down to a 7-point meal. It's so-so but I can work with it, so it's still a work in progress. I think I might like a rice side dish better than the mac and cheese, so will give that some thought. Next up, veggie lasagna. That should be quicker and simpler than messing with the salisbury steak. It just seemed to take forever to get all the patties measured just right. Tracking seems to work for me, so the more accurate the better, and I don't care who thinks I'm obsessing. So there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't get weeding done.

For Wednesday:

1) Kohl's with DH to look at shoes for him and clothes for me
    2) Hair appointment 2:00
    3) More laundry
    4) Go through coupons DONE
    5) Menu planning

Have a good day, ladies.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-thanks but doubtful. Dmom has blinders on and is following Ddads wishes the kids get the investments. I doubt he thought she shouldn't use what she needed though. Something awful would have to happen before she moved.
    So glad things are progressing so quick w/ yours.
    I always do the cats separate from the dogs but then our vet is 1/4 mile away.
    I was just reviewing who is up first yesterday. No hurry. Kinda waiting for DH's first check. We have the cash but I am even more cautious from this learning experience.

ILC-now I know what YOU mean. lol

My tummy is so sore from yesterdays lifting and cleaning-ow but yea!
    Down another.5 of few I spiked back up.
    So more cleaning and lifting in the pantry. More than 1/2 done? About 5 more shelves and all the cupboard,the floor and a wire rack to do. Well and 4 top shelves to check w/ beans. Oh Bother!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was easier for us with Mom this time, FW. She isn't leaving the house she loves this time. I planted the seed for leaving the house two or three years before it happened. Mom decided when it was time. Mom knows my brother and I are in good shape financially and don't need an inheritance, so that's not a worry for her. And Stepdad always told her he was leaving her with enough money that she should be able to get whatever she wants and that she should spend it. While that's not strictly true, she's in good shape financially too and can afford a nicer place. I hope nothing awful happens with your mom.

Jack and Sugar arrived within a few weeks of each other, so their shots are always due at the same time. It's easier for us to just get it over with. Jack yelled his head off the whole way there, then of course was dead silent in the clinic. He talks big when it's just us, but he's a wuss at heart. We messed up the staff yesterday though by bringing Sota along. He needed to be weighed for his heartworm meds, and they all kept thinking he was there to be seen and either wanted to call up his records or wondered why the records weren't already up on the computer. He was a comfort to Sugar so it's good he was there. Husby and the vet had to hold her down pretty forcefully to shave some matted hair off her neck, so the vet could look at one of the cysts. I hate the sound she made, she was so upset. She sounded exactly like a heartbroken human baby. I knew they weren't hurting her but it was torture listening to her and watching them. Luckily it didn't take long, and it was important to find out if she needed surgery. My poor sweet girl.

I can't wait to get started on Mom's move, and at the same time, I'm dreading it. Not sure the weather is going to cooperate. I hope so because that's the time we have. And now they're tearing up the street the block before Mom's place. We don't know if they're going to her block or not. Sure hope if they are, they'll wait at least a week. She seems to be looking forward to the move so she's probably not regretting her decision. Where she is now, if she's sitting in her chair in the LR, she can see a square of sky with some power lines and the occasional raven perched on them, no other birds. She's always loved watching birds, and it's been hard for her not to have any around. She's moving at a great time of the year because the hummingbirds will be back any minute now and the other migratory birds are already back, and in a couple weeks it'll be warm enough to plant things and put out some flowers. It'll be good for her to have something to tend again and get outside a little more. It really is a nice place and it's only seven years old, plus they just repainted so it's like a brand new place. I just can't wait to see her all moved in and settled. I think it's going to be a great move for her for so many reasons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Afternnon all!

Hope everyone is feeling wionderful today!

I had a very very good Dr appt yesterday. I got released to pull weeds!! yippeeee , Now need to find a way to get this oxygen hose outside! And of course its raining!!

I can start using light weights, and can do the show on pbs, " sit and be fit " Twice a day, if I can do it everyday, he says My energy will come back! So I'm gonna try!!
    I have my fitbit going and tracking everything, even my salt, it is So nice!!

Bad news is I have osterporisis, in my back and hips, so have to start 2 more medicines, and be careful of bouncing or sitting down hard.. What a drag abut it could be worse!

Spent most the day talking to my bbf so now I'm behind!!

Exercise
    empty dishwasher
    dust allitle

Have a great day!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-thats why we started at this vet. We bring 4 cats. So the chorus starts as the carriers are being loaded and continues in the waiting room. We get a exam room so fast. I had a family of a wild cat and those cats are silent. So nice when I had them. 3 cats not a peep.
    Mackey is a reverse pez machine. Give cookies,do what you want.
    Yogi needs a muzzle and DH takes him.
    Mikey just loves everyone. I never had an issue just w/ jumping.

Went to 2 grocery stores and vaccumned the stairs and 1/2 of the bottom floor before hips complained too much. Have to do the kitchen and breakfast area later. Nothing done on the pantry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, that's such great news! It sounds like you're making progress on your recovery.

FW, oh, yeah, we used to do all five cats and two dogs at one time. Serious wrangling. And it makes a person understand the true meaning of the word "caterwauling." LOL. Our vet techs always helped us out though.

Raining again. Hope it stops by tomorrow but probably not and we need the rain so no complaints here. Not sure how we'll handle that. We've moved in the rain before and it wasn't pretty. Then again, since it's just going to be boxes and totes, maybe we'll manage between two vans and the covered box on the truck. We can just put stuff in the garage I guess and wait for it to quit raining to move it into the house. They just shampooed the carpet so don't want to track in a bunch of mud right away.

Just called the movers and they said they'll have time next week to move Mom's stuff, so that'll be good.
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 05-13-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-ours won't take that many and I want to make sure I keep it straight w/ my oldies. I do a list. But there are only 3 vets at the practice now and they have 2 clinics.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have an amazing vet staff here, especially considering the small town we live in. They do a lot of surgeries for people from places like the Twin Cities and Chicago because we have a large summer population from Illinois, Indiana, and other upper midwest states, and the rates here are so much cheaper than in big cities. People can bring their dogs up to be spayed here from Minneapolis and have enough money left over to pay for their long weekend fishing. Consequently, our vet staff keeps growing. Plus there's a huge mushing community here so lots of people own lots of dogs that need lots of vet care. It's great because our vets do so much work they have lots of experience and are constantly going for more training, too. We're so lucky to have that vet clinic. It's a huge asset to the community. Our clinic sends out postcards when our critters are due for something and we double check to make sure it's right, then call and take them in. Sota's due for his rabies in July and I think the other three kitties need their wellness checks then, too, so we'll take all of them in then. Jack will wonder why he's all alone in the house, I'm sure. The doggies always go everywhere together. Sugar would be heartbroken if she was left behind. It's not so bad with the van and all the cats in crates.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pinetree, that's wonderful news! Except for the osteoporosis, but taking the meds will help. I have osteopenia, the beginnings of steoporosis, in my hips so I have to take 4000 Vitamin D and calcium every day. It's scary at first, trying to avoid anything that could cause a fall, but after a while it becomes second nature to step carefully, hold handrails, etc.

Since you can now go out and weed, why not visit me? If it wasn't for weeds our yard wouldn't be green. You'd get lots of exercise.

I got everything done today! And I like my haircut. I had some highlights put in around my face and 2 inches cut off, so it's shorter and lighter, perfect for hot summer weather.

Tomorrow we're going to visit DS and take groceries and sundries. I probably won't post tomorrow.

So have a nice Thursday, everybody.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

ILC-enjoy your visit w/ your Ds. Hope to actually speak to mine Sun. but who knows since they are doing field training now. Funny, I have osteopenia too and never thought about falling. I should go back to the calcium and D too. Kinda drifted
    because I was trying to fit everything else in AND DIET. lol

This is a husband and wife team plus 1 Dr. from the owner before. I think they have a few more weekend fill-ins. I always ask for the DH because he is easier going and hands out the discounts.
    But and also there are no less than 20 vets I can go to in about 10 miles.
    I have used a lot of them in 20 years out here but they are the closest and I think they are the best for me-cost,philosophy wise and their skills. I dont go to the wife because she is an upseller and very bright to the point she is a bit socially awkward to talk to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DS called this a.m. and said he wanted to come home this weekend so we aren't going up there today. Actually that works out better for us.

So for Thursday:

1) Water garden at best friend's house
    2) Go to Aldi. We haven't been since April 22 and I really need some items.
    3) Mop. How does the floor get so nasty so fast?!?!?!?
    4) Revise weekend menus
    5) Drop some items by the Rescue Mission
    6) Clean dining room

So errands and cleaning. Sigh, my life is so glamorous.

Have a productive day, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ilc, So glad your DS is coming to see you!! Enjoy your weekend with him!! Hows Sadie doing?

FW, Take your Pills!!

SD, so happy for your Mom, have fun moving her in, It will be fun this time, she will be So excited!!

Niko, how are you? My Dr told me pills are good for along time, they want you to throw them out so you have to buy more. Hope you are better.

Jen, hope you are feeling better also, hope you are resting and taking it easy!

Hoo,, Oh I give up with your name, I Just cannot remember!!! Thanks for the info on the fitbit, I am loving it!! It shows my salt and sugar intake so I can really keep up with it. Not sure how to put in my exercise , but guess I will figure it out.

Ayanka, I Hope You are Really enjoying your time off!!!

RABBIT ???

Found out yesteday my lungs are at 49% of normal, so no getting off this oxygen anytime soon, will just have to try harder.

The sun comes out, then it rains cats and dogs.. no weeding, I ahve to sit down, and I dont want to be all wet.!

List
    exercise
    check grocery sales
    fix dinner hopefully the kids bring home fish!

Have a wonderful day!!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, Mom said this AM she's excited. Gotta run. Moving time!

Hope everyone is enjoying your day!