Simplifying my life challenge
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Simplifying my life challenge

update: well, I haven't worked since May 15th. As you all know, I chose to quit my low paying stressed filled job by choice. Life has been out of control for my husband and myself, parents aging and health issues etc. I am feeling a bit depressed today, the weather has been very cold and rainy. $$ is really tight, (which we knew going into this it would be for awhile), and I still struggle to find a routine. I feel a bit lonely, (we live in the country) but will be going out of town next week for my nephews graduation and party. Husbands job is in negotiations, etc. it isn't looking good right now, his company wants to be able to get rid of all benefits and retirement plans whenever they want. This is a huge electric co. and DH has worked there 32 yrs. we didn't see this coming. So now I wonder if I will be forced into working many low paying jobs at once if this happens. I am trying not to lose sleep over it, but it is on my mind. Anyway, this is a challenge for me. On the positive side, I am feeling more happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Buckeye. I prayed for my life to become simpler and it did it lead to new stresses we had to adjust to. My family was turned upside down. We lost our income, home, job, all at one time. We also had drug addiction of , my husband t o overcome.
    it was hard. We found a quieter peaceful life. God is first. No drugs.going out to lunch is a a luxury. Ice cream is a luxury. Simple things are luxury. But I am so happier.....
    Money is tight
    but needs are being met. ..
    for the first time in a long time I see alight at the end of the tunnel. ..

Good luck on your journey. Hope it is not hard as mine. We had to learn the hard way..... hugs sorry I wanted to give u encouragement not hijack it... Prayers said for u .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well yesterday I decided to get my tail in gear. I washed walls, curtains, etc. plus made another nice dinner. Felt more accomplished. Today I have to take my Mom to a dr.s apptmt. leftovers for dinner, and then, looking at bills. I might clean out a close too before I have to get my Mom. Still trying to adjust but yesterday was a better day for me altogether.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just letting you know...I am thinking...and praying for you.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!
    New to me Car Fund $0/$15,000( Deleting this goal as God blessed me with a 3K reliable car which I paid cash for!) God is sooo good!
    Goals:
    Emergency Fund $2,500/ Bal $1,500
    Goal 10 pounds slimmer by June 2019!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

2 days ago was considering getting a part time job, again it would be low wages etc. Then, i started getting in gear and doing things that needed done, talked to hubby and he encouraged me not to do it, that we knew $$ would be tight and it will be until the fall, and that I haven't given it enough time yet, I agreed. today I feel better about things, still concerned about DH job situation with contract, but we have been feeling less stressed overall. So, today I am going to wash windows, they need done terribly. then tonight we are going to a free concert locally that they do every Thurs. and we have never been able to go cuz of my work schedule previously. so that is my update for today, still cooking everyday, trying new recipes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting out of the house helps alot.. and it is free. ...hugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Give it a bit more time.. I am sure you will find that this was the best move for you. I know the 3 years that I got to stay home it was so nice. I liked to plan my days as if I was working so that I could play when things was done.. I love the out doors and spending time with Dh at the time. I could always find things that needed to be done but you also want to give yourself some U time too..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great advice Brat... how are u Buckeye......hope u are well

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am doing ok. I now am adjusting to being home, I have done many things around the house, with tons still left to do. $$ wise, very very tight, but we are happier. I have spent alot of time with family members, and have taken my Mom to Dr.s appt. Although, now we are having a car issue, no $$ for repair right now, but I am ok with it for now. We still have DH truck, so when he is off that is when I do errands. To save money, I watched many videos on You tube to learn how to replace pool liner for above ground pool. DH didn't think I could do it, guess what, I DID IT!!! Savings: $1000.00 also, we are filling our pool up with a hose, no $$ to have water hauled in. It is a huge above ground pool. I am so very proud of myself, (hope it continues to be a success!! LOL) Eating all meals at home, trying new recipes. I am very sore though from doing physical labor, lol. I know I will still get a little lonely sometimes, but now with the pool almost opened (taking awhile to fill up cuz of using garden hose) I know my older kids will come over more. They hate to drive out in the country where I live, now that they are spoiled from living in town and having a few minutes drive to their destinations. Junked one of our old cars that needed repairs, got $350 for it, so used that $ for new tires for our car, that DS has been driving to work and he travels around 2 states all summer as he works for the Nat'l Cheering Assoc. teaching cheering at university camps. etc. One less car on ins. etc. I am thrilled to be rid of another car. Anyway, life is getting better and still worry about finances as it is going to take awhile to get us in a good place, but if died tomorrow, I would die a much happier person!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aww that is wonderful..for what I don't have. I miss creature comforts. But I am happier...it is a much simpler life.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Buckeye, you're learning to do what I always have done. For the most part I've always been a SAHM or SAHW. Instead of bringing in money, I've gotten really good at saving it in ways that contribute to our overall quality of life. I taught myself to do plumbing, appliance repairs, wiring, and all kinds of stuff so we didn't have to hire someone else to do it, just like you did with your pool liner. (I installed our above ground pool from scratch, way back in the eighties. I'm still proud of the fact I leveled it so well the water depth varied less than 1/4" from any point in the circle to any other point. Don't ask me how I did it though, because I don't remember after all this time!)

Congrats on your new-found freedom. The money will work itself out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thank you all!! Spirit Deer, I may be asking you for "How to tips" LOl, my husband just said to me today, "I never thought you would be able to do the liner!" BAHHHHHHH!!!! Mowed grass today, now I am getting ready to weed. Weed wacker broke, so I am doing it the old fashion way!! It will be a late grilled dinner tonight. Wish $$ wasn't so tight, but it is still doable, gonna take us awhile. I am learning many things on my own, and feeling quite accomplished this week. I have paint already purchased so when I get some time in the near future, painting will be done by me!! I don't miss my job anymore!! Loving my new one!!! By the way, Youtube is a great source for self teaching methods. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Anything I can do to help, ask away. I don't know everything by any means but I've picked up a lot of skills (and tools!) over the years. Having good tools, at least for the tools you use a lot, makes a huge difference. I spend a ton of money on tools because it's still cheaper to buy expensive tools than to pay contractors.

I don't work on cars much. I think I just really hate to be greasy. But I could change a tire and change oil if I had to, and know how to check levels, add fluids, read gauges, and stuff like that, which everyone who drives should know.

My husband is the opposite of yours. He thinks I can do anything. He's not very handy himself so he's way too easy to impress!

Can you fix the weed whacker? My grandma, who was born in 1888 long before women thought about burning their bras to prove they could do "men's work" (huh?) taught me you have nothing to lose by trying to fix something that's not working anyway. If you do try to fix something like that though, be sure to take precautions not to get hurt. Especially, wear eye protection.

You hit on why I love DIY myself, that sense of accomplishment. I love making something from nothing! And from stuff other people would just throw away.

I think YouTube DIY videos are one of the greatest inventions known to man (and woman!) I wish I would have had that when I was getting into DIY. It's an amazing resource.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SpiritDeer, my DH is not good at all at fixing things!! LOl Remember, Tim Allen, from the show Home Improvement?? Bingo, I married that type of man!! LOl He does change the oil in the cars etc. His answer to fixing things is.........DUCT TAPE!!!! LOL, but I think I gave him courage to try to learn more by me conquering that pool liner!! LOL I am sure I will be asking you ? at some point, so stay alert!! LOL today, I am home by myself, it is quiet, but I have so much work around here to do. Mentally for me, this has been an outstanding week. Still adjusting the budget and spending, this is going to take awhile, I can't wait to finish paying for medical bills (DH had huge kidney surgery) this will help us to be able to hit other debts, so the time frame is the fall for getting majority of medical paid. I feel hopeful, and haven't felt that way in a very long time. I am enjoying the simple things, and simple victories!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs hugs hugs my Hubs can fix anything just getting him to do it..wonderful builder....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast