2016 To Do Challenge - Page 16
Page 16 of 351 FirstFirst ... 6131415161718192666116 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just had a bad scare with WW. I went through about half of my Take-Out Tonight cookbook changing to the new Smart Points and they were coming out double or triple the old Points Plus. We're not talking high calorie sweet desserts here, but healthy stuff with 250 calories and good carbs like beans and whole grains. What?! So I chatted up the chat person on WW and she said they've stopped counting carbs and are only counting sugars. I had assumed when my SP calculator asked for 'sugars' it meant I should enter the carbs, but nope. I was pretty worried because if all my favorite meals were suddenly in double digits for points, I don't know what I'd be eating. Boy, is that a relief! I couldn't figure it out because they had a PDF of the changes for a cookbook I had and I went through and changed it all. Except for desserts most points went down in that book and certainly didn't double or triple.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

pinetree-2 kinds. The kind she has is an allergic response to a cold virus. Like a constant irritation. Our house is dry and pets dont help.

ILC-let me know what you find out. They are keeping her just under full time and didnt give her the asst. mgr. position and that disqualifies her for the company ins. and now she is supposed to resort to medicare? She just got bumped off ours in Oct. I hate this for her. We are not in our strongest position either being on COBRA w/ him on temp contract so if she got ill?? IDK. crap I may google a bit for ideas.

long day. They wanted $1000. to fix the window. The junk yard can install a new 1 for $160. Tomorrow at 9 a.m.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    They are keeping her just under full time and didnt give her the asst. mgr. position and that disqualifies her for the company ins. and now she is supposed to resort to medicare? .
    I hear this all the time and it's so wrong. We're supposed to be so happy they are raising the minimum wage but it's meaningless if hours are cut to where employees cannot qualify for insurance.

I got all the papers done, I started at 4 am after all, called all the MD offices when they opened for their latest notes. Organized what I'll need for taxes so far. Every category has a folder. It took over 6 hours and I did everything but figure out the mileage to all 2015 MD appts, I'm not sure I will have enough unreimbursed medical expenses to make it worth taking the deduction vs the standard deduction. Thankfully, I did not photocopy a 1 inch or more stack of MD notes and test results for my SSDI lawyer. She told me to get them every time I go and then give her batches every 3 mos. Well, I emailed to say I had a big batch to bring in and she says she prefers to do it herself (and bill me). Uh uh, I forwarded her the email where she specifically told me to do it. I did have to pay for one batch of MD notes that the doc wanted to send her directly, that was $78. I cannot imagine how much she will charge me if she duplicates my work and gets that humongous pile. All that work and now she doesn't want it? Not happy.

but now I can move on, the papers were my burden and they are set for a few weeks. Thank God!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ILC, update on snow, now areas may get up to a foot! I hope this doesn't travel back to you, this is the storm that was just in California, ugh

FW, don't you run a cool mist humidifier? We have one going as soon as the heat goes, on, keep the mucas membrans from drying out and catching colds. Also DIL and I get nose bleeds from air being too dry. In Wy. my Mom us eto set bowls of water on top of the furnace vents to get moisture in he air. DS had to have on for his asthma. I never live at home without one,, haha being a smart Axx again, maybe I got too much sleep!! lol

RABBIT, I'm working on a new soy sauce recipe,, this one is easier, will let you know.

SD, WW doesnt work for diabetics? We have to count our carbs, or did I miss something?

Bernice, WTG!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD - last night on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives they were making bulgogi. I remembered reading that name on this thread. It looked good. I could watch that show all day.

I did WW years ago and I kept using my points for the wrong foods. ha I didn't know they had changed the system. I kept my old book and calculator thinking that someday if I wanted to try again I could just start figuring points. Do you go to the meetings? I go to TOPS and really like it. You can use any diet you want; they talk about food exchange in their literature but its not mandatory. I lost 10lbs last year.

Today all I had was my TOPS meeting and that was all. My husband is in charge of running the sweeper while I am gone. He does a better job than I do. Closet door came off the rails this morning so they will fix it tomorrow.

Someone was talking about having more of a schedule. This is a goal of mine this year. I bought a giant calendar at the dollar store and have January all filled out using different markers for different things. Everyday I have something kind of housekeeping. I put baking soda and vinegar in all the drains monthly so now I have a reminder to do that. I have to say it is working out really well and I have had more time to work on the paper piecing project. I should have it done by the weekend.

Friday is our day for going to the store and eating out but since I am in those challenges I guess we will stay home and watch some videos.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, I don't know about diabetics. But it's like any other cookbook, the nutritional info is with each recipe so everyone can determine what recipes are suitable for their own situation.

I thought of you at supper tonight. I made a fresh fried potato hash. I don't know if I mentioned it to you before or not. When I was a kid my mom made it a lot but only used potatoes and onions, sliced thin and fried in bacon grease. I use olive oil these days, and I add in lots of stuff depending what sounds good or needs to be used. Tonight I used two onions and four potatoes, then after those had started to brown, I added a bell pepper diced up. At the end I drained a can of corn and a can of kidney beans and fried those in with the rest till everything was hot. I have to say I'm not wild about the kidney beans so might not do that again, at least till I forget I didn't like it. LOL. Usually this gets served with SPAM and eggs on the side which we had tonight or whatever else sounds good. Sometimes I dice meat up and put it in with potatoes, or scramble eggs in a separate pan and then mix in with the other stuff. I've made this with broccoli, carrots, and all kinds of stuff. It's versatile and it doesn't have to have anything added to it that has salt in it, and it's easy to add as many veggies as you like to make it healthier. The only seasoning I usually use is fresh ground black pepper, coarse ground. Anyway, I know you're always looking for salt-free recipes. It's not a recipe but it's still good. At least we think so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

love kidney beans but only in chili.
    Pinetree-???? what lol. Diabetes is a PITA. You have to count carbs per meal like 3 meals less than 15 carbs per meal. So many rules. And individual people respond diff. plus worse when your sick. OOF.

Dh is on his way finally. He logs 40 hrs a week and 40 unpaid on the dang road. OK well 25.
    Havent heard from Ds since before the 31st. So I messaged him. IDK why he claims family is so important to him.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Earlybird, WW used Points Plus for a while and now they're rolling out Smart Points. I like the points system a lot more than I thought I would because while calories count, it encourages members to eat healthy foods because the points value are lower for healthy food and higher for junk food. So for example, if I eat an orange, that's 0 points, but if I drink a cup of orange juice, that's six points. Huge difference! Carbs from beans, brown rice, whole grains, etc. score much lower points than carbs from candy, pop, and refined products such as white flour or sugar. If the old program worked for you there's no reason you can't use it again.

I was in TOPS and lost about fifty pounds twenty years ago. But it was just me and one other person who took it seriously. The rest of the crowd just came for the social interaction and to complain about not losing weight while bragging about all the crap food they ate that week and making plans for going out to eat after the meeting. I just got tired of it. It was like attending AA with a room full of enablers. But I do think TOPS is a good program. I don't know what changes they've made to the program.

I don't go to WW meetings because the nearest one is fifty miles from me. I wish I could though.

I had to quit watching food shows because they're a trigger for me and I eat a lot more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Enjoyed babysitting today but I'm as tired as a full days work. Grandson is growing fast and didn't sleep more than 15 minutes at a time. He only cried a few minutes when he was gassy otherwise he is a very happy 3 month old. Found out he is ticklish under his arms, so cute to hear him actually giggle.
    For tomorrow, after work I will finish the laundry and put clients bed back together as the sheets are clean and dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
    I go to TOPS and really like it. You can use any diet you want; they talk about food exchange in their literature but its not mandatory. I lost 10lbs last year.
    Is TOPS expensive? I've never really heard of it. I have a lot to lose and I really don't like cooking and experimenting like with new diet recipes. I like to just eat healthier, more fruits and veggies, etc. So maybe TOPS would be a better fit for me than WW.

speaking of schedules, I got the family calendar really up and going on iCloud, parents need some more teaching of how to put their stuff in but it's so easy, I think I might get their buy-in. Paper is a pain when only one person drives and appts change all the time, constantly emailing each other with changes, blech. Put it on the calendar and be done

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

pinetree-have a furnace humidifier which is old and needs babysitting but no personal units. There was this whole bacteria/mold type discussion for awhile so I got rid of DD's and never got another. Funny you mentioned it because we were talking about a decongestant in one for her. I feel like its deep rooted by now though.

Dh is still at the office an hour away. I am happy he has work but I miss him working at home. I know he hasnt eaten.
    I truely feel this is going to be a work harder year and find new ways to make it all work. So glad to discover a junkyard w/ full service. Hope this works out tomorrow.
    SD-I share your opinion. IDK Y but that group wasnt serious when I worked at Fanny Farmer candies either. They would all come in for candy after their meeting like they were giggling and sneaking like kids. And yes I upsold my little heart out!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It depends on the group, FW. Most of our TOPS were a bunch of elderly widows who didn't get out much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

no these were gabby middle agers (not unlike-hmm lol)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bernice, you can get more info about TOPS and find a nearby chapter at TOPS Club, Inc..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pine tree - my tortillas were a bust. They came out too dense. I'm going to keep trying different recipes until I find one I like.

Today's To Do List:
    Grocery store - DONE
    Work in office
    Relax! It's Friday!