2016 To Do Challenge - Page 7
Page 7 of 351 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Floors scrubbed, basement vacuumed , furniture moved with help of client and dh. Furnace filter changed and it was overdue!!! Very dirty filter, on calendar to be changed monthly now. Bedding off our bed and waiting to be washed. Once it is washed, dried and back on bed I might take a nap

Next list:
    1)Spend some time outside, it is cold but the sun is shining and the air is crisp. The snow has made everything look clean and bright.
    2)Dust the shelving on all three levels.
    3) Respond to my many Happy Birthday messages
    Last edited by KimB; 01-02-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: It originally sounded like the bed sheets were very dirty instead of the furnace filter. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Birthday KimB! ENjoy the rest of your day!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am living proof that stress is not good. Stress is partly responsible for my stroke, so everyone needs to take heed and slow down. Maybe it is time for some of you to get on a mild anxiety med. I am on a antidepressant because of my stroke. It does not make me sleepy or tired, but I am less stressed. My neighbor laughs and says that she likes me better now. I am not a habitual taker of meds, but that is one that I can say has helped me the most. I am a theatre director and my work is always stressful, but doesn't bother me much anymore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TDN, I haven't looked up anything about stress,, but after having 2 heart attacks in 2014, I know were due to some stress, I can tell you that when I get stressed out now, my blood pressure rises,, my heart pumps faster, I have a hard time breathing, Its not Good. I have found that stupid little thing would stress me, now I am learning to pick my battles, is it worth having another heart attack over, um lets say what some one said? You only have one life, stress shouldn't be part of it.
    I'm just learning all this after almost losing my life. When you are in the hospital, the last thing you are stressed out or are thinking about is how your house looks , or what they said or did to you, or how they hurt you. Things like that dont matter anymore...
    I see peole now getting all upset about things, and it makes my heart hurt, think about all the time that is wasted stressing out about something you can't do anything about most the time.

Dont take this as persomel, I am talking in general.. stress is not a good thing, eventually it will get you. When I was younger I would break out in giant hives, so I know it has different effects.

Kim is a nurse maybe she can add alot more.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, our group is really growing! For all the "new" folks, remember, ANY progress is good progress. Some days are better than others, but don't beat yourself up if you don't/can't do every item on every day's list. Do what you can, be glad, and start fresh the next day.

TDN, I'm so glad (also amazed) that you're not hurt from that fall! Usually when I fall it's at home but there've been a couple of times when it was out in public----oh well, that's life as a clumsy middle-aged woman.

Hi earlybird, StartingOver, KimB, Back2Basicsforme, sallyj08, Jackie, and anybody new that I missed!

pinetree, thanks for the soy sauce recipe! And Gbug for the quiche, and SD for the chicken recipe.

RABBIT, thanks for fostering the kitten(s)!

SD, so sorry about Sugar. It's like having a newborn baby in the house, isn't it? If she was a little dog maybe you could put her in a playpen at night but that won't work for her. Have you talked to the vet? Maybe there's meds she can take? It hurts a lot when a fur baby isn't doing well.

hikr, I STILL can't talk my DH into getting rid of college textbooks and he graduated in '79 and he's retired! I did donate all mine about a year after I retired----and I haven't missed them one bit. I also have my books from my childhood and they are treasures to me.

Gbug, your weather is probably similar to ours----cold, damp, gray, gloomy. Supposed to hit 53 today but on Tuesday the low will be 26 and high of 46. For those of you who aren't in the South, that's cold for us!

For Saturday:

1) Pay January bills DONE
    2) Look at next week's appointments, etc., with DH
    3) Get meat packaged and in freezer
    4) Vacuum/mop kitchen and breakfast room
    5) Gather some old linens for dogs' bedding in crates

Have a successful Saturday, ladies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a semi-productive yesterday. Got the house vacuumed, did some more laundry, surface cleaned the master bathroom and grocery shopped.

I've got to clean the tub/shower in our bedroom. I use vinegar and dawn detergent combination that I saw on Facebook. It works like a charm. I don't know why I keep putting it off. It's very easy!

Hikr00 - I know this will sound strange but I don't have any interests. I don't enjoy sewing, crafting, knitting or gardening. I feel like I work, go home, do what I have to do to keep my head above water. I really am hoping when I retire I will find something. I am involved in a bible study group that meets Monday evenings and find a few things thru my church to help with.

TDN - avid K-love listener here too! I have it on in my car and at work. Love it!

DD had a few friends stay over last night. Made waffles and bacon for everyone and got the kitchen and living room all cleaned up and back to normal. So today I want to:

1) wash bedding on both beds.
    2) clean tub/shower
    3) help DD clean her room

DD16 just got her first job and goes in today to do paperwork and get her schedule. The best part is that they are willing to work around her activities at school. So we will see how true that is. She will be out of town almost every weekend till mid march. She's so excited to have her own money.

I'll be honest I'm not good at responding to all of you but I do read each and every post and am cheering you on, lifting you up in prayer and laughing along with u all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Happy Birthday, KimB!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

StartingOver, is your Monday night Bible study BSF? I do that on Monday nights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Stress does take a toll on the body physically and mentally.
    Limiting caffeine has helped me and I always feel calmer with a good night sleep. (I sleep better without caffeine also)
    Walking and getting outdoors in nature also is calming.
    I agree on pets helping as well, no matter how bad my day has been , when I walk into the house, my bichon shows me how much I am loved.
    When I had a more stressful position at work I did have a couple panic attacks, not a good feeling. I decided the stress wasn't worth having weekends and holidays off and changed positions at work.
    I agree , sometimes medication is needed to rebalance our hormones, serotonin levels, etc.
    Hoping everyone has a less stressful 2016. Take care of your health everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I can attest to the importance of reducing or managing stress. Part of me being out on disability is for a syndrome called POT- racing, runaway pulse and low BP. I can feel the palpitations when I am exerting just the least amt of energy, like walking to another room. But worrying can make my heart race very fast when I am totally still. So this illness is not caused by stress but I can sure see the stress connection. It's been a very stressful year and I had to get a handle on the worrying because even though there are legitimate things to worry about, it was only making me worse. Furbabies, Real Housewives (I know, I know but it's fun!), reading a not too complicated book all helped. But in addition to long term anti-depressants, I do have anxiety meds for when the panic is very bad. It beats a heart attack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pinetree, we got to Lowe's and the clerk printed out a list of all the features of both stoves. I went through and circled all the differences between the two. There weren't that many, but they were some big ones. Both had five burners and were self cleaning, so that was a wash. But we finally realized one was only $100 off and the other was $300 off and had way more features. So we asked about that one and they didn't have any in backstock. And the Midas touch continues. We asked if there would be any further discount if we took the floor model. Why yes, they could drop the price an additional $50, and oh, by the way, if we were interested in getting a Lowe's credit card, we could get an additional 10% off our entire purchase! And 5% off any future purchases with the card as well. Well, where do we sign up? LOL. That amounted to another $75 off. We like Lowe's but don't go there often because of where it's located, but 5% off is better than cash back on our other card, so we'll definitely come out ahead when we do shop there. All we bought there today was the stove, so didn't save any more with our 10% discount but we're happy.

I love the stove so far. What's not to love when it's still sitting in the garage in the back of the truck? It has a convection oven, dehydrator setting, five burners, continuous grates, large oven window, multiple cleaning settings, and all kinds of neat features. If it works as well as it looks like it will on paper, we're going to be very happy with it. I love that middle burner! I use a big frying pan for browning meats in bulk, the canner is big, and the stock pots are big too. Now I can put those right in the middle of the stove and not have to worry about scorching the counters, which has happened in the past. The stove came with its own griddle, too, and I have a really nice griddle already that will work great with that burner. Love that!

We made a quick stop at GW in Hibbing (skipped the one in Virginia) and I saw a round marble platter. Or something, not sure what it's really for. I didn't buy it because it was $8 and I wasn't sure what was happening with the stove. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was that it would be a nice place to set a spoon or something since with the continuous grates on the stove, there's no place to put anything. When we bought the stove I decided I really wanted that, so we went back to get it. It's a pretty white marble about the size of a dinner plate with a nicely finished edge, and I think I'll set it over the simmer burner which I won't use that much. I have a couple beaded, fancy oil bottles that are on a shelf over the stove right now, but will need a new home because I'm getting rid of the shelf. The bottles and a couple other things can sit on the stove on the marble disc. That's my current theory anyway. I also got a pasta cookbook at GW for half price. The SA in Hibbing is no longer open. We liked that store.

The bargains continued at JA. I found two perfect flannels for the DfG project and was going to get two yards of each. They were half price. One of them had 25" inches more than I wanted so I asked if I took it all, if there would be a further discount. That extra portion was an additional half off, so that worked out nicely. I also had a coupon for 60% off an embroidery scissor I've wanted for years, so I got that for $12. No way would I have spent the $30 regular price! We also used another 60% off coupon on double-stick tape, which was a nice bargain.

I got a pretty LED color-changing white star for the top of the white tree we got recently at GW. The star was only $4. I bought a cute little fiber optic tree for my office, too, half price, $5. Menards had all their Christmas stuff half price but we were good and didn't buy anything else. I'll purge my plain little tree that's in my office now to make space for the fancy new one.

Pretty much everything we bought today was on sale in one way or another. Most of what we spent at Menards was for pet food and 600 pounds of corn for the deer. The truck was full today too. All told, we spent over $1,000 as usual when we go out of town shopping.

We worried about the roads for nothing. Our county road was snowy and somewhat slick, but once we got onto the state highways they were bone dry pavement, so we couldn't have asked for better winter travel conditions. It was even sunny. I'm glad we went so this whole ordeal is done.

My worry now is that this will be the beginning of a major appliance whack-a-mole game. All our appliances are at an age where they can be expected to fail at any time. I hate being in that situation but that's how it is. All we can do is replace them as needed. The only one that's expendable is the dishwasher.

Sugar was fine while we were gone, or at least was fine when we got home. So that was worry for nothing, too, luckily.

It's been a long day. I can't keep up with you all!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

600 lbs of deer food??? I am forever amazed by your energy, creativity and willingness to take on just about anything!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well Hunty had his first 2 outside trips in the back yard w/ the 3 other dogs and no leash. W/ the ground frozen he cant dig out lol. I stood out there and watched. He gives them the business if they are too close or rough. Gotta be loud when yer little! Pinetree you should be proud of your surrogate dog.

Working myself senseless to get progress today in the-pantry. Dh is on a playdate. hahahaha! and I have gotten tons more done. So tired. And a shower would definately be an ok idea when I decide I'm done for the day.Whoa.

If I didnt say it. Welcome to all the newbies here and missed ya to the returners.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The deer food should last most of the rest of this winter, we hope. Although if it gets extra cold and/or snowy, we'll feed them extra. It's hard to watch them starving out in the yard, especially the pregnant ones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sd-good deal on the stove. Your going to have all the deer in the forest and then all the hunters! You know you need a color wheel now. They are a lot so amybe a broken one you could fix??

Page 7 of 351 FirstFirst ... 456789101757107 ... LastLast