2016 Household Purge / Declutter Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First of the year: I asked MyLovelyMan to look IN the stove and in the storage shelf under it and do a triage of oven trays and the like. I just said Please decide - keep the best, get rid of the rest. So he did!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Finished the second drawer of the filing cabinet.

Found 4 boxes of old homeschool projects and exercise books under the basement stairs. Checked with the girls, now 28 and 31 respectively, and neither wants any of it. So it's off to the recycling it goes!

Added some boxes of unsold self-published books to the shredding pile.

All told I de-cluttered 7 boxes and several miscellaneous office items, like binders, etc.

Next up? I'm working on frames in the big camping box. I want to use some and get rid of others. Ultimately I want the camping box empty and used for my dye equipment. I'm thinking on this one. The photos frames in the camping box are nice pewter and ceramic ones my mom bought and I inherited. I'd like to set up a nice picture display on the mantel. But that would require getting photos of everyone in the family, and clearing off the mantel, which is currently a cluttered mess. Hmm...

So the domino effect actually starts with clearing off the mantel. Hmm...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's what I mean, everything is circular. There's no starting point or stopping point, because one thing leads to another and another and another.

I'm working on the DfG project today and that means using up some of the spare fabric in my sewing room, but I'm not quite there yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dropped a bag of clothes at Volunteers last Saturday. I have a box started with some dishes & misc items to donate. Gave a lady at church a stack of 14 plates the week before Christmas. She gives away cookies at Christmas & she was going to use the plates for that. So right now I am going slower. Cleaned out my closet of home canned goods & dumped anything that was old today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sold a pair of UGG boots that I bought at the Salvation Army for $50 today only paid $5 for them so a nice little profit there. Sold a pair of lined denim pants that were DH that he no longer needs. Selling a box of random kitchen stuff that has accumulated around here from the kids that ended up back here after they moved out and acured new or better stuff.
    Have some more stuff listed for sell hoping to get it out of here soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yeah SD. I know. I de-cluttered the mantel and brought up the nice pewter picture frames, only to find none of our photos fit them! Now I don't know what to do. Maybe sell the frames online? Or save them for the garage sale in the spring?

I tried to get rid of a ceramic tower and gecko my DD#2 made in school, but DH wanted to keep it. Why? What does it add to our living room? Nothing. DD#2 said we could get rid of whatever was left here of hers. I asked DH if he wanted to find a place for it in his room. He gave me this look. His room is a disaster zone! So it stays on the mantel for now.

I think I've reached the limit of DH's ability to handle change. I've done a lot of purging today and he's perhaps feeling a bit uncomfortable with it. There's a lot of work involved in getting rid of things. He's the one who shreds everything here. And he's settled in for the night on his laptop. He doesn't want to do any more de-cluttering.

Now the mantel is cleared there is room for DH's mantel clock, that is being kept in his room. Hmm...if it's not got one thing on it, it's another!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Talked to DH tonight and he doesn't think we did very much de-cluttering at all! Hmm... We got rid of the equivalent of 9 boxes of stuff. Not sure what his problem is with that. I know we have a lot more to go. But it can't all be done in one day. Decisions need to be made and then it needs to be a) sold, b) donated, c) recycled, d) shredded and trashed, or e) trashed. Managing all this is enough to make me not want to ever have this much stuff again!

Registered User Back2Basicsforme's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to participate in this challenge too! I have a small house and too much stuff! Time to clear it out this year! Eventually we want to buy a bigger house with more space. But either way, less stuff to pack and move when the time comes. And to begin the new year off on a good step, while taking down the xmas decorations, I sorted through old and or broken things and got rid of an entire garbage bag worth! One full tote worth! It felt good to reclaim that little bit of space.
    Last edited by Back2Basicsforme; 01-01-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Wanted to add todays purge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, no, no, no. Never ASK if he wants it in his room, TELL him if he wants to keep it, it goes in HIS space! LOL! There are exceptions, of course. I did that with all the useless crap Husby wanted to keep in the guest room like old TVs that didn't work, speakers he never used for the computers, and just stupid junk that made no sense. Funny how much less valuable it all became when it had to go into his space. Don't worry about your husband. Mine is change-resistant, too. It takes time, and you really can't do it all at once. We work on stuff and it does reach a point where our brains are mush and we just can't handle it anymore that day. Doesn't mean we don't want to get rid of stuff or that we're arguing about keeping things or that we won't get back to it, but we just can't handle anymore right at that time. But once your husband starts to see some open space and appreciate that, it'll get easier.

Are your pics too big? Can they be cropped for the frames? If they're too small they can be matted.

I handled a lot of the shredding after Husby sorted. It only made sense because his time was more valuable for sorting, not doing the mindless grunt work of shredding, and he has a full time job while my schedule is more flexible.

I never feel like we've purged enough either. I think it's because I just want so dang badly for all this mess and work to be OVER. And I feel like you do, I never, ever want to let it be this bad again. That also makes it easier to let stuff go, because there's just no way to organize ourselves out of the mess, we must purge.

I wonder how many truck/trailer loads we've taken out this year. It's been a lot. In a normal year we haul out a truck and trailer full of household trash twice. I wouldn't even venture a guess how many we've taken out this year. Which I guess is last year now. We've hauled out old wood from the yard, lots of assorted junk from the garage, brush, old cabinets, other old furniture that we disassembled before hauling it out, etc. And that does not include the loads and loads and loads we've hauled to GW, plus all the stuff we hauled into town and sold on the garage sale, and the mountain of cardboard boxes we've emptied and broken down to be recycled and then hauled out. Husby tracks all that stuff and we pay to dump it by the pound, so I should ask him how many pounds we took out. That wouldn't include the donations or any of the recycling or the old TVs and computers, but it would give us some idea. And then of course there's the best thing we got rid of, the pool table! Yea for the absence of a pool table! We both love that new space. What a great end to the year, getting that thing out of here after we thought we'd never find anyone who wanted it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome, B2B. Ya done good! Every little bit helps. Hey, you might even find if you purge enough, you won't need a bigger house!

Peanut, if you're planning to shred your extra books because I said I shred my unpublished mss., I wouldn't bother. Where's the harm in just dumping them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think as long as the books are on sale somewhere I have to either sell them through the bookstore/teacher store or shred them to get rid of them. At least, that's what I've been told. They are technically for sale in two places, though I haven't heard from either place in years. But I'm under contract to one of them to not sell or let them go for under a certain price. Stupidest deal I ever made.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I see. That makes sense I guess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Yeah SD. I know. I de-cluttered the mantel and brought up the nice pewter picture frames, only to find none of our photos fit them! Now I don't know what to do. Maybe sell the frames online? Or save them for the garage sale in the spring?
    Don't "save" them until . . . . If you had been going to sell them, wouldn't you have done so by now? If you donate them, they will be bought by someone who will enjoy them NOW.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Today's clear-out: cat toys that I've been saving for when we run out of cat toys.

See what I mean, peanut, about not saving stuff?

I had some in a bag in a cupboard in the kitchen: some new, still in their packaging, some used. I threw away the used ones and put the unused ones into the sack for donations. There are still quite enough cat toys lying about the house to keep the catties amused until this time next year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in!! Hoping for at least 2016 things to be either sold, donated, or put in the trash. We are 6 people living in 1000sq ft and need to get rid of as much as I can. Im going to be starting with clothing (after I finish this pile of DVDs) I have around 25 loads a week and I'm over it. So over it that I started using disposable diapers, which is not helping my pocket book. Im hoping to keep 5 days of clothing and 2 Sunday best for everyone. Then if that still seems like too much I will downsize to 3 days and 2 Sunday best. I've pinned a bunch of rips on living minimally and along with spending less is my "resolution" for the year.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast