2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 62
Page 62 of 271 FirstFirst ... 12525960616263646572112162 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just popping in, don't have time to read everything I've missed but hope to be able to find more time this week to join back in. We're working on the yard, it's been rainy and it seems like the lawn grows over night. This time of the year having 3.5 acres is not fun, I feel like that's all we do is cut the lawn! At least DH is not working many hours lately so he can help. I did get my vegetable plants in the ground so I am happy about that.

Sunday
    1 - laundry
    2 - reset house
    3 - weed front flower bed weather permitting
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Caution: Pointless yammering to follow.

What a day again! We were in town by seven in hopes of getting a bunch more boxes for moving, which we did. Last winter when we were looking at houses, we looked at a place we liked a lot and in the process I saw a carnival glass bowl I really liked, like this one:
    Vintage Iridescent Blue Indiana Carnival Glass Footed Oval Fruit Bowl Harvest | eBay
    I had been tempted at the time to have our realtor ask the seller if I could buy that bowl, but thought it would be out of place to do so, so I didn't. As it turned out, we found out later that an acquaintance of ours that we talk to frequently is the nephew of the owner. She died recently, and the nephew is taking care of her estate and was having an estate sale today. By chance we ran into him at the grocery store this AM where he works, when we were on the hunt for boxes. We asked if the bowl was on the sale and he said it was and that he would call his mom, who was handling the sale, and have her let us in a half hour early so we could get the bowl. They only wanted $5 for it! I'm so tickled! We picked up a bunch of other stuff there dirt cheap, five cents and ten cents on most of it. We also snatched up a really cute vintage dresser in a classic style, which is perfect for an entertainment center for Mom. She wasn't with us at the time so I hesitated to buy it, but it was only $5! Solid wood, no particle board, and the drawers are all made of cedar planks. She's been wanting something with storage for VCR tapes and stuff like that. Particle board wasn't going to cut it for that heavy stuff. It's perfect and so cute and she just loves it. We ended up being at that sale four times today, for one reason or other. I was really grateful to Jon for letting us go there early, because the second they officially opened the doors there, it was swamped. We'd have never gotten all the good stuff if we would have had to wait. The last time we went back, they were taking offers on a server cabinet that was just beautiful. We offered $15 and they accepted it. Mom will have space for it to use for storing all her little sewing stuff. She's going to need that space! That really is a beautiful piece and it's in perfect condition, so it's not a project. All she has to do is move into it. She just loves that, too.

At a church sale, I got a Plano four-tray tackle box for beadwork, NWT, $4. I picked up three more vintage single-serving Corningware casseroles for .50 each, and another one at another sale for .25. Can't have too many of those. I have so many I can't put them all in the cabinet, but I'm okay with that because most of them are in the freezer at any given time anyway. Perfect!

Mom got this grill at another sale, NIB, for $40. Sears.com
    She's happy about that because she has that little back patio now and all she'll need is a table to set it on, and it can sit outside ready to go all summer. A grill for back there was one of the first things she thought of, after bird feeders, so that was really lucky.

I got her a snow shovel for .50. She probably won't use it because Maintenance will plow and shovel for her, but I doubt they'll do the back patio, so we'll need to shovel a little path to the bird feeders in the winter. So that saved her some money.

She got a 14-piece set of Pyrex storage for $10, NIB. Perfect. She had been wanting some good glass storage.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-14-pc-St...+piece+storage

I bought a set of folding opera glasses for the truck for a dime. LOL. So cute.

Mom wanted a rocking chair badly, and found one at the church sale for $25. It's really pretty and in great shape, although we found out as we were loading it that it has a joint that needs to be glued, but no biggie. So she was tickled about that, too.

She got a matching set of two really nice end tables for $15, and before that bought one that's not as nice but it was only $1. We will probably do some surgery on that one and make it into a printer stand and storage shelf for her word processor next to her desk.

We moved the really ugly cobbled-together book shelves that were hidden in the bedroom at the apartment into her new pantry, where they're a perfect fit for canned goods. We first put it in the kitchen for her cookbooks and all agreed it's way too tacky for public viewing. It'll be okay in the pantry and she needed shelves in there, so that part worked out without her having to spend any money, but then she had nothing for her cookbooks which number in the hundreds even after she purged about 3/4 of them when she moved out of her house. As we were hauling the last load of the day and so tired we could hardly see straight, I noticed someone had put an entertainment center out at the curb with a free sign on it. We talked it over with Mom and she thought it might be a good idea, so after we unloaded, we went back to see if it was still there. Oh, man, is that thing a beast. We tore up the veneer on the bottom because it caught on the asphalt as we tipped it against the tailgate so we could slide it into the truck, so it's a little damaged now but can be repaired easily. There wasn't much else we could do since it was only the two of us to load that heavy thing and we were dead tired. It needs a good cleaning and some shelves where the TV used to be. It's bigger than I would have liked to see in the space it's in, but Mom's okay with it so it's all good. It's going to be such a help for her. We picked it up because we figured if it didn't work out in the house, it would be good garage storage which she also needs. As luck would have it, Mom has a set of shelves that are a decent match for the entertainment center and are the perfect width to slip right in through the back of the TV space. We just have to cut it down in height, fast and easy, nothing to build or do, and she'll then be getting rid of a big piece of furniture, which will help. We had no idea what we were going to do about those books, so this is a real godsend, and all it cost was a couple hernias and screaming pain in our backs. We'll live. At least gravity was our friend when it came to unloading. We rarely see things set out on the curb for free around this area, so it must have been meant to be. It's supposed to rain tonight so I'm glad we got it now. I learned all my frugal ways from Mom, so we think alike in cases like these and she was excited to get it. It has some good space for big kitchen items on the bottom, too, and two good-sized drawers for kitchen linens or whatever.

Mom is spending her first night in the new house tonight. She seems so content there. We're closing in on the end of the hauling except for her two lockers. A lot of stuff can't be put away yet till the big stuff comes on Monday morning, because if we have to rearrange stuff, we don't want to have to unload anything to move it. But we're expecting to be able to have the apartment emptied by tomorrow night, easily, and I'm hoping we can have a lot of stuff put away in the kitchen and bedroom, too.

We just can't believe how lucky Mom was to find all the stuff she got that she needed, and how lucky we were to find some of it on her behalf. It's like she's supposed to be in the new house!

I walked 13,500 steps today. My poor feet! But it was worth it. We'll be so glad when it's all done. Husby walked over 20,000 steps today, so he's walked over 20 miles in the past two days and will probably do the same tomorrow. His poor feet, too.

There's no point in me making a to-do list these days. Run around like crazy hurting myself and being happy to do it for Mom, that's our to-do list lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Popping in to say Hi,, Enjoy your Sunday!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another long day. Only 7,500 steps today, because I was running around Mom's house instead of having to run around that whole apartment building just getting in and out of it, hauling stuff to the vehicles to load. I'm still exhausted, but at least now the end is in sight.

The apartment is done except for the stuff the movers will take in the morning, the stuff on the walls, and a computer desk we'll be bringing home. Husby cleared out one of the small storage lockers, too. The other locker has all her sewing stuff in it so that will take longer, but shouldn't be too bad. Most of that stuff is already in boxes because I organized it all into small boxes two years ago that could slip on and off shelves like little drawers, so we'll just have to pull the boxes off the shelves and stack them in the truck. That's the good news. The bad news is the forecast is for 100% chance of rain tomorrow, switching over to snow toward evening. They don't call this place Minnesnowta for nuttin'.

I cut down the shelving unit by cutting off about eight inches on the bottom so it could slide into the back of the free entertainment center/bookcase and it worked out so well I don't think anyone would even notice those shelves weren't always in there. They fit perfectly! The finish is a good match, too. So lucky. That job took maybe fifteen minutes and most of that was marking the cutting lines. I had to laugh when Mom told me she had picked the shelves I cut down off the curb one year when we went to city-wide sales in another town. LOL. Now it's a fusion piece made from two curb-scavenged freebies. Perfect! I love that it wasn't a project to have to add shelves. That's been going so quickly with the entertainment center we bought for ourselves, after all! Then it took forever to put all the books away. A bunch are stacked on the top. Mom needs to purge about a hundred of them! She and Husby had gone to the apartment to pack some things and Mom just couldn't get over how nice she thought the bookcase looked now. It sure holds a ton of stuff! I put her board games in the bottom compartment, and her kitchen towels in one of the two drawers at the bottom. Her tablecloths can go in the other one when we find them. It's all really going to work out great for her. What timing to have found that thing! Mom's been bleeding money all over the place the past couple weeks, and any way she can save helps. Getting that big cabinet for free was just wonderful. You know me, I love a great repurpose even if it's not mine!

I put away a bunch of the stuff boxed up in the LR, since I had to get stuff cleared up for the movers tomorrow. The place looks a lot better, but the best part is I can breathe a sigh of relief now because I think the floor plan I finally figured out today is going to work. She either needs every piece of furniture in there, or refuses to give it up for which I can't blame her considering what all she had to give up two years ago. She also needed the stuff we picked up yesterday, which added to the frustration but was also understandable. Mom has been fussing about having bought the two matching end tables yesterday, and the first one we found, the so-so $1 one. She had decided she needed only one and wouldn't have space for all three. But today I was able to figure them out, too, and she likes the arrangement. The $1 one will go between the desk and a wall and hold her word processor and printer. Her desk isn't that big so getting the printer off of it will be a huge help. That end table isn't the prettiest but the price was right. It's barely visible where it is now and is a near-match to the desk, too. So she's happy with that arrangement, I'm happy that table didn't turn into a project, and I'm also happy I didn't have to hear any more about how there was no room and no need for all three end tables when she needs them all.

Mom was also convinced there was no space for the rocker she bought yesterday. I found a good place for that too, so that question is settled and she's happy she can keep it. She thinks it's really pretty and it is. I got the spindle re-glued today so that can dry for a week or so and then I'll take the ratchet strap off of it. Husby has already claimed it as his place to sit when we're there, so I'd say she's stuck with it now. Mom's already talking about making a nice cushion for it. She's starting to get more interested in doing things again. Her apartment was so tiny it was really hard to do projects because there just wasn't enough space.

I got out the new grill and put that together. It's bigger than it looks on the box, but it's a nice grill. It's imprinted with "Northshore Mining" which is one of the big mining companies up here, so must have been an employee gift of some kind. She's pleased with that, too.

It's been a pretty good day. I'm looking forward to tomorrow so we can finally get all the furniture in place and make some more progress in putting the rooms back together, especially the kitchen. I think we might be coming into the home stretch now, no pun intended.

Mom had to give us the bunny report from last night. It sounds like she had fun watching it. She has gulls fly over quite often, which she also likes. There's a lake about a block from her place so she hears them often too. We put up a bird feeder for her today. No customers yet but I'm sure someone will discover the feeder before too long.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, you got some great deals yesterday!

Quiet on this thread today, everyone must be having the same nice weather we are. Hope you all enjoyed your day.

3/3 today and a few extras.

Monday
    1 - menu plan for week
    2 - grocery shopping
    3 - dailies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-wow can't believe how fast that went. So nice she has bunnies to watch. W/ Dmom it's squirrels. She has black,grey and the brown and a million things to say about each one. It's so bad I give her peanuts in shell unsalted as part of her Christmas gift. She misses having a dog or cat. Sometimes I am tempted to find an old one at the pound but then that would be one headache after another.

We took the dog (dh's) to the bark park. And surprisingly he did well. He was sniffed and sniffed other dogs. He gets intimidated so we watch him. And he did a few little Grrr's but I'm ok w/ that because the change was radical from a few years ago. This dog used to bark everyone in sight of the car and jump from seat to seat while I drove. He still isn't relaxed but we are going to practice more. I was a blast there though. And for some reason big dog day. We saw a Pharoh hound,St. Bernard,Great Dane,Great Pyrannese,several huskies and a herd of lab mixes. I just love trying to "guess that breed mix?". We stopped at a coney carryout place. I laughed at Dh. I sent him in for fries,2 coneys and a hot dog. So
    he gets Yogi a chili dog like us. He was great w/ me when Dh left and at the picnic table even though there was an unattended Dashund there. There is hope!
    We needed a day out.

Got 1 shelf done in the pantry. Watched the voices. It's a comedy about a serial
    killer who hears voices in the form of his dog and cat. It's super kitchy and bad. I highly recommend it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw, glad the dog is doing better. That series sounds intriguing. Is it on hulu or what?

SD, fantastic progress with the moving!

RABBIT, welcome back!

pinetree, hope you are ok today!

For Monday:

1) Clean up in our bedroom
    2) Reset downstairs
    3) Revise menus
    4) Send reminder email to our retired teachers' group DONE
    5) Maybe help DH with some home repairs

Have a marvelous Monday, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi guys!

RABBIT, I wish I had the same weather, we are suppose to rain all day plus they are saying 2 inches of rain tomorrow, plus maybe snow.

Jen. Hope youre feeling better, thinking about you.

FW, sounds like you had a good weekend!

SD, WTG with the moving, so happy she is all happy and excited, Hope I am that happy when I am that age!

Niko, How ya doing?? Hoping things are going smoothly for awhile!

ilc, Did you do exerciese for your veritgo? Is it the bpv type?

I think my pain pills are making me dizzy, it says on the side effects to watch getting up and down in bed, so I quit taking them, will see if that helps. I started a new statin, every muscle in my body hurts again, so its getting really hard to move around and walk, I am getting so tired of this... I would like to get back to some kind of life, just not exsisting....

Have a great Monday!

geez forgot my list again!!
    get dressed
    make phone calls
    fold whites
    wow, what a list!! hope I dont hurt myself!! lol
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nope... come home Saturday to another letter from the Trusttee or rather Bankruptcy court and neither of us have any clue what it is or means. It didn't have the CC at the end so it wasn't sent to the attorneys office. Last day of BK was April 27th but still hasn't been discharged. Normal but we don't know what this letter ( form letter but still ) is ... Would call today but I'm off Mondays and if they need something faxed I can't do it from home so trying to have patience and wait until tomorrow where I can fax if necessary. They're going to have to lead me thru it as there's a bunch of blank lines that look as if they need to be filled in and ... crap in a basket... I don't know what they're even asking.

Today since I've done hardly anything most of the weekend but worry

Doggy blankets washed
    Dogs bathed ( didn't do last weekend )
    Mop downstairs
    unload dishwasher .. did them yesterday
    wash at least one load and put a bunch away. They're piling up again bad .. as usual
    bathroom trash out
    going to try to fix something cooked ahead of time today to help with supper tomorrow night along with today.
    Change bed
    MAYBE was blankets too. REALLY reaching here.

Might not get all of this done. I'm know I'm reaching here. But also know I WILL get some other stuff done along the way. I'm one of those people who goes to do something in one room and that leads to another room which leads to... and on and on. Always been that way. I'm good with it. LOng as crap gets done.
    Last edited by NikoSan999; 05-18-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, Hang in there,,, Its nerve wracking for sure, call the lawyer and see what it is, that way you know and wont have to worry the rest of the day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, sorry that you had to worry all weekend about your letter. Hopefully by now you have word on what exactly it is and what they want.

pinetree, snow..........SNOW!!!!! <screams> Sorry..............just..........sorry. SD, you too!

So tired today, stayed up way too late last night. I have got to stop this.

1/3 today, can't see me doing anything else besides making dinner at this point.

Tuesday
    1 - dailies plus Mondays
    2 - go to moms
    3 - clean off desk, starting to get cluttered again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can't call today. Well... I could but if they ( the attorneys office ) want a copy faxed to them I can't do it from home. So it's best to wait until tomorrow so I don't have to call back a second time. I'll wait as hard as it is.

Top that with a load of crap from Bank of America... otherwise known as Bank of Hell... and that's a sample of the BS we've had lately.

Not progressing here very well. Have one load done. Another going in soon. Fixed supper so to speak. Sloppy Joes but don't know if I fixed enough to go another night. Maybe. I'd be happy with one night ahead.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Niko, I thought you were done with bank from hell? I got rid of All mine when you started having trouble,, Sending up prayers you are done with this for good. Keep positive thoughts, it might be the papers for dismissal... keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Yep RABBIT, snow.. I am never going to get the garden planted!

Dh took pictures of the cheery trees into the soil conservation, place toiday, our trees got hit really bad with that winter vortex this winter, they hardly have any leafs, we need to fertilize then trim if they dont grow,, sob,, no fruit aagain.?

I wont be on till late tomorrow, got to go back to Dr, having Big problems with this new statin, will let you know how it goes.. I hate this, I was feeling great, now I hurt so bad I just want to lay in bed...

Take care everyone

ilc, will you do me a favor and have a big piece of cheese cake for me<< Thanks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Everyone's been busy. Me, too, I guess.

7,000 steps today. I'm sort of surprised because it was mostly in Mom's new house. Husby emptied the second locker and then we both went over and took the stuff off the walls out of the apartment, so everything is finally moved. :whew: It didn't seem like we'd ever get to this point. The movers brought the last of her furniture and everything fits in nicely, so that's something. I made a dent in the mess in her kitchen and rearranged the furniture in her bedroom so her keyboard and sewing furniture fit in and I can walk in there to put stuff away. The kitchen is not fully functional yet but she should be able to heat something up to eat and have some dishes to put it on now at least. I felt sorry for Husby hauling stuff in through the wind, snow, rain, and sleet. What a nasty day. But it's done now and anything else we need to do should be doable under a cozy roof.

When I called to get Mom signed up for Dish network, she discovered her debit card is missing. This was after I just gotten the lecture about how she didn't need to be organized because her memory is good enough that she can remember where things are without having to put things away, all because I came across a random light bulb and she told me to put it in the desk drawer, which I disagreed with. Don't even get me started on how untrue that is about her memory. This is the woman who will call me up and ask where something is in her house that I never knew she owned. How would I know? She has no idea where her card is or when she had it last. We had her call and cancel it. For a while she couldn't find her credit card either, understandable since she always leaves it laying around and doesn't carry it, and of course with the move stuff is in chaos. That eventually showed up, stuck in the business envelope it came in, stuck to the letter it came on, with her password and account info written on the bottom of the letter, and the sticker still on it saying it wasn't activated yet even though it was. The old, expired one was in the same envelope in exactly the same condition. Somebody please tell me what that's about, saving expired credit cards, medical and dental cards, drivers licenses, and other worthless junk so it increases the chances that info will fall into the wrong hands and so she has to waste other peoples' time while they either have to sort through the mess for the right card, or stand in line behind her while someone searches for the right card. I sure don't get it. But at least I was able to set up her Dish work order after having to hang up with the rep because Mom couldn't find her card while I was on the phone. Her bank said no scary activity had happened on that card so that's a good thing.

Mom kept hinting we should clean her apartment. Sorry, Mom, we've been working our asses off to the point of exhaustion and pain, we're still not done, and there's no way we're cleaning that apartment. She finally gave in and hired a friend of hers from the apartment building. It ticked us off because she can afford to pay someone and it won't even cost that much because it's a small place that isn't that dirty. Why should we have to do that on top of everything else we're taking vacation time to do? We don't mind helping her with the new place but enough is enough.

I think we've been spending too much time together the past few days. LOL. I've been doing my best to bite my tongue about all the disorganization and the junk we've moved instead of tossing, but of course I'm not perfect. She's 86 and isn't going to change now, so I need to just shut my face and keep my thoughts to myself. She has all her mental faculties so if she does stupid stuff, she can deal with the consequences.

We were hoping to be done today but we're wearing down so not working as fast as before, plus the weather has slowed things down. So we'll be back over there tomorrow. I hope we can get most of the stuff organized and put away. It'll be Tuesday already and our own projects that we were going to get done while Husby is on vacation have completely slipped off our radar and we have to get back to that stuff. We could have the dirt guy out here as soon as road restrictions come off toward the end of the month, and we don't have the gutters on the garage yet to help keep the new driveway from washing away. And we still haven't had a chance to play with our HydroBikes or even get the dock put back together yet.

The weather geek from Duluth is on the TV pointing at the webcam in town here and talking about how we're 35 degrees below average for temps today. No wonder it's been snowing all day. It's only stinkin' 34 degrees here! It's supposed to be warming up the rest of the week though, I guess.

It's a huge relief to have all Mom's stuff moved, even if it's not all put away yet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Just got back from the Bark Park w/ Mackey. Not the best boy today w/ "plays well w/ others". He'll get in the groove again. It was hot too. And I am so itchy from the pollen.

Dh and i tried to discuss our budget again-OY!