Creating a new home - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hubs said no way I was selling my stuff. He was upset I even mentioned it... a new full size bed may come my way. ....my brother bought him one and will not sleep on it. He sleeps on the sofa and has for years. His room is mommy's and except clothes it has stayed exactly the same.. he said he will never sleep in there...so he is giving it to me...I am giving g him my sectional..

So now
    used table and chairs
    lr furniture
    Money for deposits and u haul....

Very nice of my brother
    need 2 sets of full size sheets..... reminder to self

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well we ended up with a full size . I put new sheets it... we are rough on sheets with no air. I think k I will get a couple sets.
    hope we don't fall out of it.. the dogs look so sad because it is too high for them to get into.

my tart warmer quit.. have to get a new one. I am very sensitive to smells which is why I wash my floors in bleach everyday.

This house is old and musty the windows haven't been opened in years...

Lots of bad stuff happened here not 1 happy memory in this house..it is sad...I would like to tare it down...

Ferns are pretty, I have 2 pink roses on what I thought was a dead bush.

Next weekend going budget for grill , meat and charcoal. And smores..Paige has been asking for griled chicken and baked potatoes salad and smores.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I'd find a way to get those windows open and get some fresh air in the place. My ILs never opened their windows either and it never made any sense to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't even know if they open..... I know most don' have screens....... my bedroom does. ..uhm I like open windows....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It would be worth looking into, IMO. If it doesn't matter how it looks, you could tack screening to the window frame outside with a staple gun. It would be a lot more pleasant at night if the house could cool down. To me that's a health issue when you don't have AC.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are they painted shut?
    Do you have an aluminum recycling place there? We sell a lot of screens but you would need to measure first. Most places sell stuff for next to absolute nothing.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OM if you can't open the windows be very carefull cleaning with bleach. Bleach is a very strong oxidiser, than when inhaled, will cause breathing problems and burning eyes. (My teacher in college overboiled her pot of bleach and didn't allow us to open the windows.)
    As said above, please check if you can open the windows, which would probably be a much healthier solution to the smell.
    A more chemical approach to the problem would be to use active coal to absorb the smells rather than mask them. Active coal is not hazardous it is a very porous structure of something charcoal like, that has a high adsorption rate which makes it very good in adsorping about any kind of organic structure, inculding smelly ones. an example of what I mean: Active Coal CTC 70 4 mm Format Coal 1 150M² G 1 KG | eBay

Sorry, sometimes I let my intern chemistry geek come out .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sd we are on a second story .. my brother who is autistic does not want the windows open... it is sad....we have air conditioning it is only on some times due to being able to afford it.. and my bed room does not have it at all. May get hubby to open window it is awful in here

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nikko I don't know if they are painted shut..aynka, i open the d o or when I use bleach.... I love bleach...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OM, it's a health issue for your brother, too, if he gets too hot. I hope you can convince him it's best to open them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you're on the second floor and he's not he'd never know you even opened them.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge July
    $

Grocery Challenge/July
    Goal $250.00
    Total $

Eat Out No More July
    Goal 20
    Accomp/7

No Spend Challenge/July
    Goal 20
    Accomp 6

Change Jar 2019
    $

Christmas Fund 2019
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Little things are killing my budget...the vaccum died awhile back so did the carpet shampooer, sofa is awful
    the microwave only heats and does not rotate looks awful. ..about 6 years old..
    .the dryer is taking longer to dry...
    the bed is full all my sheets are king size...
    my tart warmer quit and I am so smell sensitive I keep it going al most all the time. .this house is musty...
    the only windownside I can open is my bedroom....
    my can opener is about to bite the dust. ...
    and finally Paige stole my scale..
    My brother wil not help me replace anything..so it is all me..
    or fix anything...
    just a vent...
    Pen........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you asked on Freecycle for any of the things you need? You might be surprised what you could find there.

Do you have a sewing machine? It's easy to alter sheets, just one straight seam on the bottom sheet and a straight hem on the top sheet. Didn't your brother have any sheets?

Get a manual can opener. Cheap and reliable.

Make a list of things you really need and start going to garage sales. Set a dollar amount you can spend each week, stick to the list, and when you've spent your allowance for the week, go home. Eventually you'll be able to replace some of these things.

I searched for Freecycle using the name of your town and got 79 hits at www.freecycle.org. You would have to look and figure out which is closest to you if there's anything.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Didn't know about free cycle here..we are rural area..

I don't sew wish I did......mybrothers sheets were wore out.. 1 put a set on layaway and a scale.

My can opener is manual... need to. Buy 2.. always have a back up one..

I bought tart warmer this house is really musty......

1 ceiling fan is up , my bedroom is much cooler. ... the other one is going up todayand a new light fixture in the kitchen....

This hopefully will make it cheerier, we had bare bulbs.....

My bedroom is the cheerist, room in the house...the lr is cluttered bad.. may try to declutter it.......it might help...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

wow, you have been through the mill but it sounds like you've come out the other side with ideas, goals and plans. That's great. I was glad to hear you got your BR window open! Freecycle is great, it's amazing to see people respond when someone posts, "does anyone have.....?"

As for sheets, I'm signed up for Groupon, Living Social and Crowdsavings, it seems between the three, one of them always has discounted sheets, I've seen sets as low as $15. I and some of my friends have tried different ones, they are definitely not the greatest ever but they are fine. One set I have is 2 yrs old, has held up fine. Nomorerack is another site for inexpensive sheets, again, not the greatest but for the price they are pretty darn good.

As a nurse who did home care for a long time, I second the activated charcoal. I don't know how it works but it's amazing. Families will have tried everything, at their wit's end, then they try the charcoal, problem solved. We put an open container under the patient's bed. It lasts a long time.

Do you live near an Ikea? Sometimes you can get new stuff, just as cheap as used, like end tables and nightstands. It's hit and miss on quality but so far out of everything I've gotten from there has held up fine except some cheap dressers but they got a beating in my son's room. We don't have one, I go when I visit my brother in Boston.

keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast