2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 11
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ugh! I inherited my mom's and Gram's jewellry. Some of it was good stuff, and I keep it, but have no place to wear it as we don't go out to places where a person would wear it. Some is just junk and needs to be tossed. But that's for another day...when I'm de-cluttering the bedroom.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wear jewelry for myself. I don't need to have a place to go. My good stuff would never get worn otherwise, and for me that would be a waste. I didn't buy it so it could sit in a drawer. I should really wear it more though. Usually I just wear a plain gold wedding ring I got at a pawn shop years ago because I can't wear stuff that catches on things. I have a lot of Black Hills gold I really like but forget to put it on when I'm not doing heavy work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was ironing an unused pair of pillow-covers (from late MIL's) when I realised that, unused or not, they were NOT what I would use so - into the donations bag they went. That was yesterday evening.

Today, I decided that the two tin whistles and the two fifes - uplayed for years! - can also go in the charity-shop donation sack. They were just lying on top of the piano, cluttering up the place. What do you think - will tin whistles sell??? Maybe some indulgent grandparent will buy one for their grandchild and annoy the kid's parents!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Toffeekit, yes I think they'll sell. I had a tin whistle and a fife on my piano for years. I sold the piano on Kijiji, and then another man came to buy the tin whistle! They actually sell. I couldn't believe it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Old tin toys are highly collectible, at least in the US.

I was looking at four bread machine cookbooks this morning and realized they were two pairs of the same thing but different editions. These are the little magazine-style cookbooks that are offered here at the check-outs in grocery stores. I hate that they're so sneaky. They'll rearrange the recipes, give them different names, change categories around, put on a different cover, maybe add a couple new recipes, and then release it as a new cookbook. So I dumped the oldest ones of the two sets. Not much but it's something. I need to go through cookbooks again, even though I actually have empty space on the shelves now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We did quite a bit in the last few days.

On that one side of the kitchen, only left to re-organize are the cabinet on top of the fridge & 2 small catch all (aka junk) drawers. I am planning to get that cabinet done this evening, has to wait for DH since he can reach to back of that cabinet for whatever get pushed back there.

Yesterday, DH pulled out the weeds & cleaned the front lawn & back patio. He also re-arranged our collection of teapots to be in the same glass cabinets.

We only threw away a few broken items, nothing to donate or give away yet. I think I am not quite ready to part with our collections yet. But I know I am training myself not to buy/add any items to our collections.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What's with people? I had a lady on Kijiji ask me if I would hold the brass piano lamp for them for *2 weeks*!!! I told her 'no'. DH and I have already decided to take everything off kijiji, which is dead right now locally, and haul it all to the Salvation Army thrift store this week. Enough is enough. We want this junk outta here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As my diet buddy says, people suck. LOL. We had the same crap with Freecycle, too. We figured we're giving the stuff away, we shouldn't have to cater to people who say they want free things but don't want to make the slightest effort to deal with getting it, too.

I combined a large bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap with a smaller one which made a little space under the kitchen sink. I also emptied a bottle of Dawn dish soap into the dispenser so I can get rid of that, since we're overstocked on it for some reason. I also combined a partial bottle of Woolite that I think we inherited from FIL, meaning it probably was bought by MIL who died in 1992, with our regular detergent so it gets used up. I'm on a mission lately to use up all the unused cleaning products in the house that have been here for years even if it's not my favorite stuff. A lot of it is under the bathroom sink and we won't have room for as much of it when we have the new vanity put in this spring. I've tossed a few useless cleaning items lately, too, but I forget exactly what now.

I used Tilex and cleaned out the wooden breadbox that was stored in the garage and which mice had messed up. Ew, ew, eeeeeewwwwwww!!! Disgusting little varmints, even if they're cute. Luckily, Husby had already gotten rid of the worst of it. Tilex has bleach so that should have killed everything. I'm going to wash it again with Murphy's and then paint it, so that should take care of all the mousiness. The breadbox is going into Husby's office on top his pop fridge so he has a place to store his snacks I can't be trusted to keep in the kitchen. I've had it for years and didn't want to get rid of it because I like it, but we don't have enough bread out at a time to have a breadbox in the kitchen. It'll work out great in the office.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, I can relate about the cleaning products. Mom died in 2007 and we are just finishing using up her cleaners. Plus we have cleaners from a co-worker of DH's who moved. And then there are the cleaners from DD#1 when she moved. We haven't had to buy cleaners for years! I hate to think what they're doing to the environment though. I just don't use chemicals unless there's absolutely no other option.

I haven't done much de-cluttering today, but I have been preparing for the haul to the thrift store on Wednesday and Thursday. I also contacted my friend with the hoarder husband to offer up a plastic storage set of drawers to help her get her situation under control...if she has room for it. Honestly, I don't think it will make much difference, BUT even a little bit of organization is better than nothing there! They need serious intervention.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it depends a lot on where you live how much of an impact certain things have. We don't use much for cleaners outside on our property, because we know with our hill any runoff will go directly into the lake. We rarely use bleach if it's going into the septic tank because that'll kill off the good bacteria and then life could get interesting in a bad way. If stuff is going to percolate through the soil and be naturally filtered before it gets to the ground water, then I'm not too concerned about using mild chemicals. And sometimes it's just unavoidable because the environmentally friendly stuff usually isn't very powerful, which is why there's a market for the more heavy duty cleaners.

In your case, if you're going to pour the stuff down the drain or dump it into the landfill, you might as well use it. Then it's going through a treatment plant if you pour it down the drain and it's diluted, too, and enters the waste stream in small batches instead of straight from the bottle all at once. And at least then you've gotten some good out of it.

And of course, as our vet so astutely pointed out, everything's a chemical.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thank your vet for a good chuckle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, he's right!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Had a good weekend and ditched 300 things. Over-filled 5 grocery bags to donate and trash and completely filled the 100 gallon recycling can. Worked in my sewing room, the garage, the laundry/cleaning supplies, and the medicine cabinet.

I'm tackling all the "easy" stuff before I move on to papers.

4/52~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not much going on here. Sold a few more items this week.
    Won't be doing much the next couple of weeks as we are going on vacation to Hawaii on Sunday. we plan on talking to a realtor or management company and try and get an idea of what it will cost to rent and what are some good areas that fit our lifestyle.
    Will be back at it when we get back as DH does not like his job as there have been lots of changes the last year, so we may just take a leap of faith and move.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Enjoy your vacation! I hope you can find the info you're looking for and it'll be favorable for you. We took a leap of faith when we moved here in 1990 with no jobs and not much money. It was a long road but eventually it worked out great. Not sure I'd do it now at our age though! Although we've talked about it and as long as we have enough money to move back in case things don't work out, we just might. Hard to say at this point.

Sorry the job isn't going well.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast