2016 To Do Challenge - Page 199
Page 199 of 351 FirstFirst ... 99149189196197198199200201202209249299 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 5254
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Niko-so sorry. I have damaged drywall from a roof leak about 5 yrs. ago in the family room.,the front hall from 2 yrs ago,and the MIL apt. I live in fear of mold when its finally done. I am cattle prodding people to get their crap out of there. DD did a bunch and now i have stuff I cant get rid of myself like an entertainment center and a fold up computer desk/cabinet. Add to the secret fund for the water heater and the freezer I just finished. Next is the furnace. So sick of that song. Its hard not to lose my mind and start just hiring people and spending like a rock star. If I were 10 yrs. younger or had a bigger 401K I still might.
    Sorry about all the worries.
    The first HBP meds I had made me so dizzy I couldnt cross a room and like things were crawling under my skin. This one works better-did you try multiple. The beta blocker are rougher. I didnt know they slowed your heart. He "forgot" to mention that?
    Oh man. When the guy started work on the bathroom ( before we moved in ) he took off some drywall. The inside part.. that you couldn't see was solid black. Not gray... not brown...BLACK. Took off more. The entire inside of the whole trailer was black. Couldn't see it. I don't know how our friends lived here without dying. Even the electrical wires. EVERYTHING. No floor under the bathtub or the kitchen sink once the cabinet was outta there. Sigh...

Just wish we could ... or will be able to find a way ... to have some of it checked out before we give up the business. Course if I hadn't been stupid enough to have had that money on me we probably could have. The roof issue bothers me for sure.

Know what you mean about the 10 years younger part. Maybe start with getting a few estimates from different places and at least have an idea of what you're looking at. It would give you a head start on the crying
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll never catch up.

We're back! Obviously. It was in informative weekend. And here's the irony: We had to go and really, really look at Grand Rapids, Judy Garland's birthplace, to come to the conclusion there's no place like home. We didn't like it there much and we figured out why. I'm always a nervous wreck when we drive through there, which is every time we go to the Dakotas. The traffic is always terrible, but I kept thinking it was probably nervous-making because of towing the camper through there. But this time around, even Husby hated the traffic, even when not towing. We kept comparing it to driving in Spearfish, which is a little bigger but also very busy with, of course, a lot of motorcycle traffic. We finally figured out the difference. Grand Rapids has two major highways running right through it and a huge paper mill downtown. So it's a truck route going in all four directions, plus logging truck traffic through the business district, and major arteries for cross-state traffic north/south and east/west. The traffic lights don't seem to be set right either and we were constantly ending up in ticketable situations because of yellow lights not timed to either allow for us to stop while towing or to clear the intersections before the lights turned red. The left turn signals aren't right either. At one point, we were the second car back from the intersection and when the left signal turned green, we didn't clear the intersection before it was red again. We're not people who push the envelope when it comes to yellow/red lights, and we drive extremely carefully and defensively, always, but especially when towing due to the increased stopping distance and less margin for error. The town is also on both sides of the Mississippi River, and there aren't that many bridges, so the highways end up being choke points where everyone has to drive to cross the river. Spearfish, OTOH, has a nice interstate that runs by it, so if people don't have a reason to be in Spearfish, they're not in town at all. Traffic there is busy but it seems to flow a lot better. The town seems to be laid out more logically, too.

At any rate, we've concluded Grand Rapids is a nice town to visit, but we don't want to live there. So for now at least, that's eliminated, which is worth knowing. Our choices at the moment are, in no particular order: Stay where we are here on the lake, stay here and buy a house in town for winters, or move when we retire to Hibbing or Spearfish. We've sort of concluded we need to focus on the house we have and get it whipped into shape in case we want to sell in 3-5 years. That way, we can enjoy it and not just be paying a lot of money to fix it up for someone else. We've really been questioning why we want to leave here, given that just about everyone who is familiar with our town would love to live here and all look at us like we must have lost our minds to even think about leaving. And that reaction has value for us, too. Maybe we're forgetting to look at the positives here, so we need to do more of that. Hence, there's no place like home. (Now where did I put those ruby slippers, anyway?)

Camping-wise, we stayed at Pokegama Dam Recreation Area. It's a beautiful campground with nice big sites right on the Mississippi, well-maintained, and really great. We'll probably never stay there again. It's right on the highway so lots of noise, which was more or less tolerable and we expected that, but there's also a rail line right next to the campground. When that big HONKIN' train blew by at one AM this morning, it scared the bejeebers out of all of us. The entire trailer shook for several minutes (long train.) It sounded like it was passing by right on the road twenty feet from the trailer! Too bad, because it's such a nice park.

Husby's snoring away in the recliner sedative. Neither of us got much sleep last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Mackey attacked Yogi again and tore him up DH took Yogi to be Euthanized. I am just sick about it and dont think its fair. Yogi couldnt have been given to anyone and he was real flaky to the point of scary but I am just not so happy right now. I called Dd so when she got home it wasnt a shock. I just dont know,it just keeps coming. The whole household will be more relaxed w/o him and I really dont think I could stop it. But its seems so unfair. I mean the dog has bit all of us at 1 point and this is what tips the scales.
    I'm so sorry ... I could almost cry myself. Oh man... wish could say more.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Nikko-right now i am gathering funds,waiting on the Dr. to re-xray his ankle to see where we are and just trying to pry things away from people (me esp.) to clear areas. Then I will go for drywallers. That is 1 good thing about not having Dh's dog here anymore. I was always a nervous wreck w/ him and people here. If the storm has diminished I should grab newspaper from the recycle bins. I have all this glassware,corningware,odds and ends i can lose. sorry just thinking out loud again.

Boy did i luck out. The wind grabbed the patio umbrella out of the stand past the glass table and up on the roof. I took the dogs in,moved the table and it came down in a good spot. nothing and no one injured. So blessed. We have a picture window right there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw - your umbrella incident reminded me that once the wind picked up our patio
    table umbrella and dropped it again. the whole table shattered into a million little
    pieces. looks like a pile of sleet. i hadnt thought about that for a long time.

so glad it missed the window.

they are us under a storm warming but when looking at the map i think it will
    miss us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Called DH and he was like whoa!
    Talked to Ds tonight and he has 1 yr. left and currently he isnt re-enlisting. I told him I was good w/ that but that he has done well being a corporal for about 6 mo. now. I guess his GF visit went well. DD thinks she is an Army bunny so I hope DDis wrong. Stay out of it FW! So trying to.

I dont know where the days go. I got 2 cans of garbage out and it almost 9pm here already!
    Tomorrow
    -call vet for cat vaccination appts.-4 for June
    -get the license issue straightened around
    -DD to work
    -laundry
    -work on mowing again. ETC.!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Got Dmom home! YEAH! Gathered a few squash and turnips. Looks like I may lose only 1 tomato plant from so much water, but I can at least fry green tomatoes if the plant dies. DH mowed the yard when we got back home. It has been a long day. Tomorrow will be busy too. Soup kitchen in the morning, cut coupons, shop at CVS, do a mystery shop, and work in the flower beds if it is not too hot. That may take me several days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

GOOD MORNING ALL!
    Sun after the deluge yesterday.
    dropped DD and shopped for groc-meat,cheese and water. Kroger has good Kraft cheese deal $1.99 if you get 5.
    Got the recycles out.

to do
    clean part of the fridge
    call w/ ins. questions
    throw out more old food
    Start on my 100 items donated goal for this week. I might add or trash to it if I cant get enough.
    2 loads of laundry
    flip Dw

DD has tomorrow off so it is a designated cleaning day. Fingers crossed no one loses thier temper.

So PINETREE-our Robin is such a great mom. She got her 3 peepers through the uber storm we had. She must have covered them w/ her body. Then right after she got busy w/ her mate filling their unendingly open mouths. I hope she can shore up the nest as it is rather mooshie.

I need to get out there and rewash all the mess from yesterday regarding the deck. Just when you feel accomplished? Got grilling meats-sale beef ribs,chicken breast and ground sirloin for tacos.

Need to call Dmom in an hour to make sure she has electric and none of her old giant trees hit the house or anything. They havent maintained them.

GB-take it easy when you can. Glad Dmom got home ok.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FW2--Good job on the cleaning out. I need to do more of that.

Got my coupons cut. Headed to the soup kitchen, then a mystery shop, and CVS for the sales with coupons. Going to harvest the rest of my turnips today. Got to clean out the areas in the garden not planted. Also need to work the flowerbeds and thin some plants.

My chicken marinade is olive oil, basil, mint, seeded serrano pepper, salt, and clove of garlic. I chop the basil and mint in the food processor and then add garlic and finally pepper, salt, and olive oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi,

I spend almost two hours getting rid of things in the shed today.

To do:

- Declutter shed - done.
    - Decide on wedding gift.
    - Run dishwasher.
    - Neck exercises.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

got the chicken marinating
    pulled out 2 more barrels for trash
    cleaned about 1/2 the fridge. (to the studs time and check Exp. dates of the door sauces and such time)
    got the recycles out
    called Dmom/dropped DD
    fixed the storm melee on the deck. Umbrella,tables and chairs reset. still need a quick wash up.

Need to ask the ins. questions
    shop for freezer
    lawn
    nap
    laundry

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a happy hello to all - this has been a productive day. i got up early with energy. got out and walked before it got hot. came home and did 3 loads laundry, cleaned both bathrooms, took the downy cup off the washer and washed it. that stuff is really gooey, i think i might stop using it. i can go to the dryer sheets. made 2 kinds of pudding, decided on supper.
    relaxing now with some pogo online and then will get the clothes put away. i picked a new puzzle to start tonight.
    took 3 bags of trash out.

i think my fridge needs a scrub down soon. i want to "think about" cleaning the oven too. it takes me a while to work up to that. i think its my most dreaded job.
    later i need to get out and plant the few flowers i bought the other day. they mowed and trimmed all the shrubs so i will rake up what they missed later too.

It is such a nice feeling to get rid of the clutter isnt it? i wish those decluttering happy tossing.

tomorrow to-do......dust, run sweeper, work out a menu plan for the next 3 days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did two small mods in the camper today. They don't look like much and I hate it when things that should be quick and simple become problematic. But they're done now and should improve a couple of irritants in there. The first one was to add a hanging hook on the end of each of the fan/lights so the lights face down. They've always hung from the back so the lights faced sideways. Now they're either/or, so Husby doesn't have to have the light shining in his face to read. I did mine too because sometimes it might be better that way.

The second mod came about because we decided not to buy Corelle dishes for the camper. I hadn't really looked at our dishes for two years, and when I did this weekend I realized how well our current dishes really do work for us, with a couple of small exceptions. The first thing is we don't need service for eight, but that's easy enough to fix by removing at least half of them. The Melmac can't be used in the microwave, but there's one Corningware bowl in there already and I have a few dozen more in the house, so I'll just add another to the camper, along with lids. We also have four ceramic saucers I got for a nickel each on a trip. Mostly what we heat in the micro is meat/cheese for sandwiches and the saucers are perfect for that, since they have a high rim to hold in the juices. We still don't have bigger microwavable plates but we had a good discussion between our cheap selves and decided we really hate the cheesy paper plates we've been using, the absolute cheapest ones we could find. I'm sure I don't have to expound on how badly those plates perform, so I won't. So during our explorations of GR's WM, we found some much nicer ones that are microwavable and leak-resistant and bought those. Of course they're much more expensive but I think we can afford to spend $4 or so every three or four years to upgrade our paper plates. The bad part was they're too small to fit our Pop-A-Plate dispenser, which we can't be without because having the plates, napkins, and other stuff under the shelf prevents us tripping over each other and the dog trying to get to the dish cabinet. So that was the other mod I did today, making some changes to the plate dispenser so the plates don't fall out since they're smaller than the standard plates. That actually turned out pretty well and even looks halfway decent, so I'm happy.

Still have to make salads today. I got a new folding bento at a thrift and want to try that out before taking it on a trip, and Husby found a different style, same brand and color (hot pink, which is what he wanted. LOL!) at WM. I'll be packing his lunch into that for tomorrow so he can test-drive his. It has a big salad space the same size as mine, but his also has two other compartments for other foods. Mine is just the one space. We really liked having our lunches packed to eat at rest stops on the road, vs. the usual stupid eating while driving, which is dangerous although we only do it if there's not bad traffic, but it doesn't give us a break from sitting in the truck which is not healthy either. Since I tried doing things this way, our old bentos don't work since I'm trying to get us both to eat more fresh fruits and veggies. I hope we like the new ones.

Gotta get the dock in THIS WEEK. The weather hasn't been cooperative, and then Husby hurt his back before Memorial Day when the dock was on the agenda. But I want my bike! The weather was perfect for a spin on the lake when we got home yesterday but no dock, so no bikes in the lake, and with no trailer, no good way to get them in the water. Oh, well.

Always something more to do around here. It sounds like you're all busy purging. I need to get inspired and do more of that myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikoSan999 View Post
    Dang ... actually got those few done.
    So will add for either today or split up with tomorrow ...

Pots and pans hand washed
    Top of stove cleaned off ( hate hate hate glass top )
    Downstairs floor swept/mopped
    Our bathroom mopped
    The 3 throw rugs washed
    Kitchen swept/mopped
    Living room swept/mopped
    Chair at counter... crap moved off it
    Have a crap ton of coupon inserts mailed to me. Get some of them cut and bindered

Oh yeah... this will DEFINITELY be split between the rest of today and tomorrow
    Arg.... not doing well on second part of list. DO have the bathroom mopped and one more rug which is in the dryer now.
    Rest still waiting to be done.

As it stands pretty sure we're closed tomorrow and Wednesday. He has doctor Wednesday and he didn't get the load taken today so he's doing it tomorrow weather permitting.

Finally caught up. . Pinetree.... how bad was the rental? Feeling better? I hope.

Challenges
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

fw, so when are you going to do something for you?? Naps don't count, they're a necessity sometimes, I mean fun and relaxing and rejuvinating.
    Did you decide to drop the Monday night class? You haven't mentioned it in a while.

earlybird, good for you on a good early start! Did you decide to follow a weekly master list or continue with a daily one?

Gbug, DH and I are doing a staycation this year except for a few day trips. I'd love to get away for a few days but it's not in the budget. I hope you and your mom had a nice time together.

gaja, your DD has a lovely voice and good stage presence. I know you were proud of her.

StartingOver, new appliances, how fun! Are you getting stainless steel or a color?

Tine, you sound like you must feel better since you worked for 2 hours in the shed.

hikr, I've never had a kitchen island but I'm thinking about ordering a small portable thing that I can use as one when needed. So many kitchens don't have room for an island but one is stuck in there anyway, but your kitchen is certainly roomy enough.

SD, way to go on all the camping/traveling improvements you're making in your trailer.

wjcalderon, eating healthier will certainly benefit you even if you don't lose weight, but I bet you'll find yourself losing some. When is your trip?

RABBIT, where are you? (I think I'm channeling pinetree LOL)

pinetree, take it easy and try not to worry about things. Yeah, I know, but I'm saying it anyway.

DS started summer session this a.m. so for two days a week he'll be driving to and from Atlanta. I had a dermatologist appointment this a.m. and apparently have developed a reaction to nickel so I'm on a steroid cream for a few days and we hope that will do the trick. I also have to switch out my gold earrings for "nickel-free" ones. What a pain. At 3 I have my every-3-month periodontist appointment and DH has an appointment at 3:30. When I'm back home I have to do some laundry and some financial stuff. Sort of a lost day in terms of accomplishing much around here.