2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks SD. I've already pared the girls work down to the two boxes, mostly DD#2's stuff, as I've already sorted DD#1's and put them in 1" binders. It could do with further paring I'm sure.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have so much stuff after 30 years of marriage and I'm tired of it all! I'm seriously looking to get rid of a lot of things. If I had to pack this house up and move quickly it would take me forever to get it done! Time to minimize the stuff!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today's declutter was
    1. a packed-away box of half a dozen vintage glass dessert dishes (that I bought second-hand anyway!) - used once. They'll go to the dealer who works for a charitable organization; she's very effective at getting the best possible prices for the charity she works for.
    2. a scarf that MyLovelyMan's mean-spirited b*tchy sister gave me one year, at Christmas. Not my colour(s); scratchy. I've tried it as a table runner and it doesn't work so - donated.

I sometimes wish we could donate the sister . . . Any takers?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am going to start on my bathroom (BR ensuite)

It is such a mess that I don't hang out there much.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $2600.00
    My savings: current bal. 100.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2018: Done
    Replace wooden pathway with concrete
    Cemetery Plots and burial plot for kitty
    Payments for cemetery products $80.00/$1875 per month x2 yr. begun in March 2017
    Pay off old and closed credit card

Projects for 2019:
    New porch (from dh's vacation fund, this summer)
    New garage door (next week, $900+tax)
    Hire out yard clean-up, bush trims, weeds ($400)
    Major declutter house (in progress)
    Major declutter garage (in progress)
    Re-decorate my bathroom (in progress)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hmm...I'm going to consult with DH. We need a game plan other than to just declutter and clean every Saturday. I don't want to be doing things helter-skelter. I'm still thinking basement. But he might be thinking something else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in too, we have a few major changes in the next 2 years, need to declutter/purge to simplify our lifes. DH agrees too. So posting my progress might help me to stay on track. I am not going to set a time frame on what need to done by when, because sometimes we can get a whole lot done in one weekend but could be months later before we find time to work on another area. I have a different approach this time, 'declutter/purge daily, 5-10 mins at a time', & then 1 day a month to do a more detail decluttering on the sections I've been working on in the last few weeks. In a way, a systematic approach, let's see how this work out for me in 2016.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Peanut, I think the basement makes good sense for several reasons. It'll give you someplace to sort into, and it probably contains a lot of stuff you don't have any big attachments to, making it easier to purge and get in the habit.

OTOH, if you have tons to purge and things aren't well organized, then it's probably not possible to do things in a linear way. For us it's been circular, because everything we had to do had things that had to be done both before and after the targeted task. All we could do is jump in at some point in the circle, do the minimum we needed to do to work on a task, and go from there. Usually that meant jumping back out of the circle after a task and jumping back in at some unrelated point. Getting rid of the pool table is a perfect example of that. I'd have love to do things in a certain order, but because of the space the pool table took up and the difficulty of getting rid of it, so much of our plans had to be delayed till we could get rid of that. That's why we had the big freezer and the dining room set in the LR for so long. But we just worked on other things till we could work out the pool table issue.

I finally decided it doesn't matter what we do, as long as we're making progress. Eventually things will start to come together like you want them to, but it might not seem like it for a long time. I make a lot of lists of things that need to be done around here, but if we decide to work on something that's not on the list but still needs to be done, we just go with it because it's still progress and it all has to be done sooner or later. This year we've gotten more done than we ever have, but most of what we did was not on any of our lists.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cleaning out my home in preparation for a move. It's amazing what really means something to me and what doesn't. So, I am just tossing things left and right currently. If someone else can use it then I pass it on. I gave my niece a bunch of craft stuff to get started with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're real wishy-washy about moving but haven't ruled it out at retirement, which could be as early as three years from now. It's a good incentive even if we don't move. And you're right, thinking about having to pay to move all this crap does help put in perspective how important some of this stuff is. Three years is going to go by in a flash, too, so we know we don't have as much time as it seems if we want to be ready to list the house and move at that time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today's declutter - six unused shot glasses, wrapped and in the sack for the charity donations.

Why did I have shot glasses? I don't drink shots . . .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I ask myself questions like that all the time, TK.

I purged two large pieces of fabric by cutting them and serging them for a charity project I'm working on. I'm not sure I can count them till they're done and gone though. Still, I'm happy it's started now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm de-cluttering the fridge by using ingredients to cook appetizers for tonight. Does that count?

Actually, DH helped considerably by cleaning up his presents and the mess associated with them this morning. They've been strewn all over the love seat and surrounding area since Christmas Day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yesterday I Cleaned out my office desk and shelves. Threw away the receipts from Christmas gifts and any other papers that well not be needed any longer.
    Cleaned out the coupon binder and threw away the expired and the ones I know I will not use.
    Today cleaned out the junk drawers in kitchen they were not to bad been trying to keep them organized. Did get rid of about 25 pens can't figure where they came from as got rid of at least double that last year. DH will take them to work so they will be out of here.
    Gave my son some extra bowls and a new pan I had and have not used and a pampered chef measuring cup that was in a box of stuff to sell or donate so a few thing out of here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the idea of decluttering 2016 things in 2016! I am going to join in and see how many things I actually give or throw away this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Starting the basement today. Went through one filing cabinet drawer and came out with a 10" high pile of paper to shred or recycle. Found a box of picture frames to sell at the garage sale or online.

On an up note, our pastor and her DH were over last night for the first time since last winter. She commented on how much more open the living room felt, and the house in general. It's because we moved the bookcases behind the sofa into the hallway. Our hallway is a 4' wide hallway, so the bookcases (10" deep) just fit with room left for people to walk.

She also claims she hadn't seen the kitchen finished. Hmm...makes that over a year since she's been here. She was quite excited by all the positive changes. So am I! And motivated to continue now!

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast