Frugal Village Forums banner

40 day deep clean and organize challenge

11K views 79 replies 8 participants last post by  TDN 
#1 ·
My vacation time hours have been used up (needed to use them up by August 15) and will be back to full time work tomorrow. I do not like housework but it needs to get done. I have husbands family coming September 26 for a family grill out. More importantly I have my first grandchild due September 30 and I want my home to be clean and safe for him. One of my 20 wishes also is to have this done by the end of the year. A jumpstart is needed and I am hoping this challenge works.
I may need to prioritize by task instead of room. Dust , clean windows, etc. I would love to hear your tips on keeping your homes clean and tidy in a efficient manner. Again housework is not a priority for me but I don't want to panic every time someone says they would like to stop in for a visit.

Anybody want to join me??
This could be your home, garage, shed, camper etc.
I hope to be back later this evening to report at least one thing I have accomplished.
The 40 days of my challenge officially starts tomorrow.

#53 ·
Have been doing small cleanups, and keeping kitchen cleaner than usual. Decluttered a box of photo frames. My photos came in the mail and I have a few gifts made.
Ingredients bought for the salad and dessert I'll make for card group tomorrow.
Day off tomorrow, dh will be home and we will be cooking and baking and clean up.
The less stuff we have the easier it is to keep clean and find what I need and life is just simpler, the way I like it.

#54 ·
I agree, less stuff=easier to keep clean! I have had the washer and dryer going almost constant. Washed all the bedding on our bed, all cat blankets ( which I do every week) and all the throws. Been busy putting up food in the freezer but hope to hit the organizing and cleaning hard tomorrow.

#55 ·
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Vehicle

This is my new "swish and swipe" caddy. It is a shower caddy from walmart that they carry this time of year for college kids. It is a smaller version of my cleaning caddy......just has the very basics for a fly lady style swish and swipe of each bathroom EVERY morning to keep them nice and clean. Hope the picture isn't sideways........need to get this ipad posting figured out!

#57 ·
Interior design Shelving Wall House Wood

Giving you something different to look at. I used to keep everything in bathroom in the cupboards but saw an idea like this on Pinterest with the double baskets. Got this at a resale shop about 6 months ago and really liking how it is working out. The rack on wall on left is for my towels but they are in the washer. The box on toilet was a shutter I had ( for decor) and hubby made it into a box for me.....( I have a slight shutter and mason jar obsession when decorating)

Edited to add.....success! Picture turned right way.....note to self, make sure button is in the right hand side!

#58 ·
TDN -- thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. You are doing great.
My card group is gone and it only took about 15 minutes for cleanup.Spent most of the a.m cooking. We had a chicken stew over dumplings, broccoli/grape salad, caramel/chocolate bars. Rest brought dish to pass, more desserts and deviled eggs. The house is quiet again.
I'm feeling calmer in this cleaner/more tidy version of my home :)
Next visitors are due on 12th which is dh's family for a get together. We usually do Christmas for his side but have decided on a earlier get together that will not involve Christmas present exchange. No young ones anymore so we are going to skip the gift exchange. His parents have passed. Will save everyone involved money and the stress of getting one more place at Christmas time. They all need to travel a couple hours and less worry about the road conditions this time of year.
I'm hoping to start decluttering my closets and dresser drawers rest of the week. If I have not worn something in the past year and if it does not fit it is going to goodwill. I tend to have my favorite clothes that I choose to wear.

#59 ·
Dresser draws and clothes closet decluttered. Giving away 2 bags of clothes that don't fit and haven't been worn in a year or more. Gained weight past year since menopause and I need to update my style. Time to move out of the Junior section and dress more my age. I spend more than 40 hours a week in nursing uniforms. My next purchase of clothing will be a couple new ones.

#61 ·
Not home yesterday and out of town family funeral today. Will be busy next 3 days after work getting ready for dh family visit Saturday. Need to set up a weekly plan for keeping this place tidy and clean after that.

#62 ·
I have gotten several more cupboards gone through and organized. Working on my closet now. I am totally disgusted with myself for the amount of clothes I have bought and never wore. Purses I have bought and never used. My part of the closet isn't even that big but the amount of clothes I had piled in there is crazy! I had been waiting( several years) until I got this weight I gained after turning 40 off before I went through it......now bag after bag is going. I NEED to shop smarter! I have started working on my new wardrobe and so far have been very careful.

I am giving myself until the end of the month to go through everything in this house, then like you Kim, I need to have a daily/weekly system to keep everything up. Maybe we can start a new challenge for that? I seem to do better with the support a challenge offers.

#66 ·
Still working on the closet, another bag of clothes in the back of car to donate. Cleaned out the silverware tray and whole drawer, gets lots of crumbs in there.
Kim, I never find anything in our furniture but under the furniture is usually several cat toys!

#67 ·
The family gathering went well. I had no stress this a.m. getting ready for their arrival. I knew I had cleaned every room over the past couple weeks, I had prepared some of the meal last night (24-hour salad, chocolate chip cookies-dh made potato salad). Bratwurst grilled ahead of time and kept heated in slow cooker with sauerkraut. My parents stopped over, my daughter and her boyfriend, and son were here along with Dh's siblings/families. It was a great day! Played cards and than bocce ball as a group and everyone seemed to have a good time. Clean up was easy.
I do have more closets and cabinets to declutter/clean/organize yet.

#68 ·
After work I washed dishes left by dh, washed 2 loads of clothes one folded the other still in dryer. Empty the dishwasher, filled it after company left on Saturday. Otherwise have been hand washing dishes each evening. My organizing for tonight is actually relaxing. My mom gave me 15 of her magazines she was done reading. I'm going through them tonight and planning to take them to work breakroom tomorrow so they don't clutter my space.

#69 ·
No grandbaby yet, due in 12 days! Keeping up with the basics of housekeeping. Dishes getting washed and kitchen clean up after supper being done consistently before I relax after work. I'm making progress. Want to get the heavier blankets hung outside on the next dry/breezy day.

#71 ·
I don't know if I'll actually get to do a deep clean, but I can post what I do around the house to get it tidy and/or clean..... Will that work?

#72 ·
Hi QM, use the challenge any way you would like!
I've heard a saying that a clean/tidy house is a wasted life. I don't agree, (unless you are obsessive/compulsive about it). I had got to the point of neglecting my home, I felt uncomfortable having people stop over to visit. I am trying to simplify my life/housekeeping by decluttering and organizing. Once deep cleaned I will come up with a flexible schedule to keep up with it.
I'm finding that each day I'm enjoying my home more. I am not worried about friends/family stopping over. I can find things easier. I am developing daily habits of washing the dishes, putting 'stuff' away when I am done with it, etc.
Tonight for example, I will be happy with just getting supper made, dishes done, mail gone through to tidy desk top, and get a load of laundry done. Found a recipe for oatmeal/cinnamon bread that I want to bake for a treat tonight.
I've never been a Suzy Homemaker, but I am feeling like my house is becoming a home again. :)

#73 ·
Got living room deep cleaned. Still have one shelf to go yet.. Wont stay that way long I am sure. Kitchen cabinets' are washed down. want to wax them yet. Dinning room about there. Finish up bedrooms and it will be locked down for winter. Do another deep clean in November when I put the Christmas tree up..

#76 ·
Here I go , got to do a quick wipe down and sweep of the house...
wipe down done of main floor, bathroom floor the worst- I should be bald with all the hair I lose! I do have pile of mail to go through later but it is neatly piled by my laptop now.
Laundry started, will have clean fresh sheets to climb in to tonight! Which reminds me I should check the upstairs, respite client stayed a couple nights last week and he comes back tomorrow for a week stay. Bedding should be ok until he leaves next time but I need to clean that bathroom.
4 days left in this challenge.
Mass this a.m. then 10 year old baseball, great day to be outside, gotta love fall in Wisconsin- my favorite!
Have a great Sunday everyone!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.