2015 To-Do Challenge - Page 88
Page 88 of 271 FirstFirst ... 38788586878889909198138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 4061
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen, hope you feel better.

om, how's the foot?

fw, good that your DD likes the job. But the 4:30 a.m. shift?! That's ridiculous. And I'm glad you got the critters to the vet.

SD, good haul!

RABBIT, have a good weekend.

pinetree, I'm still smiling from your good news!

For Saturday:

1) Clean up kitchen and mop (didn't do it yesterday cause DH was working outside and he was in and out of the house)
    2) Clean out litter box
    3) Gather more donation items
    4) Clean out pantry
    5) Sweep upper hall and stairs

Have a good weekend, everybody.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW, the little boogers eat up the bird food from the feeders on the front deck. I've always maintained we have minimal rodent damage here because we don't try to keep them out of the bird feeders.

ILC, the haul gets better! Of course you knew we wouldn't be able to resist driving over to Cook to the big sale. Wow, for stuff! The Lions Club puts it on every year and it lives up to its rep. I got to talking to one of the people who works on that sale and she said they will be starting to prep for next year's sale on Monday. I believe it because it's well run, organized, well staffed, and it's easy to see it's a ton of work to get it all ready. Everything was nice, fairly clean, and priced right. Most of the housewares were on long tables that ran from one end of the gym to the other, and half those were marked with big signs that everything was $1 and the other half was tables full of stuff, everything for a quarter. Higher ticket items were along the outside walls of the gym and at giveaway prices. I saw a really nice large pressure canner for $8, for example. I got a cute little waffle iron for Mom that was marked $2, but 25%off. Yesterday everything was priced as marked, today it's 25% off, tomorrow it's half off and at noon tomorrow it's $1/bag. They also encouraged people to make offers. There were also seven rooms full of furniture, building supplies, sporting goods, etc, plus stuff outside like a pontoon, more building supplies, planters, etc. We were there three hours.

We didn't find an entertainment center for craft storage, but I'm going to experiment again and see if I can figure out how to wind down some of the crochet thread that has such huge cores, so it takes less space. Then maybe I could just use the dresser it's in now, but so much of what I have in there just doesn't fit in right so that's not my first choice. However, the dresser is something I already own so maybe I can make it work. Maybe I need different types of storage boxes or drawer dividers or something.

What we did get:

~Two 10' sticks of plastic electrical conduit and a 4' stick of PVC, $1, in case we do build the rollers for the bikes.
    ~Dock bumper, .75.
    ~Huge box of new plastic bags labeled for ice, .75. I hate the bread bags I buy that aren't big enough for bread, so these will be nicer. If they don't work for that, Husby is always looking for trash liners for the container he throws his used coffee and filters in and he could use them for that.
    ~Five cookbooks, $2.
    ~Planter dolly I desperately need for my 7' high candelabra euphorbia, .75. We're always shoving that thing around and breaking chunks off of it.
    ~Two outdoor planters in okay shape, well worth .75 each.
    ~A big box of galvanized fittings I'm not sure what I'm going to do with, but there are so many possibilities I couldn't leave them there, $6. They are U-shaped and a 2x4 will fit into them. They're made of 1/4 thick steel and there are 23 of those, plus other odds and ends of various fittings. We may be able to use some of that on the HydroBike trailer build, and that would save us a bunch.
    ~Two unopened packages of pipe insulation we use for a variety of things and are always buying, $1.50.
    ~A spare dish for Sota, .19. It's like an aluminum Jell-O ring mold, but the middle part is closed. It slows him down when he eats so Sugar gets a chance to eat her food before he's bugging her, and since the center is closed his food doesn't fall down under the dish so he can't get it. His is getting full of tooth marks and it's a matter of time before he punctures it. I've been looking for another one for almost a year now with no luck, so I was tickled about that.
    ~Nine new rugs and door mats with rubber backing, $3. They're mostly seasonal, but we wanted them to scatter around the house to help Sugar keep her feet under her so what's on them doesn't matter. Can't beat that price! Glad I decided against buying $30 worth of floor runner last time we were at Menards. The door mats should work better anyway.
    ~Cute stained glass tulip candle holder for Mom's birthday, .19.
    ~Mesh cookie rack for Mom, .19.
    ~Waffle iron for Mom, $1.50.
    ~Two lids for my T-ware Square-Round containers I have millions of, free. I have a couple that are cracked and would have happily paid .19 each for them, but they didn't want to charge for them.
    ~Small T-ware pitcher of the type I'm collecting to use for individual juice containers when we travel, .19.
    ~A nice Case Logic bag for the HydroBike since the one I'm using doesn't fit into the cubby very well, .75.
    ~The deal of the day, by far: A La-Z-Boy recliner, $18! I just love it. It's higher than most and the cushions are very firm, so I don't sink down in it. That makes it easy to get out of. It's in great shape, just needs some superficial cleaning, but no rips, stains, smells, or worn spots. It's also blue so will coordinate with the couch I upholstered last winter, and the fabric isn't one that will collect pet hair overly much. It's perfect for us, and except for cleaning, it's not going to be a project AT ALL. Love that. I couldn't believe it was still there. It's a different style than I've seen before so no ugly sloppy poofy arms, and it's narrow so doesn't take up half the room. Chester inspected it and immediately approved, judging by how fast he had to take a test-nap in it. So in the past month we've gotten two really nice La-Z-Boys for under $90. So glad now we resisted the temptation to buy the no-name ones at the furniture outlet for $1,200. Remember what I said a couple days ago about being happy to be able to keep $1,100 of our money in our pockets any day of the week? That doesn't just apply to new eye implants!

There's probably some other stuff I've forgotten, but what we got was mostly stuff we needed. We shop sales like most people go to Target or Home Depot, for a lot of the basics, and that's pretty much what we picked up today. We only spent about $40, plus another $20 for gas, but it was well worth it even if all we had gotten was the chair.

I was surprised not to see wire baskets of any kind. I was hoping to find one that will work for Husby's bike. We were thinking about using one we got free at the city-wide sales a couple weeks ago, but it's absolutely perfect for our Bubba Kegs to sit in when we go in the van. Otherwise, they end up rolling and spilling all over the floor, or I have to sit and hold them which gets old fast. So we'll probably be leaving that basket in there. I'm sure something will turn up. But still it was funny there were no wire baskets, not just one that would work, but none at all.

Not much for office chairs, either. I need a new one.

As much stuff as was there, we have to wonder what was there when they opened the doors yesterday morning.

We could have gotten a really nice ProForm treadmill complete with the book for $6, but couldn't get it home in the van. Bummer, because I want to build a treadmill desk but don't want to spend much on the treadmill.

All in all, it was a fun experience. We'll probably go back next year, and knowing Husby, he'll take a vacation day and make sure we're there early to stand in line waiting for the doors to open. LOL.

It's a pretty trip over there on any day, and today we even saw a huge snapping turtle next to the highway, mama and daddy geese out for a stroll with their kids, a black bear, and a deer. It was pouring rain so seeing the bear and the deer was sort of surprising. We love where we live! On the way home, Husby had to stop at the new Timmy's and get a roll. I fear that might become a bad habit. Luckily the place is thirty miles away, but it's right on the route we take most of the trips we take out of town. Them caramel Timbits is mighty tasty though!
    Last edited by Spirit Deer; 06-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We spent the day clearing the back fence of the backyard. Dh w/ a sawsall again-destruction. We have a lot of brush to cut and bag in the future.

DD had such a good day at work she went over 22 min. w/o realizing. I had Mackey so we Wendy's. I laughed because he wouldnt eat a fry until he had his burger and spit it on the seat. We are trying to give him less pain meds and see if he is less aggressive w/ other dogs. This is so new to his personality and he's over 3. Getting a car ride helped today. Everyone needs a change.

SD-I am jealous. One of the major G.Sales that in 4 country neighborhoods was today and i steeled myself. And stayed put.

Hope everyone had a nice day. It was gloriously sunny w/ a slight breeze. I grilled dogs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope everyone has a good Sunday!

We're home from church and I plan on staying in, cooking something good, finishing what I didn't get done yesterday, and enjoying the AC.

See you Monday.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi everyone, Hope everyone is having a great day!!

I spent most of the day outside, planted my flowers in their pots, cut down chives, pulled weeds, picked spinach, and 7 hours without oygen!! Yes!! I dont know what happened but I didnt need it, until I got pooped out then had to put it on and came in.. I never thought I would miss pulling weeds etc!

have a ggod one!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sat out on the deck this afternoon and ate bagels and sausage. Very relaxing.
    We filled the mini pool for Yogi and just hung out. DD got Dh a bag of "the worlds darkest roast" coffee and 2 movie tickets so we cold see Jurassic world. We may go today. We all slept way in and DH is still stiff after a shower so it depends.I think I may whip up brownies but otherwise not much going.

DH has been offered another better paying contract and we are reviewing the ins and outs of it. He likes where he is but this would let him work from home again.
    The travel an hour each way is bad for his leg. The only down side is the 1st acct. is Pac-Rim and therefore weird or flex hours. He has to tell them tomorrow.

DD is up for the assistant manager position at work if she does the 4:30 am shift sometimes. We said we will drive her. The twenty-somethings need all the help they can get and this would help her resume,wallet and confidence. Her friend from Tim Hortons has already been grabbed up by the bakery or she would get her for the cafe too. That friend is trying to draft another girl. lol I am such a trouble maker starting this whole thing by starting up a conversation w/ the store manager. hahahaha!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby woke me up at 9:30 this morning (I was exhausted) and asked if there was anything we wanted to go back to the Cook sale for. Uhhhhhhh, not really, except for a small entertainment center we couldn't get into the van yesterday, since we bought the recliner. He wasn't very interested in that idea, so he procrastinated for an hour until it occurred to me that building over there was full of entertainment centers and we need storage for several places in the house and cabin. I've been going to build shelving, but that seemed stupid if I could just buy something already made, especially if we could buy something nice but cheap. So we quickly unloaded the entertainment center still on the truck from last week, the one I'm going to use for craft storage, and off we went again.

Everything was half price today and they were encouraging people to make offers. The one we had liked yesterday to replace the cobbled together thing the TV sits on in the bedroom now was still there, and like all the other e-centers, the original price was $24, so we offered $10 and they seemed happy to get it. That one fit in the back seat of the truck. Then we started looking for others based on our needs and spaces. We found two larger ones which we got for $10 each, a tall bookshelf for $5 I'm hoping will work out for storing cans of paint in the cabin, and a shorter one to use in our back porch for $2. We're still shocked we were able to cram all that into the short box of our Avalanche. One of the larger ones is in the entry in the cabin, and I'll be storing potting supplies in that. The biggest one went into the middle room in the cabin, and will be used for storing some of our camping gear. We moved the coolers into that already and they all fit nicely. No more having to dig to the bottom of the stack!

So now cleaning out the cabin has become a bigger priority, since while three of these pieces are inside the building out there, two of them aren't where they're going to end up and the whole place is in chaos, worse than it was. The plan is to work on things out there when it's rainy and we can't work on outside projects. Purging the cabin was on the 20 Wishes challenge list for us anyway, and part of the reason that hasn't been done yet is we didn't have the storage we needed out there. At least part of the problem is solved now.

I also picked up a vintage Corningware large casserole dish half price. I already have one like it, but I need another one when I make double batches of lasagna, so now I have it for $2. It needs some cleaning but I may run it through the cleaning cycle on my stove oven and see if it gets ruined or not. That would be the easiest way to clean it up. If it doesn't work, I'm not out much. And I bought a bag of assorted small stuff for $1. Not sure I'll be keeping all of it, but I would have paid $1 for any one of the items so I don't feel I'm out anything if I donate some of it.

All told we spent another $40 today, plus $20 in gas. I couldn't buy a sheet of plywood veneer for that to even start building all this storage, and now it's already built for me and isn't five big stinkin' projects I don't need. We will need to add some shelves to some of the cabinets and do minor modifications, but it sure isn't going to be the work of building something from scratch. So glad I thought of this!

Can't wait for GW to get their expansion done. That has a lot to do with us buying all this big furniture now, because we'll have an easy way to get rid of the stuff this stuff is replacing. They haven't been able to accept furniture to this point, but now they'll be able to and that will help us get rid of stuff in a timely manner. They should have that part of the store open by the end of July.

I really didn't want to go back to that sale today, but now that everything is moved into the house and cabin and the hardest part is over, I'm very glad we did. All of it should be a huge help in getting stuff organized.

To give you an idea how big that sale is, the Duluth news sent a TV truck up there and covered it, and they reported the sale brought in $23,000 just on Friday. Not bad for a little dinky town like Cook.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh is exhausted and in pain so we are skipping the movie.
    I should vaccumn some. We been brushing the animals like crazy but its still furry!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope he's better soon, FW. Maybe not having to commute would be worth it even if it's not quite as good a job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We ended up getting over 2 quarts of cherries into the freezer. I'm definitely pleased. Tomorrow is my daughters birthday and we always make a day of it. Hubby started a tradition when they were just toddlers of taking the day off work and spending it with the birthday child. It started because he wasn't the one around for most of their school things and just the day to day, so it was a way to reconnect with them. Now that they're adults, it's still a way to reconnect.

So no list for tomorrow, I will be busy, but not really doing much...if that makes any sense.

Have a lovely day, Everyone!

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit deer u picked up some great bargains.
    Fw I like the idea of hubby working at home......hopefully do will get the job. Nice of u to take to work....

Hi ladies

Put together our new bed it is tiny . I am afraid of falling out it. Or breaking it..

My daughter told me if I get to a healthy she would buy me a couch purse ...I need to lose 50 pounds. ... I have gained 15 since I have been here.
    I walked today with my walking dvd. When I can finish it it a.3 mile walk. I used to walk this daily. . Wish me luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi all! Desperately trying to catch up after a few days absence. I've been here but we've been busy doing a lot of running around with errands. Grandkids came over yesterday for a swim and play time and they wore me out. I like that kind of worn out

Pinetree I am so happy to read the news of your time with your brother. That is wonderful. I'm so happy for you both. That is just plain awesome!

SD you always find the best stuff at these sales.

Jen my DH loves cherries. They are so expensive here. Usually around 4 dollars a pound. Occasionally we can find them for 2 bucks a pound and he always buys a bunch when he sees that price.

OM I need to lose around that amount of weight myself. I've been working on it since December and making good progress and getting close to the halfway point. How did the walking go today?

FW2 good luck with the job thing for DH. Working from home would be so much easier than the long commute. I hope it works out.

ILC We've been holed up here in the house most of the day too. We went to church then out to lunch for Father's Day then came home and haven't moved since then. It was downpouring most of the day so we were very unmotivated to go outside except for church and lunch. I should do laps around the living room or something to get some steps in. We've been such slugs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hikr, sounds like you've had some fun times lately. Good for you!

We find the best stuff at sales because we're trying to be very selective. Still happy about the new furniture.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jen - what a wonderful tradition! That is so sweet that your DH has kept it up all these years.

Well we finished the railing on the porch and now it has to be painted. It could probably wait another year but I think we should do it now and get it over with. We have been having issues with our dogs barking at the neighbors animals, it doesn't help that they are always coming over on our property, so we had been thinking of putting up a privacy fence in front of the cyclone fence on that side. We had already moved the cyclone fence in from the neighbors property about 35 feet last year and really didn't want to have to do so much work again, so I came up with the idea to attach coroplast to the fence. Much cheaper than a privacy fence and far easier to put up. So we spent Saturday evening and most of today putting that up. Doesn't look as nice as a privacy fence but I'm not going to worry about it. It's more for function.

Monday
    1 - spray off porch railing to get ready to paint
    2 - make dinner/salad
    3 - grocery shop
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rabbit-I feel ya! We just cleared the brush in the corner where the Rottweiler/Mastiff or whatever he is lives. I freaked the the bleep out today when Mikey jumped up and their noses touched over the fence like a not so kissy kiss!
    We have to figure out a way to wedge a privacy fence section in there. I was doing zip ties but I don't think so,it's on a rock pile of boulders w/ minimal dirt to dig into.

OM-thanks,all he has to do is say yes. They offered before but a 6 mo. contract and less per hr. and I asked him to say no but this.this is too good to say no to.

Sd-thanks,he just over did it and has no painkillers left as he has stalled about going in to see the DR. His leg swells scary size and gives him great pain. I kept nudging him to quit that this yard was a summer long project but...geeks w/ a power tool,yikes. lol Not commuting will help because the drive makes him hold his leg in a funny position and messes circulation. I always drive on long trips partially for that reason.
    My lung are still messed up but better than before for sure. Ironically, the yard work is stirring up allergens.